Southern militants shoot and burn woman alive: Thailand

webfact

shows just how cowardly these terrorists are, time for the army to go in and just wipe them out, no more pussy footing around.

The first sensible post I have seen concerning the matter. In have nothing on next week can I help?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woman shot dead, burnt in Thai deep south 'revenge attack'

BANGKOK, February 10, 2014 (AFP) - A policeman's wife was shot dead and then set on fire in front of terrified shoppers at a busy market in Thailand's violence-ridden deep south, officials said Monday, in an apparent revenge attack.

The 28-year-old Buddhist woman was gunned down on Sunday afternoon as she returned to her car from a market in the Ratapanyang area of Pattani province.

A local police officer said a note left at the scene indicated the attack was in revenge for the deaths last week of three Muslim brothers -- aged three, five and nine.

Insurgents blame Thai authorities for the boys' murder -- although there has been no official evidence to back up the claim.

The latest killings raise the spectre of a spiral of tit-for-tat killings between Muslims and Buddhists in Pattani.

The restive region is one of three Muslim-majority provinces in the grip of a bloody decade-long insurgency that has claimed over 5,900 lives -- the majority of them civilians.

After being shot, the woman's body was torched in front of market goers, the police officer told AFP, but no-one had come forward with information fearing retribution from the attackers -- who are suspected militants.

Last Monday, the Muslim brothers were gunned down in front of their home in neighbouring Narathiwat province. Their pregnant mother and father were also shot in the attack but survived.

"We will keep killing you as long as you are still on our land," the letter said, according to the officer who added Sunday's victim was "an unarmed, soft target from the Buddhist community".

Srisompob Jitpiromsri, at Prince of Songkla University in Pattani, said the boys' deaths "have set off a chain-reaction which will be hard to control unless authorities can bring to justice their killers".

"The insurgent movement is taking their deaths as an opportunity for revenge. Local feelings over this are running very high," he said.
The insurgents want a level of autonomy from Thailand, which annexed the region over a century ago.

They accuse Thai authorities of riding roughshod over the local Melayu culture as well as widespread human rights abuses.

There have been more than 40 killings since the start of the year across three southern provinces.

Experts say the spike in deaths is linked to the stalling of peace talks while the Thai government struggles to curb anti-government protests in Bangkok.

Rebels, including those from the shadowy Barisan Revolusi Nasional which is believed to command many of the grassroots fighters, have made a series of demands so that peace talks can continue.

As yet there has not been a full response from the Thai side.

Dozens of children have been killed either by insurgents or security forces since the start of the bloodshed in 2004 and nearly 400 others wounded.

Following the shooting of the boys the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) condemned attacks on children in Thailand's deep south.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-10

that's all i can find regarding the 'southern violence'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Thailand_insurgency

correct me if i'm wrong but seems to me, its all about territorial claim between residents who think its part of another country?

every time i drive down to malaysia, i make sure the misses & my daughter do not wear singlets (even if its freaking hot)

and to wear something that covers their shins from 'prying eyes'

Edited by holeyman1

What would you do if one day you come home and find one of your kids shot dead by the local police for any reason.

The first thing that will come to mind is revenge. It's a human instinct .

So before jumping to any conclusion We need to hear the full story.

That being said, this act is barbaric .

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Southern Thailand Muslim communites have had problems for a long time with Buddist Thailand.

Sinc about 10+ years ago, The conflict has dramatically intensified since the early Thaksin Government policies and years.

There is never an excuse for violence. Especially those not diretly involved in the conflict.

Unfortunately there will probably not be an end until both the Thai Government and the Muslim community are able to productively talk and come to agreements.

No rational people on either side left in Thailand to productively talk about this. Muslim community probably wants nothing less than their own sovereignty. Then they would want sharia law and courts run not by elected officials but by religious zealots. It's a no win proposition. The radical element never gives up.

• Like 2

When rabid animals run loose and commit acts in this fashion, its time to change the rules of engagement... in other words , play more by their rules of the uncivilized. The rule of law , as we currently know it, should be put on stand by.

Whatever your faith , dear lady, may you rest in peace.

Just bring back methods from the past that were considered successfull, such as:

According to Rear Admiral D.P. Mannix, who fought the Moros as a young lieutenant from 1907–1908, the Americans exploited Muslim taboos by wrapping dead Moros in pig's skin and "stuffing [their] mouth with pork", thereby deterring the Moros from continuing with their suicide attacks.

It worked over a hundred years ago, why not today........w00t.gif

• Like 1

The terrible violence in the OP and propaganda message is more than likely to try & incite an overreaction by Thai security forces that will lead to more people joining the insurgency and the cycle constantly repeating itself. For all concerned let's hope Thai security forces respond in a professional & disciplined manner.

Facts are always 'propaganda' to the apologists for jihad, Muslim terrorists and Muslim cruelty. Of course not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists in the South are Muslims.

• Like 1

Could it be possible that Thailand now is probably the world's number one Islamic terrorist country?

It puts Chechnya and Israel in the shade regarding hostile acts of terrorism on a daily basis.

So why is it that nobody really seems to know about it? None of my UK contacts know about it.

The terrible violence in the OP and propaganda message is more than likely to try & incite an overreaction by Thai security forces that will lead to more people joining the insurgency and the cycle constantly repeating itself. For all concerned let's hope Thai security forces respond in a professional & disciplined manner.

Facts are always 'propaganda' to the apologists for jihad, Muslim terrorists and Muslim cruelty. Of course not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists in the South are Muslims.

Maybe the Muslims are the only terrorists in the south. I don't know. But a lot of what's going on in the south has a pretty big component of business and land disputes. The other guys kill for greed, which makes them criminals I suppose, not terrorists.

And dead is dead, whether it's characterized as crime or terrorism.

I don't think this can be labeled as an religous or political act. It is an act of terrorism, pure and simple,

and it seems that it hasn't changed in the 10 or so years I have lived in Thailand. I know of know of

no religion that condones the murder of innocent children, old people and women.

Maybe no religion per se, but the leaders, teachers and 'holy men' of a very particular religion have no qualms about such practises whatsoever! And don't fool yourselves; the everyday, supposedly peaceful, followers of that religion know who the perps are, say or do nothing and support them.

I am sorry, but the World needs to do something about that religion and, for all our sakes, do it soon.

And what would be?

Take time to understand that which we are ignorant of?

Good plan.

I don't think this can be labeled as an religous or political act. It is an act of terrorism, pure and simple,

and it seems that it hasn't changed in the 10 or so years I have lived in Thailand. I know of know of

no religion that condones the murder of innocent children, old people and women.

Maybe no religion per se, but the leaders, teachers and 'holy men' of a very particular religion have no qualms about such practises whatsoever! And don't fool yourselves; the everyday, supposedly peaceful, followers of that religion know who the perps are, say or do nothing and support them.

I am sorry, but the World needs to do something about that religion and, for all our sakes, do it soon.

And what would be?

Good plan.

What plan Bluespunk? I didn't say I had the answer. But 'time to understand' what? That the World should be governed by Sharia law?

Excellent plan!

And what would be?

Good plan.

What plan Bluespunk? I didn't say I had the answer. But 'time to understand' what? That the World should be governed by Sharia law?

Excellent plan!

Nope.

But tell me then what do you mean by "the world needs to do something about that religion"?

Facts as reported by the BKK Post are that the children's father was out on bail for murder & the killing of the children was an act of revenge; Senior Thai military commanders in the area were mentioned by name and quoted that it was not, in their opinion, a terrorist attack, nor carried out by Thai security forces. The message left with the murder victim in the OP was an excuse/propaganda effort. So who are you accusing me of being an apologist me or the quoted Thai military commander? Forgive if I misunderstand the intent of your post...

You appear to have no knowledge of the Thai Buddhist vigilante/death squads in the deep South that in effect operate as terrorists, or are they excusable in their modus operandi 'cause they're Buddhists by name?

Edited by simple1

Terrible and cowardly behaviour indeed, and stresses the need for a training program. I once read a letter from an anti-blood-sports lady suggesting that fox hunting would be unnecessary if foxes were trained not to kill chickens. The answer is simple, just train muslims to stop killing non-muslims :) The world would be a much better place as it is clear that, under present behavioural patterns, wherever muslims appear trouble soon follows, and I heartily applaud Aung San Su Chi in Burma for the stance she has chosen to take on the situation there.

The brutal murder was made in front of several shoppers and vendors at the market but nobody dared to intervene.

The final five words here are key. People have to get involved if these disgusting acts

are to be extinguished. Think of the third plane at 9/11, or the efforts of passers-by at

Glasgow Airport. Nobody should stand by and watch - they should "intervene."

She was walking into a market. A gunman approached and put two bullets in her head.

Do you realize how fast something like this happens, and how long it would take the average person to realize what's happening and even begin to try to intervene? How does someone without a gun take on a shooter?

A second person pours gas on her and lights it.

Even if that happened in the US with me as a bystander carrying my Glock 23, I don't think I could react fast enough to understand what's happening, draw, aim and fire and stop the shooting. The perps were probably so focused on the woman that I could probably shoot both of them, but I couldn't save the woman.

I wasn't thinking of the lady herself, rather the "several

shoppers and vendors" that watched the goings-on.

The perps left a note next to a charred body. They were

there long enough for someone to get involved.

Boy oh boy, you win hands down for the TV Armchair Warrior of the Month award!

Brave words from behind a computer desk.

The shooting would have happened in an instant. Thankfully she was probably dead before these excuses for Humans burned her poor body. The people in the market would have been frozen with fear. It is not full of bloody GI's on R+R is it, it is a fresh fruit and veg market in a southern town. If you had your way the OP thread title would read 'woman shot and burned alive and four others gunned down trying to stop her murderers getting away'.

As hard and tough as I like to think I am, if I were at the market with my wife and kids (which is the norm), my duty would have been to do every single thing possible to protect my two small children and my wife, if that means picking them up and running for cover or falling on a hand grenade that lands at their feet, whatever. But trying to take on definitely two and likely three armed gunmen with no weapon (and knowing they are there for the business of killing) is not really a sensible option in any considered way. You would have been dead meat before you could have got to screaming your Braveheart war cry. What this needs is effective intervention by the Army and the Police, not a 65 year old man or woman armed with a kilo of carrots and a chok Boi cabbage.

Perhaps you were brought up on too much of this............it was meant as a comedy sketch not real hand to hand combat training, and you obviously never watched it to the end. This time do not watch it as a comedy sketch, watch it as a reminder of what happens if you attack three Gunmen when you are at the fresh veg market!

OK, now that you have got the ribbing you truly deserved, on to more serious things.

Whatever happened with the three boys needs to be investigated and those guilty punished severely, as it should be for any murderer regardless of nationality or religion. There is no need to condemn all muslims and go on a rampage killing spree thinking taking out 1000 or 10 000 will solve the problem, because it wont. I was in Northern Ireland at the height of the troubles and there was no need to kill every catholic to eradicate the IRA (Something you will be glad of CB, as was I, being born in Glasgow, Dumbarton Rd in a staunch Catholic area). We knew EXACTLY who the bad guys were on BOTH sides, IRA and UDA. Do you know in that magnificent jewel of a corner of Europe there were just 145 bad guys and we had all their names. There was a rule of law preventing those 145 just being 'taken out', here the security forces are likely to know exactly those involved in the South but here it's more likely the rule of over flowing bank accounts prevent decisive action, and terror prevents any witnesses's from ever speaking of such atrocities.

All tough talk and there is less we can do about this as farangs than the political situation with Yingluck and Suthep. It needs skillful mediation and focused, dedicated, well resourced Military and Policing, non of which will be available until we have reform in this country and a democratic Government who follow the rule of Law.

Excellent post thumbsup.gif

Terrible and cowardly behaviour indeed, and stresses the need for a training program. I once read a letter from an anti-blood-sports lady suggesting that fox hunting would be unnecessary if foxes were trained not to kill chickens. The answer is simple, just train muslims to stop killing non-muslims :) The world would be a much better place as it is clear that, under present behavioural patterns, wherever muslims appear trouble soon follows, and I heartily applaud Aung San Su Chi in Burma for the stance she has chosen to take on the situation there.

What stance has she taken?

I recall her silence on the attacks and murders carried out by Buddhists on Muslim communities a couple of years back. She did receive criticism for not condemning these massacres.

Has she since spoken out on these hate crimes?

When rabid animals run loose and commit acts in this fashion, its time to change the rules of engagement... in other words , play more by their rules of the uncivilized. The rule of law , as we currently know it, should be put on stand by.

Whatever your faith , dear lady, may you rest in peace.

I understand what you are saying but in this new politically correct world, people would be condemning Thailand if they didn't tread softly and respected the rights of these people.

Thailand is not part of anybody's politically correct world.

• Like 1

People advocating eye for an eye must first read about the decade old turmoil in the south that's been ignored and now flamed by mainstream Thai parties. This senseless cycle of violence by the insurgents and the Thai forces is bound to continue and many more innocents on both the sides will die and suffer as collateral damage.

Impossible is a human invention

shows just how cowardly these terrorists are, time for the army to go in and just wipe them out, no more pussy footing around.

If you had been taking a closer interest in the events "down South", you would know that the army commander in that region has already said military action cannot solve this conflict, which has been going since Thailand annexed the Sutanate of Patani in 1904 even though the Thai media would have us believe the conflict is only 10 years old. The army commander recognised that the only lasting solution is a political solution. Thanks to Suthep and his mob, there is no prospect in the forseeable future of progress being made towards resolving this problem let alone a political solution.

• Like 1

You know spunk, maybe genocide might a little strong, but sometimes strong measures are the only tactic that can have the desired outcome. Other approaches should be tried, but we can not keep going to a gunfight only armed with a knife. As Gonzo pointed out, the rules of engagement clearly need to be changed as we are not playing on an even field.

For the sake of argument, there just could be times and conditions where genocide is a justifiable action. I doubt I will ever see it in my lifetime, but one never knows.

Hmmm. Interesting. So how many Muslims in the south would you wipe out? 10? 100? 1000? 10000? 100000?

and how many of them would be terrorists? Or would you include families of terrorists? Or additionally include known associates of terrorists?

Before you pussy foot around with your ideas on what is going on in the South, together with your unworkable solution, I suggest a couple of weeks reading up on the history might help.

Sorry to see such a brutal murder of an innocent spouse. Unforgivable abhorrent behaviour.

I don't have a solution, seeing as UN peacekeeping mission have failed so so miserably in the past all over the world. One thing is for sure, until Thai mainstream politics are sorted, the South will continue to suffer.

They should have a referendum of the southern provinces and ask them if they want rule by Thai, Malaysian or autonomy. The amount of money spent and loss of life just isn't worth it. I'm aware that there then could be a Thai insurgency in those provinces but Thailand cannot police these provinces effectively and something has to be done. History tells us that going in heavy handed will only fuel the rebels resolve.

• Like 1

Facts as reported by the BKK Post are that the children's father was out on bail for murder & the killing of the children was an act of revenge; Senior Thai military commanders in the area were mentioned by name and quoted that it was not, in their opinion, a terrorist attack, nor carried out by Thai security forces. The message left with the murder victim in the OP was an excuse/propaganda effort. So who are you accusing me of being an apologist me or the quoted Thai military commander? Forgive if I misunderstand the intent of your post...

You appear to have no knowledge of the Thai Buddhist vigilante/death squads in the deep South that in effect operate as terrorists, or are they excusable in their modus operandi 'cause they're Buddhists by name?

The Yellow Tigers come to mind. The Thai government and rightest elements of Thai establishment have a long history of terror against their fellow Thais.