Falang pub in Chiang mai

Maybole

The pub is a nice place to chill out and have a relaxing quite pint or 2 or 20.

Graham the owner is a nice guy, if he likes you. It`s now right opposite the new Maya shopping mall on the Huay Kaew Road. As some have mentioned it does seem to attract the older crowd, but it`s certainly worth a try. In my opinion it`s the closest thing to a real authentic English pub that you’re ever going to find in Chiang Mai.

There are some attractive waitresses in there, nice eye candy to enjoy while eating your meal or having a drink. Graham also has some very nice little chalets to stay the night.

Here is the website:

http://www.thepubchiangmai.com/

The Red Lion is also very nice, but it`s more touristy than the the Pub.

Been here many years and still never been. It didn't appeal to me in the past because I knew obnoxious Rhodesian tobacco guys and some of the obnoxious long-tern arrogant farangs from Maddog drank there. I saw one in the video - the east-end spiv pensioner pretending to read the paper lols.

• Like 1

Graham the owner is a nice guy, if he likes you. It`s now right opposite the new Maya shopping mall on the Huay Kaew Road. As some have mentioned it does seem to attract the older crowd, but it`s certainly worth a try. In my opinion it`s the closest thing to a real authentic English pub that you’re ever going to find in Chiang Mai.

There are some attractive waitresses in there, nice eye candy to enjoy while eating your meal or having a drink. Graham also has some very nice little chalets to stay the night.

Here is the website:

Been here many years and still never been. It didn't appeal to me in the past because I knew obnoxious Rhodesian tobacco guys and some of the obnoxious long-tern arrogant farangs from Maddog drank there. I saw one in the video - the east-end spiv pensioner pretending to read the paper lols.

Thanks for the tip. I certainly would not want to associate with people like that.

OP; please ignore my previous recommendation. BTW, what is long-tern and a paper lols?

The Olde Bell and Queen Vic unfortunately closed for the very reason you liked them......... they were quiet!

Check back the Olde Bell topic. Was not related to being quiet.

Anyway: Mad Dog?

Mad Dog isnt what I would class as a pub, a pub in my mind would have indoor seating where its AC'd

if we are on that path then Chiang Mai Saloon

The Olde Bell and Queen Vic unfortunately closed for the very reason you liked them......... they were quiet!

Check back the Olde Bell topic. Was not related to being quiet.

Anyway: Mad Dog?

Mad Dog isnt what I would class as a pub, a pub in my mind would have indoor seating where its AC'd

if we are on that path then Chiang Mai Saloon

I hope it doesn`t have obnoxious Rhodesian tobacco guys and some obnoxious long-term arrogant farangs from Mad dog or an east-end spiv pensioner reading a newspaper.

• Like 1

My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen.

Is that a euphemism for "I couldn't take them home"?

LOL, no. wink.png

If you ask me, the rent was probably too high to keep both places going.

I think they own the buildings they're currently in. (But perhaps not the old place across the soi that's now a health spa; not sure)

used to be great but prices and strictness brought it down - they clear tables faster than most Chinese takeaways and I get nervous when near the end of a beer as they will swooooooooooop down within milliseconds

Graham the owner is a nice guy, if he likes you. It`s now right opposite the new Maya shopping mall on the Huay Kaew Road. As some have

I don't understand this, he's either a nice guy or he's not.

• Like 1

re

Chiangmai Saloon has their moderate prices posted and they actually have a steady flow of customers

hes right smile.png .. pic taken last month !

dave2

But does the owner really need to sit out front every night looking like a customer?

• Like 1

Here is the website:

Thanks for the tip. I certainly would not want to associate with people like that.

OP; please ignore my previous recommendation. BTW, what is long-tern and a paper lols?

'long tern' or 'big turd' is northern English vernacular for dodgy financial advisor. 'paper' is the value of a dodgy financial advisor's investment that uses your money.

Edited by Loaded

re

But does the owner really need to sit out front every night looking like a customer?

i dont know ... im not a customer !

but it works for the my place owner ... when hes there out front the place is usually busy ... when hes not there its like a morgue :(

even though hes got a couple of little lovelies serving

dave2

post-42592-0-14089100-1394801747_thumb.j

wonder why number one bar lost its popularity,at one stage he had two bars each side of the road doing great business,few times i go past now,one is a and massage place and the main bar is always empty,strange.

Prices?

Lack of girls?

Although this is a chicken and egg thing; did customers stop coming because the girls left, or did the girls leave because not enough customers..

Theory: Due to opening the second place on the river (Chill Out) some of the experienced staff went overthere and may have caused a drop in staff numbers / experience that caused a drop in customers, which in turn caused a drop in staff, then it just spirals down from there.

Some of the long term staff also moved on, either to other bars or to move on in life (getting married, etc.) And there are no new arrivals to make up the numbers.

And I can tell you why I personally stopped going frequently, which was actually before the decline. ( But then I'm different from almost anyone else when it comes to bar preferences. My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen. And maybe some of the staff also left for similar reasons (being over-managed impacts staff even more of course), at least for the contingent who now work in different bars. ) Maybe I'll ask some of them and find out for sure.

A lot of foreign-managed bars suffer from over-management. Doesn't really work in this country and this industry.

certainly no one ever went there for the girls did they? i frequented the Loy Kroh location a number of times and there were only plump, dark, Isaanites working there; less than attractive to say the least.

re

Chiangmai Saloon has their moderate prices posted and they actually have a steady flow of customers

hes right smile.png .. pic taken last month !

dave2

he sits out there and gets crocked. family members have to peel him off the bar stool and drive him home each night. actually, he is not a bad guy. i've had a number of chats with him and if he likes you he insists on buying the drinks. i think he just enjoys the social atmosphere. his family are all very nice people too. i used to drink in there fairly often but haven't been driving too much at night recently so i don't get into the city often.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

wonder why number one bar lost its popularity,at one stage he had two bars each side of the road doing great business,few times i go past now,one is a and massage place and the main bar is always empty,strange.

Prices?

Lack of girls?

Although this is a chicken and egg thing; did customers stop coming because the girls left, or did the girls leave because not enough customers..

Theory: Due to opening the second place on the river (Chill Out) some of the experienced staff went overthere and may have caused a drop in staff numbers / experience that caused a drop in customers, which in turn caused a drop in staff, then it just spirals down from there.

Some of the long term staff also moved on, either to other bars or to move on in life (getting married, etc.) And there are no new arrivals to make up the numbers.

And I can tell you why I personally stopped going frequently, which was actually before the decline. ( But then I'm different from almost anyone else when it comes to bar preferences. My main reason was that the place is a little over-managed, with very strict formats and rules for the staff. I personally prefer bars where something unexpected can happen. And maybe some of the staff also left for similar reasons (being over-managed impacts staff even more of course), at least for the contingent who now work in different bars. ) Maybe I'll ask some of them and find out for sure.

A lot of foreign-managed bars suffer from over-management. Doesn't really work in this country and this industry.

certainly no one ever went there for the girls did they? i frequented the Loy Kroh location a number of times and there were only plump, dark, Isaanites working there; less than attractive to say the least.

Unfortunately the Thais are convinced that western men are only attracted to the above described ladies.. so now we are stuck with them in every western orientated watering hole