Makro v Lotus Economics

ford8

For a small family of 2, does anyone have any figures or.

general opinions favoring either, only really for household stuff, foods, fruit juices, V8. Raisins/Nuts

I suspect, without reason, Makro vegetables and meats.

I can buy in quantity i.e. packs of stuff, not neessarily individual items

I have found that there is only one reason for me to favor Makro that is Large Blocks of Cheddar. Lotus does not have these..

One non economic reason is that the child is fascinated by the activities of the Fork Lifts.

I am referring to S.Pattaya Lotus and Nearby Makro

While itemised bills are available, I never make comparisons, I'm sure someone does.

Thank You

+

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus accepts credit cards. Makro only citibank with Makro logo on it. I had one and every time I wanted to use it for some reason all their card readers didn't work.

Makro hassles you when exiting the shop by browsing through your shopping cart making you feel like a shop lifter.

Makro doesn't have shopping bags.

The fresh meat section in Makro looks even iffier than the one in Lotus (go to Foodland for meat!)

I cannot say that Makro is in average really cheaper than Foodland. On certain items yes, but look also at the quality.

Depending on where you live, Makro is very convenient to get to. I'm in the lucky position that Foodland is my nearest shopping outlet and they are also the best. Just their cheese department has a lot of room for improvement...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lotus accepts credit cards. Makro only citibank with Makro logo on it. I had one and every time I wanted to use it for some reason all their card readers didn't work.

Makro hassles you when exiting the shop by browsing through your shopping cart making you feel like a shop lifter.

The fresh meat section in Makro looks even iffier than the one in Lotus (go to Foodland for meat!)

I cannot say that Makro is in average really cheaper than Foodland. On certain items yes, but look also at the quality.

Depending on where you live, Makro is very convenient to get to. I'm in the lucky position that Foodland is my nearest shopping outlet and they are also the best. Just their cheese department has a lot of room for improvement...

Beg to disagree...while I shop at Foodland for many things and they're very convenient being open 24 hours, they are hardly the best. None of the farang supermarkets are the the best...they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Big C Extra just down from Foodland I find to be just as good in most areas. Their fruit/veg section is equal, if not better; their bakery is way superior to FLs, which is very poor, even their meat/fish section is very good, as long as you stay away from the bulk meat stands. Their packaged and fresh meats and the selection of pre-cooked meats is very high quality (for Thailand). Their dairy/cheese section is probably better than FLs too. There is also the dry goods and household selection that is much bigger as well. Actually, I do most of my grocery shopping these days at Big C and not Foodland.

• Like 1

Lotus vs Makro??? YMMV whistling.gif

For a small family of 2, do you really expect to see significant economic advantages?

Makro has items which Lotus doesn't have.

Lotus has items which Makro doesn't have.

Some items in Makro are cheaper.

Some items in Lotus are cheaper.

Depends on what you buy.

Qualtity of fresh items vary between both.

Selection of fresh items vary between both.

You need to do comparitive shopping.

My most annoying complaints about both:

Makro doesn't take most credit/debit cards.

Makro doesn't provide shopping bags.

Makro requires a member card or a one time shopping pass.

Makro does a security check upon leaving.

Long checkout queues at Lotus.

Overall, I do most of my shopping at Lotus because of the inconviences at Makro. thumbsup.gif

Yes, I do buy in bulk with up to 4 shopping carts full.

Edited by BB1950

While not in your neck of the woods, we do visit both Makro and Lotus. IMO, Lotus is more like the traditional grocery stores I am used to - aisles that are usually clear and easy to navigate while Makro seems to think the aisle space is wasted if not filled up except for narrow pathways, with boxes and boxes of stuff, not to mention the forklifts trying to work their way through the shoppers.

While Makro seems patterned after Costco back in the US, they have a lot to learn about providing a decent shopping experience.

That said, we will keep shopping at both - each has its products that appeal to us.

Oh, and if you want a tax invoice at makro don't forget to bring a full set of your company documents. Any other grocery store / supermarket in town provides it without hassle if you tell them your address.

Many things at Makro are cheaper than at Tesco, especially if you buy the large packs. The fish section is good also. But Tesco is often cheaper for fruit and veg or if you only want a small pack of something. The meat sections in Thai supermarkets just encourage me to become a vegetarian.

Personally I go to Makro once a week for a main shop, and then I buy fresh things (or things that Makro dont stock) at Tesco a couple of times during the week.

The nearby BigC on Sukumvit is absurdly expensive for fruit and veg and has a pathetic bakery section, but it is good for imported (French) foods.

I pay cash and dont care whether people think I'm a thief or not, so Makro is not a problem for me in that respect. I also like the fact that it is often quite empty and you rarely have to queue at the tills.

Beg to disagree...while I shop at Foodland for many things and they're very convenient being open 24 hours, they are hardly the best. None of the farang supermarkets are the the best...they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The Big C Extra just down from Foodland I find to be just as good in most areas. Their fruit/veg section is equal, if not better; their bakery is way superior to FLs, which is very poor, even their meat/fish section is very good, as long as you stay away from the bulk meat stands. Their packaged and fresh meats and the selection of pre-cooked meats is very high quality (for Thailand). Their dairy/cheese section is probably better than FLs too. There is also the dry goods and household selection that is much bigger as well. Actually, I do most of my grocery shopping these days at Big C and not Foodland.

Big C down from foodland has Rats and cockroaches which i havent seen in foodland. The rats are regularly in the back and roaches are swarming on the checkout counters. I wonder how the employees work there. I have stopped shopping there but they are doing a booming business.

I know there are lots of these in pattaya but Big C seems to have the most..

• Like 1

After many stops at Makro on the way to Tesco we (2) just don't bother anymore. Have yet to find any substantial savings at Makro despite the presence of large quantities. Divide the price by the number of units and rarely see any savings at Makro

Unfortunately still have to go down Pattaya Tai to get to Friendship for their coffee, wine selection (and they are no longer enforcing the buying times), coffee creamer, and fresh vegetables. Rarely go to Villa at the Avenue anymore and only if I am dying for an Australian imported aged steak

Won't go to Big C on Klang due to the hassle of getting out of the parking lot and back on to Klang. Don't need Foodland enough to deal with their parking

Bottom line is that in this area there is no one size that fits all for shopping, you have to pick and choose

• Like 2

Thanks to all so far..Looks like use both.The big ? jump in Baht/GBPound recently makes me a little less concerned with economics now.

My main gripe about Lotus, NO BAGS OF ICE , to keep cool stuff in my polystyrene cooler,pending going home. I have to help myself from the

fish dispalys and shovel it into a plastic bag., No-one has stopped me so far, or queried it at the checkouts,

I could stop at 7/11 but .........

Big C down from foodland has Rats and cockroaches which i havent seen in foodland. The rats are regularly in the back and roaches are swarming on the checkout counters. I wonder how the employees work there. I have stopped shopping there but they are doing a booming business.

I know there are lots of these in pattaya but Big C seems to have the most..

I've seen roaches at foodland too so don't t kid yourself. The bic c rats are for employee lunches. Seriously, are you really surprised that in a place where there is so much edible stuff out in the open that there are some roaches and rats around? Do I really care...I wash and cook everything before I eat it; and as for the baked stuff, can't be any worse than eating in restos where the staff rarely wash their hands after baking a loaf themselves. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

They are building a new Makro ,opp the bus station on north Pattaya road.

Interesting thanks.

That will be near the Tesco Lotus on pattaya nua then plus not far from where I live.

Never even been to a Makro.

Generally use Tesco Lotus, sometimes Big C and Foodland.

Thanks to all so far..Looks like use both.The big ? jump in Baht/GBPound recently makes me a little less concerned with economics now.

My main gripe about Lotus, NO BAGS OF ICE , to keep cool stuff in my polystyrene cooler,pending going home. I have to help myself from the

fish dispalys and shovel it into a plastic bag., No-one has stopped me so far, or queried it at the checkouts,

Agree you can stop and buy ice instead of stealing it if that is what you need or do what many do and buy a few Cold Packs and keep in the freezer until you go shopping - not difficult

Don't want to dispute your comment, but i think that opposite the busstation there is no plot of land big enough to host a Makro.

I was confused about this post as well. I think he possibly means the large empty lot adjacent to he station...not opposite to it.

Don't want to dispute your comment, but i think that opposite the busstation there is no plot of land big enough to host a Makro.

I was confused about this post as well. I think he possibly means the large empty lot adjacent to he station...not opposite to it.

Isn't that plot be used to build the posh condominium ?

Cant see Makro putting a second store in Pattaya?

You must have missed the point. If you build a Makro you need a large sized plot of land .

And no, I don't see Makro building a second store in any area . Makro is not a supermarket .

Edited by JesseFrank

Me neither. Seems like we have plenty of big-box stores already.

People who complain about missing plastic bags at Makro don't feel like to improve their old man last century habits ?

In what world do you expect your kids to live ?

I don't have kids but I am smart and educated enough to always carry my own bag to Makro...

A much better one than ours. The past quarter century has brought unparrelled advances in human knowledge and technology bringing us things we could have never imagined (think junk email). We can only marvel at what the next quarter century will bring and the even better world "our" children will enjoy.

Agree you can stop and buy ice instead of stealing it if that is what you need or do what many do and buy a few Cold Packs and keep in the freezer until you go shopping - not difficult

After the last few sleepless nights expecting the local SWAT team to bust down my door pre-dawn, My address being hacked via my ISP and hoseping TV tekkies plus,determined sleuthing. I went to Lotus with my lawyer and sought a meeting with the usually (mai yoo) manager.My intention was to seek a dispensation for my theft by making a donation to a chosen charity. I hoped my photograph would be removed fron the security watchlist. and the incriminating CCTV tapes erased.I told the manager that I had been to confession and God had forgiven me, for only 5 "Our Fathers" and 10 "Hail Marys", and having escaped Eternal Damnation, was begging him to be equally merciful to me in this life.

Always wanting to maximise my time I also planned some legitimate shoppig, should I be exculpated,

The manager pointed to my 2 Lotus bags, a tasteful violent purple and sickly green.

You buy ?

Yes

You not use plastic bag Tesco ?

No, I want small ecological footprint.

You Good Man. I think OK you take ice, but you put into bag with perishables and pay same as weight of goods.

But I do

Farang Crazy. who say you steal ?

JoePai, ThaiVisa

Farang Crazy

To Lawyer: : But JoePai he right when I go 7, and coffee to hot, when no-one look I sneak 1 cubic centimetre of Latte to cool.

Lawyer: Ok.My Fee for you steal ice Baht 7000 plus VAT, now we go 7. how many branches you steal spoonful Latte ?

Many

Wait I want look those new condos selling and I think we sue JoePai 10 million Baht he say you Tea Leaf

But I AM.............................................

• Like 1

Makro on average is 10% cheaper than Tesco, on some items a lot more.

For example

Smuckers Jams, Tesco 105bht, Makro 97bht.

Tea bags, Aro brand 100 bags for 119bht (Earl Gray, English Breakfast, and one other flavour). Cheapest Tesco tea bags 100 for 169bht.

Nappies, Makro 175bht a bag, Tesco 205bht for the same bag.

Baking supplies, avoid Tesco.

Yok sells bread flour at 32bht/kg, in Tesco it costs 65bht/kg.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Just like every other supermarket in Thailand, Makro and Tesco stock slightly varies.

If you like V8 (like I do) forget both of them ! You'll have to make a trip to Foodland.

The only reason I go to Makro are specialty items I can't get at Foodland or Lotus,

like cheap imported NZ minced lamb, Asahi beer, and the huge bags of dog food (30kg).

These days, I do most of my weekly shopping at Foodland, they have a better

selection of cheese and some wines I like. Also if you like smoked Salmon, I like

the Foodland variation much better ...

I do my shopping:

Once a months @ Makro, and weekly @ Foodland, sometimes (once every two weeks)

a small shopping at Lotus, if we head over to the food court in the evening. And never at

Big C, the smell from the area where they prepare some (Thai deep fry) foods tends to

trigger a throw up reflex in me, so I avoid that place ...

luudee

• Like 1

To shopping in Big C Extra is something for very very patient peoples. They have about 250 checkouts, but open are only 2-3. Same shit in Big C South Pattaya.

If you like to waste your time, go for it.

Yes I have frequently abandonded my purchases due to the hioeless checkout situation

• Like 1

To shopping in Big C Extra is something for very very patient peoples. They have about 250 checkouts, but open are only 2-3. Same shit in Big C South Pattaya.

If you like to waste your time, go for it.

Yes I have frequently abandonded my purchases due to the hioeless checkout situation

I rarely have to wait at BigC on Sukumvit. Maybe you people go at the wrong time of day.

The queues in Tesco are often much longer.

Edited by KittenKong