How to get a local wat to not play a loud single song every day?

boomerangutang

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had even worse noise than a wat around the place I use to live up country. Thai bar went in right next door and blasted music until 2 in the morning and sometimes later. tried everything to get them to drop the volume or shut the place down but no one cared... terrible country when it comes to noise. i ended up breaking up with my long time gf and moved. Breakup was not from noise however :) Another good reason to never own.... When you rent you can always move. You fight a loosing battle.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

sound doesnt travel for 12km so there must be a speaker close to your house

sever the power cable or short it out with a pin (that will take so long to fix they probably wont since they wont know

why its not working wink.png )

make sure nobody sees you doing this biggrin.png

Sound only travels as far as how big the wave length is and other mitigating conditions, such as which sales girl has the microphone in the Big C food section, or which karaoke drunk loves Frank Sinatra. But I like your idea about the pin, which I presume you mean the pin from a hand grenade - the best muffler I can think of right now (I'm also plagued by a noisy wat at the moment).

• Like 1

sound doesnt travel for 12km so there must be a speaker close to your house

sever the power cable or short it out with a pin (that will take so long to fix they probably wont since they wont know

why its not working wink.png )

make sure nobody sees you doing this biggrin.png

Sound only travels as far as how big the wave length is and other mitigating conditions, such as which sales girl has the microphone in the Big C food section, or which karaoke drunk loves Frank Sinatra. But I like your idea about the pin, which I presume you mean the pin from a hand grenade - the best muffler I can think of right now (I'm also plagued by a noisy wat at the moment).

i was thinking more along the lines of a sewing needle sized pin and a pair of pliers and push it through until it shorts the circuit

(it will be near impossible to diagnose for the average somchai who will probably replace the speaker and when that doesnt work hel

give up and go for a beer )

• Like 2

move

are you referring to bowels or to steps on the dance floor?

Someone took issue with sound travelling '12 Km.' I used the phrase 'several Km' ....twice. Not 12 Km.

the needle idea sounds interesting. We could coin a new phrase, applicable particularly to Thailand: "needling the speaker cable"

• Like 1

I feel for you mate. Three months ago someone in my area died and they held a funeral. ( party ). I was not aware that it was a funeral in fact, as at the entrance of my soi there is also a place that hosts a black witches meeting every so many days, so I thought it was a similar event.

The house where the funeral was ongoing is 700 meters from my house as the crow flies. I went on for a week or so, and I'm sure you understand what the sound level was.

Then last weekend it started again. The sound was so loud that inside my house with insulated windows and insulated cavity walls it was unbearable.

I drove up to the place and they had a speaker truck with maybe 15 speakers on it and communication had to happen with sign language as you couldn't hear your own voice. So i asked them to slow down the music as I am no part of their party. They agreed.

When I returned home I noticed they had increased the volume a bit. Luckily it was for the 100 day celebration and it lasted only for 1 day, but I could have easily given them a reason for some more funerals.

a speaker truck is a bigger challlenge than a needle lol

balaclava + whisky bottle + petrol + sugar + rag should do the trick :D

now you know why you can afford to live there. no one else wants it for that reason

congratulations on not reading the OP, he was there 12 years before the wat.

he is buggered though, only the locals could effect change, and i suspect they simply cant be bothered

I have indeed given this a lot of thought, sound travels better over water you know, so I had plenty of time to plan the demise.

there is a book known as the cookbook. It may anarchist cookbook. It provides you with instructions on the boombox, you set that up next to the temples sound equipment then run.

I like the pin in the wiring though, I read about that before in a number of novels and think it would work. Just careful you don't shock yourself.

There's a mosque near my GF's brothers house that disturbs our visits there with that call to prayer thing. On the drive back home I've stopped outside it and played The Sex Pistols, anarchy in the UK and another time Metallica, enter the sandman at full blast on the cars cd player. Had no effect, they're still doing it.

• Like 1

There's a mosque near my GF's brothers house that disturbs our visits there with that call to prayer thing. On the drive back home I've stopped outside it and played The Sex Pistols, anarchy in the UK and another time Metallica, enter the sandman at full blast on the cars cd player. Had no effect, they're still doing it.

In Pattaya they have recently build sound shields on the highway near the mosque . Not to shield the local resident from the sound abuse of the mosque, but to shield the Muslims from the noise of the highway.facepalm.gif

it is around 8 am... lucky you...

lucky you dont have a muslim mosque, as you would get it several times a day, start at 4 or maybe 5 AM

Yes while working in UAE while working for helicopter company..the compound was near a mosque and 4am I was awakened by a Whaling sound..Hi pitch..<deleted>..well got use to it..also the stores personal where gone during the afternoon prayer..traffic down town stopped for 6pm prayer. Signs in washroom "Do not wash your feet in toilet"...nice egh...

Now back in Thailand..women full visible no black clothing worn...dogs bark at night..usually wanting attention..ok no problem throw them a bone...I live in a secluded apartment complex..very cheap and have fixed up the insides to European standards...the yaba sales are finished and thou the apartment is now owned by Thai..is slowly getting run down..I keep up cleaning the walkway and installed hose outside for the watering of plants in compound...I think of my time in UAE and glad I left and enjoy the Thai ways...different but have adjusted easy.

Here in the village we got a new head monk a while ago and he started broadcasting at a ridiculous volume every morning at 4.30am until 7am. I was pissed, wifey was pissed and 99% of the village were pissed. Alot of them asked my wife, known for her tact and also her ability to argue her point, to have a word with the head monk. This talk also coincided with alot of the villagers suddenly finding themselves elsewhere when the monks were on their usual alms walk.

The volume very soon got turned down.

An alternative option took place in a friends village in Chaiyaphum. It is a rubber tapping community and as it involves alot of night work the people like their sleep.

The local wat got a new speaker system that had the volume cranked way up. It was only a couple of days before it was explained the speakers may get damaged if the volume wasn't turned down to acceprable levels.

Peace was restored:-)

Edited by edwinchester
  • Like 2

Yes I know the feeling. Had the same experience in a village in Phitsanulok province. The speakers were right across from where we lived. Besides the music there were also public announcements periodically. Behind us lived a drunk who placed his big box speakers on the front porch before cranking em up. The village headman who owned a business lived just down the street. Every year he would bring in a speak trailer and bombard us for a couple days. It was a party for his workers. Thai's do no seem to mind noise much like Mexicans with their religious rocket holidays and their sleep all day bark all night roof top dogs. Cars in Mexico also seemed loaded with speakers and you can hear em coming a mile a way. When it comes to noise I prefer Thailand hands down.