How Was The Scene Like In The 80's?

Saleen

Hi Guys,

Just been viewing some pic's here and on the web and came across some vintage pic's of the entertainment scene back in the 1980's. From the pic's and the comments I gather it was less mainstream and commercialized than what it is today. Can someone maybe paint a picture on how it differs from today? Eg. How were the women, entertainment districts and any other aspect that has dramtically changed in the past 20-25 years?

Some of the comments made were the usual "those were the good ol'days" type but really, other than the drinking and womanizing, has it really changed?

Would like to hear from those that experienced it.

Saleen

Hi Guys,

Just been viewing some pic's here and on the web and came across some vintage pic's of the entertainment scene back in the 1980's. From the pic's and the comments I gather it was less mainstream and commercialized than what it is today. Can someone maybe paint a picture on how it differs from today? Eg. How were the women, entertainment districts and any other aspect that has dramtically changed in the past 20-25 years?

Some of the comments made were the usual "those were the good ol'days" type but really, other than the drinking and womanizing, has it really changed?

Would like to hear from those that experienced it.

Saleen

I was in Thailand for about a month in 1977. I was traveling around Asia. I had been in India and Sri Lanka for about a year. Thailand seemed like paradise in comparison because you could get hamburgers and ice cream.

I haven't been back since then so I can't compare it to today, but from my reading here I can tell you a few things about how it seems to have changed.

I have been reading a thread about how bad the noise is now, and I don't remember a noise problem back then.

There was plenty of prostitution. Thailand had been the big place for Vietnam soilders to go on vacation. The vietnam war had ended and sexual tourism had not taken off yet and I think that left a huge prostitution industry without enough customers.

In 1977 no one had heard of AIDS. Herpes existed but was rare. Anything you got could be knocked out with anti biotics.

There were lots of interesting characters in Thailand. There were spiritual seekers who had spent time in India and were in Thailand checking out Buddhism. Also lots of drinking and drugs and people destroying themselves in that way.

I hope to come back sometime this year, so then I will be able to tell you more about how it is different.

WOW!! That thread is amazing and the stories were very interesting. Every aspect of what each poster contributed was great. I could just feel how each poster must have felt while recounting those events.

Sad to admit that when I visited Patong in 2002, that I envisioned it looking like the pictures that were downloaded from Patong 1980.