Judicial system in the village.

krisb

The system is corrupt from top to bottom. My wife was in a fender bender - motorbike sped in front of her and she could not stop in time. In any other country the motorbike would be at fault, but not here.

Initially, the fine was 30,000 Baht, but the Judge discovered she had a Farang husband, so the fine went to 300,000 Baht. Over a period of weeks, it was bargained down to only 150,000 Baht. Bargaining a fine..?? Only if it is a bribe...!!!

Not so far from the truth.

I was woken up one Sunday morning with two of Bangkoks finest hammering at the door, opened the door.

To cut a long story short, Money was asked for with the implied threat, "you not pay him stay monkey house long time"

The wife nearly ripped the door from the hinges as she slammed it shut, "good, him no good, keep him there long time"

The BIL had got into an altercation and someone had smelt a farang, nice try lads, sorry no cigar today.

Interesting that they spoke like native americans in a movie from the 1950's, yet somehow avoided the phrase 'heap big trouble' :)

About 30 years ago in a village outside Khon Kaen there was a local drug addicted lad who was causing no end of problems for his family and villagers.

His constant thefts plus physical and verbal abuse of village elders got too much for his parents to handle. Attempts at curing his addiction failed.

The parents disowned him and asked the local cops to get rid of the problem no matter what it took.

The police took the lad out into the scrub and offered him a rope or a shot to the head. He used the rope. His body was returned the following day having apparently suicided.

A funeral was held with everyone aware of the circumstances. I was there at the time and the general consensus was it was for the best.

• Like 1

The law in rural Thailand is all about compensation, I personally have witnessed it in action.

Death by car, 100,000.

Death by gang attack, 200,000.

Rape of 12 year old, marriage and 30,000 to parents.

If the person on trial has no money or assets, then the police take them to court.

When my wife's grandmother was killed by a drunk driver, ever one agreed that 70,000 was fare compensation as she was old.

• Like 1

If you look at the Phuket Gazette website you'll see a story about a police officer who accidentally shot a Thai girl dead while he was drunk in a bar. The police chief said afterwards that the are "considering suspending the officer involved". But haven't as yet, it's the wild west out here.

• Like 1

About 30 years ago in a village outside Khon Kaen there was a local drug addicted lad who was causing no end of problems for his family and villagers.

His constant thefts plus physical and verbal abuse of village elders got too much for his parents to handle. Attempts at curing his addiction failed.

The parents disowned him and asked the local cops to get rid of the problem no matter what it took.

The police took the lad out into the scrub and offered him a rope or a shot to the head. He used the rope. His body was returned the following day having apparently suicided.

A funeral was held with everyone aware of the circumstances. I was there at the time and the general consensus was it was for the best.

That story is shocking Asia.

If you look at the Phuket Gazette website you'll see a story about a police officer who accidentally shot a Thai girl dead while he was drunk in a bar. The police chief said afterwards that the are "considering suspending the officer involved". But haven't as yet, it's the wild west out here.

A few years ago a policeman chopped a womans arm off with a sword, Kanchanaburi province.

The woman worked in a karaoke parlour, shockingly the opinion off many Thais was she deserved it for being in that line of work.

Unbelievable.

• Like 1

Could you possibly post a pic of the weapon? Maybe with a light shining on it?

tongue.png

the light should be on the other side if its supposed to be "shining on the weapon " biggrin.png

Knew I wouldn't get away with itcoffee1.gif

Edited to keep speedtripler satisfiedthumbsup.gif

Sometimes the light's all shining on me

Other times I can barely see

Lately it occurs to me

What a long strange trip it's been

from "Truckin'" by the Grateful Dead. The first live performance of this iconic track was on August 18, 1970 at the Fillmore West, San Francisco. They opened the show with an acoustic set, and "Truckin'" was the first song. Words by Robert Hunter; music by Garcia, Lesh, Weir

Copyright Ice Nine Publishing; used by permission.

• Like 1

It is a quicker way to get settled. Why should they go through all that crap, the lawyer, the police, jail and time. I would ask for 1mil not 100k, 555.

When you get in a car accident, do you try to settle down among yourself before calling the insurance company and the police? It is kind of similar process I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

It is a quicker way to get settled. Why should they go through all that crap, the lawyer, the police, jail and time. I would ask for 1mil not 100k, 555.

When you get in a car accident, do you try to settle down among yourself before calling the insurance company and the police? It is kind of similar process I think.

How is that "mor muk" case in Bkk progressing?

Remember it, the one where the army guy beat the shit out the doctor.

How is that "mor muk" case in Bkk progressing?

Remember it, the one where the army guy beat the shit out the doctor.

I do not know. Do you know what happen to him?

Yes and I completely agree.

However the farang cultural viewpoint is that paying money to the victim is simply civil compensation for damages, NOT actually an appropriate punishment.

Maybe crimes against property only, but in the case of someone actually raping a young girl, he should be put in prison for a long time; just paying some money even if it's equivalent to five years' income is not sufficient punishment.

If it was consensual and cultural mores accept that age as being appropriate for marriage AND the girl WANTS to get married to that guy, well then maybe, but in Thailand that "solution" often takes place without those factors being in place, and most farang consider that very primitive and not in line with modern human rights.

• Like 1

if there wasnt any witnesses i would bring you to "hospital" in the boot with a shovel ;) 555

Latest update, if anyone cares, attacker and family at the cop shop with victim and family. Attacker offers 10,000baht. Victim laughed, not accepted.

Stay tuned for more riveting live updates as it happens...

...krisb reporting, 7 nightly news.

wai.gif

• Like 2

I was talking to a Thai friend of mine who's lived in the UK for 20 years and set up a successful business here about justice and the Thai police. His answer was 'we don't need the police for justice - we sort it out amongst ourselves' You might not agree with it but that's the way it's done in Thailand.

I guess part of the reason for it is the lack of legal aid.

This type of negotiation approach is one of the reasons i like the place. Obviously there are extremes where I personally think that no matter what, people should go to court, but in the vast majority of cases if things can be settled by informal negotiation between participants then I'm all for it, so long as if someone wants to take the court approach they are able to.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Ok, the final chapter for those who give a....

Attackers lawyer aka his grandma, taken to hospital with nervous breakdown.

Now, the victim has accepted 30,000 baht, it's about as much cash as someone in the village can get together by borrowing etc

But wait...there's more!....

The local cop, who lives in the village, the same cop from the op, ended up with 15,000 of that baht!

"You have got to be <deleted> joking"!!!w00t.gif ....says me when I heard.

"Give him 5 and that's it"

"No, he wants 15k...half"

What a corrupt <deleted> system it really is. sad.png

Thailand has much room for improvement.coffee1.gif

The End.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Incredible. No one won, except the dang cop.

Exactly mate. Terrible isn't it.

Worst of all this wonderfully corrupt cop now lives in the village so for white guys like me should be slightly worried. Yet to meet him, hope he doesn't drink.

Hopefully the victim will still be able to use his arm once the 50 stitches are removed and spend his measly 15k.