Farmers from 30 provinces to march into Bangkok

webfact

Farmers from 30 provinces to march into Bangkok

174546-imagejpeg-256454-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Farmers from more than 30 provinces across the country will march to Bangkok to demand payment for their rice from the caretaker prime minister.

Association of Thai Rice Farmers president Prasit Boonchoey said farmer representatives from over 30 provinces across the country would meet to discuss preparation for the march to the capital today.

He said farmers would like the caretaker government to confirm clearly the exact time for the rice payment after having put it off several times, thus putting grieved plight and trouble to poor farmers.

But he said that the exact date to march into the capital and at which place they would go was not fixed yet depending on today’s consultation with farmers from other provinces.

However he made clear that the arrival of farmers in the capital had nothing to do with the anti-government protests but just to ask when would the government pay them money.

He said he did not want the association to be accused by the caretaker government of coming to join the anti-government protests.

He added that farmers had two main objectives to wage their protest in Bangkok.

The first is to demand for rice payment, and the second is to oust the caretaker prime minister, he added.

Earlier Mr Prasit joined the protest stage of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee on the Democracy Monument demanding immediate payment from the caretaker government. He recalled how farmers have suffered from the belated payment for the rice and vowed to join anti-government protests.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/farmers-30-provinces-march-bangkok/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-04

The first is to demand for rice payment, and the second is to oust the caretaker prime minister, he added.

One way to oust the caretaker prime minister is not to vote for her. But what do you do? Most of the rice farmers continue to vote for her.

Memo for rice farmers: your threat is empty when you continue to vote this way....but you know this already.

You are correct , they talk a lot only, and they still elected the snake back in to govt.

• Like 2

Sounds like the working class revolting against a corrupt government. They want a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Rice pledging, Tablet computers, credit cards for taxi drivers, all corrupt schemes which made corrupt politicians rice, and the Shin Dynasty stronger. coffee1.gif

Oh dear, will the red shirts be attacking the red shirts?

How will the TV Red Shirts handle this?

They will blame the the World bank or Moody's or UNHCR or Human Rights Watch or the DEMS or the Environmentalists or the corn farmer or academics or global economists or IMF or the EC or Suthep or the banks.

​Get ready….

Apparently the ice farmers and their leaders do not understand the phrase "we have no money left to pay you"

While I feel sorry for the farmers, it was many of them who voted in the PTP and were suckered in by their lies and false promises. Thou shall not worship false Gods

the goverment can raise the debt level by printing more money to pay the farmers same as western country did, it would devalue the baht though that might improve exports with a weaker baht

Anyone for a game of Monopoly?

can you imagine what that would do to import prices!

He said the farmers would like the gov to confirm clearly the exact time of payment.

So all the gov has to do is give them a date again to make them happy. I guess they still have not learned that the gov doesnt have their money and it will be a long time before a real gov can come up with more money to pay them

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Sounds like the working class revolting against a corrupt government. They want a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Rice pledging, Tablet computers, credit cards for taxi drivers, all corrupt schemes which made corrupt politicians rice, and the Shin Dynasty stronger. coffee1.gif

Indeed the corrupt politicians are rice from this rich scheme! whistling.gif

Since there is lots of rice in stock, can PT government pay back the Farmers in rice plus interest? Problem solved.

Example. If Farmers bought sold 1 ton to government last month, they can go back to take back 1.05 ton of rice (5% interest).

Careful what you wish for, it may come true.

Farmers will success in kicking out Yingluck govt, just to find that the next govt provide no assistance to farmers what so ever.

Did the constitution say farmers must have the right to receive freebies?

Indeed the corrupt politicians are rice from this rich scheme! whistling.gif

When they get good and truly boiled they will be Khow tom.

I reemember a few months ago reading an artical that said that they were going to stop the rice scheme or reduce the amount they payed to the farmers. The farmers then marched and demanded that the government continue the scheme for this last harvest. How many of the farmers from the 30 provinces that have not been paid were the same farmers that marched on the government to keep the scheme going even after the government said it could not keep it going. How many of them would have been paid if they had sold at smaller mills.

I,d like to see the actual election results, I suspect the number of votes for Taksin to have dropped as there was no enthusiasm for PT and the farce over how much money would be paid went on far to close to the actual voting..

The serious worry for thousands of these farmers are the private loans they owe and the ridiculous interest rates, someone needs to come up with a credible plan ASAP otherwise major social unrest and personal tragedies will follow. There is the problem that the next lot of rice will either not get planted or not put on the market.

• Like 2

Good.

I am 100% sure that the Bangkok "people" will help the poor rice farmers remove this corrupted scheme forever.

It is having too much tax-payer burden on the Bangkok "people"

Edited by Suriya4
  • Like 2

Good.

I am 100% sure that the Bangkok "people" will help the poor rice farmers remove this corrupted scheme forever.

It is having too much tax-payer burden on the Bangkok "people"

Its having 'too much tax-payer burden' on the nation, its not just people in Bkk who pay taxes. Its not like this was a surprise, it was pointed out before it got started it was a flawed policy doomed to failure.

Apparently the ice farmers and their leaders do not understand the phrase "we have no money left to pay you"

While I feel sorry for the farmers, it was many of them who voted in the PTP and were suckered in by their lies and false promises. Thou shall not worship false Gods

the goverment can raise the debt level by printing more money to pay the farmers same as western country did, it would devalue the baht though that might improve exports with a weaker baht

Isn't the baht pegged to the US Dollar? Seems nothing moves it much as it seems to float up and down with the US.

• Like 2

He said the farmers would like the gov to confirm clearly the exact time of payment.

So all the gov has to do is give them a date again to make them happy. I guess they still have not learned that the gov doesnt have their money and it will be a long time before a real gov can come up with more money to pay them

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The rice farmers know that in order to get payment they have to create a fuss so every person in Thailand can hear them. Once their voice is heard then all heads will be banged together and told to complete payment as a priority, regardless of the politics.

The PDRC wants to turn them against PTP.

However, as the election showed, they pretty much all support PTP and elections were held without issue in the major rice growing areas. Once the PDRC realise that they cannot turn them, and once pressure from above is applied to tell the PDRC to stop interfering in the payment to poor Thai farmers by lobbying banks to not support fund raising, then they will be paid.

This is why the farmers are clearly saying that they only want their money, they are not anti-government. once this message sinks into the PDRC backers then the problem of payments will be able to be eliminated.

As an aside, I see the rice farmers are going to ask the Royal Household Bureau to help them, which is of course a very good way for them to get heard and get these problems sorted out asap.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/webmobile/national/Desperate-farmers-seek-help-from-King-to-get-rice--30225969.html

All in my opinion of course.

I believe an independent investigation team looking closely at biggest government projects can produce enough evidence to lock this crooks behind the bars and pay the farmers from their seized assists. No need to look for another way to get rid of sinaclan.

• Like 2