Thailand: Pro-govt faction rejects move to nullify polls

webfact

Pro-govt faction rejects move to nullify polls
By Digital Content

13916493924234.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 6 – Thailand's pro-government United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) has vowed to fight against any attempt to invalidate last Sunday’s general election.

UDD key leaders Thida Thavornseth and Weng Tochirakarn, and former Pheu Thai MP Vorachai Hema yesterday jointly denounced protesters for disrupting the polls.

Ms Thida said the opposition Democrat Party which boycotted the election should not have the right to lodge complaints relating to the snap poll.

“There was an attempt to nullify the election with the reason that the polls were not held countrywide on the same day. The Constitution Court was asked to invalidate the polls. This is judicial coup,” she said.

She said domestic and international academics have condemned protesters who disrupted the election for restricting voters’ fundamental rights, calling on all factions to obey the rule of law and refrain from scrapping the Constitution as they had done.

Mr Vorachai called on the power-that-be to stop supporting protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban and abide by the law to prevent a coup as in the past.

Independent agencies should not intervene in the attempt to find resolutions for the country, he said.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he would petition the Constitution Court today to seek legal action against Mr Suthep and key protest leaders, including Phra Buddha Issara who has led the rally on Chaeng Wattana Road.

He charged the protesters with violating Section 68 of the Constitution in their obstruction of the general election.

He said the court would also be asked to order the protesters to end their road blockades and seizure of government buildings in Bangkok. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-06

Wonder how she looks when she's grumpy?

The government was warned on several occasions not to go ahead with the poll whilst there were massive protests ongoing - they chose to ignore this.

Now we have had an election with more holes in it than a Tetleys tea bag.

Is it possible to fix this election with glue and tape? Or should it be scrapped?

Well Thai Spot, this was just posted in the news live thread.

'no vote' checked in 16.57% of ballot papers from Sunday's poll

BANGKOK, 6 February 2014 (NNT) – 16.57% of ballot papers from the past Sunday's general election were handed in with the choice of 'no vote' checked on them, according to the Election Commission (EC).

Sunday's election took place in 68 provinces; the polls could not be held in 9 provinces in the South.

There were 43,024,042 eligible voters. 46.79% of this number or 20,129,976 people cast their ballots. There were as many as 2,425,673 ballot papers, or 12.05% of the total, that were not valid. 3,335,334 persons marked 'no vote' on their ballots.

In the Northern Region, 56.02% of eligible voters attended the polls and 21.18% of this group marked 'no vote'. In the Central Region, 41.04% of eligible voters cast their ballots; 23.31% of this group opted for 'no vote'. In the Northeastern Region, 55.31% of eligible voters took to the polls; 9.56% selected 'no vote'. In Bangkok, only 16.78% of eligible voters cast their ballots; 24.02% of this group marked 'no vote'.

Chiang Mai was the province which had the highest turnout, at 75.05% of eligible voters. Lamphun and Mae Hong Son came in second and third, respectively.

Back to me........

I would suggest that the protesters allow the election to complete its voting because all the remaining constituencies are as far from being PTP supporters as you can get. These extra figures will slaughter the overall election figures to the point it would be impossible to call the winner 'legitimate' with a mandate from the people, as it would probably end up hovering at around 20% or less of the total electorate. Ideal fuel for a nullification.

Also with no quorum, just to make it a 100% failed election.... guaranteed.

This would also rule out judicial coup, this would be a coup by the vast majority of the voters.

• Like 2

The 2 Feb 2014 was called and planned for nationwide. It was prevented to hold nationwide because of criminal and unconstitutional activities. It was made worse by EC's scare mongering and its focus on deferring the election.

They were police reports made on blockage of registration process and on the criminal violation of rights of the voters on election day. They were also police evidence on the criminal activities of blocking the distribution of ballot boxes and paper.

Citing of political crisis by EC were political arguments not legal or constitutional arguments. The government had returned its power to the people for a new mandate. The job of EC is to organize election not making political statements or arguments.

The 2 Feb 2014 was called and planned for nationwide. It was prevented to hold nationwide because of criminal and unconstitutional activities. It was made worse by EC's scare mongering and its focus on deferring the election.

They were police reports made on blockage of registration process and on the criminal violation of rights of the voters on election day. They were also police evidence on the criminal activities of blocking the distribution of ballot boxes and paper.

Citing of political crisis by EC were political arguments not legal or constitutional arguments. The government had returned its power to the people for a new mandate. The job of EC is to organize election not making political statements or arguments.

Lol...

The above statistics reflect that had the elections not been interrupted, the numbers would look even worse for the government, so they did the PTP a favour actually.

I hope they allow it to be completed and the lot of them go and vote no.... Because that would totally wipe out a mandate. I don't think a ruling would be needed. I believe that parliament can not be convened ever in that situation and the election would be voided by default.

any candidate would have to achieve over 20% and beat the 'no votes' to win the seat. No provision for a re-ballot in that case.

So at the moment, this blockage has been in PTP's favour...... not for much longer though.

Predictable as rain in monsoon season

555 that's a good joke, Fab, by the way do you know what's happened to your fellow Suthep hater, the right honourable Pipkins? He seems to have disappeared post election, I noticed a strain of almost hysteria in his later posts as he urged the voters to support the election. I do hope he isn't suffering from post election depression as the situation drags on.

Or a Democrat Party Court challenge

• Like 1

Lol...

The above statistics reflect that had the elections not been interrupted, the numbers would look even worse for the government, so they did the PTP a favour actually.

I hope they allow it to be completed and the lot of them go and vote no.... Because that would totally wipe out a mandate. I don't think a ruling would be needed. I believe that parliament can not be convened ever in that situation and the election would be voided by default.

any candidate would have to achieve over 20% and beat the 'no votes' to win the seat. No provision for a re-ballot in that case.

So at the moment, this blockage has been in PTP's favour...... not for much longer though.

I suggest you check election laws.

My comment on this news articles did not touch on statistics. Anyway, if the dem participated and yet vote 'NO', they are digging their own grave.

When you add the 'no votes' to the 'vote no's' plus those who voted for other parties there cant be very many who actually voted for PT.

What happened to Thidas huge protests in all provinces in favor of PT.?

Never heard anything more about them.

The government was warned on several occasions not to go ahead with the poll whilst there were massive protests ongoing - they chose to ignore this.

Is it possible to fix this election with glue and tape? Or should it be scrapped?

The Government took the high road and followed the constitution completely in the National election process, how were they violating the constitution by doing exactly what the constitution dictates!

Those warning were the ones that were unconstitutional!

Peace

Under the criminal and unconstitutional activities and EC's scare mongering surrounding before and after election, statistic is not important to me. What matters to me is that election was held and they were voters turnout and with uncertain number of voters intimidated and blocked to exercise their voting rights.

The Government took the high road and followed the constitution completely in the National election process, how were they violating the constitution by doing exactly what the constitution dictates!

Those warning were the ones that were unconstitutional!

Peace

I didn't say that the constitution had been violated.

But the situation is a mess of monstrous proportions.

From the snippets that people have posted on here (by some commendable posters) I don't see the constitution leading the country out of this

Mess

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The government took the high road?

Oh My God cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Pull the other one, please. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

The government took the high road?

Oh My God cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Pull the other one, please. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Well. ...

They must be taking something

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Assuming they won and that it will not be overturned somehow, we are all interested to hear their short-term and long-term plans to improve Thailand economically and socially, for the benefit of all citizens and visitors alike. I am most truly all ears, and have been for three years.

• Like 1

" This is judicial coup,” she said. "

" Independent agencies should not intervene in the attempt to find resolutions for the country, he said. "

" Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he would petition the Constitution Court today to seek legal action "

As always, Pheu Thai playing both ends.

The reds are showing their true colours once again, if the courts do not agree with them they refuse to accept the verdict and say they are biased. Strange that when they make decisions that favour the ptp/thaksin they are fine but when they dont they want them replaced. Same with the reds in here, because the courts do not agree with what they want they have to be biased, the fact that the courts are following the letter of the law doesnt come into it. We see how pathetic the biased red supporters are with their garbage comments blaming the courts and not the ptp who are the reason all this sh*t happened in the first place. Thida is a communist and leads a communist group, the name reds really sums them all up because they are all communists and want a communist party running the country. The courts are the only ones that can settle this crap through legal means but that does not please the reds because they know that the courts are right and they are wrong so they will just refuse the result.

Under the criminal and unconstitutional activities and EC's scare mongering surrounding before and after election, statistic is not important to me. What matters to me is that election was held and they were voters turnout and with uncertain number of voters intimidated and blocked to exercise their voting rights.

It's your democratic right to live in your own fantasy world.

Even Ms. Thida in this topic says 'Democrat Party ... should not have the right to lodge complaints" implicitly stating that they do have that right.

As for “CC was asked to invalidate the polls. This is judicial coup,” from Ms. Thida, she seems somewhat inconsistent in her remarks. Just asking is a right, but asking is a judicial coup?blink.png

Even Ms. Thida in this topic says 'Democrat Party ... should not have the right to lodge complaints" implicitly stating that they do have that right.

As for “CC was asked to invalidate the polls. This is judicial coup,” from Ms. Thida, she seems somewhat inconsistent in her remarks. Just asking is a right, but asking is a judicial coup?blink.png

You're taking far too literate an approach to what she was saying. The context is all. In this case the "right" she is talking about is the "moral" right not a lawyers interpretation. In other words if you don't even take part in an election, back those people who blockaded polling stations and intimidated and physically blocked people from voting, why should you have any say in trying to invalidate it.

Sounds a reasonable argument to me. One thing for sure the dems will not have any right to complain about the results of the election and that is not for moral reasons but lawful reasons

A person failing to vote at the National Election without notifying the reasonable cause shall lose;

A) The right to object a result of an election of members of the House of Representatives and Senators,

http://www2.ect.go.th/about.php?Province=election&SiteMenuID=7993

Yea know this constitution that abist and suthep want to throw out was writen in 2007. And guess who was PM them????? Abhist and suthep . And if you want a copy just ask I have it.

Thanks for your kind offer - yes, please I want a copy of the constitution from 2007 - but only if (like you state above) Abhisit and Suthep were both PM's in 2007.

Good that we have experts (hahaha !!!) like you - otherwise we would be lost ...

Edited by noni99
  • Like 2

You're taking far too literate an approach to what she was saying. The context is all. In this case the "right" she is talking about is the "moral" right not a lawyers interpretation. In other words if you don't even take part in an election, back those people who blockaded polling stations and intimidated and physically blocked people from voting, why should you have any say in trying to invalidate it.

Sounds a reasonable argument to me. One thing for sure the dems will not have any right to complain about the results of the election and that is not for moral reasons but lawful reasons

A person failing to vote at the National Election without notifying the reasonable cause shall lose;

A) The right to object a result of an election of members of the House of Representatives and Senators,

http://www2.ect.go.th/about.php?Province=election&SiteMenuID=7993

it also has

"Within 7 days before and after the election day, voter who may fail to exercise the right to vote for a reasonable cause must notify the person appointed by the Election Commission to each constituency"

Plus of course, there's still the issue of whether voting could take place at all and whether or not the election should be annulled.

I have had a brilliant idea.

Get the UDD to start and register their very own political party, totally separate and not funded by the PTP or Thaksin but totally self funded and stand for election in EVERY political constituency in the country.

That way, K Thida you would know deep in your heart and soul how much ALL of the Thai people care for you.

Your party must also state their policies nad how they will be paid for in your election campaign and of course you must stand against every PTP and Democrat candidate also.

Of course if the UDD is unwilling or incapable of doing so then please wind your rhetoric down a bit.