Boeing wins US$1.45 billion order from Thailand's Nok Air

webfact

Thailand's Nok Air to buy 15 B737s worth $1.45 billion

SINGAPORE, February 12, 2014 (AFP) - Thai budget carrier Nok Air on Wednesday committed to buy 15 B737s from Boeing worth $1.45 billion.

The commitment, announced at the Singapore Airshow, is for eight next-generation 737-800s and seven 737 MAX 8s, Nok Air and Boeing said.

"This commitment is a major step in our growth strategy," Nok Air chief executive Patee Sarasin said in a statement.
"The 737 is the backbone of our fleet and will continue to be in the future."

Speaking at a news conference, Patee said that his airline would order more planes in the future but would take a more cautious approach compared to other low-cost carriers.

"There's going to be more aircraft coming in," he said.

"We have a lot of competitors who love to buy 200 or 300 aircraft," he said, citing Tony Fernandes, the chief executive of Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia.

"He bought so many aircraft, and currently he doesn't know where to fly to. Our strategy will not be the same as Tony Fernandes," he added.

"We actually plan our strategy in terms of destinations we fly to first, before we order our aircraft."

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-02-12

seems a bit steep price wise and the Max variant will be a while comingsmile.png

You are right, 1.45 billion USD reflect the list price, but no airline pays list prices.

Boeing offers standard discounts of around 45%.and even higher for large, strategic orders.

So it seems that the kickbacks are factored in. whistling.gif

Nok Air boss Patee is showing a lot of swagger, calling out Mr. Tony Fernandes, the Big Dog of Asian low cost airlines. I wish both Nok Air and Thai Air Asia great continued success. They both serve this country very well. Look for Tony F. to return the shot soon. He likes to have crazy bets with competitors. Richard Branson once came out on the losing end of one of those friendly wagers.

• Like 1

Nok Air boss Patee is showing a lot of swagger, calling out Mr. Tony Fernandes, the Big Dog of Asian low cost airlines. I wish both Nok Air and Thai Air Asia great continued success. They both serve this country very well. Look for Tony F. to return the shot soon. He likes to have crazy bets with competitors. Richard Branson once came out on the losing end of one of those friendly wagers.

Agree..seems like Patee is biting off more than he can chew there..quite bizarre actually.IMO

I think TAA 's continuing success speaks volumes for their business strategies...

You have to ask yourself why somebody would buy, then gloat about buying a machine that is noisier, dirtier, more cramped and flies like a brick. Then critisises the man that flies the most advanced short haul people carrier on the planet.

One can only hope t was worth it.

You have to ask yourself why somebody would buy, then gloat about buying a machine that is noisier, dirtier, more cramped and flies like a brick. Then critisises the man that flies the most advanced short haul people carrier on the planet.

What a load of shit mate the latest 737's are very advanced. Also the 737 are the longest running passenger plane ever and the safest.

• Like 2

So, the Nokair F...s with Airasia? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The Nokair's aircraft machine stock can go tomorrow to any air transport museum.

What's wrong with an average age of 8.7 yrs for their 737 fleet? You are not very good in using computers for fact finding purposes aren't you?
  • Like 1

Boeing should get most of the Thai money up front. Deals with Thais turn sour and south very quickly. Get money up front or walk away. Thailand is not worth the risk for the piddling amount of business that they are willing to commit to.

If the aircraft flies as badly as you say, I wonder why it is the top selling aircraft in the history of airline manufacturing and why there are more of them flying than any other aircraft? I have flown in both aircraft types and as a passenger, there is little difference. The 737 of course has evolved greatly since its introduction. For a pilots, some prefer one over the other as Airbus controls and Boeing's do differ.

the farmers can starve whilst the banks lend money to nok air and property speculators

Were does it say they are borrowing money from banks?

Plus, even if they were, this is a commercial venture, that is well planned, has a structure, probably a believable budget and stands a goodly chance of being profitable.

Compare and contrast.

For those who objected to my aeroplane comments, often in less than eloquent terms, should, perhaps do a bit more research first. And yes, I have flown.

Boeing, under pressure from the American Pilots' Unions left a high degree of manual operation in flying the plane. In effect "leaving the choice to to pilot of the manner in which his passengers would die." Words like "lamb" and "mutton" come to mind.

For those who objected to my aeroplane comments, often in less than eloquent terms, should, perhaps do a bit more research first. And yes, I have flown.

Boeing, under pressure from the American Pilots' Unions left a high degree of manual operation in flying the plane. In effect "leaving the choice to to pilot of the manner in which his passengers would die." Words like "lamb" and "mutton" come to mind.

Ohhhh dear, all is clear with your second post. One eyed airbus man.

Seriously, you can't be serious that you think less stick time for pilots is actually a better thing. IMHO Automation in the passenger airline industry is a very dangerous thing. Have you forgotten about AF447. Pilots that couldn't fly the latest and greatest airbus (at the time) the airbus A330. Of course your going to say pilot error but that crash went a lot further than pilot error. Let's face it, it basically went like this, ice blocks pitot, auto pilot turns itself off dUe to conflicting speed information. PILOT makes error (probably due to the fact he had little 'stick time'). Plane enters stall, pilot is confused about readings and fails to identify what has happened. It wasn't until a minute or so after re entering the cockpit the captain works out what is happening (which is somewhat understandable given the irregularity of the flight deck situation) but by that stage it's too late to recover the aircraft. I mean come on, stall recovery, it gets drilled into you virtually from day one. (Or use to).

Of course we won't even begin to talk about the dangerous design of the airbus where the two controls arnt linked and therefore neither pilot gets to know what input the other pilot is making.

Of course your going to argue now for more atomisation in the cockpit, when clearly young airline pilots arnt getting enough stick time. If computers are flying the planes ALL THE TIME, how on earth do you expect pilots to fly them when the computer turns itself off. As they did in AF447. Pilots around the world are screaming out for increased stick time, the bean counters running the airlines are producing SOPs prohibiting it. The authorities are allowing this dangerous situation to continue.

The aviation industry is entering dangerous times, that's for sure. Worse still accountants are being allowed to call the shots at airlines and furthermore the regulators of the industry are allowing 'Pay to fly' (P2F) to occur. Yes, things are getting really dangerous, such a shame considering the airline industry's past relative safe record. :(

Meanwhile the general public are too busy chasing the next cheapest $2 fare to even realise what's happening. I wonder how many plane loads of people have to die before some of these issues are addresses. I wonder if the cheap airfare chasers even realise what's occurring with some budget airlines that run P2F schemes and what a dangerous practice this is.

Without a doubt, automation is a good thing, but what's even more important is having pilots that know how to fly planes when the automation Fails. There is a balance there somewhere.

I'm not anti airbus Fordprefect, but I think your statements regarding the 737 are a bit rich, especially considering your probably only at either a passenger or perhaps piloting at ppl level, as clearly stating that you 'fly' doesn't really clarify much.

• Like 1