Galare Thong and Noise

Konini

A friend of mine is wanting to move into an apartment there, but I've heard it's noisy at night because of the karaoke bars around it. Can anyone who has actually lived there confirm or quash please.

I have lived in Galaethong for four years and i have never not been able to sleep due to external or internal noise. If I stand on my balcony some evenings i can hear singing not from Karaoke bars but private parties. Once inside no noise.

• Like 1

I have lived in Galaethong for four years and i have never not been able to sleep due to external or internal noise. If I stand on my balcony some evenings i can hear singing not from Karaoke bars but private parties. Once inside no noise.

I too never had a problem with noise while living there. I was on the south side so maybe it was noise free. I'd suggest your friend visits at on a Friday or Saturday night and check it out himself.

Soi dogs - someone told me yesterday of a small electronic sound emitting device that keeps them at bay.

I always thought those things didnt really work-any one got one/bought one here/tried it?? If they work I want one!!

I too never had a problem with noise while living there. I was on the south side so maybe it was noise free. I'd suggest your friend visits at on a Friday or Saturday night and check it out himself.

Like I stated NO NOISE FROM THE KARAOKE BARS but private parties. If you are afraid of a dog then you will have a problem walking anywhere in Chiang Mai!

I lived in Galae Thong for about 9 months (about 14 months ago), never had a problem with noise. I was on the 12th floor facing East towards the Southern end. I do remember the soi dogs that hung around near the kareoke bars...one had a go at me once but after I chased him on the scooter he never bothered me again. I do believe dogs sense fear and is why some 'have a go' at you, but other dogs are just mongrels and will go anyone....nothing a lead slug wouldnt fix! Pepper spray maybe a good alternative tho.

I think a few months ago the bar nearest Chang Klan road changed owners or name...maybe why the noise is so bad now? Never had problems with private parties during my time there. The groundfloor cafe was nice and food good.

Just my sixpence worth...

With the dogs, you must win the encounter. Wait until they back down, retreat and avert their gaze. Use a weapon if necessary. They will not bother you again.

'Wait until they back down'??

How does that work when they are chasing you jogging/cycling?

They back down after they bite you, and you go off for your rabies jabs

What 'weapon' are you suggesting?-portable obviously

With the dogs, you must win the encounter. Wait until they back down, retreat and avert their gaze. Use a weapon if necessary. They will not bother you again.

I find a 9 iron is about right.

• Like 1

Bite back, scare them, surely you you don't need instruction in how to intimidate a dog!

• Like 2

I seem to recall that during the last floods that Galare Thong's foyer was under water and that people were stuck in the building while others couldn't gain access to their apartments. Someone there at that time will be able to give a more accurate report.

Bite back, scare them, surely you you don't need instruction in how to intimidate a dog!

Never managed to intimidate my brother's rottweilers or my son's Akita's. I dont like dogs and I guess they smell that and the feeling is mutual!!

And thanks for the idea Mousehound but I am not great with a 9 iron and it aint too portable when jogging!!

Soi dogs - someone told me yesterday of a small electronic sound emitting device that keeps them at bay.

I always thought those things didnt really work-any one got one/bought one here/tried it?? If they work I want one!!

Dog Dazer 2. They work 95% of the time. They won't work if the dog is already attacking, but will prevent it if used in a preventative manner. Can't get them here though.

Sent from my phone, hence brevity and gypos

Dog Dazer 2. They work 95% of the time. They won't work if the dog is already attacking, but will prevent it if used in a preventative manner. Can't get them here though.

Checked those out and they dont get rave reviews. I figure if that electronic stuff was effective every postman would carry one. 6000 a year are bitten in the uk alone-I guess they need to be taught how to intimidate a dog too.

There is a former resident of your hotel who frequently visits the bar there, Konini. He lives Galea Thong / Changklan area... It might be worth having a chat with Mr K (don't know if he is a TV member, but he pops in for a vodka or three almost every day.)

• Like 1

<Sigh> Another non-related thread hijacked by the same old dog haters...

If you have problems with small social animals one-fifth your size, then you probably need to take a closer look at your own life.

Edited by Jose

Just to distract from the OP.. Whenever I see the name of this place, it makes me wonder that I always understood that to be a euphemism no ??

Galee tong = golden flower = bar girls.

A Thai once said to me that its a word play on golden flowers being lovely and that the golden flower is what they sit on, opening petals and all that..

Makes for an odd apartment name ??

<Sigh> Another non-related thread hijacked by the same old dog haters...

If you have problems with small social animals one-fifth your size, then you probably need to take a closer look at your own life.

i have dogs, i love dogs, its the anti-social aggressive ones that i have a problem with.

• Like 1

Just to distract from the OP.. Whenever I see the name of this place, it makes me wonder that I always understood that to be a euphemism no ??

Galee tong = golden flower = bar girls.

A Thai once said to me that its a word play on golden flowers being lovely and that the golden flower is what they sit on, opening petals and all that..

Makes for an odd apartment name ??

I thought, maybe mistakenly, that the Galare was the name for buffalo horns traditionally place on Thai roofs.

Checked those out and they dont get rave reviews. I figure if that electronic stuff was effective every postman would carry one. 6000 a year are bitten in the uk alone-I guess they need to be taught how to intimidate a dog too.

Has always worked for me and everybody I've loaned it to. I can see how people would think it didn't work if they just started to use it as a dog attacked (i.e. it really won't) but if used in a preventative manner (i.e. there's a dog 10m ahead, press button, hold down until 10m past) it is very reliable. I will admit that I have no issue with most dogs and tend to take an aggressive attitude towards random dogs in my path (shouting "go away" in a meaningful tone is good) but there will always those that will catch you by surprise as they pop out from behind a car. My Dog Dazer is presently with a friend who is using it in their local soi with a lot of success. Interesting to note that the local dogs now get out of white people's (he is white) ways now....probably something to do with Pavlov!!

• 1 month later...

I tried an apartment there once ...and moved out after one week

The noise was no good, the dogs were not friendly (and I do like dogs) and the girls are really not what you want your friends to see as you come home unless you like that night scene

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app