Mont Clair

Pattel

Where have all the Mont Clair 5 litre wine boxes gone? I normally buy mine in Makro but the other day they had none in stock (I normally buy the red) but they had no white either.

I bought the last 5 litre red from Big C (on 2nd road) and the next day tried Big C extra on Sukhumvit. They had none in stock either. So is this temporary or permanent. Or has it been taken off the market to be re-introduced later at a higher price.

Anybody have any ideas.

I went to Makro yesterday and they had lots of the White 5 Litre boxes, but no Red ones.

I was there two days ago and they had neither red nor white in 5lit boxes. They did have 2lit boxes which I have never seen before.

Another thing I dont understand about 5lit Mont Clair at Makro is why the price goes up and down from 899B to 959B and back again like a yo-yo. It seems to change every time I go there.

Maybe they have been caught trying to evade tax. Mont Clair is imported as fruit juice in a large container. So no alcohol tax is paid. Yeast added to the juice eventually turns it into wine. It is then put into 5 liter boxes and the sold for the equivalent of Bt 125 a bottle. I have often wondered how they get away with it. Of course they can legally claim that it is a product of South Africa.

I was offered one of these containers of Fruit juice from Australia which had all the ingredient already added. I contacted a few freinds but we figured that it would take years to drink the whole container and the cheap cost which we worked out at about Bt 35 a bottle might turn us all into alcoholics. The quality is none too good either and it could damage your liver.

• Like 1

Maybe they have been caught trying to evade tax. Mont Clair is imported as fruit juice in a large container. So no alcohol tax is paid. Yeast added to the juice eventually turns it into wine. It is then put into 5 liter boxes and the sold for the equivalent of Bt 125 a bottle. I have often wondered how they get away with it. Of course they can legally claim that it is a product of South Africa.

I was offered one of these containers of Fruit juice from Australia which had all the ingredient already added. I contacted a few freinds but we figured that it would take years to drink the whole container and the cheap cost which we worked out at about Bt 35 a bottle might turn us all into alcoholics. The quality is none too good either and it could damage your liver.

At first I thought you where BS, but then after some google-ing, it makes perfect sense. And after reading up a bit it's indeed quite easy to do.

• Like 1

At first I thought you where BS, but then after some google-ing, it makes perfect sense. And after reading up a bit it's indeed quite easy to do.

I thought I had read they also fortified this wine. Is that true? It's absolutely horrible stuff either way.

most unusual to read your comments here Craig. I still have a house in Cape Town which we regularly visit and have lived in France and enjoy wine and find Mont Clair a very reasonably priced and very acceptable plonk. But as always with wine each to his/her own. Yes, and what's happened to the boxes I wonder,

• Like 1

most unusual to read your comments here Craig. I still have a house in Cape Town which we regularly visit and have lived in France and enjoy wine and find Mont Clair a very reasonably priced and very acceptable plonk. But as always with wine each to his/her own. Yes, and what's happened to the boxes I wonder,

I would think Mont Clair in SA would have been produced properly. Not shipped as a juice then fermented in another country? It is the cheapest wine available. Like beer, or any other booze, the cheapest is not always the best????

wai2.gif

I've never seen Mont Clair in South Africa Craig as good wines there are inexpensive anyway and decent plonk is relatively cheap.. And I never said or implied cheapest is best, simply that's it's quaffable and acceptable to me (and many others it would seem)

I've never seen Mont Clair in South Africa Craig as good wines there are inexpensive anyway and decent plonk is relatively cheap.. And I never said or implied cheapest is best, simply that's it's quaffable and acceptable to me (and many others it would seem)

There have been many discussions of similar ilk on the other Mont Clair wine thread which has been going for some time now. It's all down to personal taste and that doesn't mean comparing something like this wine to more expensive and better wines.

This wine is made to be an everyday drinking wine and like it or not many, many millions of gallons of similar wine are made in France, Italy, the USA and Australia, to name but a few, because they fit a certain part of the market.

If you want something better, then pay for it, but if you want an everyday drinker, then the Mont Clair may well be suitable for you.

Just remember that not everybody gets it right with regards to wine and tasting..............in 1976 a wine tasting was organised in Paris to match the best French wines against some from California and the general wisdom from the "experts" at the time thought it was going to be a walkover for the French wines, however the wines from California scored a remarkable victory in the blind tasting, and the wine tasters were French!!!!

There was an outcry from the French wine trade with all sorts of excuses made as to why the result couldn't be right, and indeed other wine tastings were had in later years and didn't change the outcome much. In fact 30 years after that initial tasting, wines from that event were tried again and matched, and guess what, the wines from California were victorious.

Similarly in another wine tasting in Paris in 1979, a Spanish wine, Mas La Plana from Miguel Torres beat the best that the French had to offer in Chateau Latour, and this was against all the predictions of the experts.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is it is all a matter of taste, and even the "experts" don't always get it right. If you enjoy it, then drink it, if you don't, then don't buy it, but don't knock the folk who think it's ok.

Agree 100%. We have parties at our house, and serve about 15 liters of red & 20 liters of white MC and some pricks complain that it is not good enough for them.

We tell them if they want to provide 45 bottles of classic wine at there expense the please do so. These are the people who normally turn up empty handed when they arrive.

Edited by Oink
  • Like 1

went into Tesco's on Sukhumvit today and they had no wine boxes at all, red or white.

And they were suddenly moving all their wine around and the whole display of white wine was unmarked. When I asked the young lady where the prices were she took a bottle and started to go somewhere to price it. I figured that it would take a long time to get all the prices of the white that they had in stock so I told her to forget it

I really don't understand Thai marketing / retailing sometimes. They can only sell alcohol between the hours of 11AM-2PM and again from 5PM-12AM yet they can't time their constant stock rotation to do it when they can't sell or at a minimum only move priced bottles to priced displays

• Like 1