Why is papaya...

SailingHome

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i dont buy it often but on those occasions didnt notice it to be expensive. i buy what in season.

som tam is a popular dish perhaps its draining the market in limited suppy season, just a guess..

am more pissed at the price of coconuts they have increased by fifty percent this year over end of last year price and they are now pathetically small or still not properly ripe and generally bad buying..

• Like 1

i dont buy it often but on those occasions didnt notice it to be expensive. i buy what in season.

som tam is a popular dish perhaps its draining the market in limited suppy season, just a guess..

am more pissed at the price of coconuts they have increased by fifty percent this year over end of last year price and they are now pathetically small or still not properly ripe and generally bad buying..

HUH... makes me wonder what is going on. Diseased crops last year to mafia manipulation to government schemes. TiT. Wouldn't want to be a poor farmer.

In the UK Papaya sell for £5,so the the answer is because they export and sell a 20 Bhat Papaya for £5 (260 baht) they do,the market of supply and demand dictates!

oh its fairy tales time already. oh yes its nearly 10 pm.

I'm sure my wife and her friends are not the only ones who have paid this ridiculous price for a Papaya in the UK. Lets wait and see,before you start calling Posters a liar!

In the UK Papaya sell for £5,so the the answer is because they export and sell a 20 Bhat Papaya for £5 (260 baht) they do,the market of supply and demand dictates!

Here is a link to importers of Thai fruit and vegetables in london,as you can see it's more than £5 for 850 gram Papya.

Now about that apology...............

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADT4P6S/ref=asc_df_B00ADT4P6S17218509?smid=A2OU6HFBWF7QUF&tag=pr-kitchen-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22222&creativeASIN=B00ADT4P6S&ascsubtag=uk,27816,prsp_uk_stormsave,620,;f01202050be76b9d2df11636d64ac6a3

Edited by MAJIC

I'm sure my wife and her friends are not the only ones who have paid this ridiculous price for a Papaya in the UK. Lets wait and see,before you start calling Posters a liar!

TGs gotta have their somtam, bugger the cost!

• Like 2

TGs gotta have their somtam, bugger the cost!

I agree!

Here is a link to importers of Thai fruit and vegetables in london,as you can see it's more than £5 for 850 gram Papya.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ADT4P6S/ref=asc_df_B00ADT4P6S17218509?smid=A2OU6HFBWF7QUF&tag=pr-kitchen-mp-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22222&creativeASIN=B00ADT4P6S&ascsubtag=uk,27816,prsp_uk_stormsave,620,;f01202050be76b9d2df11636d64ac6a3

hmm short sighted too. you have to look further than the end of your nose.

hmm short sighted too. you have to look further than the end of your nose.

I believe my original post has been proven to be factual.

I grow papaya. Even when I buy one, the price doesn't seem high - but that's because I reside in a rural area where prices for fruits and veges are reasonable. I can get a kilo of excellent red or yellow sweet peppers for 60 baht. In a farang-style supermarket, the same peppers would be I'd probably cost 8 to 10x as much.

A few things you probably didn't know about papayas: the name, in Thai is marikon. The word for fanny-f#cker in Spanish, is maricol.

Also, Papaya is the earliest known organism with distinct male and female chromosomes. Yes, papayas can be male or female (like ganga), but unlike ganga, both have flowers. The way to tell them apart: males have numerous flowers out on stalks. Females have fewer and bigger flowers along the stem.

Thais often eat them when they're green. Not me, the only papaya that passes my lips is dark yellowish-orange, yum.

Since you grow them, here's something you may find interesting. You can change the gender of a male papaya tree by hammering nails into the trunk. half a dozen 6 inch nails should do it. Within a few months, you will see the flower change and the tree will bear fruit within a year. I don't know if it is the trauma or perhaps the FeO2, but something happens.

• Like 1

Since you grow them, here's something you may find interesting. You can change the gender of a male papaya tree by hammering nails into the trunk. half a dozen 6 inch nails should do it. Within a few months, you will see the flower change and the tree will bear fruit within a year. I don't know if it is the trauma or perhaps the FeO2, but something happens.

Environmental stressors will increase the number of males in a given population of a species that propagates via allogamy - including humans!

Populations living in high-resource environments will have proportionally more females.

During harsh and prolonged conditions (e.g. war) the sex ratio will increase to favor males.

Environmental stressors will increase the number of males in a given population of a species that propagates via allogamy - including humans!

Populations living in high-resource environments will have proportionally more females.

During harsh and prolonged conditions (e.g. war) the sex ratio will increase to favor males.

Interesting and an example of how profoundly complex life is. In the case of the male papaya, though, it changes to female after the stress. As I surmised, it may be the iron, or something else.

I grow papaya. Even when I buy one, the price doesn't seem high - but that's because I reside in a rural area where prices for fruits and veges are reasonable. I can get a kilo of excellent red or yellow sweet peppers for 60 baht. In a farang-style supermarket, the same peppers would be I'd probably cost 8 to 10x as much.

A few things you probably didn't know about papayas: the name, in Thai is marikon. The word for fanny-f#cker in Spanish, is maricol.

Also, Papaya is the earliest known organism with distinct male and female chromosomes. Yes, papayas can be male or female (like ganga), but unlike ganga, both have flowers. The way to tell them apart: males have numerous flowers out on stalks. Females have fewer and bigger flowers along the stem.

Thais often eat them when they're green. Not me, the only papaya that passes my lips is dark yellowish-orange, yum.

I reckon you can change the gender of just about anything if you hammer enough nails into it.

Why is Papaya so expensive here? Supply and demand. It's the price of mango that really upsets me...

• Like 1

. Yes, papayas can be male or female (like ganga), but unlike ganga, both have flowers. The way to tell them apart: males have numerous flowers out on stalks.

Male cannabis has flowers, this is where the pollen comes from

As does the female, to receive the pollen.

Re: Post #1 as Thai native fruit. according to Purdue Horticulture site:

Though the exact area of origin is unknown, the papaya is believed native to tropical America ... Spaniards carried seeds to the Philippines about 1550

I agree, they are expensive and hard to find in our area (North) and I asked my wife why that is.

She replied that everyone grows them for themselves (or they just pop up from stray seeds) and therefore the market for them is limited.

If they are at the market, no-one nuys them.

So we are also growing our own now.

The dark-pink new variety is delicious and slightly firmer than the yellow variety.

Incidently, the papaya is now being researched in many countries for their anti-cancer properties.

• Like 1

What is expensive? Prices please.

Here we pay 20 baht a kg for papaya holland which are much better then others.

20 baht for a kg of nice fruit is not that much i guess. 30 baht for 8 big banana's is more expensive i think because they cost the same in Europe where they have to be imported.

I read the banana's will get more expensive because there is a new disease that will kill all the bananaplants. Also for citrus there is the greening disease that kills the tree's and can't be stopped.

Bought a kg of namdocmai mango's this week for 50 baht, they are not huge but good. all prices are on the local outside market.

ABSTRACT Papaya (Carica papaya Linn.) is well known for its exceptional nutritional and medicinal properties throughout the world. The whole plant including its leaves, fruits, seed, bark, latex and their juice are use as medicine. Papaya is considering as Nutracuitical fruits duo its multifaceted properties. The whole plant of papaya contain enzyme Papain, Lycopene, Isothyocynate, important Mineral, Vitamins, Carbohydrates, Carotenoids, Flavonoids. These important nutritious fruits feed the body and immune system. A papaya in vitro study shows that it will treat many cancer cell line and papaya physiochemical having anticancer activities. Papaya is rich in enzyme papain which is effective against cancer. Papain breaks down the fibrin cancer cell wall and protein into amino acid form. Other than papain it also contain lycopene which highly reactive towards oxygen and free radical. Isothyocynate effective against breast, lung, colon pancreas, prostate as well as leukemia. These enzymes capable of inhibiting both formation and development of cancer cell.

Papaya is rich in enzyme papain which is effective against cancer. Papain breaks down the fibrin cancer cell wall and protein into amino acid form. Other than papain it also contain lycopene which highly reactive towards oxygen and free radical. Isothyocynate effective against breast, lung, colon pancreas, prostate as well as leukemia. These enzymes capable of inhibiting both formation and development of cancer cell.

What utter rot.

Papain is a protein and, like all other proteins, is broken down by the digestive system. It would never get near a cancer cell.

There is no conclusive scientific evidence of any health benefits of lycopene - only a general observation that people who eat a lot of tomatoes are less likely to have cancer. There is no conclusive medical evidence that any antioxidant in the diet contributes positively to health. (Betacarotene, to which lycopene is related has actually been shown to increase the risk of lung cancer.)

Isothyocynate (apart from being misspelt) isn't a chemical compound - it's a structure. Isothiocyanates are found in high concentrations in brassicas (horseradish, wasabi, mustard, radish, Brussels sprouts, watercress &c.) They are not found in high concentrations in papaya, and there's no in vivo medical evidence for their effectiveness in inhibiting cancers.

Why on earth do people bother writing such pseudoscientific nonsense?

• Like 2