DTP help - replacing English with Thai in PDF

a1falang

Hi there, I have a PDF with English text. I want to replace the English with Thai. I want to be able to "tweak" the Thai, like changing the font type, font colour, line height, line spacing, basic stuff. I want to keep the layout and background images/graphics intact and unmodified. Does anyone have actual experience in doing this, and what software was used please. I've found many "professional"/commercial DTP programs/applications don't handle Thai well with its unique system of superscript and subscript tone marks and vowels. I also need to be able to save/export as PDF without compressing or reducing the quality of any images/graphics.

PS Please no one do a Google search and then recommend to me freeware or something they have never used themselves and ends up not being able to handle Thai characters or support common Thai fonts like Cordia New. I know how to use Google! I'm looking for any advice from those who have had experience doing themselves and found a solution. smile.png

Use MS Pdf to Word converter. http://www.windows8downloads.com/win8-pdf-to-word-converter-free-download-xvbwabkn/

Cost $29US. Convert it to word. Using Word 2010 should keep most of the formatting the same but that's changeable. Then do a translation to Thai. Change the font and all that you need to do and then save. Might need to do it a few times to get the final version. Then re-save as a pdf. Worked for me.

Also several versions depending on your current OS and word ver available.

Edited by Mrjlh

Use MS Pdf to Word converter. http://www.windows8downloads.com/win8-pdf-to-word-converter-free-download-xvbwabkn/

Cost $29US. Convert it to word. Using Word 2010 should keep most of the formatting the same but that's changeable. Then do a translation to Thai. Change the font and all that you need to do and then save. Might need to do it a few times to get the final version. Then re-save as a pdf. Worked for me.

Also several versions depending on your current OS and word ver available.

Thanks. I want to avoid converting to another format, exporting, reconverting, saving again etc. as it will affect the quality of the images or make progressive changes to the layout. It's a bit like photocopying a photocopy of a photocopy. Each time, there's more degradation. However, I will resort to this method if I can't find any way to edit the PDF directly so I appreciate your suggestion.

Edited by a1falang