Whats the best way to do a Divorce?

barsteward

Two years back, I was ready to "Split The Sheet" and Siam Legal wanted 14,900 THB for uncontested and I did not want the house and car. Just walk away. Well, we are still together.

It will cost more to settle the house. If you have all the documents needed you should get half. I had a friend who owned 25 RAI and house in Buriram and the Court made his wife pay up half, actually her new boy friend paid it.

With marriage it is not the initial investment, it is the maintenance and up-keep !!

Welcome to LOS !!

Interesting. I have NEVER come across a case of a falang being awarded half of the proceeds of a house sale following a divorce. If you have any more details of the Buriram case, I am sure lots of guys out there who have sunk a big chunk of their savings into the family home would appreciate hearing them. I would for one, as I was under the impression that the documents one is obliged to sign at the Land Registry effectively sign away any claim to ownership.

Presumably, the new boyfriend who paid the falang his share of the house and land was also a falang?!!

Technically at the Bureau of Land Management you do sign away rights to the home. For we lawyers or corporation owners, it can be a different story, but in divorce court, 50/50 is the rule. Some of your rights do return luckily in court :)

• Like 1

Two years back, I was ready to "Split The Sheet" and Siam Legal wanted 14,900 THB for uncontested and I did not want the house and car. Just walk away. Well, we are still together.

It will cost more to settle the house. If you have all the documents needed you should get half. I had a friend who owned 25 RAI and house in Buriram and the Court made his wife pay up half, actually her new boy friend paid it.

With marriage it is not the initial investment, it is the maintenance and up-keep !!

Welcome to LOS !!

Interesting. I have NEVER come across a case of a falang being awarded half of the proceeds of a house sale following a divorce. If you have any more details of the Buriram case, I am sure lots of guys out there who have sunk a big chunk of their savings into the family home would appreciate hearing them. I would for one, as I was under the impression that the documents one is obliged to sign at the Land Registry effectively sign away any claim to ownership.

Presumably, the new boyfriend who paid the falang his share of the house and land was also a falang?!!

There is a case that an American got 100% of the land and house back from his wife. My lawyer told me they use that case as an example in law school so it should not be too hard for your lawyer to come up with a copy of it.

• Like 1

There are three scenarios possible:

1) If she is willing to be divorced from you and you are both in Thailand we can get you divorced in three (3) business days. We will prepare the divorce agreement settling all issues between the two of you and have you both sign it.

We will use professional Thai mediators to convince her to sell the house and share the money with you if you want us to do this. Under Thai law you are entitled to half of the marital assets. We have helped dozens of ThaiVisa members get property or money back in divorce cases.

See http://divorcethai.com/.

Once the agreement is signed by both of you, we will record it with the Thai government and have a Divorce Certificate issued with both your names on it. The Divorce Certificate is similar to the Marriage Certificate you received when you registered the marriage. You each get a certificate and it proves you are now single.

Then, if you want, we will also help you notify your country of citizenship that you are a single man. We have helped more than 300 foreigners divorce Thais successfully.

2) If she is not in Thailand, but willing to divorce we can get you divorced and also negotiate a settlement on the assets in her name that you bought to get money for you.

3) If she is NOT willing to divorce you, then we can get you divorced in about 6 months provided you have grounds for divorce.

First up.... I'm happy to say, I don't require your services and trust that I never do. However the OP and (other "sticky beaks" like me) may be interested in your Scale of Charges for the above services....just "Ball Park Figures" would be fine.

Cheers.

Yes I have a property dispute. Please what do you charge?

Be careful...google is your friend.

Guilt by association...such shame

Welcome to LOS !!

There is a case that an American got 100% of the land and house back from his wife. My lawyer told me they use that case as an example in law school so it should not be too hard for your lawyer to come up with a copy of it.

Perhaps then I am the 2nd American guy who got 100%. Although many do not want to admit it, Americans have a few extra rights when it comes to land and house ownership. My case was Bangkraui and I did get 100% back in my 1st marriage to a Thai female. I also teach Law at an one of the major universities and we do indeed use 2 other American case studies, now that Thai courts do recognize precedent and the case process. I also teach my own example, which is fairly unique. Again, if you're willing to do a little legwork, ask some questions, there is NO need for a lawyer at those insane fees I saw quoted.

PRG

• Like 1

I got divorced in Pattaya, got the house sold and received 50 % of the proceeds, even tough she had a Thai lawyer. In Thailand it's 50/50 by law, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We merged our 15-year legal business PAPPA Co Ltd with One Stop Service Center Co. Ltd. legal division. Please see http://www.PAPPA.co.th and http://www.onestoplegalservice.com

In our vast experience we have had more than 200 foreign husbands hire us to get property and other assets back from their Thai wife in a divorce.

We have always received at least half of the value of the assets of the marriage and most of all of the value of the assets contributed by the husband with funds he held prior to marriage.

We have been able secure up to 100 percent of the property in a divorce provided that

1) the money used to pay for the property was a pre marital asset which the foreigner had and could prove by inbound bank wire transfer forms.

2) the legal marriage was less than three years.

3) the wife receives some compensation. Generally, land the husband bought upcountry for her family. Sometimes it is a bar or salon he bought during the marriage for her.

More often than not, we have been able to mediate and negotiate with the Thai wife and settle the divorces within 60 days.In the cases that went to court, we have been able to conclude in generally 6 months in favor of our clients.

If not more, we get at least 50 percent of marital assets less any child support necessary.

I got divorced in Pattaya, got the house sold and received 50 % of the proceeds, even tough she had a Thai lawyer. In Thailand it's 50/50 by law, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We merged our 15-year legal business PAPPA Co Ltd with One Stop Service Center Co. Ltd. legal division. Please see www.PAPPA.co.th and www.onestoplegalservice.com. com.

In our vast experience we have had more than 200 foreign husbands hire us to get property and other assets back from their Thai wife in a divorce.

We have always received at least half of the value of the assets of the marriage and most of all of the value of the assets contributed by the husband with funds he held prior to marriage.

We have been able secure up to 100 percent of the property in a divorce provided that

1) the money used to pay for the property was a pre marital asset which the foreigner had and could prove by inbound bank wire transfer forms.

3) the wife receives some compensation. Generally, land the husband bought upcountry for her family. Sometimes it is a bar or salon he bought during the marriage for her.

More often than not, we have been able to mediate and negotiate with the Thai wife and settle the divorces within 60 days.In the cases that went to court, we have been able to conclude in generally 6 months in favor of our clients.

If not more, we get at least 50 percent of marital assets less any child support necessary.

You fail to mention much of the paperwork by themselves and you could just handle court-related activities as needed.

PRG

We merged our 15-year legal business PAPPA Co Ltd with One Stop Service Center Co. Ltd. legal division. Please see www.PAPPA.co.th and www.onestoplegalservice.com. com.

You fail to mention much of the paperwork by themselves and you could just handle court-related activities as needed.

PRG

What else has he failed to mention ?

• Like 1

You are 50% right.

Sin Suan Tua is 100%

Sin Somros is 50%/50%

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Well I got it done on Monday

Process:

We handed in her house book, ID card and marriage certificate.

For me, Passport, Legalized translation of passport picture page and marriage certificate

She filled out some paper work were asked about anything we wanted to put on paper regarding assets, children and future support but we have solved that between us.

2 witnesses had to sign a couple of pieces of paper, so did we.

45 minutes later and 65 baht poorer I left with a nice shiny new divorce certificate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Am I correct in thinking that you do require to have a legalised copy of passport or just a standard photo copy ? If a legalised copy is required where and how is this done and what time scales ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Am I correct in thinking that you do require to have a legalised copy of passport or just a standard photo copy ? If a legalised copy is required where and how is this done and what time scales ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Option 1 in the post above were required of me.

I had the photo page translated, a copy of the page from my embassy with their stamp on it and them approving the translation.

Then to Ministry of Foreign affairs to have the documents stamped by them also (use a courier service)

Due to the protests it took me 4 days to get the copy stamped at MoF since I am not from BKK I had a translation service get it stamped and mail it to me.

Embassy were in and out in 15 minutes but it depends on your country I guess.

I tried with just having the page translated but no luck they wanted it the way described above.

Edited by spacemand