Enameled speaker coil wire.

ThaiWx

Does anyone know where in Chiang Mai to buy a small roll of the red enameled wire used in speaker coils and transformers? My searches of the popular electronics shops around have not been successful.

Appreciate any help.

post-114070-0-30614400-1391560040_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

Have you tried the little shop just down the soi on the west side of the Old City, inside the moat.... If you are traveling south along the inner road along the moat, it's the soi about 25 meters before Suan Doak Gate. Turn left, go about 20 meters and the shop is on your right side. It's a full-service electronic shop specializing in speakers, and carries all the parts and pieces that Amorn used to carry; resistors, caps, pots, switches, jacks, sockets, replacement tips for soldering irons, clips, etc., etc.

No, I haven't tried that area yet but I will check it out. Appreciate it. Yeah, I remember when Amorn used to have a lot better choices for wire, components, and such. It's not what it used to be.

Thanks again!

edit: I just looked on Google street view and see a place where you describe called "T. Ham Shop" . This place perhaps?

post-114070-0-70291400-1391563660_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

No, I haven't tried that area yet but I will check it out. Appreciate it. Yeah, I remember when Amorn used to have a lot better choices for wire, components, and such. It's not what it used to be.

Thanks again!

edit: I just looked on Google street view and see a place where you describe called "T. Ham Shop" . This place perhaps?

Yes, that's it. There are two shops right next to each other. I don't know if they are related, but the one on the right has always had what ever I was looking for.

go down sunday walking street, away from the moat...make left turn at first big intersection....keep eyes open on right side for small repair shop, youll see spools laying around.

go down sunday walking street, away from the moat...make left turn at first big intersection....keep eyes open on right side for small repair shop, youll see spools laying around.

Thanks, I'll check that area out too. I just can't believe that there are so many speaker and transformer repair/builders around town and how hard it is to find this wire that they use.

By the way, I like your forum signature! Not so easy to do over here.

Regards,

Dan

i use to get my wire from bkk around the chinatown area, the darker/deeper red wires are from germany and dont get as hot

you rewinding speaker coils? I use to design speakers myself.

i use to get my wire from bkk around the chinatown area, the darker/deeper red wires are from germany and dont get as hot

No, just doing some experimentation with different metal detector coils. Yes, in that section of BKK you could find just about anything imaginable.

Regards.

I will post this here for anyone else in the future that needs magnet (enameled) wire. There is a small shop located on Prapokkloa Rd. (S/E corner inside the moat). On the southern moat road (Mun Mueang) heading east it's the last big soi on your left before the market congestion near the corner. In this soi on the left side will be a Siam Commercial Bank about 500 meters in. This shop is just after the bank.

post-114070-0-62453300-1391677816_thumb.

Edited by ThaiWx

No, just doing some experimentation with different metal detector coils. Yes, in that section of BKK you could find just about anything imaginable.

Regards.

I've wound a few metal detector coils and if you haven't tried them yet Kitti Electronics on Chang Peuk road should have the wire.

//edit - just read your previous post and sound like you found some.

Regards.

I've wound a few metal detector coils and if you haven't tried them yet Kitti Electronics on Chang Peuk road should have the wire.

//edit - just read your previous post and sound like you found some.

Yes, Kitti is the first place I tried and they said the would have to order it because they don't carry it. Kind of surprised me because it seems like they have everything else in there. Great folks!smile.png