Are 4 wheel "Trike" legal in Pattaya, Thailand?

John Hong

I'm planning to purchase a motorcycle and use a conversion kit to make it into a "trike" with 4 wheels? Is this legal? The conversion kit is removable so it can be reverted back to motorcycle anytime. Do I need to change the registration from motorcycle to trike? Is it possible to register as a "trike".

thank you for any information.

Dude, everything is legal here, it's Thailand! Just wear a helmet otherwise, 400 baht in the cops pocket. Seriously, have you seen some of the shit that is passed off as transportation. No rules no law, just tea money if you get stopped, pretty sad commentary on life here.

Dude, everything is legal here, it's Thailand! Just wear a helmet otherwise, 400 baht in the cops pocket. Seriously, have you seen some of the shit that is passed off as transportation. No rules no law, just tea money if you get stopped, pretty sad commentary on life here.

Well tell that to a friend of mine who was busted for a non-stock muffler. It isn't legal and one will have to put up with the constant tickets and sstops until they confiscate it. O and the fun would start when he goes to plate it and the land office inspects it. Yes I see Thais riding around on trikes and non plated bikes but they also pay the bribes and they are Thai a bit more leeway

Wow. Thanks. In the states they have conversion kits that attaches to the motorcycle. Basically they attach two more wheels. for example see this website. http://www.saferwholesale.com/Honda-Motorcycle-Trike-Kit-Fits-All-Models-p/stk-honda-trike-kit-moto.htm

I saw in various forums that you can not register trikes because they want to control the number of tuk tuks? and they consider trikes as such ?

Motorbike sidecars are illegal in Thailand with the exception of a ones that come from the factory that way such as Thai makers Tiger and Stallion. Your bike would be illegal and not registerable as a "trike", whether 3 wheels or 4. Illegal aftermarket home made sidecars make up 99.9% of the sidecars you see in Thailand. When it is time to tax and inspect them, they simply remove the side car. Here in Phuket one of previous police superintendents publicly stated that the police will "compromise" with locals that need to use them for business and allow them as long as they are lighted. That does not seem to have changed any.

eHTmPzznDr0326140333.jpg

040910TigerRetro2Sm.jpg

sUmfVW9uWn0326140333.jpg

• Like 1

After seeing that site you posted I realized you are after something different than what I assumed. I envisioned a Philippines style trike which is more like Thailand's samlors. I have not seen many trikes in Thailand. Like, as in maybe 1. I doubt you would be able to ever make it legal. This one makes an appearance at the Phuket Bike Week every year, but I am fairly certain it isn't street legal. lol

1094.jpg

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

maybe the best thing is to drive it around with it on and when it needs to be inspected, just take the conversion kit off. Is that advisable?

And if you have an accident when its converted? very messy, its bad enough in a legal vehicle

• Like 1

maybe the best thing is to drive it around with it on and when it needs to be inspected, just take the conversion kit off. Is that advisable?

And if you have an accident when its converted? very messy, its bad enough in a legal vehicle

Shouldn't make a difference. It doesn't for all the illegal samlors.

Slightly off subject - saw one of those quad machines (off road 4 wheels thing) round town the other day with red plates, so seems like they can be legal.

smile.png

Dont take it that it was legal, unless the plates are genuine and the paperwork has matching body number, the plates could quite easily be the fake red ones, only real ones carry the Dept road transport stamp.

You can see the circular stamp in the bottom right hand corner of this plate

post-4090-0-31990400-1392292701_thumb.jp

• Like 2

After seeing that site you posted I realized you are after something different than what I assumed. I envisioned a Philippines style trike which is more like Thailand's samlors. I have not seen many trikes in Thailand. Like, as in maybe 1. I doubt you would be able to ever make it legal. This one makes an appearance at the Phuket Bike Week every year, but I am fairly certain it isn't street legal. lol

1094.jpg

He lives near me, well the bike does, not that colour at the moment.....

Slightly off subject - saw one of those quad machines (off road 4 wheels thing) round town the other day with red plates, so seems like they can be legal.

smile.png

Dont take it that it was legal, unless the plates are genuine and the paperwork has matching body number, the plates could quite easily be the fake red ones, only real ones carry the Dept road transport stamp.

You can see the circular stamp in the bottom right hand corner of this plate

attachicon.gifthai_plate.jpg

You could be right.

Only saw it from a distance but the fact that it had any sort of plate caught my attention.

But wouldn't using a false plate get you into more trouble than no plate at all blink.png

Wow. Thanks. In the states they have conversion kits that attaches to the motorcycle. Basically they attach two more wheels. for example see this website. http://www.saferwholesale.com/Honda-Motorcycle-Trike-Kit-Fits-All-Models-p/stk-honda-trike-kit-moto.htm

I saw in various forums that you can not register trikes because they want to control the number of tuk tuks? and they consider trikes as such ?

Thats just a big set of bolt on training wheels.

mototrike-1.jpg

just do this instead, the police will not hassle you.

motorcycle-courses-training-wheels-small

Great idea. maybe a bit bigger training wheels.