Rookie question, when does high season end?

impulse

I've been staying in overpriced dumps the past few BKK escape weekends because the places I usually stay are booked solid. Not just Pattaya, BTW.

These dumps had very high ratings on the hotel websites, but sorely disappointed on arrival. That's a whole 'nother topic, though.

What I want to know is, when will my normal places start clearing out?

in my opinion the high season ends when your money runs out

Someone dumps a bunch of money into my account every month, so that isn't going to happen while I'm in Thailand. I think it's related to the office where I spend most of my time...

When they quit dumping money into my account, I'm outta here.

There was no High Season...only a bunch of hotel's repackaging low season.

... is the correct answer!

There was never a high season this year for the obvious reasons and Bangkok hotel occupancy was well below 60% but over 80% in the other tourist traps including Pattaya as most tourists chose to bypass Bangkok. Give it another month and they will all start discounting as they cadge for the dwindling tourists.

Most 4 and 5 star places in Bangkok were offering stonking discounts this past month so maybe the OP can forego the Pattaya scene and live like a (relative) king in some of Bangkok's more upscale places. I just got an upgrade AND a discount for 2 nights at a 4.5 star joint on the arse-end of Sukhumvit. Executive Studio room was booked at 3700 baht on their website, they upgraded me to Executive Bedroom and charged me 3000 baht/night.

It's a real mixed bad this year with regards to high season. Many 5 star resorts are empty. But a lot of the 2-3 star hotels are jammed with people not wanting to visit Bangkok. I tried to make a booking for a friend a few weeks ago and it was tough. Almost every place we tried was booked. And unfortunately, the 2-3 star places here are not that great.

Another friend who works with Russian Tourists and he says even they are staying away.

Normally, I believe we have a pretty good crowd till mid March, when it get's hot. But this year, who knows! Strange times.

• Like 2