Fresh election will not happen in March

Lite Beer

As the administration refuses to talk to the EC - already in violation of a recent directive of the Constitutional Court - and refuses to take any of their advice, we are fast approaching a situation where no goal posts are set, and no consensus is reached. It's a cul-de-sac - constitutional paralysis.

That's a total misrepresentation. The Gov't has met with the EC. The EC is the one that has failed repeatedly to provide adequate manpower for elections and failed to request adequate security for elections. Much of their staff walked off the job etc.. So truly, the EC has failed.

Honestly, I think Yingluck could end all of this quite easily. She should pick her successor, announce and put into writing that upon the completion of elections, she will not run for the PM Role. A new PT Rep will then step in (I am quite sure with the support of Yingluck and Thaksin) as PM in the future.

The country could move forward and truly, the Thaksins don't need this kinda bullshit. They are rich and they can STILL provide support to the Redshirts in the future without having their face on the nation. You would think that they could see that there is no easy path forward and its best to leave on their own terms.

Why would Suthep disagree with such a path? We all know that the removal of Yingluck is truly his goal. So she leaves on her terms. Good for her and good for the Country.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caretaker PM until after the dems win the elections, there has to be somebody at the helm, or did you think the country could have embassies etc in other countries without some kind of PM? Oh wait.... Dems don't think they can win the elections can they? Why's that? because they're more bent than Thaksin I guess?

So what gonna happen when she loses the caretaker status on 1 April, by constitution. Thailand gonna stop to exist ?

Abhisit will become PM by birth right.

• Like 1

As the administration refuses to talk to the EC - already in violation of a recent directive of the Constitutional Court - and refuses to take any of their advice, we are fast approaching a situation where no goal posts are set, and no consensus is reached. It's a cul-de-sac - constitutional paralysis.

Why are so many yellows so elated, they think the EC pull off it coup and all they have to do is get some senators elected on the Elite packed Senate with 75 votes in the bag.

What if the Red shirts did not allow an election in the Stronghold of the North and North east, Suthep has already shown that a tiny minority can invalidate an election, it worked for them, I will also work for the Red shirts.

Once the judicial coup becomes a reality, the Rural folk will be made aware that Suthep promised the Elite he would roll back the minimum wage to 200 baht, and the elites dislike of the 30 baht Hospital insurance, once they see the programs they are in line to lose, the situation could change overnight.

It is not over till it is over.

Cheers

Why are so many yellows so elated, they think the EC pull off it coup and all they have to do is get some senators elected on the Elite packed Senate with 75 votes in the bag.

What if the Red shirts did not allow a Senate election in the Stronghold of the North and North east, Suthep has already shown that a tiny minority can invalidate an election, it worked for them, I will also work for the Red shirts.

Once the judicial coup becomes a reality, the Rural folk will be made aware that Suthep promised the Elite he would roll back the minimum wage to 200 baht, and the elites dislike of the 30 baht Hospital insurance, once they see the programs they are in line to lose, the situation could change overnight.

Cheers

What is the significance of the April 1st date re elections etc.

There was a thread just the other day.

From memory, elections are suppose to held within specified time and new PM appointed.

1 April is the deadline with something also about the senate and MP.

Basically after 1 April there will be some political vacuum and Yingluck can no longer stay as caretaker or any of the ministers.

Can try to find the thread, was an interesting read

• Like 1

What if the Red shirts did not allow an election in the Stronghold of the North and North east, Suthep has already shown that a tiny minority can invalidate an election, it worked for them, I will also work for the Red shirts.

Cheers

That tiny minority is 53% and of that 53%, 30% voted no or didn't vote for anyone.

PTP won last election with 43% of the vote…PTP supporters said that is an overwhelming majority.

61% of the Thai population did not want the amnesty bill. PTP supporters said that is a tiny minority.

500 protestors threaten to kidnap Constitutional Court judges. PTP supporters say the majority have spoken.

6 million people come out to protest the regime's amnesty that 61% of the population didn't want and that is described as a tiny minority.

Facts Math is not a PTP strong point.

• Like 2

Has anyone on TV wondered what will happen if Suthep gets in? From my understanding, he hates Farang and doesn't want us here, therefore will make it as difficult as he can for us to stay, with the hope we all leave. I don't follow politics in any country as they are all the same, full of shit, tell the people what they want to hear and only think about their own pockets. They need a total new government agreed, but they certainly don't need this <deleted> in. What do you think it will mean for all of us living here?

Has anyone on TV wondered what will happen if Suthep gets in? From my understanding, he hates Farang and doesn't want us here, therefore will make it as difficult as he can for us to stay, with the hope we all leave. I don't follow politics in any country as they are all the same, full of shit, tell the people what they want to hear and only think about their own pockets. They need a total new government agreed, but they certainly don't need this wanke_r in. What do you think it will mean for all of us living here?

I have such a feeling that we don't have to worry about that. He will eventually get the Shinawatra's removed, but that is where his story will ends.

Has anyone on TV wondered what will happen if Suthep gets in? From my understanding, he hates Farang and doesn't want us here, therefore will make it as difficult as he can for us to stay, with the hope we all leave. I don't follow politics in any country as they are all the same, full of shit, tell the people what they want to hear and only think about their own pockets. They need a total new government agreed, but they certainly don't need this wanke_r in. What do you think it will mean for all of us living here?

Obla di Obla da life goes on bra.

Nothing will happen. Thais don't mind foreigners here unless you are a nuisance and up to no good. There are hundreds of thousands of farangs here with families.

Don't sweat the petty stuff......

If you're Indian, you can stay. If you're any other nationality, time to pack your bags and go home if Suthep and his ultra-nationalists win.

When Dr. Thaksin was PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over his tax free sale of 49% of his telecom business to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. During the new elections, his TRT party broke the election law that states when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast). The Democrat Party boycotted the elections and TRT was running unopposed in many districts. It is difficult to get enough turnouts to get 40% of the electorate so the TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them and got caught and the election was nullified by the EC. Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and another caretaker PM was installed to facilitate new elections. After a couple of weeks, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber.

Caretaker PM Yingluck is not the only person eligible to be caretaker PM. She, contrary to what she says, can resign. Her brother, faced with the same situation, resigned. Any of her Deputy Prime Ministers could take over as caretaker PM. It's just that Dr. Thaksin doesn't trust anyone else to follow his orders, so she must stay to the bitter end and it will be bitter in the end. This government is doomed and the people who make things happen in this country, Bangkok middle and upper class, will make sure of it. It may not seem fair to you but Kharma is a Bitch and PTP now has some very bad Kharma.

Utterly biased nonsense. In early 2006 the Democrats had done their irresponsible thing (that they did this year also) of not contesting elections - because they wanted and want a coup or a judicial coup. New elections were arranged for October 2006, but the coup happened while Thaksin was out of the country the month before. Thaksin was not a "pretender' or "power grabber" as you shamelessly put it: he was waiting to take part in an election when he was deposed - deposed because the elite knew that he would win the October election.

• Like 1

This notion of a new royal decree is a sneaky way of trying to invalidate the Feb. 3rd. election, according to what I hear from pro-electoral democratic activists, commonly referenced by their affinity clothing colors, the Red Shirts.

This latter point emphasized to counter PAD-Dem strategy of seeking to deprive them of a political context....Calling the pro-Democracy Movement by their affinity clothing colors tries to avoid the awareness that Democracy is under assault.......A little bit like demonizing the Govt., hoping people don't link it to the millions of voters who put them there.

But theyre Reds, Pol Pot, Commies, 'Nam, blood running in the streets, Bangkok burning, we must destroy democracy to save it etc etc etc

What if the Red shirts did not allow a Senate election in the Stronghold of the North and North east, Suthep has already shown that a tiny minority can invalidate an election, it worked for them, I will also work for the Red shirts.

Cheers

Oh good, more red village gossip. Have you any basis for this claim other than your sister-in-law heard it from her cousin in the next village?

BTW it's a bit late to roll back the B300 minimum wage, the inflation damage has already been done.

• Like 2

When Dr. Thaksin was PM, he dissolved Parliament because of protests over his tax free sale of 49% of his telecom business to Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. During the new elections, his TRT party broke the election law that states when a party has no opposition candidate in a district, they must win 40% of the electorate (not 40% of the votes cast). The Democrat Party boycotted the elections and TRT was running unopposed in many districts. It is difficult to get enough turnouts to get 40% of the electorate so the TRT party paid other, smaller parties to run against them and got caught and the election was nullified by the EC. Thaksin had 60 days to hold new elections after the previous elections were voided but failed to do so. At the end of those 60 days, his mandate to govern was over and he moved out of Government House and another caretaker PM was installed to facilitate new elections. After a couple of weeks, Dr. Thaksin moved back into government house and there was no power to stop him. Though Dr. Thaksin was in Government House acting as PM, he had no legal authority to be there. When the Army moved in, they did not oust a sitting PM but they did oust a pretender and power grabber.

Caretaker PM Yingluck is not the only person eligible to be caretaker PM. She, contrary to what she says, can resign. Her brother, faced with the same situation, resigned. Any of her Deputy Prime Ministers could take over as caretaker PM. It's just that Dr. Thaksin doesn't trust anyone else to follow his orders, so she must stay to the bitter end and it will be bitter in the end. This government is doomed and the people who make things happen in this country, Bangkok middle and upper class, will make sure of it. It may not seem fair to you but Kharma is a Bitch and PTP now has some very bad Kharma.

Utterly biased nonsense. In early 2006 the Democrats had done their irresponsible thing (that they did this year also) of not contesting elections - because they wanted and want a coup or a judicial coup. New elections were arranged for October 2006, but the coup happened while Thaksin was out of the country the month before. Thaksin was not a "pretender' or "power grabber" as you shamelessly put it: he was waiting to take part in an election when he was deposed - deposed because the elite knew that he would win the October election.

Actually the coup was more than four months AFTER the April 2nd elections were annulled (May 8th) and Dr. Thaksin STILL hadn't held new elections. BTW, Do you have a link to show elections were scheduled for October? I didn't think so.

January 23 - The Shinawatra family announce the sale of its controlling stake in telecom company Shin Corp. to Singapore's state-owned Temasek Holdings for a tax-free $1.9 billion.

February 24 - Thaksin dissolves parliament, calls for snap elections on April 2 amid protests and mounting criticism over his family's sale of shares in Shin Corp.

March 5 - Tens of thousands attend rally by newly formed People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) to call for Thaksin's resignation for alleged abuse of power, corruption and business conflicts of interest.

April 3 - Thaksin claims victory after snap election, which opposition parties boycotted over corruption allegations. Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was the only major party to participate.

May 8 - Constitutional Court rules April election invalid.

September 19 - Military seizes power in a bloodless coup following series of PAD rallies, while Thaksin is at the U.N. General Assembly in New York.

source: Thailand timeline 2001-2011 http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/07/01/thailand.timeline/index.html?iref=allsearch

edit to add: By what legal standing did Dr. Thaksin attend the UN General Assembly representing Thailand?

Edited by rametindallas
  • Like 1

I doubt if it will have much effect. Apart from anything else, I doubt whether a Suthep dictatorship will have any powerswhatsoever outside of central Bangkok and his personal fiefdom in the south. This time round the Reds (if I may use the shorthand, without conjuring up rabid images of commies slaughtering their opponents) will ensure that any illusions of being a national government the Mouth from the South may have are just that - illusions!

This notion of a new royal decree is a sneaky way of trying to invalidate the Feb. 3rd. election, according to what I hear from pro-electoral democratic activists, commonly referenced by their affinity clothing colors, the Red Shirts.

This latter point emphasized to counter PAD-Dem strategy of seeking to deprive them of a political context....Calling the pro-Democracy Movement by their affinity clothing colors tries to avoid the awareness that Democracy is under assault.......A little bit like demonizing the Govt., hoping people don't link it to the millions of voters who put them there.

"Democracy is not my goal" - Thaksin Shinawatra 2006

I think the Red Shirt supporters here need a bit of perspective on just how much respect the Pheua Thai / Red Shirt patron saint had/has for democracy. They love elections as a way of gaining power and then democracy can just take a hike.

Actually that Thaksin quote is from Nov 2003. Except it's not actually a quote.

Full quote: “Democracy is a good and beautiful thing, but it’s not the ultimate goal as far as administering the country is concerned,” he said. “Democracy is just a tool, not our goal. The goal is to give people a good lifestyle, happiness and national progress."

Maybe I should continually quote Thaksin saying "Democracy is a good and beautiful thing" - at least it's accurate, unlike your excerpted version. I still think the full quote implies disrespect for democracy (or at least checks and balances) in the context it was originally used in, as it related to his opposition to a charter amendment which aimed to shore up independent agenies against growing TRT influence. Just pointing out that he didn't actually say what you claim he says.

• Like 2

Cheers

Oh good, more red village gossip. Have you any basis for this claim other than your sister-in-law heard it from her cousin in the next village?

BTW it's a bit late to roll back the B300 minimum wage, the inflation damage has already been done.

Is the inflation damage really as bad as people keep claiming?

thailand-inflation-cpi.png?s=thcpiyoy&d1

Inflation was up briefly at the time it was implemented but quickly came back down and it still didn't reach the mid-2011 peak. In fact it rather looks as though inflation started coming down as soon as the min wage was implemented. However, it's likely it had an effect with prices being put up in advance, hence the figure for Dec 2012.

Minimum wage has been one of the few good policies. Helping farmers and introducing kids to tablets were both good ideas but the realities have been mired in corruption and incompetence. Attempts need to be made to raise living standards amongst the poorest and reduce inequality whilst also minimizing the opportunities for corruption. That's why I'm in favour of higher minimum wages and direct cash transfers instead of the rice price guarantee scheme.

Absolutely agree with your sentiments about increasing the living standards of the poor, removing as much corruption as possible and reducing the inequality gap. Something all countries should aspire too.

But, regarding inflation. The source of your statistics is somewhat known for making figures up to suit. But, caretaker PM/DM Yingluck did previously say inflation was only in people's imagination.

Is the inflation damage really as bad as people keep claiming?

thailand-inflation-cpi.png?s=thcpiyoy&d1

Inflation was up briefly at the time it was implemented but quickly came back down and it still didn't reach the mid-2011 peak. In fact it rather looks as though inflation started coming down as soon as the min wage was implemented. However, it's likely it had an effect with prices being put up in advance, hence the figure for Dec 2012.

Minimum wage has been one of the few good policies. Helping farmers and introducing kids to tablets were both good ideas but the realities have been mired in corruption and incompetence. Attempts need to be made to raise living standards amongst the poorest and reduce inequality whilst also minimizing the opportunities for corruption. That's why I'm in favour of higher minimum wages and direct cash transfers instead of the rice price guarantee scheme.

I've noticed that the way the inflation rate is calculated may be according to international standards, but has little to do with those who live close to the minimum wage mark (below or above). Furthermore I have not seen any data on the implementation rate of the new minimumwage by law. Same for the 15,000/month for fresh graduates. The government is very silent on that. Maybe a job for the caretaker Minister of Labour Chalerm, that is assuming being CMPO headman still leave him time for caretaking.

The part on 'helping farmers' I'll ignore, we have many topics for that, also for the tabletPC disaster. Of course if you want to start on 'election only' promises' and things never to be taken seriously rolleyes.gif

Edited by rubl

If we can't do it honestly,we will do it the Oboma way,with a executive order