Forum upgrade in progress! ×

How to send money to Thai wife without fees

I regularly send money to my Thai wife using Western Union. The fees are high and exchange rates are terrible. How can I send money to her without paying so much in fees? I've though about sending her an ATM from my bank account in the US but she will still need to pay the foreign transaction fees.

Open a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand and send via the Bangkok Bank branch in NY, cheapest.

BKB actually recommend it, click 'Transferring into Thailand' on this page http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/Pages/TransferringFundsNew.aspx

It's discussed in several threads in this forum, try a search.

• Like 1

You can try this for larger amounts. Its 22 usd to send...so do not send smaller amounts, of course..

It can take 10-14 days, but you can do it online ...and plan ahead.

Also can lock in your rate....should the baht be up.

No debit/credit card required....

convenient and cheaper than Western Union, I think...

http://www.xe.com/xetrade/?WT.seg_1=XTR-TL-XHOM-XIN-XX-V01-131001

Tell somebody to stick it in an envelope ?

Since you are in the US find a bank that has no foreign currency exchange fees and reimburses you for ATM charges. Send her the ATM card and PIN. That is the only way now the AEON is no longer free of the 150-180 Baht Thai bank charge for using a foreign card

If you want 0 in fees, this is the solution.

I have a Thai bank account for which my Thai wife has a card and pin, into which I transfer money via Swift from my UK bank account. I send it in sterling and the Thai bank do the exchange at a better rate than the UK bank. It takes up to 4 days and the charge is £9.50.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Oishii

If you want to ensure that she receives a certain amount all you have to do is inform the bank you are using to Swift the money that all charges are to be paid by the remitter and that the beneficiary is to receive the full amount of ........... baht .

Edited by MMarlow

If you want to ensure that she receives a certain amount all you have to do is inform the bank you are using to Swift the money that all charges are to be paid by the remitter and that the beneficiary is to receive the full amount of ........... baht .

And your bank will forever love you - a very costly method as money would have to be sent in Baht and converting in US will likely be at a huge loss (large pocket money for your bank).

Open a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand and send via the Bangkok Bank branch in NY, cheapest.

BKB actually recommend it, click 'Transferring into Thailand' on this page http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/TransferingFunds/Pages/TransferringFundsNew.aspx

Can you open an account at BKB online?

Can you open an account at BKB online?

No