What Is The Worst Road In Thailand

moe666

Recently rode down to Kanchanaburi from Chiang Mai and would have to say the 117 from Phitsaulok to Nakon Sawan has to be the worst dual carriage highway I have been on. It consist of many kilometers of bad patches and bad patches that have gone bad. The last 20k outside Phitsanulok isn't bad as all concrete. The 106 from Lamphun to Thoen is a 7 on a 1 to 10 scale with a few areas that are 4 to 5. If you are going south on the 106 about 1.5k from the animal quarantine center in the small mountain area is a huge pothole that could cause trouble, it is at the bottom of a downhill section going into a curve lefthand side of the lane.

The 1048 is rated a 7 as well with a poor section thru the hills after Thoen overall a very good road.

The 333 south of Uthai Thani is rated a 7 as well for road condition but a 6 for traffic now is the sugar cane harvest lots of over loaded trucks and of course the idiots trying to pass on hills and curves with a light flash.

The 321 short section is another 7 to 8

The 324 into Kanchanaburi is a 8 to 9 new section repaved and the shoulders nice and wide if you need to pull over they are still doing re-construction of bridges keeping this section from a 10.

Edited by metisdead
Please do not post using all caps. Topic title edited to remove all caps.
  • Like 2

i can say Charan Sanitwong Road in Bangkok now! They build metro, underpasses, bridges. Wet plates, potholes everywhere! and road is two lane now.

But worst roads, i have been through India, Nepal and Cambodia.

Kathmandu to Pokhara - Nepal and Pokhara to Jomsom

Roads on Northern India.

Roads going to North of Cambodia.

For worst major routes, I'd say the long section of highway 4 northbound somewhat before Hua Hin. Horrendous across all lanes and quite comical to sit back and watch the rabble dart this way & that to find a smooth bit. In a rental, it's lots of fun.

For dangerous highways, probably the uppy-downy bit from Phuket Town to Patong.

For messed up (though fantastic on a scrambler) roads, the back route between Samoeng and Pai.

• Like 1

Goat mountain.

It's the [1175] which spans between the [105] and [1] it is really pot hole filled and a hard ride in the best of times. In September 2011 it was pretty much 100% washed out, of course just in time for a ride that had been planned, and was brutal. Thanks to taichiplanet for the picture below. The Tiger Boxer and X-Road had a decent run on it, the Versys seemed to handle it pretty well also, but the two Ninja 250R were way out of their element. One more apology to all who thought my idea was a good one.

post-27441-0-36623600-1391688672_thumb.j

• Like 2

Goat mountain.

It's the [1175] which spans between the [105] and [1] it is really pot hole filled and a hard ride in the best of times. In September 2011 it was pretty much 100% washed out, of course just in time for a ride that had been planned, and was brutal. Thanks to taichiplanet for the picture below. The Tiger Boxer and X-Road had a decent run on it, the Versys seemed to handle it pretty well also, but the two Ninja 250R were way out of their element. One more apology to all who thought my idea was a good one.

attachicon.gifIMG_7328.jpg

luckily you had a rather smart Ford Ranger back up truck....5555555

the 11 is awful I'd say 50 times worse than 117 which i use regularly, pretty much any road that runs through Phichit is terrible, wonder where all there road money goes.....

...and when they build a new section it's the same low quality construction method that doesn't last!

I think it's the truck traffic vibrating the road sub-surface which causes cracks in the road base then a hydraulic pumping action drawing the water into the cracks and up to where it can turn the road base to mush. From there it's down hill as the bitumen just collapses.

Goat mountain.

luckily you had a rather smart Ford Ranger back up truck....5555555

After throwing my chain I sure was glad to see that Ranger.

the 11 is awful I'd say 50 times worse than 117 which i use regularly, pretty much any road that runs through Phichit is terrible, wonder where all there road money goes.....

...and when they build a new section it's the same low quality construction method that doesn't last!

I think it's the truck traffic vibrating the road sub-surface which causes cracks in the road base then a hydraulic pumping action drawing the water into the cracks and up to where it can turn the road base to mush. From there it's down hill as the bitumen just collapses.

It is always the overloaded trucks, they destroy the highways in the states as well. A friend of mine visited a while back and he had worked for the New Mexico highway department as a project engineer for about 30 years. We were on a drive around Thailand and all he could say about safety around road work was, it just isn't right. As he said its the water if there is any crack or hole in the surface water will get in and break down the base and work on the adhesion of the oil and rock of the asphalt. In other words nothing can stand up to water once it gets in at least in Thailand they do not have to worry about the freeze- thaw cycle

Great collection of information.

Now only if we could get it inputed into the GPS navigation systems so we can get warnings like:

"You are about to enter a shitty road, please slow down to avoid potholes, cracks and chickens crossing the street. Have a nice day"

• Like 2

Agree with you Moe.

Also from my experiences driving in that area, most of the roads around Phichit are atrocious. About 6 months ago I lastpassed through there in my pick-up, I wouldn't even contemplate it on my bike, no way!

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

Try the road to Sae Kao, road has so may pot holes and is so bad you cant avoid any of them. Hit one hole and blew my front tire.

Reminds me of some old road in europe that are actually made up of stone and you can do about 10k on it.

Building another 2 lane road ajacent to it but not finished.

Figure once finished they will have to close the existing.

Living in Phichit province myself, I could show you roads that have not been resurfaced in the eight years I have been here. I could also show you a road which has been resurfaced then about 70 Ms left alone, before resurfacing again. I can only assume that the local authority are pocketing some of the money for themselves.

• Like 2

i can say Charan Sanitwong Road in Bangkok now! They build metro, underpasses, bridges. Wet plates, potholes everywhere! and road is two lane now.

Roads on Northern India.

5555555 It brings back a lot of memories. Katmandu to Pokhara is probably the worst road i have ever been followed by Goa to Mumbai. I felt like a cowboy there for 18 hours 555.

Mae Sot to Mae Sariang They have been working on it for what seems like years

For dangerous highways, probably the Hill from Kathu to Patong and the other way as well!!! and when its raining even worse

Out of country but still SE Asia

Udom Maxi to Laung Prabng Laos

Phonsavan to site 2 ( couldn't make it thru ) Laos 5555

Roads on Northern India.

5555555 It brings back a lot of memories. Katmandu to Pokhara is probably the worst road i have ever been followed by Goa to Mumbai. I felt like a cowboy there for 18 hours 555.

Goa - Mumbai is actually a good one!

Roads up Northern India is bad especially through Indian Himalayas.

Go down South, roads get better. Actually, their national highways are quite good.

Also, cannot forget the road from Hampi - Hospet to Goa through Hubli road no 34 going 10 kph per hours and constant potholes very deep all around the road and you have to drag the bike at some points but after 50 km, i can say one of the best roads i rode in my life with one of the worlds highest waterfall along the road!

Remember also one more in South India after Chitradurgha, it was dark and i thought taking that short cut to Hospet might be a good idea but i was wrong as it was a truck road with full potholes, 20 kph per hour, only trucks on the road with full beams and horns and middle of nowhere, no electricity, no civilization full dark. that was scary. In India, there are only trucks and rarely busses on roads after dark, no car, no motorbike.

I miss Goa and India a lot man, arrghhh!

Edited by ll2

Roads on Northern India.

Goa - Mumbai is actually a good one!

Roads up Northern India is bad especially through Indian Himalayas.

Go down South, roads get better. Actually, their national highways are quite good.

Also, cannot forget the road from Hampi - Hospet to Goa through Hubli road no 34 going 10 kph per hours and constant potholes very deep all around the road and you have to drag the bike at some points but after 50 km, i can say one of the best roads i rode in my life with one of the worlds highest waterfall along the road!

Remember also one more in South India after Chitradurgha, it was dark and i thought taking that short cut to Hospet might be a good idea but i was wrong as it was a truck road with full potholes, 20 kph per hour, only trucks on the road with full beams and horns and middle of nowhere, no electricity, no civilization full dark. that was scary. In India, there are only trucks and rarely busses on roads after dark, no car, no motorbike.

I miss Goa and India a lot man, arrghhh!

II2 i think i am a bit older than you are. I was on that road from Goa to Mumbai in 1995 and trust me, it wasn't good 555

• Like 1

First time i went up to my gf's village near Siskaret we hired a Honda Jazz to get there. Anyway we went on a shopping trip to the closest Tesco and on the way back my girl's uncle told us to take a shortcut. The shortcut turned into over an hour of dodging craters full of water in the road . We couldn't turn around as this road went thru the rice fields and being wet season i did not want to go too close to the edge and risk sliding into the canals beside the road. I don't know how many times we bottomed out and a couple times we had to push the car out of a crater. I could not look at the damage done to the sump after we got back . I have seen bad roads in the wilds of Oz but nothing like this. Great suggestion to take a short cut.

Edited by xen
  • Like 2

Goat mountain.

There is a section of 105 that is nothing but a pothole.

Any road in Isaan

Last June when I was on a trip around Thailand I rode on a few good roads in Isaan highway 215 and 214 down to Surin was a fairly nice highway I kept a good speed up on this road just slowed down when ever I saw a herd of buffalos setting along the road. The 226 fro around Surin to Buriram was all new in a few long stretches with some construction in others. The 24 over to the 304 had some very good pavement and also some crap. The 304 was ok except for the traffic and the area thru the mountains around Kabin Buri.

• Like 1