Retirement visa with no money in the bank

I am from the US. Have a retirement visa. Own my condo. Receive in excess of $3000 per month income. Have a Thai bank account but never allow my account in Thailand to go over 100K THB, for safety reasons. No one at Immigration ever asked me to have any money in the bank here.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is legal in Thailand ??????????????

I have one of the said visas, and have done for some years.

I think you will find (from my personal experience) that if the

authorities look into your receipt of the visa, all the paperwork

was 100% in tact at the time of application and therefore your entitlement of the

retirement visa is as valid as anybody elses.

One alternative that seems to have been missed is as follows: Thai Immigration requires for a retirement visa either 800K in the bank or 65K per month income from any source such as a pension or bank interest etc. You do not have to fulfill both options. So if you can prove that you have a +65K monthly income then you will qualify. Beats having your money lying around in a Thai bank earning next to no interest.

Failing that I have friends who have successfully gone by the "Know someone in the Pattaya Immigration office" path very successfully and for about half of what has been mentioned on some of the posts.

A cautionary tale.

For many years, when my 30 day visa exempt stamp was about to expire, I would go to the immigration sub-office in Patong, Phuket.

You would hand over your passport during the week and get it back on the Monday with a new 30 day stamp. The cost was 2500 Bt. A really convenient service put on by Phuket immigration. Nothing dodgy, there was even a sign advertising this on the wall of their office.

Put my passport in on a Friday sometime in 2002. Went back to collect it on the following Monday and was told that the passports weren't there and to come back the next day.

Came back Tuesday and was told to come back the next day as the man with the passports was still "sick".

On Wednesday, the immigration guys finally admitted that the passports were in Bangkok after Bangkok Immigration busted their guy on the Malaysian border and that if I wanted my passport back, I would have to go to Bangkok.

They gave me money for a return flight and told me to keep my mouth shut about their involvement should we be questioned.

The next day, I flew to Bangkok and went straight to the main immigration building. I was told by an officer that was dealing with this case that "interviews" would start the next day and to come back tomorrow.

Next day came back to immigration. Of the 84 holders of the passports that had been taken, there were only four of us present in Bangkok.

We were questioned and asked why we took part in an illegal operation. It was clear that they were trying to make out that we were the bad guys. When told that we handed our passports over to genuine, uniformed immigration officials, we naturally assumed that it was legal. They were not happy with these answers.

The four of us were finger-printed, strip-searched, manacles put round our ankles and thrown in to IDC. The arresting immigration official was very embarrassed but, told us that the order from on high was to throw the book at us.

The four of us spent two days and two nights in IDC when we were released.

It seems that on the day after we were interrogated, another 20 or so of the 84 turned up and someone sensible realised that if these people were also put in IDC, there would be a diplomatic incident as the European embassies had already caught wind of what was going on.

Many months later, I heard what the true story was.

The immigration sub-office in Patong, who were running this service, were not giving enough "commission" to the main immigration office in Phuket Town, so, an immigration officer at the main office ratted them out to internal affairs in Bangkok. Yup.......I spent time in lock-up because of a row between immigration officers.

There was a lot of money at stake. It was during the low season and that weekends run was with 84 passports. 2500 Bt X 84 = 210,000 Bt.

After this event was when all those signs went up around the kingdom stating that visa runs had to be done by the individual and that giving your passport to agents to do the visa run was illegal.

The point of this post is that this extension without the money IS ILLEGAL, even if it is being supported by immigration officials.

It will be YOU that gets blamed should this house of cards collapses.

• Like 1

My personal view is that if you can't show the paltry amount in a bank account, you're in the wrong place, and should consider returning home to draw the aged pension or whatever social security benefits you can claim. Being on the bones of your a$$ in Thailand would not be a good situation in which to find yourself.

Is the required amount B400,000? That's not much over $10,000 !!!

YES! IT CAN BE DONE. YOU NEED PROOF OF INCOME FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRY.

FOR MARRIED PERSON IN THAILAND YOU NEED TO PROVE AN INCOME OF 40K BAHT A MONTH. OR 60K BAHT A MONTH IF NOT MARRIED. YOU ALSO WILL NEED A STATUTORY DECLARATION OR A LETTER FROM YOUR EMBASSY SUPPORTING YOUR EVIDENCE OF INCOME.

IF YOU CAN SUPPORT THIS , YOU SHOULD HAVE NO ISSUES.

IS EASIER IF YOU HAVE THAI BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING YOUR FUNDS TRANSFERS. OF AT LEAST 40K BAHT PER MONTH FOR MARRIED MAN.

Don't post in all caps. It is considered SHOUTING!! and for that reason rude.

If not married, an extension can be based on retirement if over 50. In that case the income must be 65,000 a month and not 60,000.

Of course there is also the option of a comnbination of money in the bank and yearly income if going for retirement.

if you are married to a thai lady and have 400k in the bank,and having a monthly pension of at least 400k,there is no problem to do it legal,and have no worrys.????????????

Based on marriage to a Thai woman you need to show an income of 40,000 baht a month(can be from abroad) OR show 400,000 baht in a bankaccount in Thailand in your name, for at least 2 months prior to applying.

• Like 1

So, I was wodnering that if I should start lending people 800k a head, on a secured account from where the borrower cannot withdraw it

How would that work?

The lender would have to hold onto the borrower's passport for the 3+ months else the borrower could go to the bank branch with passport and say (for whatever reason) he needs a new passbook

I know that it's not legal. I've been living in Thailand for some time and I know what "legal" means here. If the stamps are real, isn't it enough?

If it's not legal and you know it's not legal, then it shouldn't be discussed, let along promoted in these forums.

Have you, or anyone here, ever commented on any illegal activity? Of course we have. If everything that was illegal was banned from from being discussed here then it'd be a pretty quiet forum. The current protests/protesters where they contravene the SoE comes to mind just as an obvious example.

So, I was wodnering that if I should start lending people 800k a head, on a secured account from where the borrower cannot withdraw it

How would that work?

The lender would have to hold onto the borrower's passport for the 3+ months else the borrower could go to the bank branch with passport and say (for whatever reason) he needs a new passbook

Alternatively, the borrower could get a new passport and use that as ID to withdraw the cash?

How would that work?

Alternatively, the borrower could get a new passport and use that as ID to withdraw the cash?

I don't think the bank would be too happy to see the passport number has changed without seeing both old and new passports -- maybe also bring in your police report for your stolen passport and bank passbook?

Domu,what are you doing here if you dont even have money for a proper visa?

We already have enough cheap charly 's here causing problems for us all!

You give us a bad name by doing all these illigal things,we are already regarded as

bums by immigration people .coffee1.gif

What is legal in Thailand ??????????????

I have one of the said visas, and have done for some years.

I think you will find (from my personal experience) that if the

authorities look into your receipt of the visa, all the paperwork

was 100% in tact at the time of application and therefore your entitlement of the

retirement visa is as valid as anybody elses.

How long was it seasoned for,3 months or 3 seconds approx.I think you will find the later.

You give us a bad name by doing all these illigal things,we are already regarded as

I am a cheap charlie but absolutely no problem to you or anyone.........thumbsup.gif

As for your "bums" comment, why would immigration treat you, a pillar of farang society, like a bum ?

• Like 1

This is illegal I thought such threads were not allowed?

Because it is common practice and the Mods have the good sense and judgement to let it run.

It is informative for everyone and useful to anyone choosing to go down this route.

Remember - putting a stamp in a foreigners passport is totally at the discretion of the immigration officer. How can that be illegal ?

• Like 1

I am a cheap charlie but absolutely no problem to you or anyone.........thumbsup.gif

As for your "bums" comment, why would immigration treat you, a pillar of farang society, like a bum ?

I have always found that immigration treat people as they find them............... maybe that is why he is treated like a bum smile.png

Edited by Jip99
  • Like 1

I have always found that immigration treat people as they find them............... maybe taht is why he is treated like a bum smile.png

Absolutely correct. thumbsup.gif

I can't vouch for the truth of this,,,, but a drinking buddy of mine claims that every year, he borrows the required amount ( for 2 days only) from his local bank manager ( not sure i should say which bank, so i won't) ,,,,The bank then prints the required paperwork ( Statements), and he repays the money 2 days later ( After he's been to immigration and has his visa)( with interest and a nice bottle of whisky). Says it's all legal and has done it for years, ( I suspect the immigration officer receives a nice gift also). He's on a retirement visa BTW.

Edited by lucifer666

I know that it's not legal. I've been living in Thailand for some time and I know what "legal" means here. If the stamps are real, isn't it enough?

If it's not legal and you know it's not legal, then it shouldn't be discussed, let along promoted in these forums.

Yes dad, sorry dad.

• Like 2

1. This weeks 'Panorama' might be of interest to Brits on this thread.

2. Instead of looking at illegal options how about the OP's wife pursuing a case for sex discrimination or her right to family life, given foreign women get a free pass when married to Thai men.

Edited by evadgib