Australia drug convict Schapelle Corby granted parole

webfact

Australia drug convict Schapelle Corby granted parole

(BBC) Convicted Australian drug trafficker Schapelle Corby has been granted parole after serving nine years in prison, Indonesia has announced.

Corby, 35, was convicted of drug smuggling in 2005 after 4.1kg (9lb) of marijuana was found in her bag at Denpasar airport in Bali in 2004.

The former beauty student has always maintained her innocence.

Her case has attracted intense interest in Australia, with prolonged public debate over her guilt or innocence.

It also led to criticism of what was perceived by some as a tough 20-year prison sentence.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26078950

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-02-07

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One amusing piece of footage from outside the jail was Mercedes Corby asking the media to give the family some privacy.

Odd considering reports of the family shopping the story and interviews around to media outlets.

They obviously don't want to screw up the exclusive....

• Like 2

At 25 she was still a beauty student. Most do this at 16 and 17? Sounds as though she was slow, that maybe why she couldn't work out how the dope got into the dope's bag. If she didn't pack it maybe someone in the family put it in!cheesy.gif

Honestly, the girl has done enough time, but the coverage she has got with her family, is a shame; will see a few good books written, I hope not. The Bali goal has to be the best in Asia to get locked up in. What they should have done is transfered her to a few more years in a Aussie goal.clap2.gif

One of the Indonesian Poli's suggested that her Dad was involved in the racket on the TV here in OZ. I am sure his inteligence source would be reliable. But the whole family has some form in this side of business from various media reports here in OZ.

At the end of the day, if not her then someone in the family should have done the time. I just hope the bail conditions restrict this minipulating muppet from earning any money from the trade in misery that her family is involved in.

Good on ya Indonesia.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

They should've let her through and waited to nab her as she was dutifully handing the stash over to her boganess sister and Bali 'expat', Mercedes.

Footage yesterday morning of Mercedes showing her true and familiar colours as she entered the prison - pushing and hitting reporters, even causing one of them to fall to the ground. No screeching mother this time though

They should've let her through and waited to nab her as she was dutifully handing the stash over to her boganess sister and Bali 'expat', Mercedes.

Footage yesterday morning of Mercedes showing her true and familiar colours as she entered the prison - pushing and hitting reporters, even causing one of them to fall to the ground. No screeching mother this time though

Lol, what a class act that Mercedes is .

No doubt there's going to be another chapter to this story. There should be laws to prevent germs like this selling their stories to the media.

• Like 2

neverdie, on 07 Feb 2014 - 21:09, said:

There should be laws to prevent germs like this selling their stories to the media.

This is where I'm baffled. Prohibition doesn't work as it creates more problems than it solves, but I respect the law.

The illicit supply of drugs - supply and demand - will forever ignore the law.

Chavs like Schapelle Corby are only given oxygen by a liberal media. Once the cosmos adopts a tolerant and taxable approach to narcotics will we be safe from the likes of Ms Corby and her rotten family. I freaking detest these people crying foul after the fact. They should be grateful they weren't shot at dawn.

I envisage a well-controlled drug supply from governments in years to come.

I love drugs, by the way.

• Like 2

Transporting marijuana ought to be legal imho. It's a valued public service as is transportation and distribution of food alcohol and medicine etc. The laws around cannabis are insane as anyone who extensively researches it's medicinal and industrial uses will find out. Especially re: cannabinoids and cancer. Anyway happy she's getting out. She was technically guilty so tough luck. I can't imagine anyone could be that stupid as to intentionally import dope to Bali. Serious crazy alert if she did !

Borisloosebrain recommends the use of weed ! PRICELESS ! Great stuff Boris, but whilst I understand there are some medical reasons 'some' experts in the field believe that the use of cannabis is beneficial there is plenty of medical evidence on how detrimental the use of this crap can be on the mental health of those that use it.

I'm not medically trained above advanced first aid, but I have two eyes, two ears and a functioning brain and I have seen first hand how damaging this crap can be, despite what rubbish dope users pedal.

Of course one of the constant arguments that dopies bring to the table is the old alcohol arguement, which in my opinion for doesn't take the dope argument anywhere, as one wrong doesn't make another right.

Must be a hell of a life if substances like this are needed to get by.

As for Shappelle, her hell has only just begun, the medias going to be all over her, she's going to be living in a small house with her sister & a dozen other Indonesians ands she's going to have to remain in the hellhole of a country for the next 9 years or so. If she takes any of the money she earns from the media payments back to Australia, it will be confiscated and rightfully so. I would be surprised if at the end of all of this she runs back to the front doors of Kerobokan jail begging to be let back in.

What a circus.

• Like 1

Transporting marijuana ought to be legal imho. It's a valued public service as is transportation and distribution of food alcohol and medicine etc. The laws around cannabis are insane as anyone who extensively researches it's medicinal and industrial uses will find out. Especially re: cannabinoids and cancer. Anyway happy she's getting out. She was technically guilty so tough luck. I can't imagine anyone could be that stupid as to intentionally import dope to Bali. Serious crazy alert if she did !

Borisloosebrain recommends the use of weed ! PRICELESS ! Great stuff Boris, but whilst I understand there are some medical reasons 'some' experts in the field believe that the use of cannabis is beneficial there is plenty of medical evidence on how detrimental the use of this crap can be on the mental health of those that use it.

I'm not medically trained above advanced first aid, but I have two eyes, two ears and a functioning brain and I have seen first hand how damaging this crap can be, despite what rubbish dope users pedal.

Of course one of the constant arguments that dopies bring to the table is the old alcohol arguement, which in my opinion for doesn't take the dope argument anywhere, as one wrong doesn't make another right.

As for Shappelle, her hell has only just begun, the medias going to be all over her, she's going to be living in a small house with her sister & a dozen other Indonesians ands she's going to have to remain in the hellhole of a country for the next 9 years or so. If she takes any of the money she earns from the media payments back to Australia, it will be confiscated and rightfully so. I would be surprised if at the end of all of this she runs back to the front doors of Kerobokan jail begging to be let back in.

What a circus.

"Hellhole of a Country"??

She gets to serve out her time in Bali. People from all over the world would jump at the chance!

• Like 1

I know a lot of people who like to live in Thailand for the rest of their life, but I don't know any that want to do that in a Thai prison.

I know a lot of people who like Bali, but I don't know any that want to spend a long time in prison in there.

Edited by Credo

Yep she was guilty.

Her family have been doing this for years to Bali, that day the usual Imm guy was off duty.

Now she is set to reap the benefits for exclusives and the mini series.

Proceeds of crime..... officially she will be getting <deleted> all.

I know a lot of people who like to live in Thailand for the rest of their life, but I don't know any that want to do that in a Thai prison.

I know a lot of people who like Bali, but I don't know any that want to spend a long time in prison in jail.

She's out of prison but has to serve her parole in Bali.

What a circus.

"Hellhole of a Country"??

She gets to serve out her time in Bali. People from all over the world would jump at the chance!

Canman, we all know why thousands of lubed up & piiiiised moron flock to the place, they are partly the reason the place is a hell hole. I understand one mans paradise in this case may be my hellhole.

I kind of look at it like I do Pattaya & Patong, 30 years ago, wonderful little places, these days HELL ON EARTH, if you didn't have the pleasure of visiting there 30 years ago, I'm probably speaking a foreign language to you.

Shappelle will end up remaining in indo until her time is up, then they might deport her, she won't be able to take her money to Australia because that'll be confiscated, the Australian govt should bill her for wasted time officials have spent try to sought her mess out..... Then again indo might keep her and send Mercedes back or perhaps they'll bundle the whole lot of them up and send em to North Korea for KJU's next birthday. I dunno, don't care, I just hope the media hurry up and let it go.

• Like 1

She is actually the worst example of a media 'darling' I've seen for many years.

Almost daily, poor, or desperate, or ignorant, or duped people are caught and sentenced for drug trafficking with no chance of parole and long sentences, sometimes a death sentence.

Because Corby was white and shaggable, her crime became a case discussed in the world media and she was given support by media and government.

A poor Laos, Filippino or Malaysian will slide quietly into a shithole of a prison cell and never be heard of.

Shocking double standards by the west.

She's Australian and her country cared about her case and the comparatively high sentence she got whereas Malaysia, Laos or the Philippines don't give one flying you-know-what about wether or not one of their citizens got nicked for drugs! It's sheer lack of empathy of the countries you named and not double standard by the west.

Edited by pacovl46
  • Like 1

Try smuggling dope into North Korea,

might very well be executed by a firing squad.. (Though I wouldn't mind getting a country in my inheritance!)

What I don't understand is, if she got found

guilty, why are people up in arms about it?

Got the ba**s to do the crime, be well prepared to do the time.

Is like going to a neighbors house and

shit*ing all over the place, then cry foul

when you get exposed?

I respect all countries laws on smuggling drugs, where the east serves

a very heavy handed sentence to people who break them.

Most immigration cards carry a warning of the consequences of drug trafficking.

I know of personal friends who have died and some who are dying due to the addiction, hence no apathy from here.

somtam palah

At 25 she was still a beauty student. Most do this at 16 and 17? Sounds as though she was slow, that maybe why she couldn't work out how the dope got into the dope's bag. If she didn't pack it maybe someone in the family put it in!cheesy.gif

Honestly, the girl has done enough time, but the coverage she has got with her family, is a shame; will see a few good books written, I hope not. The Bali goal has to be the best in Asia to get locked up in. What they should have done is transfered her to a few more years in a Aussie goal.clap2.gif

One of the Indonesian Poli's suggested that her Dad was involved in the racket on the TV here in OZ. I am sure his inteligence source would be reliable. But the whole family has some form in this side of business from various media reports here in OZ.

At the end of the day, if not her then someone in the family should have done the time. I just hope the bail conditions restrict this minipulating muppet from earning any money from the trade in misery that her family is involved in.

Good on ya Indonesia.thumbsup.gif

She can't sell her story - it's illegal in Australia to profit from a crime.

• Like 2