Firefox 26 - anyone else having problems?

schondie

I'm running Firefox 26 on my PC and have noticed it runs quite slowly for some reason. A couple of weeks ago I reformatted my Linux Mint as I thought it may have something to do with Mint.

To cut a long story short; whatever I've tried has made no difference. Disabled all the add-ons, cleaned out the cache, updated all the plug ins and removed themes etc.

I have exactly the same set up on my laptop without seeing any lag or jerky scrolling movements. Both are running Xubuntu with FF 26, I copied my PC profile over the the laptop and that works well.

The wife has reported the same problems on her work laptop running Win 7 and her home laptop isn't having these problems.

Anyone else experiencing these things?

SOLVED! I was trying to deduce why my laptop Firefox was running fine but my PC Firefox wasn't, then it hit me. It turned out that I needed to update my Nvidia drivers on my PC. My laptop has an Nvidia card but I don't use it, I only use the Intel one as I don't play games on the laptop.

Maybe this will work for Win 7 computers also, update the graphic card drivers and see if that fixes the issue with Firefox 26, and as RKASA suggested. update Java and maybe all the other plug ins and add ons.

I'll post back regarding Win 7 Firefox 26 as I'm about to check out my wife's laptop for a solution.

Edited by schondie

After checking the drivers and running Windows Update I found out my wife runs Firefox 27 in Sandboxie, I updated everything including Sandboxie and now it seems to be running faster that earlier.

I hope this helps others out.

Thanks for that tip. I had noticed that FF was crashing whilst running Firebug REGULARLY. Shall force update to 27.

-- EDIT --

It knows! I just went to About and it started to update ;)

Edited by draftvader

am using FF 27 and i just started to get the meesage " torrent is invalid bencoding on my movie torrents which I never had before - tried the same same DLed form Opera and no problem... hmm just started a few days ago - will have to figure out what the prob is... but my main browser is Opera...

noikrit, on 09 Feb 2014 - 10:55, said:

Mine slow too .... Windows 7 .. About 4 days now ..... Would also appreciate any thoughts .... Thanks ...

Your problem may not be win 7 or firefox.. I'm using win 7 and IE 11, in the last few days, many international sites have firstly loaded slowly, yesterday, some were so slow they were unusable, today, those same sites do not load...

I stopped using Firefox a couple years ago. It was too slow and buggy. I use Chrome now, it's much better and never crashes. I actually like the fact that Chrome synchronizes everything between PCs. I travel a lot and it's good to log into Chrome from any computer in the world and get all my settings, bookmarks from my home PC.

• Like 1

i mostly was using Chrome, switched to FF when i discovered how easy their Anonymox plugin made it possible to have a US or UK ip.

then 2 days ago, updated to 27 and BAM... FF is freezing often (particularly in "private" mode) and making a mess out of grabbing

torrents... so back to Chrome... might just uninstall FF completely and do a clean install...see if that clears things up

• Like 1

Abominably slow for me too (Windows), which is why I have now abandoned firefox.

i stopped up grading at firefox 21 Plus i love Alexa which does not work on the updates

i use Tor when i want stay under the radar but that is slower on the average (but an added bonus is i can access Silk road forums) :-)

Edited by phuketrichard

Firefox may or may not be the best. Personally, I found it to be slower than Chrome and IE, but not by much. These Jan 12 thru Jan 13 worldwide PC browser stats show Firefox and IE usage continues to trend slowly downward and Chrome continues to trend slowly upwards.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-ww-monthly-201301-201401

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Agree with that. I'm using 7, occasionally check out both Firefox and IE to see if they might be faster than chrome and they never are.

I was ready to switch entirely to Chrome, but when I download photos, Chrome does not remember the last directory I used - whereas Firefox does. Firefox has a problem with java and will not play Pandora. It also will not let me use a great screen capture program called FireShot. Therefore, I use both.

By the way, I want to to use RealPlayer to download videos. Can't seem to do it in either Chrome or FF. Any solutions or workarounds? I really don't like IE...

Edited by risky11

My Firefox 27 (Win 7) had been very slow for the past few weeks. It would start fine, but after while, everything would slow down, even using the scroll bar. It also seemed to be interacting with something here at ThaiVisa because I would only notice the problem after having the forums open in tab for a while ... I suspected that FF was getting caught up in some sort of script run by the ads/page banners. Anyway, FF updated itself to 28 yesterday. So far so good... fingers crossed.

I thought the problem of jerky scrolling and other assorted glitches were the fault of Firefox but now I'm more inclined to think it may have more to do with the plug ins, add ons and drivers.

It seems as if people who are having problems are switching to Chrome or IE but there's little love for Opera here. Fast, stable and the standard download manager is far faster than the standard Firefox one.

For Firefox, DownThemAll is a superb downloader.

I was ready to switch entirely to Chrome, but when I download photos, Chrome does not remember the last directory I used - whereas Firefox does. Firefox has a problem with java and will not play Pandora. It also will not let me use a great screen capture program called FireShot. Therefore, I use both.

By the way, I want to to use RealPlayer to download videos. Can't seem to do it in either Chrome or FF. Any solutions or workarounds? I really don't like IE...

I use YouTube Video Downloader which is free and works well for me and there is also a paid version which has more features.

http://www.ytddownloader.com/

I use YouTube Video Downloader which is free and works well for me and there is also a paid version which has more features.

http://www.ytddownloader.com/

I don't know if YouTube Video Downloader can also download from other sites so I use Flashgot integrated with DownThemAll.