Aeon Bank now charge 150 B ATM fee

Sorry absolute rubbish Of course you have a PIN with your Debit card. If you don;t you need to change banks as all the main UK retail banks I know of issue a PIN with your Debit card which is also an ATM card. You can even change your PIN if you wish. Of course the debit card is linked to your bank account electronically and of course it checks first that you have funds available before the transaction goes through. At the bank counter you have to identify yourself with your passport or Thai driving licence AND sign the transaction the same as when buying goods of course.

Ehmmm, you are supposed to enter your PIN when buying goods with an ATM card. Not sign.

Signature is only for credit cards, altough now has been replaced with a PIN too (chip and PIN cards).

Why do you think I am making this up ?? Why would I even want to do that ???

I am 100% sure I can use my UK Bank Debit card in an ATM with my PIN, and at a Thai bank counter with suitable ID, for drawing out cash provided the money is already in my account. I am not guessing this is true or making it up, as I have done these Debit Card cash transactions a fair bit and quite recently too (yes and with no ATM fee with the old fair and decent AEON system). Works well as NO ATM fee, NO cash advance fee (as I already have the funds), and NO interest charged as no loan is taking place as I am just drawing out MY money and NO bank TT transfer fee either AND it is instant cash too !!

I'm not saying you are making it up and if yoiu notice I did not use any term like rubbish when referring to your postings.

I'm just saying that either you entered your PIN at some point, or it was not a debit card transaction. Passport/ID is not enough, and is not even technically possible for a foreign bank (or even a domestic one) to receive money from your bank with just that. So when using debit cards, it must be an electronic transaction, that involves using a PIN.

Note, some cards (I have one) are combined credit/debit. That can add to the confusion.

Edited by paz

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry absolute rubbish Of course you have a PIN with your Debit card. If you don;t you need to change banks as all the main UK retail banks I know of issue a PIN with your Debit card which is also an ATM card. You can even change your PIN if you wish. Of course the debit card is linked to your bank account electronically and of course it checks first that you have funds available before the transaction goes through. At the bank counter you have to identify yourself with your passport or Thai driving licence AND sign the transaction the same as when buying goods of course.

Ehmmm, you are supposed to enter your PIN when buying goods with an ATM card. Not sign.

Signature is only for credit cards, altough now has been replaced with a PIN too (chip and PIN cards).

Why do you think I am making this up ?? Why would I even want to do that ???

I am 100% sure I can use my UK Bank Debit card in an ATM with my PIN, and at a Thai bank counter with suitable ID, for drawing out cash provided the money is already in my account. I am not guessing this is true or making it up, as I have done these Debit Card cash transactions a fair bit and quite recently too (yes and with no ATM fee with the old fair and decent AEON system). Works well as NO ATM fee, NO cash advance fee (as I already have the funds), and NO interest charged as no loan is taking place as I am just drawing out MY money and NO bank TT transfer fee either AND it is instant cash too !!

I'm not saying you are making it up and if yoiu notice I did not use any term like rubbish when referring to your postings.

I'm just saying that either you entered your PIN at some point, or it was not a debit card transaction. Passport/ID is not enough, and is not even technically possible for a foreign bank (or even a domestic one) to receive money from your bank with just that. So when using debit cards, it must be an electronic transaction, that involves using a PIN.

Note, some cards (I have one) are combined credit/debit. That can add to the confusion.

Once again I do not buy goods with an ATM card I use my bank Debit card (which like a credit card can be used with a PIN at an ATM) I can use my Debit card exactly the same as my Credit Card for buying goods with my signature and 99% of the time I do not need to enter a PIN (sometimes it asks for a PIN but just tell them to wait 30 seconds and it goes through fine). Everything I am telling you is 100% true and I do it this way all of the time. DO not confuse a simple ATM card with a Debit card. Most ATM cards these days, unless you bank is living in the past, even Thai ones like Be First are both Debit cards and ATM cards and I can use my BeFirst Bangkok Bank Thai card for buying goods without a PIN too provided there is money in my account (rarely here) or else it will be rejected at the shop checkout.

One word of warning be VERY careful of using your card PIN (credit or debit card) when buying goods as this is a well known scam along with cloning your card. If they insist on a PIN I will only use it if it is with a bank counter transaction or with a very reliable company when I have not taken my eyes off of my card. 99% of the time I do not have to use my PIN I assure you but good valid ID (Thai driving license or passport) is needed always at the bank counter for drawing cash (maybe PIN too sometimes) on either my credit card or debit card as they are both treated the same and subject to the normal card authorisation as all such transactions are same as shop checkout machines.

<deleted>????????? Worst news all year

Let me be the first to congratulate you on having a pretty good year so far.

only 40 days in and all down hill from here 555

Words of advice:

Stick with DTAC, don't fall in love, always use a condom, beware of street cart food, don't complain about Russians, get used to hearing Free Bird and Hotel California, always ask how much something cost beforehand, get a Thailand drivers license from the DLT immediately, buy a cheap secondhand moped and don't take any crap!

Haa - Made me smile - True - But the only one I didn't instantly connect with was freebird and so googled - And when I heard it realised it was sameSame - And I hear always

Once again I do not buy goods with an ATM card I use my bank Debit card (which like a credit card can be used with a PIN at an ATM) I can use my Debit card exactly the same as my Credit Card for buying goods with my signature and 99% of the time I do not need to enter a PIN (sometimes it asks for a PIN but just tell them to wait 30 seconds and it goes through fine). Everything I am telling you is 100% true and I do it this way all of the time. DO not confuse a simple ATM card with a Debit card. Most ATM cards these days, unless you bank is living in the past, even Thai ones like Be First are both Debit cards and ATM cards and I can use my BeFirst Bangkok Bank Thai card for buying goods without a PIN too provided there is money in my account (rarely here) or else it will be rejected at the shop checkout.

Alright, so to resume, you have a debit card does not require a PIN, just signature, to make purchases in a foreign country. And, when inside a foreign bank (or something that is like a bank), can be used to extract cash from your account, again without a PIN.

All that given, would anyone call this "secure" ?

Note, while it's possible to make PINless purchases nowadays, that is called proximity technology, but requires your card to come with an RFID chip, and it works only in selected Point of Sales.

I will not digress on the supposed difference between debit and ATM cards, anyone one can read wikipedia on the matter. Perhaps is an UK only thing, for sure it does not exists into any other country. Proof, can anyone here walk to buy goods with a non-credit card, no PIN, and see if the transaction completes.

One word of warning be VERY careful of using your card PIN (credit or debit card) when buying goods as this is a well known scam along with cloning your card. If they insist on a PIN I will only use it if it is with a bank counter transaction or with a very reliable company when I have not taken my eyes off of my card. 99% of the time I do not have to use my PIN I assure you but good valid ID (Thai driving license or passport) is needed always at the bank counter for drawing cash (maybe PIN too sometimes) on either my credit card or debit card as they are both treated the same and subject to the normal card authorisation as all such transactions are same as shop checkout machines.

Event better, now according to you, "they" the scammers, are store owners with access to a bank retail network, but their actual business is to clone cards using legitimate Point of Sales machines. Again, proof ?

And finally, that inside the bank counter a PIN is required "maybe sometime" to withdraw? Nice to have certainities when it comes to banking and money!

I maybe wrong, but in my opinion is that a loophole exists, to allows one to get money from his foreign account at no cost, is nil.

Why use ATMs anyway? Just take your bank card and passport to any major bank and you don't even have to go inside the bank, just go to the money exchange window on the street, takes about 1 minute, the teller inserts your card in a machine and charges it for any amount you want (up to whatever is available in your account) and you sign a paper, depending on the card type you may or may not have to enter your PIN, then they hand you the cash. No fee whatsoever and no limit on the withdrawal amount. I have taken out up to 100,000 baht on several occasions.

that is bad news. Now AEON can watch a significant drop in ATM usage from farang's taking money out as there is no incentive anymore

They were providing a service for free. How is less people using their machines going to affect their bottom line profit. Not one bit I don't think they will be sad if you folks decide not to use them for free anymore.

Yes, I am sure the people struggling out of Homs in Syria will agree. Or the ones in the Somerset Flats whose waders are suddenly too short. Even those sad Man U supporters....?

AEON ATM fees? As Will Shakespeare said, "Much Ado About Nothing."

Yes, I am sure the people struggling out of Homs in Syria will agree. Or the ones in the Somerset Flats whose waders are suddenly too short. Even those sad Man U supporters....?

AEON ATM fees? As Will Shakespeare said, "Much Ado About Nothing."

some people do not understand sarcasm when it blatantly smacks them in the face. Maybe you should apply William Shakespeare to you're post Zzzzzz

Why use ATMs anyway? Just take your bank card and passport to any major bank and you don't even have to go inside the bank, just go to the money exchange window on the street, takes about 1 minute, the teller inserts your card in a machine and charges it for any amount you want (up to whatever is available in your account) and you sign a paper, depending on the card type you may or may not have to enter your PIN, then they hand you the cash. No fee whatsoever and no limit on the withdrawal amount. I have taken out up to 100,000 baht on several occasions.

Yes, but I reckon that most ATM users find dealing face-to-face with people, especially Thai people, all a bit of a social challenge, hence being all orgasmic about AEON's fee-free ATMs.

Now they are in serious mourning as well as finding their interpersonal skills are somewhat lacking.

Bummed. With the 20,000 per transactions limit, I won't be using Aeon anymore.

I have no limits on my US Schwab Debit Card. Does anybody know BKK bank's per transaction limit is? If I have to pay a per transaction fee, I need to find a bank that has a high number.

BB limits you to 25,000 THB per pull. Others have reported in this thread that CIMB and Bank of Ayudhya allow 30,000 THB per pull

Maybe AEON will now return to their 40,000 THB per pull limit and soften this blow

Ouch!! I've been using AEON with my U.S. ATM card for a number of years, quite happy with it. Now?

I do note that BAY, Bank of Ayuttaya, allows baht 30,000 per ATM withdrawal so that at least lessens the baht 150 "hurt."

Mac

That would fit nicely with folks who have $1000 daily limits on their U.S. debit card ATM withdrawals.

I guess we should update and gather the info together, on what Thai banks have the highest per ATM withdrawal amounts now, since it will become more pertinent in the wake of AEON's move.

that is bad news. Now AEON can watch a significant drop in ATM usage from farang's taking money out as there is no incentive anymore

why is this bad news? ALL the Thai banks have been doing this for the past two years or more! AEON is just catching up with the herd!

Probably because farangs living in or visiting Thailand with home country debit cards have probably saved millions of baht collectively over the past few years by having a no-fee ATM option with AEON vs the 150 to 180 baht per withdrawal fees charged by the regular Thai banks.

Do you like paying $5-$6 fees to withdraw your own money from the bank?

Pity it happened now ,as i use my metro card in an Aeon machine ,so no charges wharsoever ,but as metro were going the way of Nationwide and charging from march 18th ,i would have stopped using machines then anyway , so back to going into the bnank to get it.

Edited by i claudius

When you move things across the world, it is going to cost money. How much it should cost is definitely up for debate, but what else can you move half way across the world and not be charged a dime? I don't think money is, or even should be, an exception. I wish it was, but in reality it should not be.

Yes, but I reckon that most ATM users find dealing face-to-face with people, especially Thai people, all a bit of a social challenge, hence being all orgasmic about AEON's fee-free ATMs.

Now they are in serious mourning as well as finding their interpersonal skills are somewhat lacking.

I agree...I much prefer standing in a bank queue line only during their daylight operating hours to have cerebral intercourse with a bank clerk and hoping the clerk don't say No and instead just point me to their ATM. That's a much better orgasmic experience than just pressing an ATM's buttons day or night, most anywhere, 24/7, a quick & easy "Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am" type experience.

They'll regret it sooner than later, even a 50Bht charge would have kept their profits up, ce la vie. SO, the other day I found out that I could draw 35,000 at the KrungThai (yellow ones). This helps since everyone else now limits me to 20 bank notes regardless of my withdrawal limit not being exceeded by my own bank. Can someone confirm that they have done this too. It was an ATM by BanMoh

Oz

Had confirmation yesterday that I'll be able to withdraw 3K MYR from any CITI ATM in KL - that's ~29.5K baht and very close to my daily limit in AUD anyway - happy days. Not sure how I'll get on in Thailand, but the absence of fees (ATM or currency conversion fees) will make it less painful if I can only get 20K at a time.

Ouch!! I've been using AEON with my U.S. ATM card for a number of years, quite happy with it. Now?

I do note that BAY, Bank of Ayuttaya, allows baht 30,000 per ATM withdrawal so that at least lessens the baht 150 "hurt."

Mac

CIMB Bank ATM's and also Krunksri ATM's alow 30,000 baht withdrawal. CIMB sometimes may run out of large bills so will then only give 20,000 baht.

I had the same problem, charged 150 Baht, are there any other ATM machines that dont charge? the 150 Baht

It should be a sticky, and I've argued for that several times, but the simple answer is CITI, although some claim to have been charged a fee for ATM use when using a non-CITI card in a CITI ATM. Beats me, but I'll try both and report back in April.

I would suggest contacting aeon and telling them what you think about the fee. They do actually reply to those things.

edit: here is the link: http://www.aeon.co.th/aeon/af/aeon/sec/contactus/contactUsChannel.do?channelId=-8709&selectedChannels=-8709〈=en

leave a phone number in the email....they do call back usually or will at least reply to the email.

I was at the Aeon ATM in Chumphon just less than 1 week ago and did not see this 150 baht charge. This is a very recent development.

"We pick our teachers, and we get what we want..." -sent from Note 2 TV app.

Edited by 4evermaat

I started using XE. 20 USD but can wire 5 times my atm limit of 600 usd. Better baht rate..you lock that in when you purchase. You purchase baht from XE and they debit your bank (no atm/credit card requiredand no charge for that part). Then they wire from XE to Bank of Bangkok. That is where the 21 USD comes in. Whatever I do..it amounts to almost the same costs.

Takes 14 days..prepare in advance.

I actually planned to use them once to transfer good amount of loonies, but the exchange raye was horrifying. Talking about 50k range; the offered rate was like 3% off the rate you see on their website.

What a scam...

Sent via the app thingy

Seriously? Look it up. XE is one of the best worldwide. You have to be smart, and check the rate....lock it in. Exchange rates fluxuate. That is where your power is. If you get it from the ATM, the rate could change before they debit your account...and the rate is at least one baht off to your disadvantage. With XE you lock in the rate at the moment you buy. thumbsup.gif

When you move things across the world, it is going to cost money. How much it should cost is definitely up for debate, but what else can you move half way across the world and not be charged a dime? I don't think money is, or even should be, an exception. I wish it was, but in reality it should not be.

Truth. We are no longer riding camels across the Mongolian desert with sacks of gold hanging off the side of the saddle, just for that one vicious marauder to snatch. Banks offer security. We cry because we pay 5 dollars to ensure our 50,000 dollars is secured? Spoiled like hell, I would say.

And exactly what are you going to complain about? That you are no longer going to use their credit card that you are not eligible to have in the first place? They were giving us this good deal because it gave them access to cash that they could then lend out to their THAI customers via the "float". They obviously determined that they no longer need to use this method to raise cash so are going to make money by using their network and not be the only FREE option available for foreigners

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Exactly and as you say just like the bank counter. Use debit or credit card. Mine are both VISA cards BTW. Paz should just try it before he says it cannot work as it bloody well does.

As to security then they should ask you for ID preferably your passport though Thai Banks often accept your Thai driving licence which has you picture on it of course. If I could only get through to Paz and get him to understand that a passport or Thai driving licence ID is far more secure than a PIN (which can be fraudulently gotten ) Thai banks I go to really do not need the pin they insist on my Passport or sometimes my Thai Driving Licence will suffice and once they are happy it is me then they swipe my debit or credit card through their trader machine wait for authorisation and present me with the normal chit to sign. They also copy my ID and get me to sign the copy too BTW which is pretty much normal and no problem. All with NO ATM charge of course. Very secure and no authorisation given if my CC is over limit or I have insufficient funds in my Bank Account if using my Debit card.

ATM and PIN numbers are FAR less secure.

No Paz I am NOT suggesting retailers are really in business to scam my credit and debit cards but sometimes their staff are unscrupulous. Yes it happened to me in Bangkok at quite a big chain of camera shops as the staff there must have used one of those machines to clone my credit card (I thought it took some while with my card out of sight)and they asked for my PIN which I would not give them. I told them to wait 30 seconds and the PIN would not be needed. They then said it failed and said they will try again, this time it worked of course with the 30 seconds delay. Glad I did not give them my PIN as the following week my credit card company noticed some irregularity (probably a wrong signature) and stopped my card issuing me with a new one. The fraudsters got away with about £250 worth of goods which my credit card company fully covered for me so as always I have never last any funds through credit/debit card frauds. I am very strict on security and that is why I always avoid giving PINS unless no other way and then I keep sight of my card and ensure my PIN is hidden and the transaction goers straight through ok.

Paz that Near Field method is NOT that secure at all and why it is limited to only fairly small transaction amounts.

I used the CITI bank ATM in Asoke yesterday...NO FEE. My card is a Mastercard Debit Card issued in the UK.

Interestingly AEON are also now charging a fee for Thai issued cards when they didn't before, the fee is 20 baht.

Why the need to apply a dual tiered pricing structure?

I have emailed ([email protected]) their customer services to express my disappointment and request an explanation for the dual pricing...Will see if they bother to respond.

Making cash withdrawals at a local bank on either debit or credit card is also an option, it's simple enough and depending on your card conditions can be fee free as well