Flashcards!

loraporz

Hello all,

Coming over in a few weeks to work in a Summer camp. Looking to buy a set of flashcards with a wide range of vocabulary. Don't want to spend hours printing and cutting, and looking for something laminated which won't get ripped or scrumpled and will last me the trip.

Found these, which are exactly what I'm looking for:
http://www.yo-yee.com/en/english-starter-flashcards/7-starter-set.html

But apparently they cost £241.40, so...Not going to buy them.

Surely something else like this exists somewhere, for a cheaper price than £241.40.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it,

Cheers,
L

download the flashcards onto a cheap flash drive. then when you get here take it to a copy shop (loads around, usually near University or big schools)

Hand them the drive get them to print out, trim and laminate. Go and have lunch, beers or a shag. Come back a few hours later. sorted!

I don't encourage teachers to get flashcards, but I do encourage them to make them. The problem is that if the class is fairly large, the flashcards are often too small to be seen and easily used. The homemade ones can be tailor made for your specific needs.

I notice that teachers that make them quite often get to be very good at it and do it quite quickly. The cards, by the way, are not really usable over a long period of time. You need to change them fairly often to keep them relevant. They can, however, be used from year to year.

• Like 1

Especially for summer camp work, you are talking about quick fun lessons, depending on what level of camp it is you may have a A1 flip board on an easel and a pen.

Depending on the camp organizer, you will find you are moving about between locations quickly, and before long you will forget them and regret it, so your better off just taking a couple of pens in your pocket.

Just learn to draw, in time you will develop some cartoon like characters that you can draw with your eyes closed, If you feel its the way to go, you can pick-out the troublemaker from the class and use his facial features, keeps the kids laughing. However, most of the schools are pushing tiresome "Let's get ready for ASEAN" camps, so you might want to get a flashdrive of flags, cultural dress and dish images ready and buy some bright coloured sports shoes with the change.

I have hundreds of FC's my home office, some A4, multiple packs of playing cards .. all laminated .. If you are thinking of teaching FT, you will probably buy a printer, for 1500B, add an ink tank for 1000B or something, a pack of laminating sheets from Office Depot, go chat up the people in the school repro room to finish the job for you.

If the school denies you the facilities ( which they sometimes do ).I think laminating was 10 or 20B an A4 at a copy shop including sheets.

Heres a art link for you ..

As previously mentioned, these days lots of classrooms may have TV's or projectors, you can use ( your / a ) computer, link the powerpoint or keynote to a remote control on your iphone or android.

ETS: Good luck, and if you want some more companies to contact PM me, i found it great fun for a couple of breaks, free food, nice hotels, sometimes cool staff, got to see some parts of Thailand i would never have seen or wanted to go to again. Pretty exhausting tho'

Edited by recom273

zeichen post # 8

Flash Cards? If that is your only tool, you are doomed. As others have said, with technology today no need. Overhead projectors are quite common now.

Keep the activities lively.

True to a degree Zeichen, however if you are having a fun vocab speaking activity whatever game flash cards are ideal as both the question matter and the trophy for any question answered correctly linked to that card.

Kids love possession and if they've got a pile of cards and can physically count them to see who is the winner you'll find although old fashioned they ( flash cards) are invaluable tools. You just have to listen to the kids boasting about the number of cards they've amassed to win the game to both hear and see thus understand the usefulness of those flash cards to both students and teacher..j.

Also one might do well to remember that a good many Thai schools both government and private even now are not well equipped with I.T facilities so as to guarantee the classroom has a computer + projector screen or a large T.V. screen linked to said computer.

When the power fails there's lot to be said for teacher powered flash card activities.cheesy.gif