Facing deportation, Sehgal ends political role

Lite Beer

This fella? Pity him, he was under the intimidation, manipulation and maneuvering of the old elite power. They were situations that the old elite power can use against him.

Send from my Mobile

Those who have been here a while understand the term.....''Double Edged Sword''. One to take on board especially in LOS.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Satish proclaimed his innocence, saying he had never taken the role of a leader of the anti-government protest and had never taken to the rally stages. He said he had only carried out political activities to protect the country and its institutions."

Well he's obviously a fine upstanding Bangkok Citizen and should be forgiven for any trespasses for that very reason whistling.gif , but he's pretty damn economical with the truth when it suits him. Just 4 days ago

But Satish questioned the alleged charges saying although he joined the protest stage of the PDRC several times, he never touched on political issues but economical and business issues

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702235-deportation-threat-indian-business-chairman-satish-to-seek-justice-from-thai-court/

I hope all his supporters fly to New Dehli to welcome him home.

I am afraid this guy may be in for a big shot. Thailand does not have much compassion for ethnic Indians. I am pretty sure they will throw him under the bus in a heart beat.

Edited by Credo

Silom people rally in support of Satis Sehgal

BANGKOK: -- A group of Silom businessmen and residents showed up briefly in front of the Indian Embassy this morning (Sunday) to give moral support to president of Indian-Thai Business men Association Satis Sehgal who is facing deportation from the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO).

The rally group which was led by Mrs Sriwala Issara, chairwoman of the Charn Issara Corportation, also submitted a letter addressed to the Indian ambassador asking for fair treatment for Mr Sehgal.

Mr Sehgal, an Indian businessman who had lived in Thailand since his childhood earlier sought asylum at the Indian embassy using his status as the trade representative.

CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrung has declared Mr Sehgal persona non grata and ordered him deported for violating the Emergency Decree for his involvement with the protest movement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-09

I think they are lobbying the wrong people.

Sriwalla Isaara?

Is she Indian?

Who cares? She's HiSo, a real estate tycoon who had a friend in the PR business (don'cha know) come up with this oh so revealing slogan for the rallies; (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/uk-thailand-protests-idUKBRE9BC0ZI20131213)

"Moral righteousness comes above democracy".

You couldn't make it up.

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Chalerm now knows he has made a huge cock up with this one but still he keeps digging the hole deeper with his mouth.

If he had half a brain he would come out with something like :

We have reviewed this case and in light of the service Khun Sehgal has rendered to Thailand in the past we have decided to rescind the deportation order, however should he ever carry out any other activity against the SOE we will be forced to reconsider.

This would make Chalerm look less stupid but then again.........................................

Really? Would you please share with me what service this man has undertaken on behalf of Thailand. Usually, when one refers to service it includes charitable or social service activity. Did the man create an educational foundation? How about participation in the construction or refurbishment of a hospital? You know, something like that. Promoting his travel agency and Indian weddings in Thailand business hardly qualifies as "service to his country". I wonder if he even performed his military service? I could understand if he had volunteered for service.

Initially, the man denied having any political activity in respect to the illegal seizure of buildings and blockades. Then as pictures came out, the story changed. He was quite pleased to describe himself as one of the organizers of the PDRC activities when he was interviewed as part of a lengthy article in the foreign print media. He provided his reasons for participating, one nugget which included his view that westerners did not understand democracy and how it works/should work in Thailand.

Another one who hasn't got the faintest idea.

If you are going to post on this man then the least you can do check what he has done and not just repeat red drivel .

Once again :

He has acted as an advisor to 6 Thai Governments and led many Thai trade and Government delegations to India, among other things.

That is Governments back to Chuan Leepai and even Thaksins Governments.

Why don't you go check on what he has done yourself then perhaps you could inform the other red ranters so you will all know.

• Like 2

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

A thoughtful post with some very good points.

But in the end, two wrongs don't make a right. By all accounts, this man has given considerable service to this country and IMO has earned the moral (if not legal) right to have a voice, equal to that of a native citizen.

• Like 1

Kick him out, deport him, like many other foreigners have been deported before...............

Its not one rule for some and another for others.

Kick him out !!

All in my opinion of course.

Like this guy, and a few others kick out by Suthep himself:

• Like 1

You forgot the part about it being a non-elected government (I.e., illigitamate) that was installed by a military junta that overthrew an elected government. So not really the same things IMO.

Yes, when any body politic has had their democracy snatched away by a military junta, who then install an unelected civilian puppet government, then yes, violence, can be justified to return to the status quo ante. Unfortunately, not all revolutions can be as smooth as velvet...I seem to recall some violence, probably including arson too, that established democracy in my country around 1776.

Except this is not true.

Coup was in 2006

Elections held 2007, won by PTP precursor PPP

Subsequently PPP was disbanded by the constitutional court for electoral fraud in 2008, leading to dems in power.

So dems we're not placed by military coup. Judicial one 2 years later, perhaps, debatably.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Silom people rally in support of Satis Sehgal

BANGKOK: -- A group of Silom businessmen and residents showed up briefly in front of the Indian Embassy this morning (Sunday) to give moral support to president of Indian-Thai Business men Association Satis Sehgal who is facing deportation from the Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO).

The rally group which was led by Mrs Sriwala Issara, chairwoman of the Charn Issara Corportation, also submitted a letter addressed to the Indian ambassador asking for fair treatment for Mr Sehgal.

Mr Sehgal, an Indian businessman who had lived in Thailand since his childhood earlier sought asylum at the Indian embassy using his status as the trade representative.

CMPO director Chalerm Yubamrung has declared Mr Sehgal persona non grata and ordered him deported for violating the Emergency Decree for his involvement with the protest movement.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silom-people-rally-support-satis-sehgal

thaipbs_logo.jpg

-- Thai PBS 2014-02-09

I think they are lobbying the wrong people.

Sriwalla Isaara?

Is she Indian?

Who cares? She's HiSo, a real estate tycoon who had a friend in the PR business (don'cha know) come up with this oh so revealing slogan for the rallies; (http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/13/uk-thailand-protests-idUKBRE9BC0ZI20131213)

"Moral righteousness comes above democracy".

You couldn't make it up.

Married money. I know about this bloke a little bit. Not saying too much, but I have met this type of bangkokian far too often.

They really have some bizarre views with a horrendous feeling of entitlement. They definitely aren't into changing anything if it means there is any possibility that they won't stay at the top of the tree.

They are part of the problem and are not likely to come up with the solution.

• Like 2

Every time I read about this man the story seems to change albeit slightly so the bottom line is does anyone know if he actually is a Thai citizen ?

Meanwhile over at DSI Tarit must be in seventh heaven with a press conference to announce backers of the protests will be named but probably not shamed.

Great situation, it's ok to give financial support to PTP and the reds but support anti-government movements and feel the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master.

Yep, just like the named blacklisted red shirt backers felt the wrath of Tarit answering the call from his master in 2010. Satish is being deported, according to exactly the same rules as Connor Purcell was subject to in 2010. If you support the rule of law being applied equally then I guess you have to accept this Satish business. However, I disagree with it. Like I said before, it's petty and won't achieve anything. And despite the fact I disagree with his political views, it's a real shame that he faces having to leave the country he's lived in for 50 years leaving behind his elderly mother. He's only a minor leader too, not like he's crucial to the movement or anything.

However, all Connor Purcell did in 2010 was speak on a stage twice. He didn't fund a movement (in fact at the time he was relying on handouts from red shirts and friends IIRC) nor did he lead any protesters anywhere. That's a lot less involvement than Satish has had, yet was enough to get him 3 months of jail and a deportation.

It's not unexpected that many red shirts now are supporting what they opposed in 2010 (deportations, the emergency decree, blacklisting of funders, crackdown) and those who were very much for those things in 2010 are dead against them now. How typically human. We are partial by nature, I guess... it's very difficult not to apply different standards based on our political views, yet I admire those who've taken a consistent line based on abstract principle regardless of who specifically is being subjected to these measures.

A thoughtful post with some very good points.

But in the end, two wrongs don't make a right. By all accounts, this man has given considerable service to this country and IMO has earned the moral (if not legal) right to have a voice, equal to that of a native citizen.

Miles away from reality. Making moral judgements about who gets into trouble is ridiculous. There are thousands of farangs who do wonderful things for thailand every day.

I saved the life of two and have paid to educate 4. Does that get me qualification to complain?

Kick him out, deport him, like many other foreigners have been deported before...............

Kick him out !!

If Sehgal had behaved like this chump, Chalerm's move would be understandable.

As he hasn't it leaves Chalerm looking like a vindictive clown. Nothing new there at least.

You forgot the part about it being a non-elected government (I.e., illigitamate) that was installed by a military junta that overthrew an elected government. So not really the same things IMO.

Yes, when any body politic has had their democracy snatched away by a military junta, who then install an unelected civilian puppet government, then yes, violence, can be justified to return to the status quo ante. Unfortunately, not all revolutions can be as smooth as velvet...I seem to recall some violence, probably including arson too, that established democracy in my country around 1776.

Except this is not true.

Coup was in 2006

Subsequently PPP was disbanded by the constitutional court for electoral fraud in 2008, leading to dems in power.

So dems we're not placed by military coup. Judicial one 2 years later, perhaps, debatably.

The Democrats are just the political front of the elite, same as the army are the military front. I don't see any distinction there.

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.
Evidence that he funded terrorists please.

Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

I know it's complicated but try to follow these myriad news reports as best you can...my post was in response to the portion of the article stating that the DSI would be naming and investigating the financial supporters of the PRDC. I thought that was pretty clear...nothing to do with the Indian citizen.

I think you are spot on. Thai Indian's never contribute much to Thai politics, except it's for their own benefits.

Sadly Satish Satish thought that Suthep had a chance in bring down this government so he went to expose himself by siding with the group from Suthep, Yellows or Democrats as his connections are with those roots.

He clearly lost this round and should stop wining and just go back to India and wait for the day the Democrats are back in power, also this might take a long time. Both association he is linked to TIBA and the Sehgal group have shut down their website as they clearly do not want to be associated with this guy any more and as always in Thailand if you are in a sinking ship no one is helping you including his own close family members.

I wish him all the best. He is an old men already and personally I think they should let him stay. I too was in that situation in the past and had problems with the ruling UMNO party in Malaysia, the PAP in Singapore and as well the Golka party in Indonesia. I was twice deported from Indonesia in the 80's and once from Singapore but this time I keep a low profile and stick to TV. Oh yes, I had to sign a document both in Singapore and Indonesia that I am not involved in any political activity and they let me in now of course as our company is registered in Singapore with a branch in Thailand.

• Like 1

Kick him out !!

If Sehgal had behaved like this chump, Chalerm's move would be understandable.

As he hasn't it leaves Chalerm looking like a vindictive clown. Nothing new there at least.

Why no comments on the Australian bloke deported? Is the same case as Sehgal.

• Like 1

Can anyone show me where it is illegal, hope some of you understand that word, to fund a protest rally. I fail to understand what the DSI is up to. If people funded a "terrorist" group, sure, charge them, but I have yet to see, any mention of, the protesters being, officially, declared terrorists. Until that happens then why is the DSI involved.

Seems to me DSI is a lame duck, certainly the way they failed to achieve anything in Phuket, would show how lame they are.

Edited by Rorri

Except this is not true.

Coup was in 2006

The Democrats are just the political front of the elite, same as the army are the military front. I don't see any distinction there.

Entitled to your opinion, but that's what it is and even if true it does not make the claim that Democrats came to power due to a military coup true.

The Democrats came to power in 2008 because the constitutional court found PPP guilty of election fraud in the election that occurred in 2007 after the 2006 coup.

His dearest home and yet he tries to undermine Thailands freedom.

kick him out never to return!

So what is it that the protesters that he sided with are doing?,.... also "undermining Thailand's freedom"?

The difference between this man and those he sided with is that he is not legally a Thai citizen,.. but apart from that there's no difference!

Yes providing financial support to antidemocratic movements using terroristic means to overthrow a duly elected government is generally illegal in most (all?) countries.

I don't support pdrc or the continuation of the protests after the election was called but to protest should not be a crime.

Anyone found guilty of violence from either side should be gaoled. Murder should not go unpunished.

"Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country."

So foreigners can come into your country, demonstrate against the government despite warnings against doing that and everyone would consider that their right? Nonsense. Give it a try in India.

1. Short title and extent.
(1) This Act may be called the Immigrants (Expulsion from Assam) Act, 1950 .
(2) It extends to the whole of India.
2. Power to order expulsion of certain immigrants. If the Central Government is of opinion that any person or class of persons, having been ordinarily resident in any place outside India, has or have. whether before or after the commencement of this Act, come into Assam and that the stay of such person or class of persons in Assam is detrimental to the interests of the general public of India or of any section thereof or of any Scheduled Tribe in Assam, the Central Government may by order--
(1) direct such person or class of persons to remove himself or themselves from India or Assam within such time and by such route as may be specified in the order; and
(2)give such further directions in regard to his or their removal from India or Assam as it may consider necessary or expedient;
Edited by Suradit69

"Exercising your right to protest is not a crime in a democratic country."

So foreigners can come into your country, demonstrate against the government despite warnings against doing that and everyone would consider that their right? Nonsense. Give it a try in India.

1. Short title and extent.

(1) This Act may be called the Immigrants (Expulsion from Assam) Act, 1950 .

(2) It extends to the whole of India.

2. Power to order expulsion of certain immigrants. If the Central Government is of opinion that any person or class of persons, having been ordinarily resident in any place outside India, has or have. whether before or after the commencement of this Act, come into Assam and that the stay of such person or class of persons in Assam is detrimental to the interests of the general public of India or of any section thereof or of any Scheduled Tribe in Assam, the Central Government may by order--

(1) direct such person or class of persons to remove himself or themselves from India or Assam within such time and by such route as may be specified in the order; and

(2)give such further directions in regard to his or their removal from India or Assam as it may consider necessary or expedient;

There are many many countries who do not allow foreigners to enter into a country to protest. But then there are reasons for everything.

If you go to the USA to protest against the WTO, and you don't break any laws of protest, they won't give two hoots. Thing is here in thailand non thais stand out like sore thumbs. Protesting to overthrow democracy would however get everyone foreign or not arrested for sedtion in most real democracies So not only would the foreigners get arrested , but the thais also. Here they are saying that basically, its ok for thais to break the law but non thais not.

By now, in most grown up countries the whole protest would have been broken up for public disorder and blocking public thoroughfares. But of course in thailand the needs of the important out weigh the rights of the normal man on the street. Hypocrisy reigns.

Next step luuk kreung entering politics. How will they handle that? To not deport this bloke would be a dastardly betrayal of the legal system.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

But thanks to Suthep, this is not a democratic country is it? They've stopped people from working and voting, so too bad for the Indian bloke. If he's lived here for 55 years and this is his country, how come he doesn't have a Thai passport?

But it's ok to support people who tried to burn Bkk to the ground and to a party who regard the law as what ever they deem it to be.

Both sides have a lot to answer for but I presume you can only see one side.

The Aussie and English foreigners who were involved in that rally were also deported, so it wasn't ok just because the guy is Indian who shouldn't be afforded better treatment than the English and aussie they are/were all foreigners.