Bathroom renovation Chiang Mai

Janii

Need to renovate my condo bathroom and need more info about good company's and their prices for basic renovation works.

Bathroom is 5m2 and there is water leaking under the bathtub in shower area. There is visible mold and smell of mold.

Going to change everything in the bathroom from tiles to furniture and i'm going to shop everything new needed by myself.

Would be probably good that who ever renovates it would speak basic English.

• 1 year later...

Hi there Janii

I found your inquire about renovating a bathroom, I'm soon looking at doing the same in a couple of months

I'm looking at purchasing all the equipment and just hiring someone to assist me with tiling and fittings.

would you recommend anyone from your experience?

• 4 months later...

It would be most helpful to use someone, who knows what a toilet flange is, as opposed to three containers of caulk. Tile should be done under the toilet, not around it. And don't try to use a vanity cabinet on a floor that is sloped for drainage...which is most of them. Also, they seem to be using plastic strips on corners instead of 45 degree cuts on the tile....functional; but sloppy.

It would be most helpful to use someone, who knows what a toilet flange is, as opposed to three containers of caulk. Tile should be done under the toilet, not around it. And don't try to use a vanity cabinet on a floor that is sloped for drainage...which is most of them. Also, they seem to be using plastic strips on corners instead of 45 degree cuts on the tile....functional; but sloppy.

Hey Bangmai, when did you get a chance to see our bathroom?

I hate the room, but everything still works (sort of) and the shower is walk-in, so we don't have the safety hazard of stepping into a tub to take showers, so it's difficult to get motivated to shell out the baht to remodel the room, esp. when no one can come up with glowing reviews of a local contractor to do the job.

Interesting how a similar query about kitchen remodeling a while back garnered several very good recommendations, but absolutely nothing useful for bathroom renovation. We thought that bathroom remodeling might be our 2016 home improvement project.

Bathrooms can be difficult to remodel and usually require a DIY home-owner or at least 2 trades - tiler and plumber. I prefer to do my own vanity/toilet/shower plumbing and have a tiler do his part ... finding a good tiler to do condo work may be difficult as very time consuming.

One can tile over existing in some instances but small spaces like bathrooms usually require old tile removal, especially where new toilet pan placement is concerned. And as Thighlander/Bangmai knows, Thai installers usually bung the pan down on a pile of silicon or mortar and hope for a seal. Not good!

I recommend HomePro for advice and planning, but beware, it will be exxy. Check also with Home Sukkapan whether they have a contractor who will quote.

Good luck.

I had bought the proper flanges at American Standard out HD Road, almost to HD City...but that was 9 years ago, and I don't think they are open, anymore. A few of the other AS Stores were completely useless. Some of the higher end toilets will come with their own flange, but they are also screwed into the floor in various ways. At 180 for a tube of good silicon sealant, you will get your money back pretty quickly on the flange...but some of the tilers have never seen one....and another major problem is the hole being too close to the wall.

Your tile will cost around 10-15k baht, Cement, grout, decorative trim etc. will probably be another 2-3k baht.

I removed all my old tile, toilets, etc. It took me about 3 days 4-6 hours a day. So if you hired a crew to do this, you will probably pay another 3-5k baht including removal.

most likely it will take a small crew 7-10 days and cost an average of 10-15k baht. Slightly more if they have to do more for the tub. Tubs tend to increase the cost quickly as they are not standard for most.

If you want a specific phone number for the crew that I have used, let me know in a PM.

I would certainly say buy the plastic toilet flange, no grout / cement needed

The 4in flange fits into the 4in soil pipe, so no leaks ...you then mount the toilet onto of the flange and the toilet locks in position

Cheap, I think I paid about Baht 500 ish

Was surprised to see Villeroy-Boch on 108 Hang Dong road in the large DIY store next to Mitsubishi garage, it's almost opposite to Koolpuntville 9. Prices were not yet available, but they have a show room.

Villeroy-Boch bought up Nahm in Thailand recently.

Typical Lanna decorative clay tiles for bathroom and others are available at Paradorn. They should be able to provide or advise for a prefered installer.

http://paradorn.co.th/showcase

Edited by Thorgal

I would certainly say buy the plastic toilet flange, no grout / cement needed

The 4in flange fits into the 4in soil pipe, so no leaks ...you then mount the toilet onto of the flange and the toilet locks in position

Cheap, I think I paid about Baht 500 ish

it's all good until you discover that the flange is too close to the wall.