Aeon Bank now charge 150 B ATM fee

TallGuy,

I don't know regarding the amount that they "may" point you towards their ATM with a credit card...or if they would even attempt to point you if you are using a credit card for the cash advance. All I know is what I experienced in my visits yesterday and today. Yesterday when trying the debit card for a cash advance the answer was "can not" for debit card but "can" for credit card. Then today's visit with the credit card was quick & easy....it was a "can."

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tall Guy John

Two last remarks and then finished. There are two rather amusing aspects of this. 1. The Credit Agricole (I think the largest bank in France) is the only bank that will not accept Amex. 2. Thanks to Amex I have a free air ticket (Air France) to the US next year. So for the first time in 14 years no Thailand for me. Just California and that Pacific. I live in the Pyrenees and just long to be near that ocean of mine. And no I'm not American.

The solution is simple - it just takes a few minutes longer. Just go into the bank with your passport & foreign credit/debit card & ask for a cash advance on your credit card. The trick is that the sum being requested must be higher than the ATM's usual maximum advance (THB 20,000?).

The bank does the paperwork, gets the authorisation, copies your passport (which you also sign) and the bank give you the cash. Best thing is that there's no fees! Not a single Baht & you get personalised service as part if the deal

I dont think getting an advance against your credit card is the deal you make it sound like. Most cash advances against your credit card start the interest rate charge ticking from day 1, so no grace period to pay off the credit card balance. So, you are borrowing money at the CC interest rate, until you pay it back, with no grace period. And we all know interest rates on CC's are ridiculously high.

So, unless you have something different than the norm, dont think this approach is as good as it sounds.

Correct. I have read this so many times, but nobody was ever able to prove one could use his DEBIT card for a cash advance at the counter.

For a CREDIT card, there will ALWAYS be interest running and a cash advance charge, even when using "invitation only" credit cards having $,1000 yearly fee.

I have a Visa card from a credit union that has no cash advance fee. However, it still has the disadvantage of having the Visa foreign transaction fee.

Anyone know of a US credit union that has credit cards with no foreign transaction fees?

Grin

Anyone know of a US credit union that has credit cards with no foreign transaction fees?

Grin

Like mentioned in above posts Pentagon Federal Credit Union (a.k.a., PenFed)
And there is only a one time fee of $15 to join Voices for America's Troops which qualifies you for membership in PenFed.

Tip is much appreciated.

Grin

Here's the PenFed page where you can check to see if you qualify for membership: Link

At the webpage, after you click one of the major options then it opens up some sub-options to select to see if you are eligible. A lot of eligibility options are there...don't let the name of the credit union make you think it's limited to only military folks because it's not. Check it out.

• $15 (one-time only, non-refundable dues)
  • You do not have to retain the Voices for America's Troops membership to stay a member with PenFed
  • Voices for America’s Troops advocates for a strong national defense, including sustaining and improving quality of life programs for America’s troops, their families and survivors

https://netmember3.penfed.org/NetMember/Forms/OpenAccounts/Eligibility.aspx?MEMBERSHIP

For those who don't have some military or government affiliation, you want to pick the last option on their list:

"Help me join another way."

That's a good catch, Pib... Indeed, the terms for both the Penfed Cash Rewards and Cash Reward Plus credit cards do indeed seem to have the same essential characteristics (for our purposes) as the Penfed Promise card. That is: no foreign currency fee, no cash advance fee, and 9.99% APRs.

Meanwhile, I do hope you, me and others can find Thai bank branches that will do counter withdrawals with regular debit cards. But I likewise hope your next ordeal trying to find one doesn't take another hour in the bank branch. tongue.png

attachicon.gifPS0206.jpg attachicon.gifPS0207.jpg

The standard card seems to have a $25 annual fee, whereas the plus card has no annual fee.

Regarding the Plus card not having an annual fee that is true "if" you also sign up for one of 8 qualifying PenFed products otherwise they'll hit you will a annual $25 fee which they started around Sep 13...theirTerms & Conditions could do a better job is clearly pointing that out. The product I signed up for to avoid the annual fee and get the 5% cash back for pay-at-the-pump gas was opening a Money Market account...minimum balance for the MM account is $25. Up until Sep 13 there was no annual fee but then they sent a letter to current card holders saying they were adding an annual fee of $25 unless a person also signed up for one of the other PenFed products shown below. Now I already had the card, called them up ready to cancel the card since Pib don't do credit cards with annual fees, but then I found out how to avoid the fee, they connected me to bank accounts dept where I opened the MM account over the phone in about 10 minutes...during that same call I gave them the routing and account number of my USAA Bank account to fund via ACH transfer the PenFed MM account with $25...piece of cake. I may actually put a couple thousand in that PenFed MM account now simply to allow immediate transfer funding to my PenFed credit card because an internal bank transfer is faster than an external bank ACH transfer.

See this PenFed webpage for details and below is cut-and-paste from that page.

That's a good catch, Pib... Indeed, the terms for both the Penfed Cash Rewards and Cash Reward Plus credit cards do indeed seem to have the same essential characteristics (for our purposes) as the Penfed Promise card. That is: no foreign currency fee, no cash advance fee, and 9.99% APRs.

Meanwhile, I do hope you, me and others can find Thai bank branches that will do counter withdrawals with regular debit cards. But I likewise hope your next ordeal trying to find one doesn't take another hour in the bank branch. tongue.png

attachicon.gifPS0206.jpg attachicon.gifPS0207.jpg

The standard card seems to have a $25 annual fee, whereas the plus card has no annual fee.

Regarding the Plus card not having an annual fee that is true "if" you also sign up for one of 8 qualifying PenFed products otherwise they'll hit you with a annual $25 fee which they started around Sep 13...their Terms & Conditions could do a better job is clearly pointing that out. The product I signed up for to avoid the annual fee and get the 5% cash back for pay-at-the-pump gas was opening a Money Market account...minimum balance for the MM account is $25. Up until Sep 13 there was no annual fee but then they sent a letter to current card holders saying they were adding an annual card fee of $25 unless a person also signed up for one of the other PenFed products shown below. Now I already had the card, called them up ready to cancel the card since Pib don't do credit cards with annual fees, but then I found out how to avoid the fee, they connected me to savings accounts dept where I opened the MM account over the phone in about 10 minutes...during that same call I gave them the routing and account numbers of my USAA Bank account to fund via ACH transfer the PenFed MM account with $25...piece of cake. I may actually put a couple thousand in that PenFed MM account now simply to allow immediate transfer funding to my PenFed credit card because an internal bank transfer is faster than an external bank ACH transfer.

See this PenFed webpage for details and below is cut-and-paste from that page.

Heck, it appears none of the PenFed credit cards have a foreign transaction fee "or a cash advance fee" as far as I can see. Of course the interest on a cash advance starts ticking immediately but at least you are not hit-up for that typical several percent upfront cash advance fee. But sure to open up the Summary of Terms for each card to see what I mean.

https://www.penfed.org/credit-card-overview/

Yesterday when trying the debit card for a cash advance the answer was "can not" for debit card but "can" for credit card.

The measly reverse interchange fee (reimbursement) bank owners receive for ATM transactions, as previously discussed, dictates they point you to the ATM machine (and thus the 150/180 baht fee). Counter transactions for debit/ATM cards are a nuisance, 'cause all they get is the same ATM reimbursement, but no 150/180 baht fee. Cash advances (which by definition means a credit card, not a debit card, transaction) are more lucrative for the bank/ATM owner. And is why, if you stick your credit card in a Thai ATM machine, ask for cash advance, you'll not be charged the 150 baht -- 'cause it's differently encoded from an ATM transaction. And certainly means more reimbursement to the dispenser of the cash. Not sure what the flat fee is -- but there is a percentage involved, thus the more dispensed, the happier the dispenser. So, no wonder a cash advance (vs. counter ATM transaction) was happily received at the counter.

Normally, this is a 'win, win, lose' situation, with you the loser, since not only do you pay instant interest (at a higher than POS rate), but also a percentage fee (Capital One is 3%, or $10). The issuing bank, then, gets a nice return for this cash advance, which he willingly shares with the dispenser of the cash. In such a situation, using a debit/ATM card that even charges fees, and doesn't reimburse the 150/180 baht fee, would be superior to a cash advance.

So, what's Penfed up to with this no fee? Maybe a loss leader ('cause the reimbursement they're paying the dispenser isn't changing) to make their card attractive to more folks......? Is there some gimmick with the interest, even when carrying a credit balance.?

Pib, certainly will be interested in how this all works out (any info on when they stopped charging their cash advance fee, i.e., is this maybe a blue light special of limited duration)?

Jim, no it's not some fluke or temporary thing, in answer to your question about the durability of the PenFed features we've been discussing.

They began the PenFed Promise VISA card some years ago as a totally no fee, but of course interest on running balances, card. And they've kept to that without change AFAIK.

Meanwhile, PenFed had other credit cards that used to charge foreign currency fees, unlike the Promise card. But then a year or two ago I wanna say, they basically removed the foreign currency fee charges from pretty much all of their credit card products.

I can't speak to the absence of cash advance fees re their cards, other than the Promise card, which has never had them. Because like others here, we never had any much reason to be mindful of credit card cash advances.

So, to sum it up, I'm aware of no "gotcha's" with the PenFed credit cards that would make them operate any differently in the real world from what we've been discussing here.

But, meanhwile, one of your comments above raises an interesting prospect:

if you stick your credit card in a Thai ATM machine, ask for cash advance, you'll not be charged the 150 baht -- 'cause it's differently encoded from an ATM transaction.

I've never tried that in Thailand before, because I'd never had the need. But if what you're saying is correct, then instead of messing with counter withdrawals, we ought to be able to simply do credit card cash advances via regular Thai bank ATMs without any downside.

No 150 baht fee, based on what you're saying. And no foreign currency fee or cash advance fees, provided you're using the proper kind of credit card. If all that works, then the only issue is making sure to pay back the advance to your credit card account before any/much interest can accrue.

The other nice thing about PenFed's Promise and some of their other cards too, is they have quite reasonable interest rates. The Promise card, for example, at a standard 9.99% for cash advances. So it's not like some banks that start out with 21 or 24 or higher percent APR interest when cash advances are involved.

If what you say about no 150 baht fee on ATM credit card cash advances is correct, things are beginning to look markedly better here. biggrin.png

Let me also, meanwhile, add a note of caution about credit card cash advances in general. In terms of not having cash advance fees, PenFed's credit cards are certainly the exception to the common banking rule for advances of fees, fees, fees.

So, before going down the path of a credit card cash advance either at the counter or by ATM at an international location, it becomes very important to check out and understand the terms and fees disclosures of that particular card.

The variations can get to be quite curious. For example, I was recently looking at the debit and credit cards offered by the State Department Federal Credit Union, another government service oriented credit union that also makes membership open to the general public via joining an association.

For whatever reasons, their debit card has a 1% foreign currency fee, but their credit card has no foreign currency fee. And with their credit card, you can do counter cash advances with no fee from SDFCU. But if you use the same credit card to do an ATM cash advance, SDFCU will charge you a flat $3 fee.

post-58284-0-49898300-1392489769_thumb.j

https://www.sdfcu.org/emv-creditcards

And that's a somewhat kind-hearted credit union. if you start getting into the credit card products offered by the various mega banks, that's where the foreign currency % fees and cash advance fees and really hefty cash advance interest rates really begin to pile up. So cash advancer beware.

Let me also, meanwhile, add a note of caution about credit card cash advances in general. In terms of not having cash advance fees, PenFed's credit cards are certainly the exception to the common banking rule for advances of fees, fees, fees.

So, before going down the path of a credit card cash advance either at the counter or by ATM at an international location, it becomes very important to check out and understand the terms and fees disclosures of that particular card.

The variations can get to be quite curious. For example, I was recently looking at the debit and credit cards offered by the State Department Federal Credit Union, another government service oriented credit union that also makes membership open to the general public via joining an association.

For whatever reasons, their debit card has a 1% foreign currency fee, but their credit card has no foreign currency fee. And with their credit card, you can do counter cash advances with no fee from SDFCU. But if you use the same credit card to do an ATM cash advance, SDFCU will charge you a flat $3 fee.

attachicon.gifPS1207.jpg

And that's a somewhat kind-hearted credit union. if you start getting into the credit card products offered by the various mega banks, that's where the foreign currency % fees and cash advance fees and really hefty cash advance interest rates really begin to pile up. So cash advancer beware.

As an aside, SDFCU also has the lowest SWIFT fee that I have found. $20 will get you as much as you want to send to Thailand

That's interesting, LM, and indeed, that's one of the best international wire transfer rates I've seen from a U.S. bank or credit union.

Previously, I had looked at SDFCU as a possible option for folks here, because they have an Advantage Checking account that refunds up to $15 per month in ATM fees if you carry a balance of at least $2000, have at least a $200 a month direct deposit and use their debit card for POS at least 10 times per statement cycle.

But the checking option, for me, ended up being a bit less advantageous than some of the other checking accounts we've discussed here because SDFCU has the 1% foreign currency fee on their debit card, the monthly direct deposit requirement, and it not being clear to me whether the $15 a month in reimbursement would just cover just regular ATM use fees or also the 1% FCF.

However, now in the post AEON world, their VISA Platinum credit card looks like it has a decent feature set, especially for someone who expects to be doing bank counter cash advances (although the credit card's $3 fee for ATM cash advances is unfortunate). But the good points of their credit card include: no foreign currency fee, no cash advance fee and no annual fee, and the card is chipped as well.

One other thing PFCU and SDFCU have in common is they both list a $2 fee they charge for use of ATMs other than those in their networks. I've been meaning to ask whether that fee only applies to debit card activities (which it clearly does for both) or whether it also would apply to use of their credit cards in out-of-network ATMs, such as with doing credit card ATM cash advances.

Yesterday when trying the debit card for a cash advance the answer was "can not" for debit card but "can" for credit card.

The measly reverse interchange fee (reimbursement) bank owners receive for ATM transactions, as previously discussed, dictates they point you to the ATM machine (and thus the 150/180 baht fee). Counter transactions for debit/ATM cards are a nuisance, 'cause all they get is the same ATM reimbursement, but no 150/180 baht fee. Cash advances (which by definition means a credit card, not a debit card, transaction) are more lucrative for the bank/ATM owner. And is why, if you stick your credit card in a Thai ATM machine, ask for cash advance, you'll not be charged the 150 baht -- 'cause it's differently encoded from an ATM transaction. And certainly means more reimbursement to the dispenser of the cash. Not sure what the flat fee is -- but there is a percentage involved, thus the more dispensed, the happier the dispenser. So, no wonder a cash advance (vs. counter ATM transaction) was happily received at the counter.

Normally, this is a 'win, win, lose' situation, with you the loser, since not only do you pay instant interest (at a higher than POS rate), but also a percentage fee (Capital One is 3%, or $10). The issuing bank, then, gets a nice return for this cash advance, which he willingly shares with the dispenser of the cash. In such a situation, using a debit/ATM card that even charges fees, and doesn't reimburse the 150/180 baht fee, would be superior to a cash advance.

So, what's Penfed up to with this no fee? Maybe a loss leader ('cause the reimbursement they're paying the dispenser isn't changing) to make their card attractive to more folks......? Is there some gimmick with the interest, even when carrying a credit balance.?

Pib, certainly will be interested in how this all works out (any info on when they stopped charging their cash advance fee, i.e., is this maybe a blue light special of limited duration)?

Nope, no Blue Light Special.... PenFed has had these cards for years. I never paid attention to the no fee Cash Advance part; I only got one of their credit cards for the no fee purchases outside the United States and to have a backup card from another company in case my no foreign transaction fee for purchases CapOne credit cards ever changed their policy and started to charge a fee... as you mentioned CapOne does charge a fee for cash advances. Maybe PenFed is just making more than enough from the interest earned off of cash advances which I expect most people take awhile to pay back... and then you have the more fee-hungry banks who what to heap on a upfront cash advance fee also. Heck, for no local l ATM fee charged on foriegn cards withdrawals I think most of us deep down were surprised AEON did not charge the 150 baht fee Thai banks started charging years ago... and knew some day even AEON would start inflicting this high fee on foreign cards...that day has arrived... bankers in Thailand just love us farangs for our fee paying capabilities.

I'll go visit Lady AEON ATM today, slide my PenFed credit card in and see if she wants to charge me 150 baht.... will report back later today assuming Lady AEON ATM is working today... occasionally she's displays a screen that she's not putting out right now.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

I'll go visit Lady AEON ATM today, slide my PenFed credit card in and see if she wants to charge me 150 baht....

To paraphrase the famous anthropologist Margaret Mead:

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can find every possible means of avoiding having to pay 150b to Thai banks every time they need to withdraw funds from their home bank accounts. smile.png

I'll go visit Lady AEON ATM today, slide my PenFed credit card in and see if she wants to charge me 150 baht.

Of course, you don't have to make a special effort to use Aeon, as they're now just like every other ATM machine in charging 150 baht. Is the Aeon machine the most convenient for you? Isn't there a bank closer to you than the shopping mall with the Aeon machine? If so, you then have the added feature of an easier retrieval of an eaten card (well, not on Sunday).

But, if using Aeon, see if a "cash advance" will deliver more than 20,000 (as maybe that feature is just for debit/ATM cards, 'cause we know the machine can physically deliver 40 notes).

There is one problem I see with using a CC over a DC to make is ATM withdrawals. When you make a DC ATM withdrawal the date of the transaction is normally when the rate is determined by Visa/MC but with a CC it may take several days to settle just like a normal CC purchase and that is when the rate is determined, so timing the CC withdrawal at the end of your statement cycle may be a bit tricky unless you did it 3 or 4 days before and don't mind paying interest for those days.

Btw, last year, I did a number of Schwab DC counter withdrawals and those transactions also took several days to settle and get the rate. In fact, I remember losing about $10 on a very large withdrawal because the rate went down between the transaction date and settlement date. A number small quirk, the transactions were visible on the 1st day and then disappeared for about 2 to 3 days and re-appeared when they were finally posted. Even my balance didn't get updated until the transactions re-appeared. These counter transactions kinda acts like CC cash advance without the interest.

Note: I always wondered if these substantial withdrawals using my Schwab DC created a red flag and got my account cancelled even though I had a US address. Some food for thought for those of you with the Schwab card.

I'll go visit Lady AEON ATM today, slide my PenFed credit card in and see if she wants to charge me 150 baht.

Of course, you don't have to make a special effort to use Aeon, as they're now just like every other ATM machine in charging 150 baht. Is the Aeon machine the most convenient for you? Isn't there a bank closer to you than the shopping mall with the Aeon machine? If so, you then have the added feature of an easier retrieval of an eaten card (well, not on Sunday).

But, if using Aeon, see if a "cash advance" will deliver more than 20,000 (as maybe that feature is just for debit/ATM cards, 'cause we know the machine can physically deliver 40 notes).

Actually when I go visit Lady AEON ATM in my nearby mall she seats right next to other ladies of night from Thai banks, like Bangkok Bank and others. The wife and I need to make a Lotus grocery run today anyway. I do have an ATM in a small mom-and-pop hardware store right outside my moobaan gate but I would only use that ATM if I was desperate...it just seems to open for skimmers to comprise that ATM....and then I have a bunch of Thai bank ATMs at a PTT fuel station/Jiffy store and a SCB branch a couple kilometers away on my way to the Lotus mall about 5 kilometers away.

At the Lotus mall I may slide my card in those other Ladies of the Night who have Thai bank pimps to see how the ladies respond. However, but, I may only try the Lady AEON today for a small amount because the Visa Police may get suspicious if they see an attempt made from two ATMs this morning right after a large counter withdrawal yesterday. Even though I may cancel the transaction rather than going through with the transaction, the Visa Police still see & evaluate cancelled or completed transactions. Like the Visa Police rep told me one time when they called me to confirm if it was me who had done one AEON ATM transaction closely followed by a second AEON transaction within minutes of the first transaction (the only such call I have got over the years of using debit/credit cards in Thailand), the rep said right now they have around 758 flags for transactions...some of these flags are standard for any Visa logo card issued by any bank and some flags are optional for the card-issuing bank to use.

Yea, I'll just try Lady AEON today to satisfy my curiosity unless someone tries it before then to get the answer. And if Lady AEON don't want to charge a fee for credit cards I will try a Thai bank ATM later on this coming week for a small amount.

"Physically" AEON could deliver Bt40K when AEON allowed that much in one transaction, but as we found out several months ago AEON put a governor/limited on their ATMs to only allow B20K per transaction even though the ATM was designed to deliver more if programmed to allow. Once again, trying a large withdrawal this morning right after the large counter withdrawal yesterday may raise a Visa Police flag so I will just chance a small transaction today (say 5,000 baht) which hopefully won't raise any Visa Police flag. And if I do get a Visa Police call I will just say yea that was indeed me who made a large counter withdrawal yesterday for deposit into a saving account, but today I realized I needed a little more pocket money.

Hopefully, over the coming hours and days more credit card tests at ATMs by those who want to give their credit card a try will provide a clearer picture...heck, I'm sure there are people out there who have tried it already even if they knew when making the ATM withdrawal using a credit card that their card issuing bank had a healthy cash advance fee. Anyone out there who has used a credit card recently in an ATM?....did the ATM charge you a Bt150/Bt180 foreign card fee (not to be confused with a fee your card-issuing bank may have charged)?

I zipped a few thousand dollars across the world yesterday using Bitcoin, transfer cost US$0.38. It arrived in 45 minutes.

How much was the Bitcoin valued then since the Bitcoin value has been fluctuating all over the map lately. See this news story which I also saw on CNN and BBC TV news a few days ago. Link

I zipped a few thousand dollars across the world yesterday using Bitcoin, transfer cost US$0.38. It arrived in 45 minutes.

How much was the Bitcoin valued then since the Bitcoin value has been fluctuating all over the map lately. See this news story which I also saw on CNN and BBC TV news a few days ago. Link

A little bit over US$6,000.

I was not spending, just transferring from one of my accounts to another.

I love to see it move so easily, no friction.

$6,000?
Interesting to say the least.
One bitcoin is currently buying about $US650 - nearly half of what it was a few months ago.

$6000 for a Bitcoin?! I thought it was down around $650 per Bitcoin right now? Maybe you meant to say $600 vs $6000...or you were talking the total amount you transferred? Link1 Link2

But hey, I'm like a caveman when it comes to knowledge on the Bitcoin. Cheers.

$6000 for a Bitcoin?! I thought it was down around $650 per Bitcoin right now? Maybe you meant to say $600 vs $6000...or you were talking the total amount you transferred? Link1 Link2

But hey, I'm like a caveman when it comes to knowledge on the Bitcoin. Cheers.

No, not US$6000 for a BitCoin. That was roughly the value of the Bitcoins I sent.

Bitcoin is trading in the US$600 to 700 range.

Archived