Copy A Single File To Multiple Folders?

a269652

I have need of a FREE utility that will enable me to copy a file in one folder (source) to multiple folders (target), in a single hit... rather than having to do them all individually. I know there are many such utilites out there but am looking for first-hand recommendadtions please.

I have need of a FREE utility that will enable me to copy a file in one folder (source) to multiple folders (target), in a single hit... rather than having to do them all individually. I know there are many such utilites out there but am looking for first-hand recommendadtions please.

Don't know about a utility to do it but you can do it from DOS or from a command prompt

As an example

This will copy c:\readme.txt to all subfolders under C:\TEMP

for /R C:\TEMP %a in (.) do copy C:\readme.txt %a

simmo - could you walk me through that command - ive not seen it used before - can you explain what each bit of the syntax is doing please.. :o

Ahh .. my DOS is very rusty ... sooo long ago ... I grabbed that from a backup batch script..

Reference From this site

FOR /R [[drive:]path] %variable IN (set) DO command [command-parameters]

Walks the directory tree rooted at [drive:]path, executing the DO statement in each directory of the tree. If no directory specification is specified after /R then the current directory is assumed. If set is just a single period (.) character then it will just enumerate the directory tree.

Probably better to do it in VBScript these days.

I sometimes need to copy a file to multiple computers on the network.

Last year I clicked around and stopped on Allway Sync

http://allwaysync.com

It doesn't exactly copy files, it synchronises folders, which is another way of saying it.

Free version might have a limit on how many folders you can synchronise at once.

If you search the Internet - look for synchronisation programs, you'll get better results than searching for "copy file"