Retirement visa with no money in the bank

Hi everybody,

Since a few monthes, I see advertisments for O visas with no money in the bank on this website. Does it really works? Does any of you experienced it? Because I'm married, I actually go every year to Sawanakhet, but I could save quite a lot of time doiing it this way.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several ways it can be considered illegal. The most viable is fraud dependent how it is done.

I cannot recommend it.

One thing to consider is the 25k to 30K baht it will cost worth it to save the you spend on border runs.

Also since you only need 400k baht in the bank to an extension based upon marriage to a Thai there might be a legitimate way to get the funds.

• Like 1

I know that it's not legal. I've been living in Thailand for some time and I know what "legal" means here. If the stamps are real, isn't it enough?

I doubt anyone will encourage the proposed venture.

This must be a personal decision which includes an acceptance of the risks.

• Like 1

To say truth, a completely LEGAL way to meet requirements exists, in case you borrow money and pay interest. This cost from 15 to (much likely) 25-30k, anything secured by lawyer, so you can't withdraw and run away. This is pretty legal way for someone, who not able to secure this amount.

Edited by MeowBundit

You are responsible that all documents you submit are real.

Getting a loan is not illegal, what would be illegal is to submit papers that suggest that you have a certain income while you have not or papers that suggest that you have a certain amount in the bank for a certain amount of time while that is not the case. That is a serious offence for which you can and will be prosecuted and jailed.

In the past people with fake degrees have been arrested and jailed.

• Like 1

I know that it's not legal. I've been living in Thailand for some time and I know what "legal" means here. If the stamps are real, isn't it enough?

If it's not legal and you know it's not legal, then it shouldn't be discussed, let along promoted in these forums.

Fortunately, the Mods have let this, and an earlier thread, run.

Buying a retirement extension has been common practice for years. In Thailand it is regarded as paying for a service - in reality it is corrupt opportunism on the part of the immigration officers.

The fact is that it happens and people have two choices.

Being able to discuss its existence is a good thing and broadens knowledge of what goes on in Thailand. Those who want to pursue the 12,000 Baht extensions will very quickly find out how to do so.

I was wondering, how much could you actually charge for the 800k deposit?

The requirements for the visa (if I recall correctly) state that you have to hold the money in your account. It does not state that the money cannot be borrowed.

So, I was wodnering that if I should start lending people 800k a head, on a secured account from where the borrower cannot withdraw it, then I earn all the fees as gains on my investment, totally risk free? So if the statement needs to show the funds on the account for at least 3 months, I could play it safe and round it off to 4 months, which means the amount turns over 3 times a year. If I charge 15k a pop, then the 800k yields 45k per annum (5,6%) which is far better than what the banks pay for (farang) deposits...

A farang could make this a 100% sound proof business with around 10M of capital, if he lives modestly (47k/month) clap2.gif

...or not, any obstacles?

The requirements for the visa (if I recall correctly) state that you have to hold the money in your account. It does not state that the money cannot be borrowed.

So, I was wodnering that if I should start lending people 800k a head, on a secured account from where the borrower cannot withdraw it, then I earn all the fees as gains on my investment, totally risk free? So if the statement needs to show the funds on the account for at least 3 months, I could play it safe and round it off to 4 months, which means the amount turns over 3 times a year. If I charge 15k a pop, then the 800k yields 45k per annum (5,6%) which is far better than what the banks pay for (farang) deposits...

A farang could make this a 100% sound proof business with around 10M of capital, if he lives modestly (47k/month) clap2.gif

I fail to understand what a "secured account" would be, and how Immigration can accept such an account where the "holder" does not have access to the funds that are exactly supposed to be his/hers.

Actually I can imagine a way to work around that, but it would have to be a Thai way, run by powerful Thais conniving with Thai civil servants in order to get money from foreigners.

------------------

Not really.

You can assume that someone was paid off to get those dodgy stamps outside of the normal channels.

Now if somehow this fact is discovered, who will be the "fall guy" that has to pay and/or suffer for that action.

The official who took the "bribe"? Nope.

The company who arranged the visa and paid the "bribe"? Nope.

The Farang who was involved in the process of getting the visa?

Oh yes, let's blame it all on the Faramg.

(if you don't understand that, you must not have been in Thailand very long..

Because the farang is the one who has the dodgy visa, let's blame him and maybe kick him out of the country.

It's called the "Sucker's Bet".

Because if you win the bet you win very little, but if you lose the bet, you lose a lot.

You're a "sucker" to make a bet like that.

• Like 1

------------------

Not really.

You can assume that someone was paid off to get those dodgy stamps outside of the normal channels.

Now if somehow this fact is discovered, who will be the "fall guy" that has to pay and/or suffer for that action.

Because the farang is the one who has the dodgy visa, let's blame him and maybe kick him out of the country.

Because if you win the bet you win very little, but if you lose the bet, you lose a lot.

I live here for 8 years with legal visas and I have an income from my country, but it's not a monthly income and it is not valid for immigration. I asked the question because they advertise right now at the bottom of this page. Amazing country were you can advertise for somrthing illigal!

Only one obstacle I can think of... getting the money back once it's in someone else's account. Especially considering that the vast majority of folks you'd be loaning to, have already demonstrated they're in a financial bind. Not bad people, but people who don't have 400K or 800K when they need it.

I suspect that any account that the applicant can't access (and drain) won't qualify for a retirement visa. Once they've drained the account to buy a ticket home and set themselves up in an apartment back in the old country, I suspect your options to collect are greatly diminished.

Are you sure they are real

They look as real as yours does.

Yes, likely it is just a blue ink stamp in a passport with a few scribbling signatures.

Just that twinge at the back of your neck when the immigration guy taps the details into his computer at the airport to consider.

And the one day they decide all those signed/approved by Somboon with the new car are to be reviewed, likely, not so, possible, maybe.

I know a number of people who have borrowed the funds to qualify for a retirement visa.

A good deal of personal trust is involved, but they do hand over their bank book and plastic card.

One has a pension, and in time managed to save enough to pay back the original amount.

Seems perfectly legal to me.

------------------

Not really.

I live here for 8 years with legal visas and I have an income from my country, but it's not a monthly income and it is not valid for immigration. I asked the question because they advertise right now at the bottom of this page. Amazing country were you can advertise for somrthing illigal!

I think you, like many others, are possibly under the mistaken illusion that the income has to be proved to immigration. The actual process is not like that. I am on a retirement visa based on income which is the combination of incomes from 3 countries, none of which are my passport country. All perfectly legal and I do the application myself at my local immigration office without "friends" to help me out (for a fee) :)

Where I live it is the Immi officers themselves who are offering and running the operation. They may have an agent as a "go between" but they have the bank accts and are putting up the money in the bank so that they can have the necessary paperwork in order.

The person who wants the stamps deposits whatever the amount is that is necessary to get to the 800K amount, usually 20-25k. The money is deposited and once confirmed then they hand over the passport to the agent and get it back with the stamps, usually the same day.

The Immi officer withdraws the payoff amount, pays off the agent, and the rest stays in the bank for the next go-round.

Why do you think it is not valid for immigration.

For extensions based upon marriage it states an average monthly income of 40k baht. Meaning if you gross 480 k baht a year you can use it.

Have you checked with your embassy about getting an income letter.

If it's not legal and you know it's not legal, then it shouldn't be discussed, let along promoted in these forums.

Fortunately, the Mods have let this, and an earlier thread, run.

Buying a retirement extension has been common practice for years. In Thailand it is regarded as paying for a service - in reality it is corrupt opportunism on the part of the immigration officers.

The fact is that it happens and people have two choices.

Being able to discuss its existence is a good thing and broadens knowledge of what goes on in Thailand. Those who want to pursue the 12,000 Baht extensions will very quickly find out how to do so.

"Fortunately, the Mods have let this, and an earlier thread, run."

I don't think fortune has anything to do with it.

Since a few monthes, I see advertisments for O visas with no money in the bank on this website

"Being able to discuss its existence is a good thing"

In other words we should throw open the gates and discuss the beginners guide to prostitution, how to bribe officials and how to profit from drug dealing and arson? All these things exist, so let's get everyone involved ... and then pontificate about how deplorable things are here in Thailand, especially the corrupt opportunism.

slope.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

A friend of mine, who lives in Pattaya ,has used the 'Non Regular route for acquiring the extension to his 'O' Visa

In 2005 it cost him 15000 Baht

2013 12,000 Baht

and no hassle..

His visa is as good as mine and I have to queue.

Correct Delight---I expected the reaction from people who have never had one from this source. It does all sounds very shady to them--and it did to me the first time. I have only lived in Thailand about 14 years, but there have been numerous times when I havent meet the criteria (usually having 800K+ around) for getting one--the first time when I went to immigration in a well known seaside town, they were the people that directed me to the outside agent, & smiled at me every time I came for my 90 days.since then I have lived in 2 different area's in Thailand and used that method the odd time. Cost was 13K.

I haven't needed it since being on the married / retired visa now for some years, but know plenty of people who do use it.

Is it 100% legal--- I doubt it.... is it safe,-- because of the parties involved---Usually