Facing deportation, Sehgal ends political role

Lite Beer

Facing deportation, Sehgal ends political role
The Sunday Nation

30226428-01_big.gif

Satish Sehgal

BANGKOK: -- Thai Business Forum chairman Satish Sehgal said yesterday that he would end his political activities after the government's Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order issued an order to deport him from the country on grounds that he had led protesters to besiege state premises.

Satish proclaimed his innocence, saying he had never taken the role of a leader of the anti-government protest and had never taken to the rally stages. He said he had only carried out political activities to protect the country and its institutions.

The CMPO has alleged that Satish had led protesters to besiege several government offices and even surrounded the Civil Aviation Department after the state of emergency was announced.

Satish called on the National Human Rights Commission on Friday to help him fight the expulsion order.

"Whatever the outcome of my case, I insist I will not leave Thailand because this is my dearest home,'' he said.

The businessman took pictures with People's Democratic Reform Committee protesters at the Saladaeng rally base and said the PDRC leaders and protesters understood his intention to cease his political activities.

Meanwhile, Department of Special Investigation chief Tarit Pengdith said the DSI would reveal tomorrow the names of 58 suspects believed to have financed the PDRC protest.

He said that about 30 of them had contributed a million or more. He said the DSI had looked into financial transactions and activities right from the start of the rally or before emergency was imposed. He reasoned that with this financial support, the PDRC has been able to continue its rally, forcing the government to impose a state of emergency.

Tarit said he has assigned DSI deputy chief Pol Lt-Colonel Wannapong Kotcharak to check both people and jurisdictions that have financed the PDRC.

He said the officials in the panel to check suspected financial transactions would include Anti Money Laundering Office (AMLO) chief Pol Colonel Sihanart Prayoonrat, representatives from the police force, the Revenue Department and the Office of the Narcotics Control Board.

He said authorities would use the CMPO's power and the emergency decree and not the money laundering law to launch investigations into financial transactions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-09

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

What service...some rupee a day group-tour agencies and a flight guide?
  • Like 1

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.
Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

I know it's complicated but try to follow these myriad news reports as best you can...my post was in response to the portion of the article stating that the DSI would be naming and investigating the financial supporters of the PRDC. I thought that was pretty clear...nothing to do with the Indian citizen.

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.

But it's ok to support people who tried to burn Bkk to the ground and to a party who regard the law as what ever they deem it to be.

Both sides have a lot to answer for but I presume you can only see one side.

You forgot the part about it being a non-elected government (I.e., illigitamate) that was installed by a military junta that overthrew an elected government. So not really the same things IMO.

• Like 1

Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

Then Thailand is not a democratic country because congregations of more than 2 people in public is illegal.

• Like 1

According to reports elsewhere Sehgal has permanent residency what ever that means in terms of the law.

He was born in India and came to Thailand with his parents when he was 5 years old.

The report I read was not clear but it sounded like at least one of his parents was Thai.

He would not have wanted to give up his Indian passport in light of the work he was doing with the Thai Govt and I read that India does not allow duel citizenship if this is correct he would never have applied for a Thai passport.

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

What service...some rupee a day group-tour agencies and a flight guide?

If You really don't know you shouldn't be posting.

He has acted as an advisor to 6 Thai Governments and led many Thai trade and Government delegations to India among other things.

What, so you're telling me he's responsible for all the Indian sex-tourists I see in Pattaya? Such advice and trade Thailand can do without!

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

The problem with Thai politics, in fact so many things here, is the absolute belief in being right and no give or take.

I cannot change or influence things since I cannot vote but I do keep an eye on politics etc. because of the potential to affect my own life and if it wasn't so serious I would find politics here hysterical.

I believe I read that he never applied for Thai citizenship, but the rest of his family had as they were born in Thailand.

I think it would be a far harder process to deport him if he had citizenship.

• Like 1

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

The problem with Thai politics, in fact so many things here, is the absolute belief in being right and no give or take.

I cannot change or influence things since I cannot vote but I do keep an eye on politics etc. because of the potential to affect my own life and if it wasn't so serious I would find politics here hysterical.

That is really how one had to view it...a live Comedy Central channel.

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line i

Try impossible.
  • Like 2

I believe I read that he never applied for Thai citizenship, but the rest of his family had as they were born in Thailand.

Thanks for that.

In all that's been said by officialdom I can't remember a definitive statement on his nationality but am happy to be corrected.

Perhaps these people can claim that they did not support the PDRC. That in fact all they did was to donate money to help feed all the people on the streets be they protesters or passerbyers. This surely can not be a crime. Even if the money was given directly to Suthep anyone can claim that his organization concerning the feeding of the people was their reasoning to donate money. Hmmm!

I do not think the CMPO would have a hard argument to this.

Did they give the money to help the PDRC and the protest or did they give the money to help feed the hungry people on the streets?

I dont think it would be criminal since the PDRC did not give free food to ONLY protesters. Anybody could get free food. Even foreigners there were partaking.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No he's not. If he was he would be screaming about it, citizens of a country cannot be deported from their own country. If deportation was attempted, where would they be deported to?