Surapong believes deporting Indian businessman Satish Sehgal won't affect Thai-Indian relations

webfact

This story gets more bizzare by the second. When this first hit, Mr Satish Sehgal was a guest speaker on the PDRC stage.

Yesterday he was being refered to as a co-leader and now today he is a key leader. I guess by tomorrow he will be Suthep's right hand man. This is about as bogus and desperate as it gets. Thaksin's PTP minions must be getting really desperate.

This will harm the credability (ok, ok, they have none left, but that's not the point) of the PTP government more than anything he could ever say, especially in the eyes of foreign observers and media. I truely hope the foreign media jump on this and play it for all it's worth.

Plus it sends a very strong message to all foreigners, that they have ZERO rights in Thailand, no matter how long they have been here.

This country gets worse by the minute.

• Like 1

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This story gets more bizzare by the second. When this first hit, Mr Satish Sehgal was a guest speaker on the PDRC stage.

Yesterday he was being refered to as a co-leader and now today he is a key leader. I guess by tomorrow he will be Suthep's right hand man. This is about as bogus and desperate as it gets. Thaksin's PTP minions must be getting really desperate.

This will harm the credability (ok, ok, they have none left, but that's not the point) of the PTP government more than anything he could ever say, especially in the eyes of foreign observers and media. I truely hope the foreign media jump on this and play it for all it's worth.

Plus it sends a very strong message to all foreigners, that they have ZERO rights in Thailand, no matter how long they have been here.

This country gets worse by the minute.

Have foreigners ever been led to believe anything else?

This is like a TAT announcement.

Protests won't effect tourists.

Deporting the head of the chamber of commerce won't hurt.... Yeah right.

The head of the chamber of commerce is not being deported. India has similar laws and regulations in place, and has deported people for less visible political activity.

The man is described as a "tycoon", as an "important" businessman. What exactly is his business in Thailand, aside from promoting Indian weddings?

Can anyone please explain how he is a tycoon? What is his importance to the Thai economy?

He's an industrialist with fingers in many pies and is also quite a big player in property.

You do realise that almost all of Sukhumvit from Ekkamai to Nana is owned by a handful of Indian clans?

He does Chamber of Commerce stuff as a part time job/hobby and the wedding reception idea was most likely just a throw-away idea during a meeting which he recalled for the benefit of the interviewing journalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

You claim he is an "industrialist". Ok. Which industry. if you know he's an industrialist, please educate me and tell me which industries the man has invested in. What are these pies you refer to. Don't just throw out a claim, please give me something substantive. I have a good idea of what the man does, but you do not otherwise you would have been more specific.

So the Chamber of Commerce activity, is now just a hobby.? Are you aware that he was lobbying the then Democrat administration support him in his quest to promote Indian weddings in Thailand? Weddings are not a throw away, as they formed a corner stone of his business activities. My understanding is that the these Indian weddings would bring in Indians, where they would be greeted by Indian shuttle drivers, and taken to Indian owned properties to eat Indian food and to stay in facilities where the profits went into the pockets of Indians.

The man was the principal of the family controlled Sehgal Group. See if you come to the same conclusion that I did;

Advertising & Media Consultants Co., Ltd. (AMC) was formed in 1971 by Mr. Satish and Ravi Sehgal as a publishing house in Bangkok, Thailand. The company publishes LOOKEAST magazine, a monthly English language travel magazine with a circulation of over 20,000 copies. AMC also says it publishes the only available monthly flight schedule directory,called the Thailand Airline Timetable. It is supposedly available through subscription and from leading bookstores throughout the country. AMC also claims to publish annual directories, author’s books, coffee table books, yearbooks, catalogues, brochures, and similar items. The websites are www.lookeastmagazine.com and www.thailandairlinetmetable.com (I believe that Thailand Airline Timetable is not operational. In the west, we refer to these directories and mailings by other terms.)

Exclusive Properties Co., Ltd was formed in 1985 by Mr. Satish Sehgal, Mr. Ravi Sehgal, and Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a property management company. The company currently owns and manages properties in and around Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, and Pak Chong. (Would you like to see what these properties are? )

Thai Mailing Service (TMS) was formed in 1997 by Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a Print & Mail In Source & Out Source bureau services company specializing in high speed digital printing, high speed insertion, Direct Mail processing, letter shopping, SMS services, full system storage & parcel processing and mail room operations, digital data entry and onsite staff placement. TMS has recently invested in a Four Color Digital Inkjet Color system delivering digital variable color addressing on envelopes, postcards, and many other materials. www.tms.co.th (Know what this activity is typically called?)

Global Gourmet Systems Co., Ltd (GGS) was formed in 2004 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal. The company owns and operates Indus, a leading Indian restaurant and catering service in Sukhumvit Soi 26. The restaurant opened in December 2005. The website is www.indusbangkok.com

Global Travel Consultants Co., Ltd (GTC) was formed in 2008 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal and Mr. Gaurav Sehgal. GTC is a travel agency located in Sukhumvit Soi 26 that provides the following services: Ticketing, Hotel Reservations, Sightseeing & Tours, Wedding Services, Conference Services, and Holiday Packages. The website is www.lookeasttravels.com (Ahh, so now we see why he was big on promoting the Indian wedding business and wanted that promotion that the Democrats undertook when they were in power.)

This is the great industrialist. He has a number of small businesses typical of hard working entrepreneurs. I haven't eaten in his Indian restaurant, so I don't know what it's like. However, I'm not a fan of Indian food in Thailand. It looks like he's a guy who runs travel junkets and capitalizing on the activity by having a stake in the places where the travelers stay, what they eat and the tours they take. Nothing wrong with that. He knows how to exploit a niche. However, to call him an industrialist, a builder of Thai society IMO is a stretch. I don't doubt his work ethic, nor denigrate his taking care of his family and making sure they all have employment in the family businesses. However, we have all seen these Indian travel shops in Thailand and know what they are and the market they cater to. Please do not dress up what the man does. I'm sorry, but he's basically a travel promoter targeting the Indian market, and nothing more.

OK you win.

• Like 1

He's Indian, what's he doing being so.visibly involved in Thai domestic politics? Most things I read advise foreigners to keep out of such things. I know it wouldn't go over very well in the States if some rich foreigner was a member of a clique leading an effort to overthrow our elected federal government!

Strange how when a Thai kid was getting deported from Denmark, there was all hell broke loose with the word 'racists' flying around all over the place.

Yet Denmark was only sticking by its own immigration and national laws.

Also the kids was of no benefit to Denmark and had done nothing to benefit Denmark and in fact was a user of Danish resources, as with his Thai mother too.

Now we have a 71 year old Indian, who has benefited Thailand greatly, and been here paying much tax over his 66 years in the country. He has also served as an adviser to 5 finance ministers. he has been a loyal servant of the Thai people.

Yet they want to have him deported, creating a huge problem for all his businesses he has to run here. Why?? because he stood on a stage and said he believed in the PDRC's cause that there should be reforms to combat corruption... so what? Isn't that also what Yingluck trying to peddle to appease the protesters??

I think he could deffo create problems between India and Thailand, he obviously has many contacts who he could lever away from dealing with Thailand and shift to other places to trade with... Thailand is not the only place to do business with.

This will be quite big news in India. He will have many hundreds of friends in India doing business through him who would back him up. The Indians are fiercely nationalistic and would see this as a bit of an insult.

This government shoot themselves in the foot on a daily basis. This is just another example.

This guy is being branded a PDRC leader.... No he isn't, he is just a supporter.

There is a split right here on Thaivisa.com There are you pro-govs and your anti-govs. Surely we are supporters of one side or the other, so in theory we all should be deported..... right? We are on a public stage voicing our support one way of the other. I am anti-gov, I support the protests, so I should be deported like Satish along with all the TV members on the same side as me. Then once this government are out, all you lot on the other side should agree that you should be deported.

As a matter of fact, we all should be deported together, because we are voicing our political opinions in a country that has no patience or understanding for that.

Personally, I couldn't give a damn if I was deported, I would never step foot on this shore again, but I will continue to have my businesses run and every baht removed from this place as I can.

• Like 1

If George Orwell were here, he would doubtless be penning a new book. Thaksin's cousin clearly hasn't spoken to any Indian diplomat - for if he had - he certainly would have used that in support of his outlandish claim that he " believes " India would be alright with this, as " India is a democratic country " ! Surapong, get on the phone, and be prepared for an ear-full. And while you're at it, ask if they're still delighted with the election.

So there are now " 136 PDRC financial sponsors ". But in this new jet-set age of McCarthyism, it's not enough to merely distribute lists. This is being treated like the Academy Awards. We'll have to wait until Monday for the announcement of the winners.

You claim he is an "industrialist". Ok. Which industry. if you know he's an industrialist, please educate me and tell me which industries the man has invested in. What are these pies you refer to. Don't just throw out a claim, please give me something substantive. I have a good idea of what the man does, but you do not otherwise you would have been more specific.

So the Chamber of Commerce activity, is now just a hobby.? Are you aware that he was lobbying the then Democrat administration support him in his quest to promote Indian weddings in Thailand? Weddings are not a throw away, as they formed a corner stone of his business activities. My understanding is that the these Indian weddings would bring in Indians, where they would be greeted by Indian shuttle drivers, and taken to Indian owned properties to eat Indian food and to stay in facilities where the profits went into the pockets of Indians.

The man was the principal of the family controlled Sehgal Group. See if you come to the same conclusion that I did;

Advertising & Media Consultants Co., Ltd. (AMC) was formed in 1971 by Mr. Satish and Ravi Sehgal as a publishing house in Bangkok, Thailand. The company publishes LOOKEAST magazine, a monthly English language travel magazine with a circulation of over 20,000 copies. AMC also says it publishes the only available monthly flight schedule directory,called the Thailand Airline Timetable. It is supposedly available through subscription and from leading bookstores throughout the country. AMC also claims to publish annual directories, author’s books, coffee table books, yearbooks, catalogues, brochures, and similar items. The websites are www.lookeastmagazine.com and www.thailandairlinetmetable.com (I believe that Thailand Airline Timetable is not operational. In the west, we refer to these directories and mailings by other terms.)

Exclusive Properties Co., Ltd was formed in 1985 by Mr. Satish Sehgal, Mr. Ravi Sehgal, and Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a property management company. The company currently owns and manages properties in and around Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, and Pak Chong. (Would you like to see what these properties are? )

Thai Mailing Service (TMS) was formed in 1997 by Mr. Arthit Sehgal as a Print & Mail In Source & Out Source bureau services company specializing in high speed digital printing, high speed insertion, Direct Mail processing, letter shopping, SMS services, full system storage & parcel processing and mail room operations, digital data entry and onsite staff placement. TMS has recently invested in a Four Color Digital Inkjet Color system delivering digital variable color addressing on envelopes, postcards, and many other materials. www.tms.co.th (Know what this activity is typically called?)

Global Gourmet Systems Co., Ltd (GGS) was formed in 2004 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal. The company owns and operates Indus, a leading Indian restaurant and catering service in Sukhumvit Soi 26. The restaurant opened in December 2005. The website is www.indusbangkok.com

Global Travel Consultants Co., Ltd (GTC) was formed in 2008 by Mr. Siddharth Sehgal and Mr. Gaurav Sehgal. GTC is a travel agency located in Sukhumvit Soi 26 that provides the following services: Ticketing, Hotel Reservations, Sightseeing & Tours, Wedding Services, Conference Services, and Holiday Packages. The website is www.lookeasttravels.com (Ahh, so now we see why he was big on promoting the Indian wedding business and wanted that promotion that the Democrats undertook when they were in power.)

This is the great industrialist. He has a number of small businesses typical of hard working entrepreneurs. I haven't eaten in his Indian restaurant, so I don't know what it's like. However, I'm not a fan of Indian food in Thailand. It looks like he's a guy who runs travel junkets and capitalizing on the activity by having a stake in the places where the travelers stay, what they eat and the tours they take. Nothing wrong with that. He knows how to exploit a niche. However, to call him an industrialist, a builder of Thai society IMO is a stretch. I don't doubt his work ethic, nor denigrate his taking care of his family and making sure they all have employment in the family businesses. However, we have all seen these Indian travel shops in Thailand and know what they are and the market they cater to. Please do not dress up what the man does. I'm sorry, but he's basically a travel promoter targeting the Indian market, and nothing more.

Seems more to me that you are just jealous of the guy.

• Like 1

Gosh, the Times of India ran a congratulatory story on a Satish Sehgal in 2012. It seems He was in India had family living there.

By Jingo, this chap is a dead wringer for the subject of this thread, same age too.

post-46941-0-11188300-1391835583_thumb.j

But gee whiz, it can't be this guy can it, because the son is referring to all the family in India and according to the subject of this story, he's been all alone in Thailand since the age of 5, when he was practically cast adrift. I can't believe that the fellow would actually spend time in India and go there for his wedding anniversary. I mean, he'd want to stay in his homeland of Thailand, and celebrate with his family and Thai colleagues in Thailand right? Why have such an elaborate celebration in a foreign destination?

DAD'S THE WAY: "Since this was their golden wedding anniversary and tomorrow's Father's Day, so humne socha kuchh grand kara jaye," said the couple's son, Dinesh, adding, "We have relatives joining us from all over the country for the celebrations. People are in fact complimenting us ki aisi shaadi toh inki pehle bhi nahi hui thi."

I so don't want my faith in humanity destroyed. Please tell me that this is not the same man, even though they look identical. It has to be someone who had plastic surgery or something to look like him.

Seems more to me that you are just jealous of the guy.

Well, yes I could see you being jealous, but , no, not even a remote possibility in my case. I have nothing in common with a travel agency operator, and promoter of Indian weddings. I don't wish to be snobbish, but the chap is considerably lower on the social status hierarchy than I am. However, I do wish him all the best in his publicity/promotion and lobbying activities.

Sehgal Group Specialties: marketing, advertising, food and beverages, publishing, travel, event management, artist exchange and management, marketing consultancy, wedding planners, entertainment, theme parties and events, networking

What I really don't understand is that why this guy, who definitely is fluent in Thai, has been in the Kingdom for 50+ years, probably makes millions per month, and considers himself a Thai, hasn't applied for Thai citizenship?! Is it only me?

Elite Farang are free to protest.

A few Poor Farangs jailed and then deported by Suthep in 2010, for what crime? Appear on Red-shirt stage.

If this not double standard, what is this?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/07/09/politics/British-red-shirt-pleads-guilty-faces-deportation-30133404.html

I would not disagree with the double standards opinion at all and I wonder what made him think it was OK for a foreigner to be on the stage (or why he never applied for Thai nationality).

However, just want to draw attention to the fact that Satish is a permanent resident which I don't think was the case with the farangs deported for going on the red shirt stage. Legally, deporting a PR is more of a process and needs to be approved by the Immigration Commission. Actually there is no appeal to a court as oddly suggested by the DG of Immigration but Satish could file a suit in the civil court for something or other. Generally speaking a PR would not be deported unless convicted of a criminal offence with a recommendation for deportation after finishing the sentence by the court. I think that is what happened in the case of the other farangs even though they were only temporary residents. Exercise of extrajudicial power by the executive branch doesn't look good. Better to prosecute him and leave it to the court, SOE notwithstanding,

• Like 1

What I really don't understand is that why this guy, who definitely is fluent in Thai, has been in the Kingdom for 50+ years, probably makes millions per month, and considers himself a Thai, hasn't applied for Thai citizenship?! Is it only me?

Perhaps he saw the Thai citizenship as not being worth it? Or, perhaps he though that his longstanding relationship with Democrat party big wigs would serve him well and it wasn't necessary? Or maybe, he was denied. It is a good question, and my answer isn't being sarcastic. It is unfortunate, the BP or Nation reporters don't ask him this question. I have a feeling the answer may disappoint some of those sympathetic to his situation.

Your ignorance is overwhelming. There is a massive amount of trade between India and Thailand, especially in the manufacturing sector.

true, majority here on TV only knows about bars and beers and bgs...

india and thailand even signed free trade agreements...

• Like 1

Indians will feel like Indians their whole life. There are born into a cast which is of utmost import ants to them, here even with a lower cast the can become a big fish but it will never turn them into Thais. Look at the Indian Families after many Generation with or without a Thai Passport they still stay Indian, they marry Indian (. Did not see many interracial marriages), they still dressed like Indian. As we say it looks like Indian, it smells like Indian it talks like Indian may be it is an Indian.

The popularity with the common Thai is not very high I am sure many of you know the Thai saying about the rattlesnake ......

That Suthep is now making a big fuzz is only political motivated don't even think remotely that he cares!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

He's Indian, what's he doing being so.visibly involved in Thai domestic politics? Most things I read advise foreigners to keep out of such things. I know it wouldn't go over very well in the States if some rich foreigner was a member of a clique leading an effort to overthrow our elected federal government!

No you are wrong in America he would already have citizenship since everybody in his family are thai citizens he just got born in India because his parents were temporarily back in India but he grew up in Thailand i and is for all practical purpose an Indian Thai. He only lived in India untill 5 years old for god sakes. He made his life here in Thailand and hes taking care of his 90 years old mother here. On the other hand if he is a tycoon he could have a better life in India than in Thailand in my book maybe time to retire up in the himalayas with a helicopter in the back yard?

Interesting how they will not arrest a single authentic core leader but they go after the Indian guy just because he gave a speech at the protest. Blame it on the Jews blame it on the Indians same same.

Everybody knows that Thais hate Indians and call them Kak which is pretty close to the N word

They figure its safe to go after the Indian since ultimately nobody will complain from either side.

The monk too by the way another safe target

They should man up and arrest the real core leaders and then deal with the consequences.

How am I wrong? From the reports I have read, the man is an Indian citizen who resides in Thailand under an Indian passport. Therefore, in the eyes of Thai law, he is a resident foreigner. We are not talking about the US, in terms of his rights of residence in Thailand. I only made the comparison of if any foreign resident (or anyone for that matter) of the US was involved in a violent terroristic attempt to overthrow the US government he would be swiftly felt with. Thailand's legitimate elected government is only trying to do the same. Regarding his participation in sedition against his adopted country, I wrote that foreigners have been advised by their own governments to avoid such acts and the Thai government has advised foreigners not to associate with the anti-democracy activists. He chose to disregard these warnings, for whatever reason, and now finds himself in the position he is in.

He's lived here for 50 years and most of his family born here (well his siblings anyway). He's worked all his life in trade helping foster economic ties between Thailand and India (yes for his own benefit as well, I know, I'm not naive). Yet he still has no right to a point of view, no right to support change (no matter that the pdrc were not the grouping I'd choose to support), no say in what happens in the country he has genuine roots in.

This man is no tourist, not an ex pat worker, not a retiree, he should be seen as a productive citizen of this country as much as anyone else. Yet this is not the case. The insular mationalistic, xenophobic, intolerant road taken in this case is wrong.

Shameful behaviour.

Wrong again, The man in 50 years never thought he was Thai enough to become a citizen, your pathetic defense of him is, solely because he is a affluent yellow, he is no different then any other Farang in Thailand if he wanted to be a Thai he had 50 years to do it in, He chose not to.

Cheers

• Like 1

He's lived here for 50 years and most of his family born here (well his siblings anyway). He's worked all his life in trade helping foster economic ties between Thailand and India (yes for his own benefit as well, I know, I'm not naive). Yet he still has no right to a point of view, no right to support change (no matter that the pdrc were not the grouping I'd choose to support), no say in what happens in the country he has genuine roots in.

This man is no tourist, not an ex pat worker, not a retiree, he should be seen as a productive citizen of this country as much as anyone else. Yet this is not the case. The insular mationalistic, xenophobic, intolerant road taken in this case is wrong.

Shameful behaviour.

Wrong again, The man in 50 years never thought he was Thai enough to become a citizen, your pathetic defense of him is, solely because he is a affluent yellow, he is no different then any other Farang in Thailand if he wanted to be a Thai he had 50 years to do it in, He chose not to.

Cheers

Regardless of the fact that he is a foreigner who took a leading part in an insurrection and committed crimes, this case also shows how restrain the government is...

The police has proofs that he is a co-leader. They could arrest him and throw him in jail. But instead, they simply want to deport him. Very soft approach indeed -_-

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If George Orwell were here, he would doubtless be penning a new book. Thaksin's cousin clearly hasn't spoken to any Indian diplomat - for if he had - he certainly would have used that in support of his outlandish claim that he " believes " India would be alright with this, as " India is a democratic country " ! Surapong, get on the phone, and be prepared for an ear-full. And while you're at it, ask if they're still delighted with the election.

So there are now " 136 PDRC financial sponsors ". But in this new jet-set age of McCarthyism, it's not enough to merely distribute lists. This is being treated like the Academy Awards. We'll have to wait until Monday for the announcement of the winners.

Could you state which Indian diplomat enlightened you with that information?

Which ever way the ball bounces India "will not" back this man's illegal actions and harm it's relationship with Thailand, at most I can see a statement, "Please investigate the matter completely"

I believe he will be deported immediately and then his lawyer can file the appeal for him in Thailand!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

The leader of the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) Sondhi Limthongkul now come out openly to call on all yellow-shirt people to throw full support for protest leader Suthep Thuagsuban so as to achieve the national reform movement. Sondhi’s call was revealed by a PAD spokesperson Panthep Pongpuapand in his Facebook page today. Panthep said Sondhai posted on his Facebook the call for PAD supporters to join the demonstrations against the ruling Pheu Thai-led government at the Ministries of Finance and Foreign Affairs locations. He also urged all yellow-shirt people to protect the former Surat Thani MP Suthep who is now addressing demonstrators at the Ministry of Finance.

As reported

November 26, 2013 Thai PBS
  • Like 1

This Indian did not directly criticize the current Govt or express political preferences. He was raising his voice against corruption when he was on the stage.

Any of us with business connections in Thailand know the corruption rate has increased in recent years and since this Govt took over ... bribes etc are up across the board. Everyone knows this.

As the head of the Thai-Indian Business Association, raising this corruption issue is responsibility he has if he's going to do his job and help Thai-Indian businesses. His crime was he did it from the protesters stage. So the 3 stooges will throw the book at him because he is a foreigner and a "Khon Khek" but mainly because they are gutless and powerless to arrest or take any actions against any Thai individuals.

Khun Satish will challenge these idiots and they won't forget it.

• Like 1

Interesting contrast between an actual investor industrialist and Khun Sehgal

Mr. Kumar Mangalum Birla, Chairman of Aditya Birla Group, one of the biggest Indian investors in Thailand noted that the story of Birla group in Thailand begins in the 1960s and over the next three decades it has become a successful meritocratic clutch of companies in Thailand, particularly in an industrial sector of textile value chain, carbon black and chemicals. "Thailand is a great investment destination and we continue to scout for new opportunities to invest there and are a fully committed partner in the progress of Thailand", said Mr. Birla.

July 2013 comments at announcement of Thai BOI office opening in Mumbai

vs.

Take Satish Sehgal, one of the demonstrator’s 34 leaders, who is practically the definition of society’s extreme upper crust. He served for 18 years on the 12-person committee running the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, an organization so exclusive, even committee members can nominate just two people per year to join. He grows heated when he argues that outsiders simply don’t understand that democracy in the West has little in common with democracy in Thailand.“Anybody who has got, let’s say, $2-billion U.S. can literally buy this country,” he says. And no one but Mr. Thaksin can afford that, he says.

NATHAN VANDERKLIPPE BANGKOK — The Globe and Mail Published

Tuesday, Jan. 07 2014, 10

Interesting that the Globe and Mail described him as a protest leader in January. I wonder why?

The head of the chamber of commerce is not being deported. India has similar laws and regulations in place, and has deported people for less visible political activity.

The man is described as a "tycoon", as an "important" businessman. What exactly is his business in Thailand, aside from promoting Indian weddings?

Can anyone please explain how he is a tycoon? What is his importance to the Thai economy?

He's an industrialist with fingers in many pies and is also quite a big player in property.

You do realise that almost all of Sukhumvit from Ekkamai to Nana is owned by a handful of Indian clans?

He does Chamber of Commerce stuff as a part time job/hobby and the wedding reception idea was most likely just a throw-away idea during a meeting which he recalled for the benefit of the interviewing journalist.

Maybe someone wants to take over the properties mentioned above.

And to butter things up it might show some force to the Indians..................

Edited by hansnl

India does take things likely when specially when a tycoon such a as Mr. Seghal is deported. I can see perhaps many reprisals against Thailand and lets hope they don't become another item on the list of the current bad decisions being made by the current government.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

This Indian did not directly criticize the current Govt or express political preferences. He was raising his voice against corruption when he was on the stage.

Any of us with business connections in Thailand know the corruption rate has increased in recent years and since this Govt took over ... bribes etc are up across the board. Everyone knows this.

As the head of the Thai-Indian Business Association, raising this corruption issue is responsibility he has if he's going to do his job and help Thai-Indian businesses. His crime was he did it from the protesters stage. So the 3 stooges will throw the book at him because he is a foreigner and a "Khon Khek" but mainly because they are gutless and powerless to arrest or take any actions against any Thai individuals.

Khun Satish will challenge these idiots and they won't forget it.

Pre-Thaksin it was generally around 5-15% "tax" depending on the nature of the business / project.

After Thaksin's first election it was around 30% and up . . . sometimes even 50% (and it didn't go down during Abhisit's term either).

Edited by Trembly

I know all this. He is in reality not that important on a personal level. However, stating that deporting him won't have an effect is a very broad statement.

He knows a lot of people and does have pull with the Indian and summer parts of the thai power structure. Will be fun to watch.

• Like 1