How does your wife 'destroy' Western food

Dr. Burrito

The missus & I have a pretty good system going in the galley;

She does the Thai food, I do the "Western" (whatever that means)

food. Sometimes we do an East meets West thing....that's pretty

interesting....depending on what's gonna be cooked up.

Sugar on toast!

But the best one was the T-Bone steak dressed in strawberry yogurt..

Bless her, she had seen some pink dressing on a steak I had in a restaurant once and assumed it was strawberry, so was only trying to impress...

She made a full recovery and was only in ICU for 3 days!

What's wrong with sugar on toast? when i was a kid my mom made toast with butter, sugar and cinnamon on it. It was a poor man's version of a cinnamon roll.

• Like 2

Sugar on toast!

But the best one was the T-Bone steak dressed in strawberry yogurt..

Bless her, she had seen some pink dressing on a steak I had in a restaurant once and assumed it was strawberry, so was only trying to impress...

She made a full recovery and was only in ICU for 3 days!

What's wrong with sugar on toast? when i was a kid my mom made toast with butter, sugar and cinnamon on it. It was a poor man's version of a cinnamon roll.

actually on the farm we used to have lard/dripping(used cooking fat) from the bowl on hot toast tasted great as all the roast meat/vegetable flavour was in it from when it was drained off the roast for the gravy to be made.

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

I think i have posted this elsewhere, but my missus once made me fish and chips ( with strawberry sauce) and gave me Muesli ( with tomato( ketchup). I ate both and said nothing. I loved the fact that she tried to make me English food. She never saw me secretly vomiting after though.

Au contraire. I fully understand Thai preferences - they are usually based around ignorance, laziness and availability of whatever is too hand.

The Thais actually like many new foods they become introduced to - the issue is that they have never had the opportunity to learn beyond their own backyards. Compare with the Vietnamese, for example, who with have befitted from the French influence - even Laos and Cambodia, in many cases, have developed more culinary imagination.

"The Thais like it that way" doesn't wash with me - they only know what they know and until their minds expand into what else is possible they will continue turn out pitiful desserts. Mango with sticky rice and coconut milk is a fortunate, natural exception.

Sounds like it's your problem...not theirs. They seem to enjoy their food immensly, while reviling ours......

• Like 1

I remember MANY years ago in Sydney Italian espresso bars HIT the town The foreigners had arrived!!!!! Anybody who was anybody sat eating cinnamon toast. That was the "in" thing.. In many farming homes in Europe bacon fat (what about duck) it can be quite normal fare for breakfast. Fried bread in bacon fat. To die for.

Recently I made seafood marinara and the missus threw a subtle nam prik sauce (5 chillies not 10) in with it and it tasted awesome, now she tries to put it with everything I make, so im gonna stop cooking for a while and just make sure I have a slurpee on hand before she starts cooking

STOP winging Thai's sometime ruin western food the same way a westerners ruin Thai food.....and steak is a steak impossible to taste and say where it originates from sometimes the species can be picked IE marble beef but thats it.........I KNOW that for a fact

In general my wife is a very good cook. One of the first things I taught her about western food was how to respect meat!

She recently cooked a feed of frogs legs and decided to do it as a curry, turns out curried frogs legs are horrible.

frog legs are terrible regardless of the cooking method. it is a weird cross between chicken and fish. just not very delicious. if it tasted good, it would not be so uncommon. let's be honest.

try chinese frog porraige.

STOP winging Thai's sometime ruin western food the same way a westerners ruin Thai food.....and steak is a steak impossible to taste and say where it originates from sometimes the species can be picked IE marble beef but thats it.........I KNOW that for a fact

http://www.gposydney.com/Sydneys-Best-Steak-Restaurant-and-Steakhouse---Prime-15.html

3. Prime Produce

a. Angus Hereford Yearlings

b. Black Angus

c. Wagyu

4. Styles of Beef

a. Dry Aged Beef

b. Grain Fed versus Grass Fed

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/ingredients/article/dry-aged-beef-is-a-new-trend-in-restaurants-around-the-country

But lately there’s been a funktastic arms race among chefs in search of new flavors through longer aging times: 35, 42, 56 days. Saison, in San Francisco, regularly takes its beef out to 90; Eleven Madison Park, 140; and, in the sun-addled haze of Las Vegas, Mario Batali’s Carnevino features steaks so old they’re verging on toddlerhood. (Nicole Brisson, the chef at Carnevino, describes her eight-month-old, $100-per-inch riserva steaks as having deep flavors of Gorgonzola and truffles, the edible equivalent of a story that always ends with “I guess you had to be there.”)

Allow me to correct you on how a steak becomes tender.

1st . If the animal is stressed in anyway prior or during the stunning process the meat WILL not be tender no matter what you do.

2nd. The animal must be bleed ASAP and hung again asap after dressing ( skinning )

3rd Where possible hang the carcass outside cover it in a muslin cloth tied a both ends raise the carcass 6 / 7 meters above ground in the shade ( flys will not go that high )

4th. hang until the meat is a very slight blue in colour then take down.

IF you store in a cold room it wiil not TENDERISE as well.

NOW most important the reason it's impossible to get beef commercially is because when it's killed and hung and dresses the carcasses and hose with high pressure sprayers ( for hygiene reasons !!! ) this ruins the texture of the beef and there is NO BLOOD whatsoever left in the carcass but blood is need to ensure the meat is tender.

( 25 years working in the vet industry in different countries )

Nothing wrong with good steak dipped in a no of home made sauce.

But I guess you have the Thai cooking side if things down pat. Glass houses and all that...

Remind me if we ever meet no to offer to buy you a proper steak cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif She cooked the steaks to perfection, it was the rudeness with which she treated it that caused my near stroke...

God, I wish I could cook good Thai food. xsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webpxsad.png.pagespeed.ic.gBNm0PzB6t.webp Since she and the kiddos are in the states and I am back and forth, I am forced to restaurants and street carts when I want a good Thai meal.

I wouldn't call a 21 day steak a proper steak. I'd prefer a couple of more weeks hanging.

And I hope you consider a properly cooked streak one which has only briefly seen a hot flame. Otherwise I don't think we are on the same page of what is defined as a 'good steak' smile.png

Allow me to correct you on how a steak becomes tender.

1st . If the animal is stressed in anyway prior or during the stunning process the meat WILL not be tender no matter what you do.

2nd. The animal must be bleed ASAP and hung again asap after dressing ( skinning )

3rd Where possible hang the carcass outside cover it in a muslin cloth tied a both ends raise the carcass 6 / 7 meters above ground in the shade ( flys will not go that high )

4th. hang until the meat is a very slight blue in colour then take down.

IF you store in a cold room it wiil not TENDERISE as well.

NOW most important the reason it's impossible to get beef commercially is because when it's killed and hung and dresses the carcasses and hose with high pressure sprayers ( for hygiene reasons !!! ) this ruins the texture of the beef and there is NO BLOOD whatsoever left in the carcass but blood is need to ensure the meat is tender.

( 25 years working in the vet industry in different countries )

Not in the USA. Stressed beef is not sold as Choice or Prime. It is not legal to hang a carcass outside. If the air temperature at ground level is about seventy degrees, insects have about thirty-six hundred feet before they hit the ceiling and it’s too cold. On ninety-degree days, that border is at about six thousand feet.

Meat is dry aged in NYC between 30 and 100 days The process of meat hanging involves hanging the meat (usually beef) in a controlled environment. The meat hanging room must be temperature controlled from between 33 to 37 (39) degrees Fahrenheit (1-3 degrees Celsius).

http://www.usmef.org/guidelines-for-u-s-dry-aged-beef-for-international-markets/

When my wife first came to the USA she couldn't boil water to cook and egg . Nor could she cook Thai food .. After a year or so of looking on you tube and making some things I can say she is not a good cook she is an excellent cook . Now here in Thailand she bakes anything I want , if she can find it with google she can cook it and its always good . Pizza is the best !

..does she have a sister??

I remember MANY years ago in Sydney Italian espresso bars HIT the town The foreigners had arrived!!!!! Anybody who was anybody sat eating cinnamon toast. That was the "in" thing.. In many farming homes in Europe bacon fat (what about duck) it can be quite normal fare for breakfast. Fried bread in bacon fat. To die for.

I was living in Victoria in those days, and my wife had lived in Greece for many years, so she was absolutely over the moon when other-than-Nescafe became available.

So addicted that when we traveled upcountry we had to bring a full expresso-making kit, every few hours pull over the side of the road and boil a billy.

I live in New Zealand and the best it gets here is wild Venison eye rib.

And it is expensive.

Well my Wife has this habit of putting a bottle of 'Sweet Chilli' sauce in front of me.

It says 191 calories per 100 ml quantity, that's 50% sugar, plus salt, and if there is any Chilli

in there , Well I'll be a Texan.

I noticed that lately the Sizzlers and Black Canyon don't put the ketchupbottles at the tables anymore. You even don't get it at all, have to ask for that and then they bring you a small cup of it.

I have been in Sizzlers with Thai friends and they used the whole! bottle of ketchup on their plate. Then they even asked for a new bottle. That guy eats everything with loads and loads of ketchup also in his house.

With a good steak i don't need any sauce, the problem is to find a good steak in thailand. The new Ozzy burger in Sizzlers is also good though, or their porkloin steak.

Aussie steak are a horrible thing. I only eat black angus from the Texas prairie.... I don't know what the hay they got in the stores here from austrailia...but I swear, a good can of shoe polish and one of their steaks, can sure put a shine on the boots.

Aussie steak are a horrible thing. I only eat black angus from the Texas prairie.... I don't know what the hay they got in the stores here from austrailia...but I swear, a good can of shoe polish and one of their steaks, can sure put a shine on the boots.

Try the "accidental butcher" in Bangkok best meat in Thailand.

Try the "accidental butcher" in Bangkok best meat in Thailand.

7272013023030.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent !...

Now for my wife cooking I can't complain.

I teach her everything I know and I can relie on her now.

She teach me some of Thai cuisine too.

But as soon as she is with family in northern Thailand she eats all kind of really wired things... and enjoy it so much. I don't know if you ever tried yon food.. but that is far far away from bangkok nice food... urg !!

For thai deserts i think that it takes time before being able to appreciate all theses fine and subtil small things, all natural and not sweet, traditional pastries I mean not poor Thai version of western ones of course !