buying an air conditioner - advice please

sam sen

i've never bought an AV unit before...

i'm looking at buying and air conditioner for a small room - 9m/sq

have been to a couple of shops and have been recommended the Daikin, model FTKS09JV2S - its not a brand i am familiar with, anyone bought one?

i was told it has an 'inverter' that will save 40% on electric usage - is this true?

anything i should check about when buying and an conditioner?

any recommendations?

thanks

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daikin are a good brand and maybe the most quiet from my experience. Power usage seems to be very good compared to the LG in my daughter's room. During the hot season, my power bill goes up by about 500 baht a month, but when my daughter is here, it rises by another 700-800 baht.

• Like 1

Only Inverter type aircons will really offer any cost savings.

I just bought some Samsung Smart Inverter aircons that have been on offer lately, have a look for them..

They have Smart Inverter and virus Doctor logo's.. I paid about 15K for a 9000BTU and 18K for I think a 11000BTU (including Installation) at the MALL in KORAT (POWERMALL), they were also on offer in Homepro.

I just bought some Samsung Smart Inverter aircons that have been on offer lately, have a look for them..

They have Smart Inverter and virus Doctor logo's.. I paid about 15K for a 9000BTU and 18K for I think a 11000BTU (including Installation) at the MALL in KORAT (POWERMALL), they were also on offer in Homepro.

because you "just bought" you have your judgment must be based on quite some experience? coffee1.gif

an inverter aircon may or may not save on electricity. the often quoted savings of "up to 30%" can only be achieved under certain specific circumstances.

For that size room, you only need 7-9K BTU (which is the smallest available that I've seen) and those almost never come as inverter model. (b/c it just wouldn't make sense for that small a unit).

they are available and it makes sense for the manufacturer to charge 50% more.

Getting a correctly sized unit will save more money than anything. An undersized inverter unit running constantly user as much power as an undersized non inverter unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

because you "just bought" you have your judgment must be based on quite some experience? coffee1.gif

an inverter aircon may or may not save on electricity. the often quoted savings of "up to 30%" can only be achieved under certain specific circumstances.

I don't know what poor circumstances are but I was in a house with old non inverter air conditioners and then changed over to new Carrier inverter air conditioners - around a 50% reduction in monthly electric bills...

• Like 1

An inverter will only offer significant consumption savings over a conventional unit when it is running at less than capacity, i.e. it is somewhat over-sized for the current conditions (maybe cool weather).

Our OP has a room that is rather small for the smallest A/C units commonly available, so a 9000 BTU inverter unit is probably the best choice if the room is in constant use. The Daikin he's been recommended is a good fit.

If it's a spare room, bang in the cheapest 9000BTU (or thereabouts) conventional unit.

Air Conditioners Inverter vs. Non Inverter

The question is which is right for you Inverter or Non Inverter?

The difference between inverter and non inverter is the inverter units can alter their speed in response to cooling demand. Some units have an initial over-speed period where they will run at a slightly higher capacity for a set time to pull down the temperature of a hot room. When they reach the set point temperature they can reduce capacity to maintain that level without cycling as much as a normal unit would. This saves power although it’s arbitrary as it would still take a while to recoup the increased purchase costs.

The inverter unit increases the power usage slightly as it converts the incoming power into a suitable style for the air conditioner although the ability to run at a reduced power level helps to drop the overall usage to below that of a typical non-inverter unit. Most of the advertising claiming 30% lower bills using inverters are based on very carefully set up laboratory scenarios. In reality, while they may cost less to run than a conventional unit, buying an efficient conventional unit will still be cost effective.

Edit source

http://www.bestbuysthailand.com/air-conditiong/52-air-conditioner-inverter-non-inverter

Edited by Andre0720
  • Like 2

Samsung

inverter model 17k

normal model 12k

Inverter saves 10% electricity at most, not worth the 5k extra charge.

The people who have saved money are comparing ancient worn out air-con units to new inverter units.

Comparing two new units will give a very different picture, look at the energy ratings in the shop, 10% difference.

Siam AV install for free, saving another 2k.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 1

I don't know what poor circumstances are but I was in a house with old non inverter air conditioners and then changed over to new Carrier inverter air conditioners - around a 50% reduction in monthly electric bills...

you are comparing apples with pears, i.e. illogical and irrelevant. it goes without saying that "old" aircons are less energy efficient than new ones even if the new ones are are not inverter units.

I bought a unit in an estate in Mae Onn. The builder supplies "Star-Aire" a/c as standard. Never heard of them before . I hear rhem now. They are rhe noisiest a/c I have ever used. I have lived in South East Asia for almost 30 years and have some experience with a/c. Stay away from Star-Aire or invest in earplugs. Cheers.

I bought a samsung 12,000 btu for 15,000 installed, it only uses around 800-1000 baht per month with 8-12 hour per day usage and cools a decent size bedroom ok, alot quieter than the LG units i have had before.

another comment without actual facts because "usage" , "cools" and "decent room size" are not facts but individual perceptions.

here's a backward calculation based on averaging 8-12 run hours/day and 800-1000 baht per month.

-900 Baht = 200kWh

-12k btu/h = 1.15kWh consumption (cooling cycle)

-200kWh = ~174 cooling cycle run hours = 5.8 cooling cycle run hours per day

summary:

"perceived usage of 10-12hrs" differs considerably from "5.8hrs actual usage".

note: the laws of physics cannot be bent! wai2.gif

• Like 1

I changed units in November, and the new unit has used an average of 80% less power in the last three months. It should pay for itself by the time the rainy season gets here!

Nothing to do with the cool weather then.

• Like 2

Samsung

inverter model 17k

normal model 12k

Inverter saves 10% electricity at most, not worth the 5k extra charge.

The people who have saved money are comparing ancient worn out air-con units to new inverter units.

Comparing two new units will give a very different picture, look at the energy ratings in the shop, 10% difference.

Siam AV install for free, saving another 2k.

Price is not everything. Noise and comfort is very important. Inverters are quiet. And they offer a more stable temperature, compared to conventional A/C with a simple thermostat.

Edited by mortenaa

yes Daikin inverter is great!

I agree, the Daikin is a real saver. Try to get a workshop manual, then you can service the unit by yourself (except checking the pressure of the cooling gas, mostly R-134A). Regular cleaning, twice or three times a year, depending on the usage, is inevitable.