Another Falang Rip-off

Jinxy1128

In my opinion, I went there a few times with my "tourist friends" for free and that was just 6 months ago however "living" here I wouldn't spend 1 cetang to get in there. If you have ever gone to the "real" Bkk floating market at 5:00am there is NO comparasine however to some "tourists" being Japanese. or even faramg it mght be worth it for 1 hour.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. The OP wasn't a tourist and therefore didn't have to pay the tourist charge.

You never get it if the thread is negative. If you would like to reply to a thread that you are a expert in, look at the( general topics) "how much to support my tg", started by "nycthai". Your advice is sound and will help a fellow board member.

Anyway less and less guys will go to this place for a drink , to a point they will have to remove the fee.

People will not eat as they spent their money for the fee already, so where the money go? In to the pocket of one guy.

Result is little markets will leave this place and soon the floating market will be a deserted place like their mini golf.

Anyway less and less guys will go to this place for a drink , to a point they will have to remove the fee.

People will not eat as they spent their money for the fee already, so where the money go? In to the pocket of one guy.

Result is little markets will leave this place and soon the floating market will be a deserted place like their mini golf.

It's been going on for well over a year, so I doubt they will "remove the fee" anytime soon.

Most visitors there and over at Mimosa are Korean, Japanese and Chinese, usually traveling in chartered groups. The tour company pays a lump sum to the market to bring their group in.

As another member also noted above, I went to the US in November and I did notice that many places in California do offer sometimes substantial discounts to California residents.

You're a cheap charlie and you don't like the fact that a place charges you $6 to spend a few hours at a market? Just walk away. No one is pointing a gun at your head.

Edited by nicolas18

200 baht for what? It's just a glorified shopping centre, selling a lot of crap you can buy in just about any market, but at inflated prices.

Quite agree, I have visited twice with a long time in between, never been charged, but still hated the floating market, it's both boring and overpriced. Tourist trap.

We have to remember that this is a common practice throughout Pattaya. Many, in fact, most attractions that are free for Thais, charge a fee for foriegners. And those that have a fee for Thais, charge higher fees for foreigners.

Tourism is, after all, the life blood of Pattaya, if not all of Thailand. What you view as a "rip off" is viewed by Thais as "tourist income". We have to recognize that, in their philosophy, getting revenue from tourists is simply "normal business."

Resident falangs (proven with a Thai driver's license), can often (though not always) be allowed to pay the same fee (if any) as a Thai.

You are a wealth of information.

I don't get it. The OP wasn't a tourist and therefore didn't have to pay the tourist charge. Where's the problem?

In the past I have been there many times ,, I was quite embarrassed , needless to say,

"Where's the problem?"

Farang suffers devastating loss of face ... needless to say.

tumblr_inline_mrs6sbD6hX1qz4rgp.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Hmm, did you have your feelings hurt? The lady was just doing her job. If you were not a Thai resident you would have had to pay and how would she know if you were a Thai resident or not? I think you are totally over reacting and I really hate to read about this type of nonsense on Thai Visa. Totally ridiculous! Try to find something positive to do with your time besides whining over something so stupid!

I don't get it. The OP wasn't a tourist and therefore didn't have to pay the tourist charge.

You never get it if the thread is negative. If you would like to reply to a thread that you are a expert in, look at the( general topics) "how much to support my tg", started by "nycthai". Your advice is sound and will help a fellow board member.

I'm not sure you need to be an expert to comment on this thread, or to see that there wasn't a problem! Thanks for the tip on nycthai's thread. I had seen it, but took it to be trolling.

Hmm, did you have your feelings hurt? The lady was just doing her job. If you were not a Thai resident you would have had to pay and how would she know if you were a Thai resident or not? I think you are totally over reacting and I really hate to read about this type of nonsense on Thai Visa. Totally ridiculous! Try to find something positive to do with your time besides whining over something so stupid!

So why not have price discrimination for everything a falang buys in Thailand? Do your shopping at Lotus? Have a "falang surcharge" added to your bill. You'd be happy with that would you?

• Like 2

So why not have price discrimination for everything a falang buys in Thailand? Do your shopping at Lotus? Have a "falang surcharge" added to your bill. You'd be happy with that would you?

How's that comparable? Lotus isn't a tourist attraction.

Discrimination is discrimination, something you don't seem to grasp.

• Like 2

Tesco Lotus is not even Thai. It's british. So Thais should paid higher prices as it is an international attraction to them. Brits on the other hand should be entitled for extra discounts. (Very easy. Just show your UK Tesco card).

I mean it serious.

• Like 1

I have never been to the place, for much the same reason I have not been to the two floating markets in Bangkok, crowds of tourists. But I'm curious, do Japanese or Korean tourists pay the "falang" fee of 200 baht to get in ?

Go in the front like a tourist and you have to pay...

Go in through the side, where the car park is and its free....

This is the same as the BKK temple scam.... Thais know about it, but dont feel obligated to give a flying phook about it. Neither do the police, TAT or any Thai dept.

Firstly I live here and would say the clue is in the name floating market. To outsiders it replicates other such authentic markets found in Bangkok and Amphawa, who do not realise that it's actually been built as a tourist attraction rather than being a centuries old working market. With this in mind I would suggest that real tourists arriving on coaches with towels around their necks should indeed pay to enter, since someone invested money to produce what could be conceived as an authentic Thai traditional market and a tourist attraction. Once is enough to go there for anyone as a experience, there's nothing to buy there on a regular basis that cannot be found in a normal market, where an entrance fee isn't charged such as Thepprasit.

The one place I do think is a rip off is Mimosa where they charge tourists to enter a shopping complex with a bit of mock Tudor cladding and a telephone box. Wannabe Hi-So Thais love it and stand around taking selfies whilst making Winston Churchill V signs! Just like they do at the cake counter in La Baguette.

It's not a market, it is a tourist attraction.

Would you care to describe exactly what the attractions are? Other than a cable you can slide along and boat ride over muddy water, what else is there? There's a lot of shops selling a lot of identical crap, but I'd hardly think that was worth paying money to see.

Do you understand the word "tourist"? If you came to Pattaya, Thailand for the first time from your home in Indiana, USA; or Frankfurt, Germany; or Liverpool, UK; I think that you WOULD consider the Floating Market a tourist attraction. Of course it's not a special experience for those of us who LIVE here; or for those who've visited Thailand several times. But it IS for actual tourists! I lived in So Cal for over 30 years. I went to Disneyland, and Sea World, and Universal Studios with family and friends a few times. After one or two visits, they weren't special to me either. (And, by the way, Disneyland at least a few years ago - gave discounts to California residents.)

well, the OP said he DIDN'T have to pay once he proved he WASN'T a TOURIST, so i'd say he got a 100% discount on account of being a resident - just like in Disneyland :)