Fixing corruption in our govt system must be a top priority: Thai opinion

webfact

They should have said, ''Eliminate Thailand's corruption culture'' so Mr & Mrs Average don't have to worry about finding cash to line the pockets of the already well off folk to get anything done or move up in job or society....................... coffee1.gif

These are a fabulous list of recommendations. They really get down to the nitty-gritty. So, needless to say, they will be hated by the Yingluck administration, as they desperately attempt to steer a path as far away from them as possible. Corruption is unquestionably at the very heart of the problems in the political system. Politicians who wish to maintain the status quo have no problem with it and benefit from it, regardless as to any public stance they may take. But because these recommendations are so sweeping, they will take a sea-change to enact. A sea-change is under way now.

This "special to The Nation" discriminates against poor Thai farmers, laborers, and other ordinary Thais without formal education or "relevant" experience. It is highly discriminatory and exclusionary.

What is Thailand? An export economy, a cheap labor economy, the house of ill repute to the world, the ultimate destination for counterfeit property, a tourist economy? Just what exactly is the profile of Thailand of the future? How do its leaders plan to articulate unification of all the corrupt agendas that are at work? Does Thailand have leaders? Or just unnamed guest editors anonymously pontificating about reform and putting the cart before the horse?

Why would Thailand, or any other country for that matter, want people "without formal education or "relevant" experience" as government ministers?

We've just had a government full of nepotism and cronies given MP seats and ministries as paybacks, and it has been a disaster.

There is plenty of examples of people "without formal education" or "relevant experience" in many other countries what are you talking about ? its called variety and equal opportunity. Just like there are many successful business people without the afore mentioned, politics is not special and needs no special criteria just good morals and dedication ( yea I know its lacking here but )

I don't think a person with only a p6 education would be a very good finance minister.

Do you think the current one is any good?

Educational qualifications on their own don't prove that much.

I would much prefer an honest and trustworthy person with a P6 education to a person with degrees up the yingyang who is dishonest and a crook.

Hang about.

We all agree its a good idea to wear a crash helmet.

They have been trying to get the Thais to wear crash helmets for over 15 years!

Its the law!

But this is not the west where 2+2=4

This is a country where 2+2 still equals what it = 80 years ago!

Fairy steps!!

• Like 1

And this is how Thailand became the hub of canvassers. How much is it going to be to sign one of those papers?? People in my area normally get 500 baht twice, once from the red and once from the blue (yellow). Now they can become politician makers. Seems like a perpetual income.

I bet the people in my in-laws' village will sign anything for 1 grand.

nice list of priorities.... But changes are only possible in parliament. Not on the street, not in newspapers or TV. And for those changes the parties have to start TALKS and ACT later

If you actually read the article, that is exactly what the writer is trying to do.

Changes that parliament make are only possible on the street if they are enforced or supported. The experiences with the amnesty bill illustrate that perfectly. Changes made in parliament should, where relevant, be proposed by the street or paddy field, street market or work place. That is democracy.

This "special to The Nation" discriminates against poor Thai farmers, laborers, and other ordinary Thais without formal education or "relevant" experience. It is highly discriminatory and exclusionary.

What is Thailand? An export economy, a cheap labor economy, the house of ill repute to the world, the ultimate destination for counterfeit property, a tourist economy? Just what exactly is the profile of Thailand of the future? How do its leaders plan to articulate unification of all the corrupt agendas that are at work? Does Thailand have leaders? Or just unnamed guest editors anonymously pontificating about reform and putting the cart before the horse?

Why would Thailand, or any other country for that matter, want people "without formal education or "relevant" experience" as government ministers?

We've just had a government full of nepotism and cronies given MP seats and ministries as paybacks, and it has been a disaster.

There is plenty of examples of people "without formal education" or "relevant experience" in many other countries what are you talking about ? its called variety and equal opportunity. Just like there are many successful business people without the afore mentioned, politics is not special and needs no special criteria just good morals and dedication ( yea I know its lacking here but )

I don't think a person with only a p6 education would be a very good finance minister.

I am not convinced that a Thai university degree gets most graduates much further along than an average 16 year old in the developed world

• Like 1

I am not convinced that a Thai university degree gets most graduates much further along than an average 16 year old in the developed world