'Occupy Bangkok' continues despite arrest warrants for 19 protest leaders

webfact

'Occupy Bangkok' continues despite arrest warrants for 19 protest leaders
By Digital Content

13916011074570.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 5 - The People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) vowed to continue their months-long rallies in Thailand's capital to press for the government's resignation despite court warrants to arrest 19 key protesters.

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) charged the 19 political activists with defying the Emergency Decree but the PDRC argued that the decree was unlawfully invoked.

Sathit Wongnongtoey, former Democrat MP and a top PDRC leader, said on stage at the Pathumwan rally site that all 19 protesters, including leader Suthep Thaugsuban, would neither stop the demonstrations nor
escape.

He said the group would not surrender to the authorities unless their mission was accomplished.

"We will give ourselves up to the authorities once the prime minister resigns," he told the cheering crowd.

"An arrest warrant was once issued for Mr Suthep but he insisted he would fight on," he said, adding that PDRC lawyers would appeal the court's order.

It was the second arrest warrant for Mr Suthep. Mr Sathit was one of the 19.

The former MP from Trang said protesters have followed the law which has, on the other hand, been exploited by law-enforcement officials, compelling them to intensify their protests.

He said PDRC supporters would continue occupying the Interior Ministry despite an attempt by the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO) to reoccupy.

"We will send protesters from the Pathumwan rally site for reinforcement at the Interior Ministry if necessary," he said.

Meanwhile, the Constitution Court rejected a petition by Pheu Thai member Singthong Buachum who sought the court's order to stop anti-government protesters from seizing government buildings.

The court said the protesters exercised their rights and freedom on the heels of their demonstrations against the Amnesty Bill and lack of confidence in the government's administrative performance.

Whether the protesters' activities violated the Criminal Code or other laws is up to the authorities in charge to take legal action but their activities did not lead to a belief that they aimed at removing the country's administration, concluded the court. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-06

The Shinawatras can get as many arrest warrants as they want but they're too toothless to carry out the arrests. They've vowed to take in Suthep for how long now and yet he's still there after months, spitting at their faces. The BIBs are great for bullying the common folk but they just don't have the balls or the training to arrest the leaders. Only the army can do it and they've already distanced themselves from Poo's government,

• Like 2

Dr Bruce, on the basis of the number of people who voted, would you say the people really want this government? Since the voter turnout is low, and the number of people voting no vote, I would say the people dont vote for this government?

• Like 1

MaiChai,

The fascists tried to block the election and the number of people voting was low.

The number of No Votes was very small (Less than 1%)

I'm too lazy to Google the numbers but I'm 98.6% sure your 1% number is wrong.

• Like 1

Chalerm said it would last 3 days

PTP said it would last 5 days

Red Shirts said it would last a week

Here we are, still going strong.

Strong ? blink.png inconvenient maybe but strong ? nope, go over to the other thread and apologise for insulting the paralysed lak si guy as he is 100% thai... show us you have the decency not to follow all PRDC propaganda rubbish.

englishoak says this protest is now being wound down softly but surely at last, not putting a time limit on it as i live in never never Thailand but its done and look forward to the possibility of criminal charges being successfully concluded for this bunch.

• Like 2

Chalerm said it would last 3 days

PTP said it would last 5 days

Red Shirts said it would last a week

Here we are, still going strong.

Strong ? blink.png inconvenient maybe but strong ? nope, go over to the other thread and apologise for insulting the paralysed lak si guy as he is 100% thai... show us you have the decency not to follow all PRDC propaganda rubbish.

englishoak says this protest is now being wound down softly but surely at last, not putting a time limit on it as i live in never never Thailand but its done and look forward to the possibility of criminal charges being successfully concluded for this bunch.

Tomyummer says Mightyatom was using the term "Here we are, still going strong" in reference to the fact that this protest is going way over the time frame predicted and all of us sorry asses are sitting here enjoying all the road blocks, traffic congestion (getting worse by the day where I am), occasional shootings and grenade tossing activities. Yes, I would agree, here we are, this dam_n protest is still going strong.

It was not a term used in endearment of the thugs. Tomyummer says take a chill pill.

Edited by tomyummer

dont know where you are but its not a big problem for me .. a few places moved and swelled the other sites a bit but overall id say its tailed right off... congestion is a fact of life here anyway in BKK

im more than chill im not chill about a 71 year old guy shot and paralised being called a cambodian mercenary tho as our friend here has been promoting.. wrongly

• Like 2

Dr Bruce, on the basis of the number of people who voted, would you say the people really want this government? Since the voter turnout is low, and the number of people voting no vote, I would say the people dont vote for this government?

Hmm yeah, hard to vote when protestors block the polls, threaten and intimidate voters but sure the reason for its low numbers is probably because of other reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Interesting comment which does not allow for the fact that people were prevented from voting. If the clowns had left the voting and had not pulled out from the voting there might well have been a massive 'none of the above' vote and progress could have been made.

• Like 1

MaiChai,

The fascists tried to block the election and the number of people voting was low.

The "No Vote" was about 16% of the vote. Invalid votes were about 12%.

Check out the Bangkok Post article titled "EC: Nationwide voter turnout 46.79%".

Edited by whybother
  • Like 1

Interesting comment which does not allow for the fact that people were prevented from voting. If the clowns had left the voting and had not pulled out from the voting there might well have been a massive 'none of the above' vote and progress could have been made.

The turnout was low in provinces north of Bangkok where no one was prevented from voting.

• Like 1

Hopefully the PTP are smart enough to realize if they arrest Suthep or any other major protest leader they are asking for huge touble

IMO if they make arrests the student wing will go on a rampage

Which would then demonstrate what a lot of people including Suthep has admitted that he does have an armed wing and as the media and the man himself admitted due to over whelming evidence that he indeed does employ these people at certain times to maim and kill. Not a good look. If he has a semblance of control he may to choose to pull them into line for the benefit of all and this equally applies to the reds as well.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

dont know where you are but its not a big problem for me .. a few places moved and swelled the other sites a bit but overall id say its tailed right off... congestion is a fact of life here anyway in BKK

im more than chill im not chill about a 71 year old guy shot and paralised being called a cambodian mercenary tho as our friend here has been promoting.. wrongly

It's not a problem at all for most of Bangkok, sure there are a few people at four intersections but I'd argue that Bangkok has simply moved around these. The numbers, even in the evenings are really low now and I don't think that the retreat from Victory etc swelled numbers at all. In fact Lumphini's numbers have dropped dramatically over the past week. Expect another site to be shut down shortly - maybe Asoke as it's a ghosttown days and not much more at night.

Edited by Snig27

Whether the protesters' activities violated the Criminal Code or other laws is up to the authorities in charge to take legal action but their activities did not lead to a belief that they aimed at removing the country's administration, concluded the court.

So the court has yet again shown it's bias against the elected government.

Another new poster supporting the Government. Tut tut.

MaiChai,

Only 12 posts but Dr Bruce is well versed in using the words 'the fascists' as if these words are another creation of Robert Amsterdam and Thaksin's PR people. In times of conflict, misinformation is a powerful tool.

• Like 1

The turnout was low in provinces north of Bangkok where no one was prevented from voting.

That's not quite correct but here's the question, if it was so, why don't the dems capitalise on it and go for the vote? If it was the south only where people were prevented from voting, this would mean they were preventing themselves from voting as the south is a strong dem foothold. I keep listening to the dems blathering about how strong they are, let them prove it, go for it! It would be refreshing to see them win legitimately at the polls and not installed by a military coup. As it happens it won't make any difference, just a different set of snouts at the trough, they're as bent as Thaksin.

Edited by Alwyn
  • Like 2

Whether the protesters' activities violated the Criminal Code or other laws is up to the authorities in charge to take legal action but their activities did not lead to a belief that they aimed at removing the country's administration, concluded the court.

It have another possibility. They are totally deaf and blind and cannot reckon what is a plan to overthrow a government.

That's not quite correct but here's the question, if it was so, why don't the dems capitalise on it and go for the vote? If it was the south only where people were prevented from voting, this would mean they were preventing themselves from voting as the south is a strong dem foothold. I keep listening to the dems blathering about how strong they are, let them prove it, go for it! It would be refreshing to see them win legitimately at the polls and not installed by a military coup. As it happens it won't make any difference, just a different set of snouts at the trough, they're as bent as Thaksin.

Fully agree, but the concept will no doubt confuse the "Man in Dubai" ranters. The rice scheme offered the perfect opportunity for the Dems to fire back. They were only a few points behind PT at the last election. If they had any electoral balls and substance they should have run with this and they may actually have swung the election. That they didn't simply underlines what a vacuum they are, as sadly demonstrated by their leader's abysmal interviews on the BBC and Channel News Asia.

Edited by Snig27
  • Like 1

Another new poster supporting the Government. Tut tut.

Do you have a problem with all new posters, or is just those who appear to support the government?

What's up, afraid the balance of opinion on the forum may be tilting?

• Like 2

So the court has yet again shown it's bias against the elected anti democratic government.

What is wrong with that?

Rather than talk about it the cops need to just get off their collective rumps and do the job they are paid for. If there is a warrant and the cops know the whereabouts of the person named in the warrant they should just do their job.

Oh wait a second this is Thailand.

• Like 1

You are probably right but as someone who has to get past the thuggish PRDC 'security' at both Asoke and Silom every day I can tell you it is a pain in the A#$e. The streets smell of urine and the only people benefitting are the vendors peddling the protest paraphenalia. There is a pall of dark expectation around Silom and Asoke. The rantings and hate speech of Suthep and his ilk interspered with nationalist songs and karaoke singing. I respect your right to protest. Do you respect our rights as residents? Time for a little law and order. Retreat to Lumpini and a couple of other locations where disruption is minimalised. Take out the vendors and the shopppers and the protest numbers will dwindle to double figures. Seeya later Suthep. Time to take your bat and ball and go back and farm rubber.

What thugish security? I live right on the protest site, work a block away and regularly walk across to Terminal 21. I barely even see security.

• Like 1