Another Falang Rip-off

Jinxy1128

I went there in 2011 with my then TGF. No entrance fee for farangs at the time.

It's just a small market. Absolutely nothing of interest for a foreign tourist other than small shops.

Indeed my GF was happy to buy T-shirts, clothes for her kid and some special Thai food for her mother.

She enjoyed the high wire slide too.

We also sat down for a meal in a pleasant little place along the water but failed to get half the food we had ordered. Enjoyed a "Thai Starbucks" coffee too.

I'd certainly not go back since now they charge the milch cow farang for the privilege of shopping there. Ridiculous and rather insulting IMO.

If you're a farang tourist and like local color it's much more enjoyable to visit one of the numerous Thai markets around Pataya. Thepprasit on WE. NaKlua. BuaKao. No fees there.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 baht is quite alot of money if you are working in Thailand, i get fed up of the assumption that us foreigners are rich. Many of the locals earn more than i do, better cars, bigger houses. Its difficult to live on budget, or saving money when things can become so expensive for the farrang. I wont be getting a pension from the uk or thai government if i keep working here so i have to watch the pennies. No buying gold or donating my salary to the local temple here.

• Like 2

Frankly, I am sick and tired of both sides. A/ Double prices are based solely on face control which is racist. B/ Farangs are crying and whining about this all the time. You have lots of choices except crying and whining 1) Do not go there 2) speak a little Thai and show your driving licence 3) pay the tourist price, shut your mouth and do not whine.

Edited by JHenry

It's not a market, it is a tourist attraction.

Would you care to describe exactly what the attractions are? Other than a cable you can slide along and boat ride over muddy water, what else is there? There's a lot of shops selling a lot of identical crap, but I'd hardly think that was worth paying money to see.

The basic answer to this, while it clearly doesn't appeal to you, is that it's the "presentation", rather than the products for sale, that makes it an "attraction". The wooden stalls and walkways, and, yes, the "boat ride over muddy water", are not something you see in downtown Pattaya. They "look" rural and ethnic. Therefore, in the eyes of tourists, they are rural and ethnic. Like so many things, it's all in the eye (and experience) of the beholder.

• Like 1

We have to remember that this is a common practice throughout Pattaya. Many, in fact, most attractions that are free for Thais, charge a fee for foriegners. And those that have a fee for Thais, charge higher fees for foreigners.

Tourism is, after all, the life blood of Pattaya, if not all of Thailand. What you view as a "rip off" is viewed by Thais as "tourist income". We have to recognize that, in their philosophy, getting revenue from tourists is simply "normal business."

Resident falangs (proven with a Thai driver's license), can often (though not always) be allowed to pay the same fee (if any) as a Thai.

If you choose to be ripped off you can or just let everyone know of the scam is the "normal" way informing people

Frankly, I am sick and tired of both sides. A/ Double prices are based solely on face control which is racist. B/ Farangs are crying and whining about this all the time. You have lots of choices except crying and whining 1) Do not go there 2) speak a little Thai and show your driving licence 3) pay the tourist price, shut your mouth and do not whine.

Is someone holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this post? If you are sick and tired of reading posts from people complaining, go read a book, walk the dog or fly a kite.

• Like 1

Anyone want to invest in my Pattaya Floating Sheep Farm?

Hua Hin floating market is free for everyone. Pattaya floating market @ 200 baht = rip off. The owners must do well from the rent they get out of the stall holders. Charging tourists a 200 baht entrance fee into their "attraction" is an insult but there will always be wood ducks who will pay it.

Hmm, did you have your feelings hurt? The lady was just doing her job. If you were not a Thai resident you would have had to pay and how would she know if you were a Thai resident or not? I think you are totally over reacting and I really hate to read about this type of nonsense on Thai Visa. Totally ridiculous! Try to find something positive to do with your time besides whining over something so stupid!

So why not have price discrimination for everything a falang buys in Thailand? Do your shopping at Lotus? Have a "falang surcharge" added to your bill. You'd be happy with that would you?

How's that comparable? Lotus isn't a tourist attraction.

Discrimination is discrimination, something you don't seem to grasp.

If you have a problem with "discrimination" against tourists, or rather benefits for locals, I hope you're consistent and criticise it when it happens everywhere. Or do you just like to moan about Thailand?

I've found these fake floating markets to be rather boring and not even close to being authentic. Actually, I've only been to two, but will never go again.

Meanwhile, does anyone here know of a genuinely traditional floating market anywhere in Thailand?

For a few years I lived next to it.

All day bus loads of Chinese, Japanese and Russian tourists.

7 years prior of living in Pattaya I had never been there.

Then my brother came over for a short holiday and we went to have a look.

It was still free at that time. After 5 minutes looking around, we decided that this was not worth our time and left.

Believe me save yourself the trip, time and apparently now also 200 baht.

Hmm, did you have your feelings hurt? The lady was just doing her job. If you were not a Thai resident you would have had to pay and how would she know if you were a Thai resident or not? I think you are totally over reacting and I really hate to read about this type of nonsense on Thai Visa. Totally ridiculous! Try to find something positive to do with your time besides whining over something so stupid!

So why not have price discrimination for everything a falang buys in Thailand? Do your shopping at Lotus? Have a "falang surcharge" added to your bill. You'd be happy with that would you?

How's that comparable? Lotus isn't a tourist attraction.

Are you sure? I've seen plenty of tourists buses and tourists groups at Lotus!

It's not a market, it is a tourist attraction.

Come on , what's the attraction? Bumping into people when it's busy? and to be honest it doesn't take too many people to be busy.

I wasn't charged when iI went there, they probably assumed I'm a resident 'cause I went with my Thai wife and her son.

I understand the reasoning behind the double "standard" but don't agree with it. Take that botanical garden on the way to Rayon, I would go back sevral times, but I'm not paying bt500 every time to go in. What I'm saying is that in the end they would probably make more money out of me because I would spend money inside every time.

Anyway, I doubt it will ever change

Went to Amazon Fishing Park SE of Jomtien. They wanted 4500 baht per rod, no discrimination though, same for 5yo and Thai Lady.

Biggest fish I have ever seen and quite dumb I think as they are caught repeatedly. We watched them being caught every 5 minutes by

the ubiquitous Russians, who did not deign to bait or handle the rods, but put down their beverages, to watch the netting and release of the monsters.

You can not take your catch home,even if you had a freezer large enough.No doubt the pond would be emptied in a few days if the fish were taken

We watched then went to nearby Greta farm (free). , VG for children.

Anyone know a Fishing Park suitable for children please ?

200 baht is quite alot of money if you are working in Thailand, i get fed up of the assumption that us foreigners are rich. Many of the locals earn more than i do, better cars, bigger houses. Its difficult to live on budget, or saving money when things can become so expensive for the farrang. I wont be getting a pension from the uk or thai government if i keep working here so i have to watch the pennies. No buying gold or donating my salary to the local temple here.

Looks like you freely choose to live a life of semi-poverty in Thailand. Why?

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

1st proper time posting here so not sure if the reply comes up properly. In terms of why, i guess money is tough at the moment with set up costs, been here a year so lots of one off's needed buying.was teaching efl in the uk but government pulled a lot of funding so decided to try here. I love the uni i'm at right now but i would earn more teaching kindergarten or at other schools. Choosing to do what i enjoy but have to keep an eye on the future too, just being realistic. Nobody is going to give me any money if i choose to stay here long term. Thailand is great though, the locals can be nice (as long as they dont just think of me as a cash machine), great weather, scenery;things are always a bit crazy but that keeps it interesting, never a dull moment. Even in semi-poverty here, at this moment in time, its better than my quality of life would be in the uk right now.
  • Like 1

Thai people do pay or do not pay? . If they don't pay, it s discrimination and illegal and this place must be shut down.

You're just too funny, scary part is though, I think you actually believe what you write!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually, the part about it being illegal is correct, it is a breach of civil law.

I don't have the law to hand, but a quick search on the internet (something like 'Dual pricing illegal Thailand') will probably bring them up for you. smile.png

Edited by Khon Thai Ben Khon Dee

I always wandered what the little yellow stickers were for! The last 2 times I went there a lady stuck them on me and my girlfriend as I walked in. There was no mention of a fee, just a smile as she stuck it on my t-shirt. I am not Thai and do not even look Asian, as I am 100% English. So I was very surprised to read this thread.

It's called commerce. One sets prices to maximize profit, not to meet some arbitrary standard of fairness. No different from charging different prices for children and adults at movie theaters or other attractions.

If a black adult was charged twice the price of a white would you still call that commerce?

• Like 1

She probably wasn't even connected in any way to the market.

She was doing abit of freelancing. cheesy.gif

And the "floating" market isn't even floating. It's built on stilts cheesy.gif

Have you ever been to a floating market? Most of them are on dry land, and you are floating. Some boats come by your boat. At the Pattaya one, there are boats that float, even if they are tied up to a dock. No, it is not an attractive floating market by far, but it does add enjoyment for the tourists. Better than the gem factories. As the OP mentioned, it was free if you have a Thai Drivers License, and 200 baht if you don't. Why he is bitching about something that was free for him was unnecessary, I don't think they are worried that he won't be back. No free lancing, like you want to think. They charge, during the high season only, 200 baht for tourists. Since you have probably never owned a business, where you need to make a profit, you probably wouldn't understand.

She probably wasn't even connected in any way to the market.

She was doing abit of freelancing. cheesy.gif

And the "floating" market isn't even floating. It's built on stilts cheesy.gif

Edited by stoli

I think that if the same floating market were set up in an affluent western country, 200 baht entrnace fee would still be considered expensive for what you actually get. Two hundred baht to enter a market.......please! People still want value for their money.

In my 20+ years in Thailand this subject comes up over and over and over. I don't believe in the double price system so I just don't go to the places that do this........simple really. To the people who say what's the big deal(?), it's such a small amount; I can afford to go to these places, no problem, but it's all about if you believe/not believe in the "principle" of things. To me the principle of the thing is everybody is entering the same area and looking at the same things so should be the charged the same price. If my Thai wife is in my home country she pays the same price as I do anywhere we go.

They don't have a slogan of "Amazing Thailand" for nothing, I'm always amazed here.....sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way!

• Like 2

Thai people do pay or do not pay? . If they don't pay, it s discrimination and illegal and this place must be shut down.

Inform Chalerm and the DSI immediately for instant, decisive, action. Can't have the CMPO overlooking this threat to peace and order.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

It's called commerce. One sets prices to maximize profit, not to meet some arbitrary standard of fairness. No different from charging different prices for children and adults at movie theaters or other attractions.

If a black adult was charged twice the price of a white would you still call that commerce?

Some hypothetical questions deserve an answer, but this inane one doesn't.

• Like 1