Ear candles or Ear coning in Pattaya

driftpig

a warm shower is usually enough to melt and clean any ear wax.

Not true, as anyone who has suffered with wax build-up will tell you. Running warm water in your ears can make the condition worse.

On the contrary. Warm water is the thing! Suffered myself seriously with same problem for years. When I had to seek medical help, I noticed that doctors themselves always used pressurized warm water to remove wax (big syringe without a needle). As I noted the principle, I designed a very simple device, which I always carry with me in my toiletry bag. I took a clean plastic cone-shaped nozzle (intended for a bottle of silicone) and went to the bathroom. I removed the shower nozzle and adapted the plastic cone to the shower hose, cut the plastic cone shorter until it fitted into the rubber hose. Also, I widened the opening a bit.

When I have a wax problem, I take this thing and go to the shower or a bath tub. I remove the original shower nozzle and press the wider end of the plastic cone into the rubber hose and adjust water pressure. I bend my head to the side and direct water flow from below into the ear. Keep the nozzle lightly against the ear not tight, so that water can flow freely out of the ear. Use warm water, but not too hot. Water pressure is very individual and can be easily adjusted. Its always good to start carefully. On the other hand, too low pressure may produce no result. Sometimes I have had to let the water flow for several minutes until I see some pieces of wax. Then I let the water flowing for a few minutes more, until I see no more wax. In lighter cases I have seen no wax at all, because it has come out in very little pieces. After closing the water, I keep my head bent, the washed ear looking to the ground. It takes a few seconds, or even some minutes until all the water drops out and hearing comes back. If everything is not ok, the procedure can be repated. Simple trick and it works always and anywhere.

Anybody can easily invent something similar. Once, when my travel kit was not with me, I used an empty ketchup bottle with success. It is the principle that matters.

Baruto what you describe at the start of you post is basically what Doctors do anyway, the part with the syringe without the needle which turns it into a giant water pistol!. I go to Dr Oliver when ear wax built up has happened an his Nurses use this method and warm water, exactly as you describe it. Works perfectly. I would be afraid to do this myself at home though, and would imagine if you used too much pressure that real damage could be done.

• Like 1

I did the machine suck out once at BPH when I was stopped up. I try to avoid doing that but sometimes some people need to. The ear wax serves a purpose. For one thing, it discourages insects from going in there. I would suggest people NEVER allow barbers to stick things in their ears even though it is a common Thai practice going native to that extent is foolhardy!

I've had the barbers thing done a couple of times and it only costs the price of a haircut. It is fascinating to observe as the barber sets up a spotlight at the entrance to each year as she goes in and twiddles about. Yes I know one shouldn't do it but it is a pleasurable experience akin to having an itch gently scratched.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I have never heard of an "ear candle" but would like to know what it is? I get my ear wax sucked out on Pattaya Klang for 400 baht though.
By a doctor? Which clinic using a machine? That's cheap for that.

Ear candling is not considered a good idea by actual doctors.

Yes by a doctor and yes with a machine and it is the one people are trying to explain on Pattaya Klang (I think maybe soi 10 but not sure) but coming from Sukhumvit it would be on your right hand side. There is a Family Mart on the corner (of soi) then the BEST Noodle (and mostly all food) I have ever had here and right beside that is the ENT.

pROBLEM IS THAT HE IS NEVER THERE. i MEAN YEAH FROM 6:00 TO 8:00 AS SAID BUT NORMALLY "WALK INS" HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 7:00.

oops for the caps. For that reason I went to another clinis with doctor & machine on the East side of Sukhumvit between SSCC and Nernplabwan BUT he charged me 1000 baht and only did one ear (My vertigo ear) and that was it. Quite rude and I would NOT reccommend him.

if walkins are waiting till 7pm.. do they take appointments? Happen to have their number?

Thanks

038 425 046

Ps: Location - http://goo.gl/maps/89fcM -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683034-cortisone-shots-deep-ear-cleaning/

Anyone knows if this clinic is still there, I am trying to make an appointment but the phone line seems to be out of order.

I am upcountry so can't check myself.

Thanks

Edited by MJCM

My ears never had any wax secreting out of them. I knew that might be a problem later so I had a health practitioner do the ear cone thing on my 40th birthday. she had 5 candles & opened an unused cone & compared the amount of wax removed form my ear. My ear cones had 2& 1/2 times more wax than the empties.A lot of times doctors get pissed that they aren't the ones getting the money so they make up bullshit so you pay them instead of other holistic ways to do the same. It has worked great for me 20 years later & now they are normal & never plug up. I don't believe anything I read on Google or the rederik spewed out by the competition. Al, I can say besides it feeling freaky it worked flawlessly as described & I have not had to see any doctors ever. But believe what you want to believe.

My ears never had any wax secreting out of them. I knew that might be a problem later so I had a health practitioner do the ear cone thing on my 40th birthday. she had 5 candles & opened an unused cone & compared the amount of wax removed form my ear. My ear cones had 2& 1/2 times more wax than the empties.A lot of times doctors get pissed that they aren't the ones getting the money so they make up bullshit so you pay them instead of other holistic ways to do the same. It has worked great for me 20 years later & now they are normal & never plug up. I don't believe anything I read on Google or the rederik spewed out by the competition. Al, I can say besides it feeling freaky it worked flawlessly as described & I have not had to see any doctors ever. But believe what you want to believe.

You must be the only one that this snake oil treatment worked for. I hope you bought a pyramid to sharpen your razors while you were at it.

i used many a softener and water pressure to remove wax

(never used the candles)

the last time or two i got seriously dizzy, (messed with my inner ear?)

so now it's more simple and less invasive measures

wax ought to come out on it's own but some of us have too much wax for some reason

males? diet? genetics?

my dad used bent paper clips to remove his wax!!!!!!