THAI assures no shutdown Monday

webfact

Ignoring many of the irrelevant and sexist comments about the cabin staff, it is certainly true that Thai are looking far more drab than they did say 20 or more years ago. Whilst buying / leasing the new A-380 might not have been the best decision, they must start to think about changing their present outdated fleet and yes, improve the quality of their in-flight meals. I was certainly disappointed on my last flight with them 6 months ago.

My Suggested changes:-

1- I don't mind the older stewardesses as long as they do their job well. Usually the seniority gets the stewardesses to Business and First Class where they work is less hectic. Most of the economy stewardesses on TG are usually young and attractive enough for eye candy status. Ditto for the counter & gate staff ... as long as they do their job. However I have increasing numbers of issues with the gate staff and the usual unnecessary chaos boarding planes under their direction.

2- Definitely improve quality of food on the planes.

3- Definitely replace the tired old planes especially those with insufficient overhead luggage space and seats that will not stay upright.

4- Stop giving freebies to the PuuYais and KhunYings at the expense of your paying passengers (i.e. bumping paying first class passengers back to bus class .... and bumping paying bus class back to economy).

5- Give an upgrade every once in a while to your frequent flyers and best customers instead of upgrading your friends and relatives.

6- In the Bus Class and First Class lounges ... have more healthy food choices. Too many high sugar/high carb dishes. Figure out how to prepare Thai food (i.e. Kaeng & tandorie chicken & Tomkaakai) in large quantities that does give heart-burn to those eating it.

6- Bring prices down to levels in comparable regional airlines.

Ignoring many of the irrelevant and sexist comments about the cabin staff, it is certainly true that Thai are looking far more drab than they did say 20 or more years ago. Whilst buying / leasing the new A-380 might not have been the best decision, they must start to think about changing their present outdated fleet and yes, improve the quality of their in-flight meals. I was certainly disappointed on my last flight with them 6 months ago.

And, what about having some modern in-flight entertainment in the seats on their long-haul flights. Not many people want to watch an overhead shared CRT type screen with old-@ss movies like we're in school buses from the 80s. Absolutely ridiculous that they think it's acceptable. 12 hour and longer flights with an overhead shared TV that can't even be seen easily. It's a nightmare.

• Like 1

My Suggested changes:-

1- I don't mind the older stewardesses as long as they do their job well. Usually the seniority gets the stewardesses to Business and First Class where they work is less hectic. Most of the economy stewardesses on TG are usually young and attractive enough for eye candy status. Ditto for the counter & gate staff ... as long as they do their job. However I have increasing numbers of issues with the gate staff and the usual unnecessary chaos boarding planes under their direction.

2- Definitely improve quality of food on the planes.

3- Definitely replace the tired old planes especially those with insufficient overhead luggage space and seats that will not stay upright.

4- Stop giving freebies to the PuuYais and KhunYings at the expense of your paying passengers (i.e. bumping paying first class passengers back to bus class .... and bumping paying bus class back to economy).

5- Give an upgrade every once in a while to your frequent flyers and best customers instead of upgrading your friends and relatives.

6- In the Bus Class and First Class lounges ... have more healthy food choices. Too many high sugar/high carb dishes. Figure out how to prepare Thai food (i.e. Kaeng & tandorie chicken & Tomkaakai) in large quantities that does give heart-burn to those eating it.

6- Bring prices down to levels in comparable regional airlines.

Seems like all but improving the food go directly against Thai culture. Upgrade our paying passengers rather than our closest circle of friends, family, bosses, etc.? That is not Thai culture.

However, they do care about food and we all know the Thais can do food really well. So, I might have faith they can turn out some good food - even if they just contract 7-11 (aka CP) to provide all the food.

One side says one thing the other the opposite

I'll wager that one side will have been proved to wrong.

Someone will lose face

Everyone will pay more subsidy for this free service to VIPs

Just shut it

Union will loss face, not President.

Thai airways, like most things in Thailand is totally messed up and needs a fulll overhaul from the ground up, and like most other things probably won't until its hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. good and proper and then it'll blame something or someone else for its failing.

Exactly. Amazing how many things the country gets wrong, existing in its own bubble, a permanent state of exception where none of the world's knowledge and best practice makes it into the Thai, old-style workplace. Unless force, of course, which is what you're saying. Eventually they have no choice when everything starts falling apart. Call in the farangs and other foreigners (Japanese, etc.) to quietly fix everything. And then pretend that it was an all Thai effort.

Clowns really.

• Like 2

A friend of mine is an extreme high miler due to business. He recently told the story of getting an upgrade one time after 8 years with THAI. That was the last time he flew with them. Flying with Cathay, he almost always gets upgraded, plus many other benefits.

I've only ever flown with THAI due to code sharing on Star Alliance. Otherwise, THAI's absurdly overpriced fares mean it will never get my business.

And last, on topic, I couldn't imagine a year ago any Thai labour union going on strike. These days, with rice farmers and others staging mass protests, it just might happen.

• Like 2

The A340-500 planes were bought with only two routes in mind. BKK-LAX and BKK-NYC. When they purchased the planes the price of fuel was much lower than it is today. These planes- along with the B-777-200LR- are now not efficient to operate. I flew the BKK-LAX route in business class once and it was almost 18 hours of flight time which, even in business class with more legroom, was a torture. Thai will do well to unload these planes ASAP as there is no market for that type of long haul plane. A Saudi money sheikh made a bid for one of the A340-500 planes but Thai management didn't want to take the book loss on the sale so it now sits at DMK in a hangar with use only by government big wigs on overseas flights.

Until Thai gets a more business minded attitude it will continue on its spiral into a loser airline. Price of flights, an attitude of entitlement and poor service will doom its market share and make it a second class carrier similar to many of the legacy carriers in the US.

THAI: NO “Shutdown TG” on 10 Feb

BANGKOK, 9 February 2014 (NNT) - National carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) has dismissed the rumors that it will cancel all flights this 10 February, confirming that it will provide normal service to all customers on that day.

THAI sent a message via the LINE messaging application, saying the 10 February flight cancellation or “Shutdown TG” was untrue. The airline also explained that its recent flight reductions were due to the off-peak travel season.

Passengers can check flight schedules, book flights, buy tickets and check-in on www.thaiairways.com, www.thaismileair.com, the application THAI Flight Check or THAI Contact Center 02 356 1111.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-ZeqzANMpW.web
-- NNT 2014-02-09

Thai airways, like most things in Thailand is totally messed up and needs a fulll overhaul from the ground up, and like most other things probably won't until its hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. good and proper and then it'll blame something or someone else for its failing.

Exactly. Amazing how many things the country gets wrong, existing in its own bubble, a permanent state of exception where none of the world's knowledge and best practice makes it into the Thai, old-style workplace. Unless force, of course, which is what you're saying. Eventually they have no choice when everything starts falling apart. Call in the farangs and other foreigners (Japanese, etc.) to quietly fix everything. And then pretend that it was an all Thai effort.

Clowns really.

Exactly, they arnt strangers to having standards forced on them, case in point is the BS 5750 and other British standards or EU standards imposed in order to do trade or be considered as a partner in almost everything coming to the EU or around the world. This forced the standard to be raised and you can see it all over company advertising boards in the bottom right corner like a badge of honour lol

Unfortunately they dont seem to have the self discipline to demand it of their own unless someone makes them before they make money. I can only hope that it is the fear of becoming broke that will change things, it seems to be the only thing people here care about anymore.

• Like 1

"Acting" president Chokchai.... sure, he is acting all right.... I wish he would stop acting and do his job!

It is scary to know that some might go on strike and not work. Does that include maintenance engineers?! On second thought, I guess that means it will be normal day for TG.

I'd like to offer up some "constructive" criticism for TG to upgrade their airlines. Please let me invite others to add comments, as we are all trying to improve our National Carrier!

1. Improve the food - the food in business class and especially economy is disgusting. It is cold, rubbery, and all taste the same. The wine selections are good, but it's like I'm having a cocktail on my TG flights because I only drink and I can hardly eat the food.

2. Get rid of your air hostesses - they used to remind me of my aunts, now they remind me of my grand mother. Really, is it necessary to have some fat, ugly sourpuss who thinks she is entitled serving me? Get these smug, useless women off the plane and replace them with some gorgeous, polite, English speaking young Thai women. I am tired of trying of asking for water in broken English. This is 2014 not 1976.

3. More new planes - the old ones look like something out of Pirates of the Carribean. Old, dirty, smelly, things broken, toilet looks like it is from Isaan.

4. Nicer ground staff - girls hired at TG have "connections." Therefore the most important criteria - "service mind" is optional. Fire impatient, incompetent staff... there are some good ones, but there are some awful ones who think because they wear the TG uniform, they can act like pigs.

5. Change your purple color and your logo - again, get into the 21st century. Your color and logo look like something out of a 1950s movie.

6. Better frequent flyer program - current one entitles everyone to have privileges. Business class lounges worse than waiting at the gate.

7. Business class lounges - the food, the service, God awful... go look at SQ and Cathay to see how it should be done.

I agree with BlackMirage. I have been a Thai Air Gold member for almost 10 years now an have been happy with choosing Thai. However the last 2-3 years things have declined on all aspects, to a degree where i dont even feel safe to travel with Thai airways anymore. ON the service side - of course there are people that give a good service still but my feeling is that the overall atmosphere is bad. It seems that that staff is not happy - just a feeling.

FYI, maybe best to check on your flight if departing today. There are several cancellations showing currently for today, Monday, 10 Feb.:

TG 403 SIN

TG 461 MEL

TG 2576

TG 321

TG 48 KKC

TG 407 SIN

TG 2112 CNX

TG 2140 CEI

TG 237 HDY

TG 2935

TG 2124 CNX

TG 325

TG 329

TG 313

TG 483

TG 473

The A340-500 planes were bought with only two routes in mind. BKK-LAX and BKK-NYC. When they purchased the planes the price of fuel was much lower than it is today. These planes- along with the B-777-200LR- are now not efficient to operate. I flew the BKK-LAX route in business class once and it was almost 18 hours of flight time which, even in business class with more legroom, was a torture. Thai will do well to unload these planes ASAP as there is no market for that type of long haul plane. A Saudi money sheikh made a bid for one of the A340-500 planes but Thai management didn't want to take the book loss on the sale so it now sits at DMK in a hangar with use only by government big wigs on overseas flights.

Until Thai gets a more business minded attitude it will continue on its spiral into a loser airline. Price of flights, an attitude of entitlement and poor service will doom its market share and make it a second class carrier similar to many of the legacy carriers in the US.

The problem is not with an 18-hour flight - the problem is that TG's Business Class cabins are not up to scratch.

I've flown SQ from SIN-LAX-SIN non-stop on their Biz class - huge flat beds with plenty of space length and breadth, large personal screens, hundreds of personal Videos on Demand that you can pause & rewind - both latest films and classic TV shows, loads of games, fine wines & numerous meal choices, large toilets, electrical plugs and USB ports, comfy pillows and blankets, noise-cancelling headphones.

Ideal for resting, playing and working.

18 hours non-stop no problem with SQ, easily the best way to travel between the 2 continents (and I've traveled in Biz class between Asia & the US with UA, NW, Delta, TG, ANA).

FYI, maybe best to check on your flight if departing today. There are several cancellations showing currently for today, Monday, 10 Feb.:

TG 403 SIN

TG 461 MEL

TG 2576

TG 321

TG 48 KKC

TG 407 SIN

TG 2112 CNX

TG 2140 CEI

TG 237 HDY

TG 2935

TG 2124 CNX

TG 325

TG 329

TG 313

TG 483

TG 473

So at least the TG cancellation department is working.

• Like 1

TG 403 SIN

TG 461 MEL

TG 2576

TG 321

TG 48 KKC

TG 407 SIN

TG 2112 CNX

TG 2140 CEI

TG 237 HDY

TG 2935

TG 2124 CNX

TG 325

TG 329

TG 313

TG 483

TG 473

Good advice. I for one have a Thursday flight to Hong Kong and am following the latest information. I appreciate the listing of cancellations but fear it may not be giving me an accurate picture of any effect of a slowdown or strike. For example, I think TG 2576 may not be scheduled for Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays. Flight tracker shows it hasn't actually flown Monday thru Thursday the last 2 weeks. Edited by mikeSilom

A friend of mine is an extreme high miler due to business. He recently told the story of getting an upgrade one time after 8 years with THAI. That was the last time he flew with them. Flying with Cathay, he almost always gets upgraded, plus many other benefits.

I've only ever flown with THAI due to code sharing on Star Alliance. Otherwise, THAI's absurdly overpriced fares mean it will never get my business.

And last, on topic, I couldn't imagine a year ago any Thai labour union going on strike. These days, with rice farmers and others staging mass protests, it just might happen.

I've been a TG Gold member since the late 90's ... 2 years after they launched the ROP program. I can only remember being upgraded once on a flight from Jakarta to Bkk ... and that was only because they had overbooked economy. However I've been bumped down from FC and also from Bus about 6 times ... bumped by non-paying Phuyai & kungyings.

I've been a TG Gold member since the late 90's ... 2 years after they launched the ROP program. I can only remember being upgraded once on a flight from Jakarta to Bkk ... and that was only because they had overbooked economy. However I've been bumped down from FC and also from Bus about 6 times ... bumped by non-paying Phuyai & kungyings.

LOL. This is exactly what my friend thought was the reason for his upgrade. But if I got bumped down, I'd switch airlines.