We're not embarrassed about poll boycott, key Democrat says

Lite Beer

The Democrats had already rejected the idea of a Peoples Council.

So if they're against a 'peoples council' and they're against an elected government, who exactly do these nutters think should be running a country of 65 million people with a GDP equivalent to $1 billion every day? Sometimes it seems like the Democrats view is that 'yes, we're in favour of elections, but only if we're guaranteed to win', which renders them unfit to run a candy shop, never mind a whole country.

They're not against an elected government. They want reform first. And they've consistently said, it doesn't matter if we don't win, but we want reform.

There are only a few ways to achieve what they want. Politically, which is what they should know best, but they obviously no longer do, by force (coup, but not happening), or via Royal decree (no indication on this either). With the PTP receiving less votes, despite no competition, the Dem's could have put themselves in a position where people might have taken them seriously. In year's past, that was the case, but as a political party, what do they offer society now? Even if they aren't disbanded, you will see their stronger players (sans Abhisit), moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more embarrassing that a supposedly legitimate government is taking orders from a convicted fugitive on the lam who has murdered more than 2000 of his own people. Oh yeah definitely much more embarrassing. bah.gif

umm whats the war on drugs got to do with this topic ?

I know your upset with Thaksin, we get it. how about taking that whistle of yours, lock yourself in a small dark room for a few days, and whistle all that inner rage you have about Thaksin all out of your system ? smile.png then come back here and you should be ok to post again. remember.... on topic.... stay on topic............

All roads dear boy lead back to the Shinawatras and thus to the head Shinwatra. If you do not understand that, then that's on you.

And for you tell someone else to stay on topic is ironic and hypocritical. But that's not surprising coming from you.

All the energy that Suthep & Co put into dancing around the issue and doing political contortionism, if they put that energy into reforming the Dems into a more inclusive party with progressive reform policies that improve the lives of the poorest in society etc. they could campaign in an election and stand a fair chance. It amazes me that they don't try this legit route to power, especially now that PTP are reeling from the rice/amnesty problems. Sometimes you have to let go and move with the times, for the good of the nation. In any case, their pigheaded stubbornness is painful to behold, and the "my way or the highway" philosophy does not belong in the political sphere in the 21st century. They should re-brand their image and policies, and enter the electoral fray like everybody else does.

But that is far to sensible a strategy and outside of the box for Thai politicians who prefer to do the same thing over and over again, and guess what, always the same result.

If they ever did take this route it would also force the PTP and other parties to clean up their acts. But simply pure fantasy I guess.

It would take time and they arn't prepared to wait. im sure they could do it in say 2 elections time because by then PTP im sure would have imploded anyway.

Besides everyone here is on a timeline of ASAP to grab the power because no one has a clue exactly when the music will stop here, when it does this could all seem like just a walk in the park compared.

'when the music will stop' ...perfect decription. 'just a walk in the park compared' ...frightening what will happen when the time comes

At the same time, the Suthep Thaugsuban-led PDRC CAN claim that most people supported its stance; when less than 50% of Thailand came to vote, mean more than 50% supported Suthep.

Just because less than 50% voted does not mean they didnt vote because they support Suthep. Only an idiot would think this.

There are many reasons why people did not cast a vote or voted "no vote"

Many did not go for the simple reason that they lost faith in the electorial process. Others did not go for fears of violence or their voting location was closed. Others may have not gone simply because they did not want their vote or no vote to show support for YLs idea of her democracy. Yet still many thought the elections to be invalid and biased.

I refused to let my wife go because of how far it was and for the fear that if a crowd was there that accidentaly someone might hit her stomach and cause premature birth. But if she had gone she would have cast no vote.

In case you didnt notice, none of these reasons show support for either YL or Suthep.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"I refused to let my wife go ..... " by force I suppose? Your chain / rope / handcraft / bed post have not been strong enough, since she went anyway.

A lot to ask i know, but learn to read "But if she had gone she would have cast no vote." got it?

So if they're against a 'peoples council' and they're against an elected government, who exactly do these nutters think should be running a country of 65 million people with a GDP equivalent to $1 billion every day? Sometimes it seems like the Democrats view is that 'yes, we're in favour of elections, but only if we're guaranteed to win', which renders them unfit to run a candy shop, never mind a whole country.

They're not against an elected government. they want reform first. And they've consistently said, it doesn't matter if we don't win, but we want reform.

If they have rejected the idea why have they supported the PDRC by marching at the front and Abhisit and leek Pai standing on the stage at the start of the 'shutdown Bangkok' demonstartions. You are lying or they are.

'They want reform first' As they made no reforms during their recent 3 years in power that would suggest everything that needs reforming has come about in the last 30 months and not under their watch. What a load of <deleted>

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
  • Like 2

He also said voters had rejected the election, with 15 million refusing to vote, 3.4 million lodging "No vote" ballots and 2.4 million lodging invalid ballots.

They did not refuse to vote. There were MILLIONS of people prevented from voting by the PDRC / Democrats.

The "No Vote" votes don't mean that these people support the Democrats. We simply don't know because the "kids party" refused to participate in the elections.

And the "invalid ballots" ...well, if you don't know how to make an X.

• Like 2

"We have no need for power. So we would not deal with the caretaker government to share the power at the negotiating table … We will return to power after the reform," he said.

Interesting comment. Another way of saying that the reforms will / are to return the Dems to power?

• Like 2

Actually they did rather well for boycotting this joke of an election. Less than half of the population turned up for the election. Why would they give any legitimacy to this utterly corrupted bunch which is running the country now? Surely some people will have to pay for their mismanagement-rice scheme fraud, tablet scheme fraud and many others known and unknown illegal schemes which cost Thai tax payer dearly.

Anyway Democrats are not against the election, they were against this poorly thought and rushed election. I think they've proven their point. This government has neither legitimacy nor popular support.

This government has neither legitimacy nor popular support

If the Dems has legitimacy and popular support, why did they boycott the election?
  • Like 1

1. He was not embarrassed because he does not have a conscience and does not how to write the word shame.

2. But Chuti said: "They came out to vote to protect their political rights, not protect the system." Without political rights, there is no political system. The voters came out to protect the system which is their political rights.

3. 3.4 million lodging "No vote" ballots and 2.4 million lodging invalid ballots are irrelevant. What really matter is 47+% (as at the latest) came out to vote and many were criminally prevented to exercise their voting rights. The 'No vote' would be the dem's vote anyway.

4, Chuti refuted that, saying he believed the Democrats might not contest an election until there is genuine reform - even if independent agencies decide to hold a new election. --- Why then you petitioned for the invalidation of the election? What reform had the dem been talking all this while? None, only the word the 'reform'. What is genuine reform anyway? Only reform according to the dem?

5. "We have no need for power....." ----- why then you called yourself a political party?

6. "Chuti said the Democrats were participants of the PDRC protests, but not the leaders." ----- Why is it that the dems leaders were on stage speaking? Why their MPs resigned en masse to join street mobs' and thugs' protest?

7. "We would be prepared to clash with the PDRC if it tried to establish an unelected People's Council, he said." "We are a party that cannot fight illegally. We want to do it [bring about reform] based on our beliefs and we believe that Suthep probably understands us."
----- When was the last time the dem condemn the establishment of an unelected People's Council? When didn't they clash with the PDRC for demanding the establishment of an unelected People's Council?

Only untruthfulness came out of his mouth. No shame. oh yes, he does not has one.

• Like 2

If they have rejected the idea why have they supported the PDRC by marching at the front and Abhisit and leek Pai standing on the stage at the start of the 'shutdown Bangkok' demonstartions. You are lying or they are.

'They want reform first' As they made no reforms during their recent 3 years in power that would suggest everything that needs reforming has come about in the last 30 months and not under their watch. What a load of <deleted>

When have any Democrat party members marched?

They did make some reforms when they were in power, but being just part of a coalition, they didn't have enough support to make the changes that were needed.

They also put together a reform committee which tabled their report just prior to the 2011 election. A report that the PTP completely ignored.

"We have no need for power. So we would not deal with the caretaker government to share the power at the negotiating table … We will return to power after the reform," he said.

Interesting comment. Another way of saying that the reforms will / are to return the Dems to power?

They didn't say immediately after reform.

It's more embarrassing that a supposedly legitimate government is taking orders from a convicted fugitive on the lam who has murdered more than 2000 of his own people. Oh yeah definitely much more embarrassing. bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif

umm whats the war on drugs got to do with this topic ?

I know your upset with Thaksin, we get it. how about taking that whistle of yours, lock yourself in a small dark room for a few days, and whistle all that inner rage you have about Thaksin all out of your system ? xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.CwSpBGGvqN.png then come back here and you should be ok to post again. remember.... on topic.... stay on topic............

All roads dear boy lead back to the Shinawatras and thus to the head Shinwatra. If you do not understand that, then that's on you.

keep blowing that whistle, TVGerry, keep blowing that whistle rolleyes.gif

Yeah I won't tell you to keep on blowing whatever your job asks you to.

This poor group of losers led by a egotistical maniac should well be embarrassed. They have cost a lot of everyday people money in lost wages. They have made Thailand a laughing stock through World media and have not changed anything.

The so called Democrats who do not want an election (Is that democratic???) are a world wide joke.

• Like 2

They didn't say immediately after reform.

It's not the fact that they missed the word "immediately", it's the fact that they said that they "will return to power after the reform".

You can spin it all you want, the Democrats just confirmed what everyone already knew. No big deal.

• Like 2

At the same time, the Suthep Thaugsuban-led PDRC CAN claim that most people supported its stance; when less than 50% of Thailand came to vote, mean more than 50% supported Suthep.

That's a reach. I'm sure millions stayed away from the polls to save their hides from the likes of terrorists such as Suthep and his armed brigades.

• Like 2

All the energy that Suthep & Co put into dancing around the issue and doing political contortionism, if they put that energy into reforming the Dems into a more inclusive party with progressive reform policies that improve the lives of the poorest in society etc. they could campaign in an election and stand a fair chance. It amazes me that they don't try this legit route to power, especially now that PTP are reeling from the rice/amnesty problems. Sometimes you have to let go and move with the times, for the good of the nation. In any case, their pigheaded stubbornness is painful to behold, and the "my way or the highway" philosophy does not belong in the political sphere in the 21st century. They should re-brand their image and policies, and enter the electoral fray like everybody else does.

But that is far to sensible a strategy and outside of the box for Thai politicians who prefer to do the same thing over and over again, and guess what, always the same result.

If they ever did take this route it would also force the PTP and other parties to clean up their acts. But simply pure fantasy I guess.

It would take time and they arn't prepared to wait. im sure they could do it in say 2 elections time because by then PTP im sure would have imploded anyway.

Besides everyone here is on a timeline of ASAP to grab the power because no one has a clue exactly when the music will stop here, when it does this could all seem like just a walk in the park compared.

Absolutely correct. Nobody wants to be too far away from the chair.

Too bad the Democrats didn't participate in the election then. Looks like they would have won with a landslide.

On a serious note, does that also mean that whoever was blocked from voting by the PDRC, that their opinions automatically were converted to pro-Suthep?

Say I wanted to go vote for Puea Thai, then the election office was blocked by the PDRC, so I could not cast my vote ...that means my "no vote cast" was automatically counted as being pro-Suthep?

Or if I was sick at home, too scared to go vote because of the PDRC militia violence or simply do not care about politics at all, it meant that I was pro-Suthep?

You've got to be careful with your comments, because they might even seem too ridiculous for those sitting in a pile of yellow dough.

• Like 1

"We would be prepared to clash with the PDRC if it tried to establish an unelected People's Council, he said.

The DP is badly burned finally to have to say this specifically and remarkably clearly to Thais in Thailand and to the world abroad. The DP even brought in a new face in its obvious ongoing PR campaign to try to recover its complete fall from grace in Thailand and abroad.

From absolute democracy to absolute disaster and a frantic damage control operation.

A sad and sorry bunch which is a day late and a dollar short.

No sale.

The Democrats had already rejected the idea of a Peoples Council.

Of course, it would get in the way of fast tracking Abhisit to the premiership!

Edited by JAG

The problem with that post is the word "first". Who do you think should be doing the day to day running of a $1billion a day economy while everyone sits around a table chatting about 'reforms'?

IMHO the economy will run itself will run itself quite well without the input of ignorant and incompetent PTP ministers and their self-serving policies.

Do you think the Labour Ministry actually needs Chalerm, or that the Defence Ministry needs Yingluk's input. Camouflage chic is SO out of fashion!

Edited by JRSoul

Have not heard a word about how the PTP paid people to vote for them this time around. Did the people that voted for the PTP do so out of free will? That would sure blow a hole in the PDRC and Democrats going on about reform before elections. Exactly what do they want to reform? They are long on words and very short on specifics. Wish they would announce what reforms they would like to see. Might help the voters. I honestly wonder if they have any great ideas. Please could anyone enlighten me on exactly what the PDRC and/or the Democrats want in the way of reform other than the Shinawatras out of the game?

• Like 1

Wrong. It means that of the other 50% mant of those did not get a chance to vote because of suthep and his thugs stopping people from getting in to vote.