Wearing Gloves

macknife

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't see this as an unattainable position at all.

I have explained my argument regarding statistics and don't plan on repeating myself, if you don't get it that's okay.

My argument is that if you develop skills you have a tendency to want to use them. push the envelope, whether that means doing wheelies, or just sensibly improving your handling of the bike, whatever. But riding skills are a developing craft, relative and a matter of personal opinion too, so it is not a simple case of the haves and have nots.

6 years ago, I started from a fairly low start point with a Wave in the madness of Khon Kaen and have now improved. I now have a much more powerful machine and naturally I ride it faster, because I feel I have the skills and to do so. That undoubtedly puts me at higher risk. (I actually passed my bike test today, hence the delay in replying you so carefully pointed out, though hitherto the police were quite happy with my UK car licence.)

Now perhaps some of you have passed that phase and now feel 100% safe (but TIT), as you have been biking for so long it is now like second nature, but that doesn't apply to all, not by a long chalk. As a rider in the position I am addressing, but with a million 4-wheeled miles under my belt in numerous countries, my view may be of interest to some.

If you know it all, perhaps not.

The reason I put this argument forward is that there is a lot of Macho crap on this forum, so not everyone is sensible and if the machismo exceeds the level of skill, however great, there is a problem and merely quoting accident statistics won't help.

Enough!

I have explained my argument regarding statistics and don't plan on repeating myself, if you don't get it that's okay.

My argument is that if you develop skills you have a tendency to want to use them. push the envelope, whether that means doing wheelies, or just sensibly improving your handling of the bike, whatever. But riding skills are a developing craft, relative and a matter of personal opinion too, so it is not a simple case of the haves and have nots.

6 years ago, I started from a fairly low start point with a Wave in the madness of Khon Kaen and have now improved. I now have a much more powerful machine and naturally I ride it faster, because I feel I have the skills and to do so. That undoubtedly puts me at higher risk. (I actually passed my bike test today, hence the delay in replying you so carefully pointed out, though hitherto the police were quite happy with my UK car licence.)

Now perhaps some of you have passed that phase and now feel 100% safe (but TIT), as you have been biking for so long it is now like second nature, but that doesn't apply to all, not by a long chalk. As a rider in the position I am addressing, but with a million 4-wheeled miles under my belt in numerous countries, my view may be of interest to some.

The reason I put this argument forward is that there is a lot of Macho crap on this forum, so not everyone is sensible and if the machismo exceeds the level of skill, however great, there is a problem and merely quoting accident statistics won't help.

Enough!

You ride your more powerful bike faster now at 70kmh (which is 20kmh slower than national highway speed) .. jeeez how slow did you ride before?

Do you wear gloves?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

^^

I think you're the one that has a little trouble understanding the argument as far as statistics are concerned, but that's OK. Also, I didn't point out (carefully or otherwise) a delay in your replying- that was another poster who wasn't even referring to you- this again goes to my point that you fail to adequately process the points to which you are responding, or even bother to read entire posts.

'Pushing yourself' isn't dependent on skill level (there are riders with no discernible skill riding way too fast for conditions on every road in LOS), but being a safe rider is wholly dependent on skill level. No one feels '100% safe'- I personally feel safer having worked on my skills than I did when I was an inexperienced rider on the streets of Tokyo- I am most certainly safer than one of your 'skill-free' riders who you seem to think will sail through their riding lives without incident. Your '4-wheeled miles' mean next-to-nothing in the context of motorcycling (as do mine, or anyone's).

I agree there's a lot of crap (macho or otherwise) on this forum- there's quite a bit of it on this thread (though I'm sure we'd disagree on the source...)

I didn't see anyone 'merely quoting accident statistics'- in fact, you were the one who brought up statistics in the first place- I used them to support my points- you had nothing to support yours.

As far as 'Enough!' goes, I'll post and reply as I see fit- please feel free to attenuate yourself (or not) though.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

My reply - with quotes - was directed at II2.

Nothing directed at your posts.

I can see both sides of the ongoing discussion, but have been riding legally on the street since 1968 and learned a thing or two.

Still alive - tho' I don't know how !!

• Like 2

Enough!

You ride your more powerful bike faster now at 70kmh (which is 20kmh slower than national highway speed) .. jeeez how slow did you ride before?

Do you wear gloves?

LOL, i ask myself too biggrin.png

I guess Allan still rides with openface helmet ("fullface restricts the vision") and no other gear ("too hot"). But maybe some gloves now???

But who needs safety gear if you can ride slow and without skills cheesy.gif

Sorry Allan, not meant as an offence thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

just google.

And ask what ??

No reply yet. Hard to defend an untenable position.

if you are riding since 1968, you have to know the fact that they have a light front end, very very low center of gravity which feels awkward, small wheels, half fork, all that unsprung weight with swingarm cum drivetrain, compromised underbone chassis, elastic cvt tranny and if it is a cheap scoot, budget components all over.
wonder what have you been riding for 46 years, a horse and a scooter?laugh.png

A friend of mine was doing about 60kph in Bangkok the other day. A boy racer accidentally shunted him from behind causing him and his Fino to slide down the road. A bit of road rash on his thigh and ankle, but the worst was to his hand.

attachicon.gif1391318730741.jpg

He said he kept hold of the handle bars as it slid, all the way until it stopped. I suspect this made it worse for his hand. Is it wise to keep hold of the bike in a slide?

Oh, and always wear gloves!!!

Even cheap 300B gloves could have prevented this nasty skin burn. It happened to my hand once(a smaller area than this) and I can tell you, it was a long time healing and not fun at all.

What's the latest on your friends hand? What do the doctors plan to do?
  • Like 1

Statistics are really not on you side in this argument.

The vast majority of deaths and serious injuries happen to people with some riding skills, whereas the skill free people who trundle to work every day at 20mph, go their whole lives with no injuries.

The biggest bunch of baloney I have ever read here

I can't even believe you typed that

dont forget this is the same person who wants to make a jacket out of foil.

A friend of mine was doing about 60kph in Bangkok the other day. A boy racer accidentally shunted him from behind causing him and his Fino to slide down the road. A bit of road rash on his thigh and ankle, but the worst was to his hand.

He said he kept hold of the handle bars as it slid, all the way until it stopped. I suspect this made it worse for his hand. Is it wise to keep hold of the bike in a slide?

Even cheap 300B gloves could have prevented this nasty skin burn. It happened to my hand once(a smaller area than this) and I can tell you, it was a long time healing and not fun at all.

It's still covered in bandages. So I haven't seen it since. They think it should heal ok but skin grafts are a possibility.

It's still covered in bandages. So I haven't seen it since. They think it should heal ok but skin grafts are a possibility.

Well I hope all the best in his healing and hopefully no skin grafts, in it probably being only the first layer of dermis. I don't like seeing anybody injured, though it's the risk we take everytime we ride our bikes. Unforseen stuff does and will happen. Hopefully most of us are prepared to manage the best they can in the conditions at hand on the day / night. Now time to buy a raffle ticket :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Edited by Garry

just google.

And ask what ??

No reply yet. Hard to defend an untenable position.

if you are riding since 1968, you have to know the fact that they have a light front end, very very low center of gravity which feels awkward, small wheels, half fork, all that unsprung weight with swingarm cum drivetrain, compromised underbone chassis, elastic cvt tranny and if it is a cheap scoot, budget components all over.

wonder what have you been riding for 46 years, a horse and a scooter?laugh.png

Pretty easy to see who's won that argument.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Half a fork, compromised underbone chassis ... elastic CVT tranny ... How do you argue with that ??? Makes no sense !!!

Low centre of gravity is a good thing.

Can't even have a discussion with someone who proposes these as reasons why scooters are so bad.

My head insertion hypothesis still stands.

My speeds have not changed much more burst speeds and easier to overtake and get away.

My style of riding too. Get ahead of traffic, ride alone on your side of the road. Then your only worry is the guys approaching you.

And, of course, the boneheads pulling out in front of you !!

• Like 1

^ &^^

So have your ungraded bikes and increased rider skills worked out to your benefit or detriment as far as your overall safety is concerned? Would you say you're inherently safer than the unskilled locals and tourists who are sharing the road with you due to your knowledge of how to handle an emergency situation, or have your upgraded abilities somehow put you in more danger by encouraging you to ride in a more unsafe manner than you did when you were less skilled?

Half a fork, compromised underbone chassis ... elastic CVT tranny ... How do you argue with that ??? Makes no sense !!!

Can't even have a discussion with someone who proposes these as reasons why scooters are so bad.

Seedy, you want me to reply so i do.

You might like scooters but i dont. It does not mean i dont ride one. I rent scoots at times. What i am saying a big bike with proper components are superior than a scoot.

No need to attack me man!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

^ &^^

So have your ungraded bikes and increased rider skills worked out to your benefit or detriment as far as your overall safety is concerned? Would you say you're inherently safer than the unskilled locals and tourists who are sharing the road with you due to your knowledge of how to handle an emergency situation, or have your upgraded abilities somehow put you in more danger by encouraging you to ride in a more unsafe manner than you did when you were less skilled?

More skill equals a safer ride - no question.

I have found in the last few years that I cruise slower than ever before - my Ricky Racer days are pretty much behind me.

As far as other road users go - I do not know them, or their riding ability. So rely on my own skill to avoid accidents, or to lessen their severity if I am in one.

Touch wood - last serious one was in 1978. Can't count the close calls. Was run off the road enroute Pai last year, but no injury and only 20K baht damage to the bike. The reason - lost as much speed as possible with the bike upright and travelling in a straight line before I had to hit the ditch - or a black Vigo.

Had many-many fast bikes in my day, including an over 200 HP dyno'd Kawasaki, rode like the proverbial BOOH, don't know why I am still alive.

I was given a good point from my father many years ago when I first started driving & riding: "treat every other road user as an idiot and always have an escape plan"

The more miles/kilometers in the saddle, the more your road craft gets honed. Also the reason I do more road skill courses at the track to improve/refresh my handling, time, speed, distance awareness. You're never too old for a refresher course, just to get your mindset right,

• Like 2

I was given a good point from my father many years ago when I first started driving & riding: "treat every other road user as an idiot and always have an escape plan"

The more miles/kilometers in the saddle, the more your road craft gets honed. Also the reason I do more road skill courses at the track to improve/refresh my handling, time, speed, distance awareness. You're never too old for a refresher course, just to get your mindset right,

Exactly- knowledge is power- for the vast majority of people, once they can drive a car reasonably competently, they're done as far as training is concerned- good motorcyclists constantly strive to become better riders, and hone their roadcraft throughout their riding careers, which only serves to keep them safer on two wheels.

^ &^^

I must say i think I am safer, for 1 i wear more safety gear but because of the extra power overtaking and other feats are easier. I have not become a speed demon and I am still driving real defensive.

I think i look more at traffic all the time and try to anticipate more. I have become a lot more alert to things as before. Just knowing about all the risks that are out there. If anything I have become more careful about stuff.

Anyway in august this year when I am back in the Netherlands I want to take an advanced rider / safety course in breaking and special moves. I just want someone to teach me a bit more. I can't seem to find a way to do that here else I would have taken a course here.

• Like 2

Where do you do those skill courses ? I really would like to learn more who knows it might safe my life once. I am not shy to admit i am mainly self taught so there is probably some room for improvement.

So what else you want seedy?

These are not valid reasons for you but valid for many.

Just get you head checked man and if you dont know these, i hardly believe you rode 200 hp bikes!

Just you sound funny while attacking someone as nothing to say against what i state.

Anyway enough thread derailment.

I always wear gloves while riding.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app