British Couple want Non-Imm O Visas locally in SE Asia

My wife and I (60 & 58 years of age now) have lived for the greater part of the past 8 years in Thailand, having had only annual trips home during which time we routinely applied to Hull Consulate for Non-Immigrant O visas. For 7 years - no problem.

Last year however, the goal posts moved unexpectedly and due to time constraints (and a failure to convince Consular staff of our legitimacy financially, etc.) we had to travel back on 6 month 3-entry Tourist visas. Which will expire soon.

We cannot go directly to Retirement visas, we understand. We can only hedge-hop via - you guessed it - a Non-Imm O Visa.

So we have to go back to the UK for that one reason - or we can try to apply in Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, etc.

Almost all of the thousands of topic threads with possible relevance on this website relate to foreign husbands with Thai wives or girlfriends. So the advice given might not always apply to people like ourselves.

Hence the reason for this help request.

Has anyone been in our situation? Does anyone know where we can get a definitive ruling? If it ought to be possible, where would be the best place to apply? Etc.

(We have bank accounts in the UK and in Thailand, both of which independently meet the 800k per person financial criterion.)

The phrase "losing the will to live" does spring to mind but on the other hand "hope springs eternal" - even in LOS. I hope someone out there can help. Thanks in advance.

You both could get single entry non-o visas at most nearby embassies or consulates. You cannot get a multiple entry.

Only one of you would have to qualify for the extension of stay the other can get an extension as a dependent of the one that gets the extension.

You might possibly get an income letter for the funds you have in the UK from the embassy. Then do a combination of annual income and money in a Thai bank equal to a total of 800k baht.

Or you could move the funds into a Thai bank in the name of the one (no joint accounts) getting the extension to reach 800k baht. and then after 60 days do the extension.

It is really no problem. You need to go out and apply for a Non-Imm "O" for the purpose of retirement. My wife and I (both Canadian) did it in Vietnam. Since you do not have 800,000 baht in the bank here you will need a letter from your consulate confirming you have adequate INCOME (60,000-65,000 baht/month) as your bank account at home will not help or be used in your application when you apply for Extension to Stay back at Thai Immigration.

You may find these threads enlightening:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/666890-documents-required-to-present-for-non-o-imm-visa-at-chaengwattana/?hl=+non%20+imm%20+o%20+for%20+retirementv

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691559-convert-tourist-visa-to-non-immigrant-o-or-apply-for-new/?p=7223156&hl=%2Bnon+%2Bimm+%2Bo+%2Bfor+%2Bretirement

The OP did say;

"(We have bank accounts in the UK and in Thailand, both of which independently meet the 800k per person financial criterion.)"

Normally an account here needs to be in the extenders name only, but there have been reports that immigration will accept a joint account if there is 1.6 m in the account.

Once you know where you'll do your extensions, contact the immigration office and ask if that will be acceptable for your situation.