Thai editorial: Time to pull the emergency brake

webfact

EDITORIAL
Time to pull the emergency brake

The Nation

Our economy is heading towards a cliff; both sides of the political divide must switch their focus from hate speech to the wellbeing of the whole country

BANGKOK: -- Former prime minister Anand Panyarachun is not the only one who is alarmed by the growing threat the political crisis poses to the Thai economy. But his concern adds another authoritative voice to the swelling anxiety. The nation needs to pull the emergency brake, he said, or the "runaway locomotive" would crash into the brick wall and everyone would "die". For Anand, the sooner the warring parties realise the magnitude of the danger faced by the economy, the better.

Anand was right in saying that the crisis has gone beyond an argument over what does and does not constitute democracy. The "runaway locomotive" scenario cannot accommodate a never-ending debate on what went wrong. The political rivals, he insisted, must focus on what should be done to prevent a final and catastrophic crash. Egos must get out of the way. Everyone must accept that vengeance is a sure-fire accelerator for collective doom.

Initially, it was thought the political crisis would dent Thailand's graceful entry into the Asean Economic Community, which is just around the corner. Now it seems certain that Thailand will limp into the AEC era as one of the most politically stormy nations in the region. Education, deemed the most important foundation for AEC success, is a major loser in the Thai crisis. Another is the fight against corruption, which has become badly politicised.

But the economy is probably where most blood is gushing out. Last year saw positive internal factors holding out against global uncertainties. This year, most domestic indicators are screaming for support or attention. State spending has been halted by fierce political protests. So far, tourism has not been hit hard but it won't be a white knight riding to the rescue, either. Exports under-performed last year, when we had a functional government for around 11 months, so it would be a grave mistake to pin our hopes there in 2014.

Two weeks have passed since the general election and nobody has a clue what the new government will look like. In fact, even if a post-election government can be miraculously formed, that won't erase economic worries. The new government will face all kinds of trouble and be too preoccupied with rearguard political battles to concentrate on helping any particular sector.

Anand stopped short of elaborating on his "emergency brake" idea. But his statement might have provided enough glimpses. He favours a true dialogue based on the need to stop "the bleeding", which he warned could be fatal. Thaksin Shinawatra should "think really hard" about the country's wellbeing, and so should his opponents. The rivals should stop exchanging hate speeches through the media, which are making things more difficult every passing day.

Nothing is legally impossible, according to Anand. He is right again. And, ironically, that is what the political rivals are implying, too. Neither side of the political conflict has shown utmost, unconditional respect for the laws or Constitution. If the political enemies can be selective about which legal aspects they adhere to, doesn't that mean nothing is written in stone? Isn't it time now to do what's best for Thailand first and make that legal later?

One side of the political divide might like the emergency brake proposal more than the other. In that respect, we are probably back to square one. For Anand, however, there is little time left to debate who will win and who will lose, as the locomotive continues its blind and relentless surge towards the brick wall.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-15

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cute. And then trying to make the missunderstood fugitive care about Thailand? As in show some empathy? Dream on.

That locomotive btw will probably derail first. Then the bad guy in Dubai can revive the talks about highspeed-train-2.2 trillion-loan-project again. All for the wellbeing of Thailand and Thai people of course.

Yada Yada Yada. Who wanted to shutdown Bangkok, cause chaos and who tried to slip a stupid amnesty bill in that kicked it off and all that jazz ?

It's called cause and effect. Both sides have been happily digging the hole deeper and deeper without a care in the world as to the damage done by all of them, no one can claim innocence here,. Unlucky now the country will have to deal with it.

• Like 1

So glad I have never invested in the country.The locomotive is approaching the wall,time will come and Thailand will introduce exchange controls to stop foreign businesses and individuals deserting the sinking ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Oh and don't get me started on the education system, when you have thai teachers that cannot conduct just ONE entire class in English to students of course we are going to be dead last. I was asked to set an entry exam for Masters degree holders sitting for numerous positions at Rajamangala Uni, not one single teacher passed and I was quizzed on why there wasn't any multiple choice questions? The answer, after over 16 years of study you still cannot grasp simple English. So how you going to teach the masses? One can't.

In a general sense, and increase in knowledge within a collective results in less power for a dictator, a manifest dictator or otherwise.

• Like 2

Oh and don't get me started on the education system, when you have thai teachers that cannot conduct just ONE entire class in English to students of course we are going to be dead last. I was asked to set an entry exam for Masters degree holders sitting for numerous positions at Rajamangala Uni, not one single teacher passed and I was quizzed on why there wasn't any multiple choice questions? The answer, after over 16 years of study you still cannot grasp simple English. So how you going to teach the masses? One can't.

In a general sense, and increase in knowledge within a collective results in less power for a dictator, a manifest dictator or otherwise.
Generally speaking this is true! BUT for one item and call me an optimist but if and when the people start practicing honesty and spurning corruption, the politicians being the people in time will follow suit to at least form a semblance of true democracy as can be seen in at least a few countries...

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So what is the Emergency Handbrake oh wise one? Firstly, the far majority of Thais except graft or corruption to a certain level, so let's start with the people shall we and show the politicians how its done. This is not really about Thaksin or Suthep. Real reform can never happen in Thailand until Thailand gets honest with itself collectively and as a united people striving for a common goal. This is what should be spruiting from someone's mouth nothing more and nothing less. What enables the system to be corrupt? You might not like the answer, but ultimately this rests with the people. They need to participate in reform as well, once you start with the people the politicians can't do sh.t as the people then hold the power and the government will only then answer to them. Oh and don't get me started on the education system, when you have thai teachers that cannot conduct just ONE entire class in English to students of course we are going to be dead last. I was asked to set an entry exam for Masters degree holders sitting for numerous positions at Rajamangala Uni, not one single teacher passed and I was quizzed on why there wasn't any multiple choice questions? The answer, after over 16 years of study you still cannot grasp simple English. So how you going to teach the masses? One can't.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree wholeheartedly with Cricketnut. A representative democracy always reflects the electorate. If the Thai government is self-serving, obstinate and corrupt then democracy is working well.

• Like 2

Anand couldn't keep his mouth closed for three seconds and is all over wiki leaks.

Yes, he did make some comments about the crown prince that Wikileaks picked up and which he probably wishes he's never made - these make him even more a stakeholder in ensuring that Thaksin never returns.

In general a good editorial with some pertinent and relevant posts, the subsequent posts regarding the standards of education are spot on. A population who are (generally) educated to a base level will always be easier to coerce, manipulate and lie to. Their understanding of the workings of democracy will, to a great extent, be irrelevant as they will continue to see only the shallow vote buying tactics as "the norm" and how it has always been done, for too many it is the way the government is chosen with no desire for change.

There is one brief section of what is a fine editorial that does disturb me "Thaksin Shinawatra should "think really hard" about the country's wellbeing, and so should his opponents" That the article still refers to this individuals power and influence in such a way is disturbing, and goes part of the way in explaining part of the problem in Thailand. Yes the reality is that he still enjoys far too much remote control on the system and events, but while the mainstream media comment on this as normal, how can we expect the population as a whole to see that it is a flagrant abuse of the democratic system and as such is unacceptable? That it is openly confirmed by ministers that a convicted criminal still takes part in government policy meetings from abroad, ridicules the Thai democratic system throughout Asia. How can the rest of the world possibly see us as equals and worthy of inclusion, when it is routinely accepted by high ranking ministers that this kind of management is not only acceptable but preferred.

Like many I may be a guest in this beautiful country but my concern for it, and the native population, is very real. That "brick wall" is indeed hurtling towards us with no indication that the government is remotely concerned, the fairly imminent collision will affect us all, both Thai and foreigner...

"Thaksin Shinawatra should "think really hard" about the country's wellbeing......"

Concern for the host is not a normal function of parasites.

Why did you leave off the rest of that quote?

That states "and so should his opponents" the yellows are experts at misrepresenting facts as they exist, or in fact stated.

The truth the whole true and nothing but the truth!

Cheers

IMO ... the forthcoming economic crisis ( its only a matter of time ) will see the real civil uprising will occur , Thais think day to day .... when the majority have no money , no jobs , then u will see a redistribution of wealth and perhaps an opening for a new govt, run by the people for the people .....once the liquidity stops the party will begin and very quickly i might add ...

Are by the people for the people, the same as Burma and Cambodia in resent times?