Pheu Thai agrees to meet with EC

webfact

Pheu Thai agrees to meet with EC
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission will talk to the Pheu Thai Party on Monday to try to resolve voting issues and find solutions to the political impasse, Election Commissioner Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said yesterday.

He said nine Pheu Thai Party leaders had agreed to take part in the meeting including three academics. He said talks would focus on practical solutions and not legal technicalities.

"We will resort to political science and legal principles to try to find a practical way out of this deadlock. If we fail to reach a conclusion, it will be impossible for us to complete the election process.

"We have discussed enough theories, now we want solutions. We will talk in an amiable atmosphere, but if anyone threatens to sue the EC, we will ask them to leave the meeting,'' he said.

He said the EC had yet to announce election results for constituencies that had not had any issues because advance voting had not been completed and it feared a "rival" political camp might take the agency to court to contest the results.

Somchai said the EC would take the results of the meeting on Monday into consideration before deciding whether to propose that the government issue a royal decree to schedule a new election date for 28 constituencies that have no candidates for the House of Representatives.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

He said talks would focus on practical solutions and not legal technicalities.

AKA How to do something and not get caught.

It's funny how we all read the same things, but interpret them differently.

I see this as the EC "trying" to cooperate with PT to resolve this election farce, however the EC will not stand any longer being "told" what to do by this caretaker Govt. I think the message is for PT to compromise, stop making statements about what "they" (PT) are going to do and to follow the EC's suggestions, or they'll declare the whole election invalid and start all over again. That's what I see.

• Like 1

He said talks would focus on practical solutions and not legal technicalities.

AKA How to do something and not get caught.

It's funny how we all read the same things, but interpret them differently.

I see this as the EC "trying" to cooperate with PT to resolve this election farce, however the EC will not stand any longer being "told" what to do by this caretaker Govt. I think the message is for PT to compromise, stop making statements about what "they" (PT) are going to do and to follow the EC's suggestions, or they'll declare the whole election invalid and start all over again. That's what I see.

Sorry, I was looking at it through a PTP standpoint. Both with in headline and the body of the text it suggests 'agree' or 'willingness' insofar that it was not previously 'agreed' etc. As you correctly say, the PTP are being called into the headmasters office but I doubt they will turn even if after a severe whipping. The Shin regime will go down but it also WILL take down as many as they can with them.... I don't mean their kindred but anyone else.

I hope that the discussions cover actions to be taken when the polls are again blockaded by Suthep's supporters who is merely exercising his constitutional right of freedom of speech as ruled recently by the court. Since law enforcement is the responsibility of the national police, they too should be present at these talks and should be prepared to commit to definitive actions to protect peple's right to vote. But if the EC wants to use this meeting to sidestep its own reponsibilities in the election and put the government in a position to take the blame for anything other than a quite and smooth election, the meeting will be a wasted effort. Frankly, this meeting is the EC's last chance to redeem itself as any kind of an effective agency and in future government redesign the EC may find itself outed as an indepedent agency.

We will resort to political science and legal principles to try to find a practical way out of this deadlock. If we fail to reach a conclusion, it will be impossible for us to complete the election process.

This is an honest statement of factual circumstances. The election process will not accomplish a parliament, caretaker status can not last forever. The Constitutional Court has already compromised substantially by not voiding the election,allowing a certain flexibility to the EC to try to hold by-elections. It is also a clear warning to PTP, this will not be allowed to go on much longer. I know this is Thailand, and nothing should surprise, but i can't see the CC and the ACC holding off much longer. When that happens, PTP may be able to win an election, but it won't be with the current PM and possibly most of her Cabinet.

I hope that the discussions cover actions to be taken when the polls are again blockaded by Suthep's supporters who is merely exercising his constitutional right of freedom of speech as ruled recently by the court. Since law enforcement is the responsibility of the national police, they too should be present at these talks and should be prepared to commit to definitive actions to protect peple's right to vote. But if the EC wants to use this meeting to sidestep its own reponsibilities in the election and put the government in a position to take the blame for anything other than a quite and smooth election, the meeting will be a wasted effort. Frankly, this meeting is the EC's last chance to redeem itself as any kind of an effective agency and in future government redesign the EC may find itself outed as an indepedent agency.

Allowing a government, forced to dissolve parliament for "irregularities" to redesign and take control of the EC? What a splendid idea. I'm sure PTP could organize a very efficient and quick election. All those in favor ...................................

The best idea of 2014 and it's only Feb!!

Think again, hey.