Surapong believes deporting Indian businessman Satish Sehgal won't affect Thai-Indian relations

webfact

He's Indian, what's he doing being so.visibly involved in Thai domestic politics? Most things I read advise foreigners to keep out of such things. I know it wouldn't go over very well in the States if some rich foreigner was a member of a clique leading an effort to overthrow our elected federal government!

He's lived here for 50 years and most of his family born here (well his siblings anyway). He's worked all his life in trade helping foster economic ties between Thailand and India (yes for his own benefit as well, I know, I'm not naive). Yet he still has no right to a point of view, no right to support change (no matter that the pdrc were not the grouping I'd choose to support), no say in what happens in the country he has genuine roots in.

This man is no tourist, not an ex pat worker, not a retiree, he should be seen as a productive citizen of this country as much as anyone else. Yet this is not the case. The insular mationalistic, xenophobic, intolerant road taken in this case is wrong.

Shameful behaviour.

Wrong again, The man in 50 years never thought he was Thai enough to become a citizen, your pathetic defense of him is, solely because he is a affluent yellow, he is no different then any other Farang in Thailand if he wanted to be a Thai he had 50 years to do it in, He chose not to.

Cheers

Tired of having to put you right on this point so often, but here we go. As usual you are wrong. PAD (the yellows) are not pdrc, two different groups. Try to keep up.

I have no time for either group, PAD with it's rabid nationalism was essentially a fascist grouping as is suthep's council and large elements of the UDD. They are similar in their intolerance for any view but their own, but their views are all centred around the fact their elite is right and others are wrong. There may well be ex PAD involved in the current protests but PAD is not behind this movement no matter how much the conspiracy theorists claim they are.

I, unlike you, don't care who is on power. PT, Dems or whoever is not something I care about. All I'd like to see is a govt that rules for the benefit of the country not their bank balance or their criminal leaders. But I guess my lenses are prescription and allow me to see, whereas yours have a tint to them.

If you had bothered to read my post and all the news reports about this man he is not the same as ex-pats, tourists and retires in Thailand. Read them, you may learn something (hopefully).

As for calling my post pathetic, well name calling and pitiful insults are the basis for many a weak argument. Your posts tend to be littered with both.

Respond to this if you wish, but don't expect a reply from me.

Pad?? and you want me to keep up, sonny that was in 2010, I am posting about 2014.

I read your post, I do not find anything "Special" about this guy, He as a non-Thai does not have any more right to remain in Thailand then me! The yellows defend him because he is same-same as them, he is alleged to have led the take over of the Department of Civil Aviation, he is alleged to be a co-leader of PDRC, He is alleged to have made speeches that encouraged protester's to break the law.

"I state alleged because he has not been proven guilty as yet, so I state alleged"

If you have read any of my post, I have stated who ever wins in the national election i will live by the"will of the majority of Thai voters" If the Dem's won (an) election, I would be saddened but that's how a Democracy works, the majority rules and we must live by the "Rule of Law"

The law in Thailand that requires Foreigners not to engage in acts that effect national security, The NHRC states that any resident of Thailand has under the constitution the "Right to express political views as long as it is peaceful"

I read your post, which I disagree with, I read your explanation as to your opinion of who PDRC is, which I disagree with. I read your attempts at face saving, which I totally disagree with!

Whether you respond or not to my post is immaterial to me, but I will not allow your self serving statements to go unchallenged!

Cheers

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kikoman

Said I wouldn't respond but I guess I just didn't take account of how annoying your nonsense can be.

You, you, accused this guy if being a yellow. I was pointing out to you that PAD are the yellows! I thought I explained simply but clearly it was too complex an explanation. He was at a pdrc rally not PAD. They are not the same. They are different.

I read the rest of your post, full of half truths and misdirection. And you call me self serving!

Don't call me sonny.

Edited by Bluespunk

"The CMPO chief advisor said that he is certain the deportation will not affect the two countries' relations, for the Thai and Indian prime ministers maintain good relations and India is a democratic country."

Sure, and YS and PTP demonstrate once more what a prime democracy Thailand is. Threaten everybody who participates in demonstrations or supports the demondstrators and if they happen to have no Thai ID, even if living here for 60+ years, just throw them out of the country.

Congratulations, Ms. YS, By now I have lost any slim hope I might have had that you could to at least some degree have been independant of your brother and might have the best of the country in your mind.

It is all about staying in power or getting the other side out of it in order to make your own nest and then continue the same ld story of politics in Thailand.

1.Serve yourself

2. Serve your family, friends and other cronies.

3. Don't bother doing anything of real value for the people of Thailand and definitely never ever try to implement AND enforce fundamental reforms that could change Thailand for the better. It is enough to make them believe that you care for them and then instead do whatever you think best to further entrench your grip on power and take as much money out as you can.

He's Indian, what's he doing being so.visibly involved in Thai domestic politics? Most things I read advise foreigners to keep out of such things. I know it wouldn't go over very well in the States if some rich foreigner was a member of a clique leading an effort to overthrow our elected federal government!

I guess there are some differences:

1. You obviously follow the government in announcing that there is no demonstration against the government and their corrupt practices going on, but that they are all insurrectionists. Sure, if that is the case then you cannot see anything wrong with deporting the guy.

2. How about your country run by a corrupt clique like the TS clan, piece by piece dismantling the balances and checks that are there to make sure that ruling parties (however big the majority might be) cannot just do whatever they want and abuse their power. If that would happen in the US, I am sure there will be lots of demonstrations and I do not believe that the Government would deport any foreigner they find sympathising with the demonstrators.

3. A functioning and mature democracy does not have to be afraid of criticism, whether it comes from their own citizens or from foreigners. And I can tell you that at least in Germany no foreigner can get deported without due legal process and definitely not for voicing their opinion and supporting a group that happens to demonstrate against the government. Freedom of speech is an important part of a functioning democracy, which of course we do not have here.

The way PTP is handling the current situation is much worse as in 2010. They show that they do not want a real and functioning democracy here in Thailand, they are threatening any opposition as if run by a dictator.

• Like 1

Some of these yellow shirt protesters think they are invincible. They cowardly hide behind the Thai flag and other props, to prop up their spaceball beliefs while they go around thinking they have a free pass and can literally get away with murder (and many have already).

Satish however, doesn't quite qualify for the free pass being a foreigner. Funny, he says he is Thai, why does this dumb ass have such little knowledge of Thai culture ?

Moonao,

enlighten us about your special knowledge of this guy. What do you know about his knowledge of Thai culture? He grew up here and probably has been living and working here much longer than you. And on another issue, the demonstrators are not hiding, they are out in the open and get attacked for that. So, who gets away with murder?

How about us all trying to forget this black and white shit. I for one do admit that the democrats ( I am not even talking about ST) are almost as useless as PTP and I do not try to argue why they should nevertheless get into power. It cannot work anymore to keep PTP in power or change to the Democrats, unless a very different approach will be taken.

Currently it is only about getting the majority vote and then to do whatever those in power, their families and cronies want in order to further enrich themselves. Once you have the majority, do not bother any longer about anything, because you can call it democracy, even if there are no longer any checks and balances and any freedom of speech. Nobody cries out, if those are missing or not functioning anymore. All are only talking about how many percent of voters voted for the ruling party, as if that would be all it takes to be a democracy.

Yes, he has been foolish given the uncertainty over his status but there should be some common sense and fairness applied in his case. I don't agree with his views and behaviour but the punishment exceeds the crime IMHO

What is the uncertainty of his status? He is an Indian national, not Thai.

I do not know why he never bothered to apply for a Thai Passport, probably because he would have to give up his Indian citizenship in that case. Still, freedom of speech is part of democracy and the way PTP and YS are dealing with this case just shows that democracy means to them only majority vote and nothing else. That is at best a banana republic democracy. A mature democracy can deal with criticism and opposition and will also accept that foreigners can support demonstrators and opposition with peaceful and legal means, without having to fear being thrown out of the country.

BTW, you know that there are hill tribe people here in Thailand that do not get Thai IDs? And they have never lived in any other country, they are living here for centuries, but still.

This is an attempt to stifle opposition and it is a sign of the real face of YS and the PTP, which is not a democratic one.

I guess some day it may happen that farangs posting their opinion here on Thaivisa will be threatened with deportation, at least those who do not show their full support to PTP.

• Like 2

What I really don't understand is that why this guy, who definitely is fluent in Thai, has been in the Kingdom for 50+ years, probably makes millions per month, and considers himself a Thai, hasn't applied for Thai citizenship?! Is it only me?

Perhaps he saw the Thai citizenship as not being worth it? Or, perhaps he though that his longstanding relationship with Democrat party big wigs would serve him well and it wasn't necessary? Or maybe, he was denied. It is a good question, and my answer isn't being sarcastic. It is unfortunate, the BP or Nation reporters don't ask him this question. I have a feeling the answer may disappoint some of those sympathetic to his situation.

Maybe he realises that as an Indian national with PR he will not be more accepted by Thais, so accepts that there was little point in trying to get a Thai passport.

As a British citizen who has lived more than half of my life outside the UK I sympathise. I am British and changing my passport wouldn't change the attitude of others towards me or give me other benefits, so I don't bother. Fortunately I live in a democratic country where my right of residence can only be challenged if I am tried and found guilty of serious crime, something that the CMPO clowns have failed to do in Satish Sehgal's case.

This man is guilty of proclaiming his support for the monarchy and speaking out against corruption. If that's a serious crime then Thailand and more obviously the (care)taker government have serious problems claiming to be democratic.

@kikoman

Said I wouldn't respond but I guess I just didn't take account of how annoying your nonsense can be.

You, you, accused this guy if being a yellow. I was pointing out to you that PAD are the yellows! I thought I explained simply but clearly it was too complex an explanation. He was at a pdrc rally not PAD. They are not the same. They are different.

I read the rest of your post, full of half truths and misdirection. And you call me self serving!

Don't call me sonny.

You perceive your statement are not annoying, You need to think again.

The nonsense you are attempting to address only places on display how clueless you are of what is transpiring in Thailand now!

Your attempts to paint an angelic portrait of that foreign fascist, as a peace loving person that just happened to stubble and fall on the stage with Suthep (papa yellow), might be entertaining if it was not such a serious violation of the non-immigrant status to continue to remain in Thailand, An issue he should have seriously considered before violating them. (as someone already stated the government is being lenient with him by not arresting him and making him stand trial for his actions)

He may be an angel to you but I do not believe the immigration authorities would hold him in the same awe that you do!

He committed the crime, now he has to do the time!

Cheers

Elite Farang are free to protest.

A few Poor Farangs jailed and then deported by Suthep in 2010, for what crime? Appear on Red-shirt stage.

If this not double standard, what is this?

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2010/07/09/politics/British-red-shirt-pleads-guilty-faces-deportation-30133404.html

Suriya4,

unless inciting hatred or calling for violent action, freedom of speech in a mature democracy also applies to foreigners. And by the way, freedom of speech is part of a functioning democracy, while threats (for example to those financing the demonstrations, etc.) and deportation are rather the acts of authoritarian rulers, who fear opposition and freedom of speech more than many other things.

What YS and PTP are doing here is just proof that they do not really care about democracy and democratic values, but just about staying in power. Everything that helps is then by definition "democratic" or democratically sanctioned, because " we were elected by the majority".

This applies to PTP and in my opinion as well to the Democrats, if those foreigners were indeed deported just because of voicing their opinion and support for the Red Shirts.

Regardless of the fact that he is a foreigner who took a leading part in an insurrection and committed crimes, this case also shows how restrain the government is...

The police has proofs that he is a co-leader. They could arrest him and throw him in jail. But instead, they simply want to deport him. Very soft approach indeed sleep.png

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"The police has proofs that he is a co-leader"

I find that very interesting, as I had thought he only spoke out anti-corruption & pro the revered Head-of-State, do you have a source for your claim, please ? wai2.gif

I agree that, as a foreigner, he should not have spoken on the stage of a political-rally. He has now been publicly reproved for doing so, but actually to carry out the threat might provoke a reaction and affect trade between the two countries, is that really in Thailand's interests ?

Just look at the way India has responded, to the recent perceived-harassment of one of their people at the U.N., it was reported to be widely resented.

I'd have thought that the caretaker-FM might have been advised, by his ministry civil-servants, to take a more diplomatic view of the case, and hope that he may yet do so. Reconciliation being the current policy of his caretaker-government, and the clear message already having been sent by CMPO, to non-Thais ?

Another interesting legal angle that could be raised at some point is that the Nationality Act technically provides for Thais who have naturalised as aliens to have their Thai nationality revoked. This has never been done under the current 1965 law AFAIK but I don't think foreigners have ever been summarily deported under an Emergency Decree either. Even tho the law is slightly ambiguous on this point, I am surprised that no one has ever seized on this as a stick that could be used to beat Thaksin in the same way as Abhisit's British nationality was used against him. In the case of Thais who are born with another nationality like Abhisit there is not even an ambiguous clause suggesting their Thai nationality could be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, he has been foolish given the uncertainty over his status but there should be some common sense and fairness applied in his case. I don't agree with his views and behaviour but the punishment exceeds the crime IMHO

I do not know why he never bothered to apply for a Thai Passport, probably because he would have to give up his Indian citizenship in that case. Still, freedom of speech is part of democracy and the way PTP and YS are dealing with this case just shows that democracy means to them only majority vote and nothing else. That is at best a banana republic democracy. A mature democracy can deal with criticism and opposition and will also accept that foreigners can support demonstrators and opposition with peaceful and legal means, without having to fear being thrown out of the country.

BTW, you know that there are hill tribe people here in Thailand that do not get Thai IDs? And they have never lived in any other country, they are living here for centuries, but still.

This is an attempt to stifle opposition and it is a sign of the real face of YS and the PTP, which is not a democratic one.

I guess some day it may happen that farangs posting their opinion here on Thaivisa will be threatened with deportation, at least those who do not show their full support to PTP.

You must have missed the article in this morning paper, " The EC is threatening lawsuits over loan block claims," They are agitated over posts on the internet that holds them responsible for blocking a loan to pay the rice farmers by stating "will ask police to take legal action against people spreading rumors on the internet for allegedly violating The Computer Crime Law".

I realize since the EC is doing it against pro government supporters it would be OK with the majority of yellow protest supporters! I know that in your spirit of fairness, you would be willing to include the EC in your comments about Thailand's Democracy, and it's PM and caretaker government party!

Pro government supporters today, Farangs tomorrow!

Cheers

No you are wrong in America he would already have citizenship since everybody in his family are thai citizens he just got born in India because his parents were temporarily back in India but he grew up in Thailand i and is for all practical purpose an Indian Thai. He only lived in India untill 5 years old for god sakes. He made his life here in Thailand and hes taking care of his 90 years old mother here. On the other hand if he is a tycoon he could have a better life in India than in Thailand in my book maybe time to retire up in the himalayas with a helicopter in the back yard?

Interesting how they will not arrest a single authentic core leader but they go after the Indian guy just because he gave a speech at the protest. Blame it on the Jews blame it on the Indians same same.

Everybody knows that Thais hate Indians and call them Kak which is pretty close to the N word

They figure its safe to go after the Indian since ultimately nobody will complain from either side.

The monk too by the way another safe target

They should man up and arrest the real core leaders and then deal with the consequences.

How am I wrong? From the reports I have read, the man is an Indian citizen who resides in Thailand under an Indian passport. Therefore, in the eyes of Thai law, he is a resident foreigner. We are not talking about the US, in terms of his rights of residence in Thailand. I only made the comparison of if any foreign resident (or anyone for that matter) of the US was involved in a violent terroristic attempt to overthrow the US government he would be swiftly felt with. Thailand's legitimate elected government is only trying to do the same. Regarding his participation in sedition against his adopted country, I wrote that foreigners have been advised by their own governments to avoid such acts and the Thai government has advised foreigners not to associate with the anti-democracy activists. He chose to disregard these warnings, for whatever reason, and now finds himself in the position he is in.

Are you on drugs or are there any other problems giving you hallucinations?

"I only made the comparison of if any foreign resident (or anyone for that matter) of the US was involved in a violent terroristic attempt to overthrow the US government he would be swiftly felt with. Thailand's legitimate elected government is only trying to do the same."

Enlighten me about the "violent terrorist attempts" that seem to have taken place in Thailand without me noticing it. I saw some of those back in 2010 (ASEAN Summit crashed, violent physical attacks on Abhisit and others, throwing grenades and shooting at police while they were still not enforcing anything at all, etc.). And of course all those calls to burn down Thailand if the then government would try to remove the demonstrators after months of violence and blocking BKK. There are still the videos available showing members of the current government calling to burn the country (pao, pao, pao) from red shirt stages. But except for some arsonists in the provinces, the leaders calling for it are free.

In any case, to deport this guy is a blatant show how little democracy means in Thailand. Freedom of speech obviously is only allowed if it favors PTP or TS.

What violent terrorist attacks have taken place here????

Edited by ineu

Regardless of the fact that he is a foreigner who took a leading part in an insurrection and committed crimes, this case also shows how restrain the government is...

The police has proofs that he is a co-leader. They could arrest him and throw him in jail. But instead, they simply want to deport him. Very soft approach indeed sleep.png

I find that very interesting, as I had thought he only spoke out anti-corruption & pro the revered Head-of-State, do you have a source for your claim, please ? wai2.gif

I agree that, as a foreigner, he should not have spoken on the stage of a political-rally. He has now been publicly reproved for doing so, but actually to carry out the threat might provoke a reaction and affect trade between the two countries, is that really in Thailand's interests ?

Just look at the way India has responded, to the recent perceived-harassment of one of their people at the U.N., it was reported to be widely resented.

I'd have thought that the caretaker-FM might have been advised, by his ministry civil-servants, to take a more diplomatic view of the case, and hope that he may yet do so. Reconciliation being the current policy of his caretaker-government, and the clear message already having been sent by CMPO, to non-Thais ?

In this morning paper was stated that the police had clear evidence that he was a co-leader of PDRC, that he made speeches encouraging protesters to break the law. and that he led the take over of several state offices, including the Department of Civil Aviation.

Cheers

• Like 1

In this morning paper was stated that the police had clear evidence that he was a co-leader of PDRC, that he made speeches encouraging protesters to break the law. and that he led the take over of several state offices, including the Department of Civil Aviation.

Cheers

Thanks, leading parades would be well out-of-order for a foreigner, IMO. wai2.gif

And the RTPF would be a slightly-more-credible source, than the DSI or CMPO, in the current climate.

You must have missed the article in this morning paper, " The EC is threatening lawsuits over loan block claims," They are agitated over posts on the internet that holds them responsible for blocking a loan to pay the rice farmers by stating "will ask police to take legal action against people spreading rumors on the internet for allegedly violating The Computer Crime Law".

I realize since the EC is doing it against pro government supporters it would be OK with the majority of yellow protest supporters! I know that in your spirit of fairness, you would be willing to include the EC in your comments about Thailand's Democracy, and it's PM and caretaker government party!

Pro government supporters today, Farangs tomorrow!

Cheers

Honestly, I don't understand why you are posting this in reply to my post. I did read the article and it seems to me that some PTP members are trying to shift the blame for the problems paying the rice farmers from the government to the EC, which might also serve to punish the EC as they do not appear to fully support the government in every move the want to make. I indeed agree with the EC to make clear that it is NOT their fault, especially as it might endanger the lives of the EC members if people get very upset and decide to punish them with violence and therefore it is justified for the EC to take legal action. As you should know violent action has very recently been taken against several PDRC leaders or supporters, both at the rally stages as well as their homes, but I guess you would blame that on the yellow shirts?

The EC does not threaten anybody with punishment without a proper legal process or even jail or immediate deportation. You are comparing apples with car tires or you are too confused to see that these things are indeed very different.

I am saying that this deportation threats are actually threats to democracy, because they threaten people to voice their opinion publicly. Freedom of speech is an important part of a functioning democracy. As far as I have read I do not see that there is any proof that he was violent in any way or that he called for violence or even hatred. Therefore, in no functioning democracy would one be deported without proper legal process and court procedures, only in Banana Republics does this happen. And if this is going to be thee way now how the government is dealing with freedom of speech, then indeed it may not be very far to also trouble other foreigners, for example those who post messages here that are in opposition to PTP and YS or TS.

@kikoman

Don't call me sonny.

The nonsense you are attempting to address only places on display how clueless you are of what is transpiring in Thailand now!

Your attempts to paint an angelic portrait of that foreign fascist, as a peace loving person that just happened to stubble and fall on the stage with Suthep (papa yellow), might be entertaining if it was not such a serious violation of the non-immigrant status to continue to remain in Thailand, An issue he should have seriously considered before violating them. (as someone already stated the government is being lenient with him by not arresting him and making him stand trial for his actions)

He may be an angel to you but I do not believe the immigration authorities would hold him in the same awe that you do!

Cheers

Oh dear, freedom of speech is a crime for you. I don't hold this man in awe, I don't care about his views to be honest. If he is a friend of suthep then I'd probably dislike him.

All that is irrelevant. He spoke his mind and that is what PT (and apparently you if your final sentence is an indication of your "thinking") are unable to tolerate.

Being lenient? Destroying a mans life for thinking the wrong thoughts? Don't think so.

Foreign fascist? Papa yellow? Jeez!!

Edited by Bluespunk

Cheers

Please provide the clear evidence, or do you believe the police every time they say they know who did it, or who is behind whatever? This is one of the stupid messages the BIB and politicians love here in Thailand. We know who is behind it and unless they surrender we will go against them....

Making speeches is not a crime as far as I know, at least not in a democracy and you seem to be so convinced that Thailand under PTP is a functioning democracy, just because they hold elections. Did he encourage protesters to break the law? Again, evidence, not just repeating what those who want to deport this man are saying about him, unless they produce the evidence.

Leading others to take over state offices? Again, evidence, do you just believe everything the bulldog of TS says and takes it as proof: The Nation: "Yet Satish joined the PDRC movement and became a leader. He went on stage and incited people to violate the law." Tarit alleged that Satish had led protesters to besiege several government offices and even surrounded the Civil Aviation Department after the state of emergency was announced.

I admit my information is only from BP, The Nation and TV, but I try not to pretend that those sources are any proof whatsoever, because unfortunately also the quality and standard of journalism in Thailand is rather low.

Bangkok Post: The CMPO accused Mr Sehgal, who joined the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) rallies, of defying the state of emergency (how was that possible if it is true that he stopped his participation when the Emergency Decree was imposed). It was also reported he joined (not led) the blockade at the Civil Aviation...

He led the protesters in Silom, who probably were the business people demonstrating, and I fail to see why it is a crime worth of deportation to voice one's opinion publicly together with others? Unless we are not living in a democracy, of course.

• Like 1

The gov't stated that foreigners involved in the demonstrations could face deportation.

He is a foreigner and he was involved in the demonstrations.

Now he faces the consequences.

Oh then, bravo to PTP and YS for (i) upholding democratic principles including freedom of speech and the right to demonstrate peacefully and (ii) by proving how much and how hard they work on reconciliation.

India does take things likely when specially when a tycoon such a as Mr. Seghal is deported. I can see perhaps many reprisals against Thailand and lets hope they don't become another item on the list of the current bad decisions being made by the current government.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

He is not a tycoon. owning a travel agency and a marketing firm that caters to a specific niche, does not make one a tycoon.

Do you honestly believe that there would be reprisals against Thailand because of this deportation? India has removed ethnic Indian activists from its country, so I expect that the Indian government would be understanding of the issues involved. In respect to other large Indian investors, I doubt it will have any impact because they are above the fray and do not get involved in local politics. If and when they do, they use surrogates. Besides, within the Indian social class system, this chap occupies the social strata of the shopkeeper and service provider. That's not a swipe, but a pragmatic appreciation of the Indian social hierarchy. Would it impact the Indian wedding business? Doubt it. Indians will go where the best price is offered, and someone else will move in to service his Indian wedding market niche.

On the PR front, it will harden perceptions. Those opposed to the government will have another reason to oppose it. However, on the home front, it plays to the locals who are incensed at the involvement of "foreigners" in this dispute. Keep in mind that the PDRC has been pounding the war drums claiming foreigners were involved, providing scenarios of Cambodian mercenaries. The government says, ok, yes, there are foreigners, but they are PDRC affiliates and pulls out the Sehgal case to illustrate its point. Ouch. Talk about being up by ones own britches.

As a lobbyist it was part of the job to get close to politicians and to make sure he went to social activities, to be seen socializing with the powerful. Well, now it comes to back to bite him on his posterior. He made his living cosying up to the Bangkok political class. It was a decent living while it lasted. His business websites are now offline and he now lives in fear. The stress of this event will surely take a few years off his life. It sends a chilling message to those foreigners working on behalf of the PDRC and that's part of the goal.

The gov't stated that foreigners involved in the demonstrations could face deportation.

Oh then, bravo to PTP and YS for (i) upholding democratic principles including freedom of speech and the right to demonstrate peacefully and (ii) by proving how much and how hard they work on reconciliation.

He wasn't just protesting. He was one of the 34 core organizers. Big difference.

He wasn't just protesting. He was one of the 34 core organizers. Big difference.

And where did you get this from??

@kikoman

Don't call me sonny.

Cheers

Oh dear, freedom of speech is a crime for you. I don't hold this man in awe, I don't care about his views to be honest. If he is a friend of suthep then I'd probably dislike him.

All that is irrelevant. He spoke his mind and that is what PT (and apparently you if your final sentence is an indication of your "thinking") are unable to tolerate.

Being lenient? Destroying a mans life for thinking the wrong thoughts? Don't think so.

Foreign fascist? Papa yellow? Jeez!!

Stupidity is a crime to me!

He has been in the country long enough to understand the laws of the land, He chose to ignore them, the Thai constitution gives all resident the "right to express political views as long as they are peaceful"

What he was alleged to have done was beyond the freedom of speech, (1)- a co-leader of PDRC. (2)- He made speeches that encouraged protesters to break the law. (3)- He led the take over of the Department of Civil Aviation among other state offices!

To you those may be the actions of an angel..

Do not attempt to project onto me your short comings,

Cheers

Cheers

Please provide the clear evidence, or do you believe the police every time they say they know who did it, or who is behind whatever? This is one of the stupid messages the BIB and politicians love here in Thailand. We know who is behind it and unless they surrender we will go against them....

Making speeches is not a crime as far as I know, at least not in a democracy and you seem to be so convinced that Thailand under PTP is a functioning democracy, just because they hold elections. Did he encourage protesters to break the law? Again, evidence, not just repeating what those who want to deport this man are saying about him, unless they produce the evidence.

Leading others to take over state offices? Again, evidence, do you just believe everything the bulldog of TS says and takes it as proof: The Nation: "Yet Satish joined the PDRC movement and became a leader. He went on stage and incited people to violate the law." Tarit alleged that Satish had led protesters to besiege several government offices and even surrounded the Civil Aviation Department after the state of emergency was announced.

I admit my information is only from BP, The Nation and TV, but I try not to pretend that those sources are any proof whatsoever, because unfortunately also the quality and standard of journalism in Thailand is rather low.

Bangkok Post: The CMPO accused Mr Sehgal, who joined the People's Democratic Reform Committee's (PDRC) rallies, of defying the state of emergency (how was that possible if it is true that he stopped his participation when the Emergency Decree was imposed). It was also reported he joined (not led) the blockade at the Civil Aviation...

He led the protesters in Silom, who probably were the business people demonstrating, and I fail to see why it is a crime worth of deportation to voice one's opinion publicly together with others? Unless we are not living in a democracy, of course.

Why not believe that the policeman that was attacked and badly beaten on tape, he was working undercover taking pictures of the actions of the demonstrators, most likely the leaders!

The article stated the police had clear evidence that he was a co-leader PDRC and gave speeches that encouraged protesters to break the law and that he led the takeover of several state offices including the Department of Civil Aviation!

"Under the currently-imposed Emergency Decree, the care taker Prime minister or her representative could order a foreigner's deportation under reasonable circumstances

if he/she plays a part of instigating emergency situation.".

Simply states all that is needed is reasonable circumstances, to be deported and also he has a right to appeal that action, Not clear if he was first deported!

you will find the clear evidence you seek in the same place you found the clear evidence of your quote that he (stopped his part in the protest after the E. decree was imposed!) I believe that was in the same article, why would you cherry pick only the parts of the article you agree with!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman