Google Earth: how much has global warming raised temperatures near you?

Maestro

Humans have been around a relatively brief time. They have adapted rather well to current environmental conditions - in the sense: more people habitate where there is good soil, moderate weather, and less people habitate where there are deserts or ice. In other words, people have generally gravitated to regions where the weather suits them and their crops, and it's not too severe.

If we were as hardy as lichen or spiders (one type is indigenous to Everest base camp), then climate warming would not be as big a deal. But we're not. Even a slight change in temperature or rainfall, can affect what types of plants survive and their yield. We're an agrarian species (along with leaf-cutter ants and a few others). That's a key reason why relatively fast climate warming is a factor. Not all our species will die, no matter what happens. Not in the next 1,000 years anyway. Even if there was N holocaust, some humans would survive. The debate is wrapped around the fate of perhaps over 50% of people, if climate heats up dramatically, and seas rise. Personally, I care as much for other species as I care for people, so if 50% of people died, that would give certain other species (turtles, big cats, rhinos, sharks, Mediterranean birds, cetacians, bears, elephants, etc) some breathing room.

• Like 1

Easterbrook - from Wiki 0he's a 79 year old emeritus professor

"Easterbrook is not a proponent of "global cooling" he's a proponent that there is a natural variablity to the world's climate and that this variability is natural. He accepts that carbon dioxide is a greenhouse gas but thinks that the natural variability is stronger than CO2 forcings. As such, the section is not about global cooling but about the theory of natural climate variability."

"Other members of the geology department at WWU, however, have criticized, and attempted to distance themselves from, his views after Easterbrook testified before theWashington State Senate Energy, Environment and Telecommunications Committee that carbon dioxide could not cause global warming.[4]"

• Like 1

Younger members of his department still have a career ahead of them so they know better than to let science get in the way of future grants and promotions. It's the old guys that are going to tell you the truth.

Anyhow his credentials are excellent and in this case irrelevant, because this is a temperature graph. we are not discussing his interpretation of the data, We are discussing historical temperatures, If you are disputing the temperature record please find new data.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

", because this is a temperature graph. we are not discussing his interpretation of the data" - and there you have! It is ALL down to interpretation of the evidence and unfortunately if you can't see that I can't see how you can be in this discussion in any meaningful way.

• Like 2

The last +10,000 years show much higher average temperatures with intermittent oscillation.

All without human influence. This is what I am saying. I am not discussing someone's interpretation of data I am presenting simple data and making a statement about it. Please explain where I am incorrect.

You are the one that called into question the creator of the chart and asked for the source to be revealed. and when I did so you seem to be questioning his credibility, so I added that I am not discussing his credential or his interpretation.

You are the one that does not contribute to this discussion in a meaningful way. Yet no one is suggesting that you should not be involved.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

The last +10,000 years show much higher average temperatures with intermittent oscillation.

All without human influence. This is what I am saying. I am not discussing someone's interpretation of data I am presenting simple data and making a statement about it. Please explain where I am incorrect.

You are the one that called into question the creator of the chart and asked for the source to be revealed. and when I did so you seem to be questioning his credibility, so I added that I am not discussing his credential or his interpretation.

You are the one that does not contribute to this discussion in a meaningful way. Yet no one is suggesting that you should not be involved.

Do I sense a bit of paranoia here? - "You are the one that called into question the creator of the chart" - I did no such thing.

Posts 501 and 504 indicate that you did not trust the charts and asked to know who made them. Even though it is irrelevant if the temperatures are accurate. Post 512 you are once again more concerned with who made the graphs.

If not for those posts by you I would not have had to waste time off on this bunny trail which is far from my point and meaningless to me.

We've now reached 17 years and 9 months of no global warming according to the satellite data, but you won't read about this failure of climate prediction anywhere in the MSM.

Now, however, an El Nino event has been detected, which will probably cause some general warming in late 2014 and through 2015.

Prepare yourselves for an orgy of apocalyptic media caterwauling, demanding (such is the arrogant entitlement of the Green/Left that it always "demands", never "requests") the immediate shut-down of industry and increased micro-management of citizens' lives, all for a temperature rise of maybe 0.3C, undetectable by anyone not equipped with a sensitive digital thermometer.

It will be followed by a La Nina (cooling) event, but you won't read about that in the legacy media, either.

• Like 1

Post breaching Forum Rules removed.

13) Do not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

• Like 1

We've now reached 17 years and 9 months of no global warming according to the satellite data, but you won't read about this failure of climate prediction anywhere in the MSM.

Now, however, an El Nino event has been detected, which will probably cause some general warming in late 2014 and through 2015.

Prepare yourselves for an orgy of apocalyptic media caterwauling, demanding (such is the arrogant entitlement of the Green/Left that it always "demands", never "requests") the immediate shut-down of industry and increased micro-management of citizens' lives, all for a temperature rise of maybe 0.3C, undetectable by anyone not equipped with a sensitive digital thermometer.

It will be followed by a La Nina (cooling) event, but you won't read about that in the legacy media, either.

Yes, there are oscillations in weather. Thanks for reminding us. But the overall global trend is warming. Nearly all scientists agree on that. Even some deniers agree, reluctantly, but immediately explain it away as insignificant, or convince themselves that warming is good. More CO2 = leafier plants, bananas growing in Scotland, etc. Sure, warming can be good here and there. It would be nice to wear just t-shirt and shorts in Moscow in the winter. But the overall trend is what's of concern - and how it affects tens of millions of people - who may be on the edge of survival, if they're not there already. Already, every country which borders Bangladesh, for example, has problems with hordes of Bengladshis needing to find places where they can survive - because their home country is getting increasingly swamped each year. That's just one country. Then there are countries which are deserts, and those deserts are getting drier, and living conditions are deteriorating year by year, particularly when human populations increase dramatically.

As I mentioned before, the 'carrying capacity' of many locales worldwide has been exceeded by too many people trying to eke out a meager existence. Because the balance of sink or swim (for them) is so tied in with weather, even just a slight change in weather or sea level, can have severe effects for them. Thai Visa members are a long way from South Sudan, in Km and in lifestyles. We're too comfy with out lifestyles and never further than 5 minutes from an ATM which dispenses 20,000 baht in 1 minute. That's a world of difference to people who are on the edge of survival, and just a bit of weather change means the difference between living and dying.

• Like 1

increasingly swamped..?? I have the same ocean...maybe Bangaleshi's are in a frenzy on their neighbors,

Media driven..?

just kidden'

alohz,

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by KonaRain

increasingly swamped..?? I have the same ocean...maybe Bangaleshi's are in a frenzy on their neighbors,

Media driven..?

just kidden'

alohz,

There are at least two major rivers emptying out there. Swollen rivers are bad enough, but when it's high tide, the water backs up even more. Even just a few mm's of sea rising can have an adverse affect. Typhoons are also a factor. They effectively push water further inland (remember typhoon Nargis when it hit Burma?). Bangladesh already has a system of mobile floating classrooms which float from village to village, and that system needs added boats each year. Some villages have an approx 4 meter high bamboo frame in the middle. When floods get severe, villagers are encouraged to go and scamper up and hold on for dear life, literally. It might be the only structure higher than floods for stretches of time. Those of us living comfortable lives in comparatively safe places, can't be expected to understand the challenges that some others face or will face. What prompts people like the Rohinga to get on a leaky boat and head out to who-knows-where? You gotta be pretty darn desperate to do that, ....but they do.

• Like 1

Can you explain for the rest of us the connection between the tribulations of the Rohinga, and global warming? I assume there is one, this being a global warming thread and all.

Earlier on, you almost made a sensible comment, but caught yourself in time; there are indeed people, millions of people, "on the edge of survival" to whom "just a bit of weather change means the difference between living and dying".

What's the difference between them and us? Development. Exactly that same development that the Green movement, with its stubborn opposition to power plants in the third world, and wilful wasting of hundreds of billions of dollars on futile feel-good climate policies, is actively seeking to deny to those endangered people.

Those people who remain "on the edge of survival" stay there in large part because Green policy is committed to denying them a chance at a better life.

If millions of them die in a forthcoming extreme weather event, it will have nothing to do with global warming, and everything to do with decisions made far away by arrogant, narcissistic Green-leaning elites pretending to "save the planet."

• Like 1

Posts 501 and 504 indicate that you did not trust the charts and asked to know who made them. Even though it is irrelevant if the temperatures are accurate. Post 512 you are once again more concerned with who made the graphs.

If not for those posts by you I would not have had to waste time off on this bunny trail which is far from my point and meaningless to me.

i think we are all aware that your deductive and analytical powers are somewhat vestigial, and it would of course explain your strange ideas on climate change.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you explain for the rest of us the connection between the tribulations of the Rohinga, and global warming? I assume there is one, this being a global warming thread and all.

Earlier on, you almost made a sensible comment, but caught yourself in time; there are indeed people, millions of people, "on the edge of survival" to whom "just a bit of weather change means the difference between living and dying".

What's the difference between them and us? Development. Exactly that same development that the Green movement, with its stubborn opposition to power plants in the third world, and wilful wasting of hundreds of billions of dollars on futile feel-good climate policies, is actively seeking to deny to those endangered people.

Those people who remain "on the edge of survival" stay there in large part because Green policy is committed to denying them a chance at a better life.

If millions of them die in a forthcoming extreme weather event, it will have nothing to do with global warming, and everything to do with decisions made far away by arrogant, narcissistic Green-leaning elites pretending to "save the planet."

RB seems to assign a large influence coming from well-off westerners - as regards their influence on the lifestyles of dirt-poor 3rd worlders. Granted, there is some influence, but by far the lion's share of the reason 3rd worlders are having trouble eking out a living is of their own doing. A place like eastern/central Africa, for example, is constantly troubled with gangs of troublemakers, and a slew of other problems. GW will likely exacerbate the already deplorable conditions in places like that. How, you may ask? Partial answer: by decreasing yields of already meager substinence farming, by erosion of soil, by flooding, by droughts, possibly pestilence. Granted, such things happen every year, but their severity coupled with overcrowding of people, will render things worse.

It's even happening in Thailand to some extent. The drought we had during Abhitit's turn at PM was deemed 'the worst in 17 years.' The floods that hit Bangkok in 2011 were claimed to be one of the worst on record. And Thailand is in a relatively good position compared to, for example; southern and SW Burma. The Rohinga have several reasons for risking their lives floating off in the ocean. A whole book could be written about that, but the effects of GW could be a factor, particularly for why they fled from Bangladesh years earlier.

I think about what this could do to Bangkok as a result of this possible sea level rise ?

East Antarctica melt could cause a global coastal destruction

“Once started, it becomes unstoppable. At the moment it’s still stable but if it melts then the ice plug alone will result in a global sea-level rise of between 5 and 8 centimetres, but the ice that it will release is going to cause 80 times that amount of sea-level rise,” said Professor Anders Levermann of the Potsdam Institute.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/east-antarctica-melt-could-cause-a-global-coastal-destruction-9324364.html

Edited by midas

^^

Well done. The textbook case of cherry-picking, aka ignoring or excising inconvenient information.

The full quote from the paper is:

Complete ice discharge from the affected region in East Antarctica takes five thousand to ten thousand years in the simulations. However, once started, the discharge would slowly but relentlessly continue until the whole basin is empty, even if climate warming stopped.

Like we have any clue how the world is going to look in 5000 years, any more than the Egyptian pharaohs could imagine the world of today.

Bangkok is going to face problems a great deal sooner than that due to the fact that it is sinking rapidly as, like Jakarta, it is an utterly unsuitable place to build a high-rise concrete city. Even Ho Chi Minh City, some 60kms inland but still on a tidal river, is going to suffer from being built on silt and stupidity.

Once again, nothing to do with global warming; this time, totally due to human ignorance.

Edited by RickBradford

^^
Well done. The textbook case of cherry-picking, aka ignoring or excising inconvenient information.
Complete ice discharge from the affected region in East Antarctica takes five thousand to ten thousand years in the simulations. However, once started, the discharge would slowly but relentlessly continue until the whole basin is empty, even if climate warming stopped.
Like we have any clue how the world is going to look in 5000 years, any more than the Egyptian pharaohs could imagine the world of today.
Bangkok is going to face problems a great deal sooner than that due to the fact that it is sinking rapidly as, like Jakarta, it is an utterly unsuitable place to build a high-rise concrete city. Even Ho Chi Minh City, some 60kms inland but still on a tidal river, is going to suffer from being built on silt and stupidity.
Once again, nothing to do with global warming; this time, totally due to human ignorance.

" The full quote from the paper is "

Which paper are you referring to please? Because the paragraph you have highlighted does not appear in the article which I posted from the Independent?ermm.gif

^^

Which paper are you referring to please? Because the paragraph you have highlighted does not appear in the article which I posted from the Independent?ermm.gif

So RickBradford you simply made up that passage that you quoted? How disingenuous of you.tut tut

is that what you climate change deniers have to resort to. Claiming that you have posted a full passage from an article and yet not even providing a link. whistling.gif

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

Climate change is here, and the effects are already being felt across the US. That's the consensus of the Third National Climate Assessment, published today by the US Global Change Research Program. Drawn from a team of 300 scientists with input from 13 US government agencies and vetted by the National Academy of Sciences, the report leaves little room for debate over human-induced warming. Instead, the 831-page report catalogues the current impacts of climate change within the country and argues that urgent efforts are needed to reduce carbon emissions while we try to mitigate or adapt to the ongoing effects. Here are just a few of the key resources now under pressure:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25526-climate-change-already-impacting-the-us-report-warns.html#.U2mh9KLDt-x
  • Like 1

^^

You seem very human to me.

• Like 1

^^

So RickBradford you simply made up that passage that you quoted? How disingenuous of you.tut tut

is that what you climate change deniers have to resort to. Claiming that you have posted a full passage from an article and yet not even providing a link. whistling.gif

Will these links help? The full quote is in all of them.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140505104435.htm

http://www.pik-potsdam.de/news/press-releases/uncorking-east-antarctica-yields-unstoppable-sea-level-rise

http://www.sciencenewsline.com/articles/2014050514290017.html

• Like 2

Honeybees are in trouble from warmer temperatures, according to computer models created by Flinders Uni Ph.D student Scott Groom. You may wonder how Groom was able to estimate bee populations from 20,000 years ago, but the man himself is certain he has stumbled on something big.

“They’re almost canaries in the coal mine, you can see that they’re going to be the first sort of species to be impacted by changes in climate,” Groom said.

Global warming canaries? Oh, how the Greens love to tug the heartstrings with their emotional wordplay. Only thing is, there are so many global warming canaries that the coalmine must look like an underground version of Noah's Ark.

The corals will be the canary in the coal mine in terms of the effect climate change will have on our oceans. - Time Magazine

Global warming may present a threat to animal and plant life even in biodiversity hot spots. In this case, the lemur plays the role of the canary in the coal mine…U.S.News & World Report

The Australian ski industry represents a ‘canary in the coalmine’. Globally, it is one of the first and most visibly impacted industries by the risk of climate change…. - Geographical Research

Jasper Carlton, director of the Biodiversity Legal Foundation, told High Country News that he believes that frogs and other amphibians are the proverbial canary in the coal mine… The Environmental Magazine

Like a canary in a coal mine, the hyper-sensitive polar regions may well experience the full force of global warming before the rest of the planet does. - The Economist

“American pikas are like the ‘canary in the coal mine’ when it comes to climate change,” said Dr Catarina Cardoso, - WWF

In a telephone interview with CNN, Josberger called the unprecedented glacial melt the “canary in the coal mine".

Like the proverbial canary in the coal mine, penguins are sounding the alarm for potentially catastrophic changes in the world’s oceans,….. - Phys Org

The Great Barrier Reef could be dead in 20 years …….Prof Hoegh-Guldberg said the reefs were like a “canary in a coal mine” for other vulnerable areas of the environment,….. Brisbane Times

“This mayfly represents the canary in the coal mine,” said Henry Frania, -- Toronto Star Newspapers

“In relation to global warming, the wine industry is the canary in the coal mine because it’s one of the most sensitive indicators of climate change,” - China Post

Gray wolves could emerge as a “canary in the coal mine” of global warming by suggesting how climate change will affect species around the world, USA Today

“These countries (in Southeast Asia) in a way are the canary in the mine, they’re the ones that will be confronted by the impacts of climate change - Space Daily

Africa is the canary in the mine of global security, as climate change threatens to redraw the maps of the continent - IPS News Agency

The oysters—these from Yaquina Bay—could be the proverbial “canary in the coal mine” in indicating changes in ocean acidification, he says. - The Register-Guard

“We’re like the canary in the coal mine here,” said Joette Lorion of the Everglades Coalition - Sun Sentinel

It’s the East Coast counterpart to the canary in the coal mine: three crows, all infected with West Nile virus, found dead recently in New York and New Jersey. - nurseweek.com

The Canary Initiative was so named because the City of Aspen views itself, and other communities which are economically dependent on winter snow for recreation and summer snow pack for water supply, as the “canary in the coal mine” of global warming. - Parsons Behle & Latimer

And on, and on, and on (the Grand Canyon, Haiti, Las Vegas, Nebraska, the Carteret Islands, the Galapagos, obesity, songbirds, polar bears, purple finches, Tuvalu, the Maldives, butterflies, black guillemot, Australia, mountain pine beetles, agriculture, coffee, mussels, the Appalachian Trail, the Amazon, the walrus, moose, New England lobster, shrimp, dragonflies, lizards, bats, plankton .....)

All canaries. It's a lot harder to find something that isn't a global warming canary. Mud, perhaps, or used footwear.

Tired cliches, weepy emotionalism and rampant hysteria. Yes, it could only be climate change alarmism.

Adept at google searches, RB gets an A+ for searching 'canary in a coalmine.'

English is a colorful language, with over 15,000 idioms.

There sure are a lot of indicators of global warming. Too bad some of our fellow commentators on this thread are fixated about not acknowledging it.

Here's are 2 added 'canary in a coalmine' phenomena I noticed at my residence in northern Thailand:

A type of primrose, which I call mini-daisies, are proliferating everywhere. They ordinarily like warmer climate, and weren't noticeable here in prior years.

Trees are flowering two months earlier than prior years. Maybe it's more like; 'a locust in a crystal cave' but it appears to be indicative of a global warming trend which all but a few scientists agree is happening.

• Like 2

The silly 'global warming canary' claims are far from being "indicators of global warming" -- they are indicators of a thoroughly vapid and immature mindset which seeks to scare the terminally gullible into thinking that Evil Mankind is precipitating a global climate catastrophe.

It's the God-is-angry-with-us story, updated to the secular age, and designed to keep the foolish in line.

But Nature isn't buying it (almost 18 years with no warming, and the canaries are singing away happily), and what's more, the population, or the educated portion of it at least, is no longer listening to the alarmists.

• Like 1

konarain became brad..gotta fix that..bees are dying from colony collapse disorder.. viora mites..nicitinocides..one or the other. I heard about vineyards moving north.. butterflies and earlier blackberry's! they're repairing the Kona seawall, after two foot tsunami in 2011. I asked some of the workers and older leadmen if 2 mm q year has become noticeable after years..'hard too tell was the only answer..our new U.S. report on climate disruption is about global warming= climate chaos..

I'm still skeptical because of different motives..but am 'warming up'. Alohz