classy gift for a Thai urban lady

manarak

I'm in a situation where I am not expected to come empty handed - I need to bring a gift to a young (about 29) lady of urban background (I think upper middle class or hi class), she is the wife of a Thai friend.

The gift should be nice and of reasonable cost.

So... what gifts would anyone suggest?

Depends on the occasion and how well you know your friend and his wife. At one end of the spectrum (newly made friends inviting you to their place for a first meal) then something of a non-permanent nature may be OK such as flowers (not red roses obviously!) or something edible. At the other end of the range (such as the birthday of very good friend's wife) then something more permanent is appropriate. A cut cut glass vase or bowl may do the trick. I come from The Netherlands, and admit to using a stock of Delft vases for such occasions (it also helps the industry back home and is a little more personal without being OTT). But that's my view. Interested to hear other replies. (BTW Don't invite me to dinner if you don't have space for a vase on your mantelshelf).

• Like 2

I stopped at a Harrods at Heathrow on my way home this time and bought my GF a handbag and put some things inside of it, teddy bear, sweets, perfume etc. It didn't cost much, maybe $50 all up and she was pretty happy with it. It was also easy for me to carry. Remember they love brand names!

I would suggest a nice bottle of perfume.

Some companies sell a 5 or 6 small perfume bottles, with different essence, in one packet.

Or a set of, eye colouring, chick colouring variety, about 10 different colours, including the brushes, in one set.

Just my suggestion.

Edited by Costas2008

If she is the wife of your friend, it should not be things like perfume or clothing or handbags or anything else so personal that would only be appropriate for a girlfriend, bar girl or at least a female friend who you know quite well.

If you are going to their home, but bringing a gift for her, presumably it's her birthday or something else for which the focus is exclusively her?? If not, the gift should be made to the couple or the family who are hosting the event.

Stick with the flowers.

Edited by Suradit69

I stopped at a Harrods at Heathrow on my way home this time and bought my GF a handbag and put some things inside of it, teddy bear, sweets, perfume etc. It didn't cost much, maybe $50 all up and she was pretty happy with it. It was also easy for me to carry. Remember they love brand names!

Yeh, LOS is full of brand names...............whistling.gif

A lovely piece of Benjarong ceramics. Famous and well known in and out of Thailand. An elegant gift that will take it's proper place in their home. Best place to buy is Chatuchak Market. Comes with a beautful silk covered box with lovely quilted lining. An array of beautiful colors.Depending on the size of the piece the price will vary,but for sure can buy a great looking piece for about 400-600THB including the gift box. I have personally given these types of gifts on many occasions and have always been well received.

It really depends on how well you know this lady. Even if the husband is sophisticated, she may not be. If you know that she is sophisticated, I would suggest a bottle of wine (they may decide to share it during dinner, which would be nice). Otherwise I would suggest a box of chocolates but not a cheap one.. It would always be nice to bring something that they do not easily find in Thailand but nevertheless would appreciate. I would stay away from anything that is durable - vases, household items etc as people can be funny about this. If you bring flowers, get some advice on what kind of flowers to bring - the florist could help you with this, if you trust them. Good luck!

I would chose flowers and chocolate, preferably in some nice looking boxes from Godiva. The flowers can be any colour as long as it is a mix but awoid red roses or white coloured flowers if you chose single colour.

Buying perfume is not as easy as it seems as fragances give different sents on diffrent women, and as someone mentioned, it is better reserved for ones wife or GF.

$50 for a bag, perfume, and teddy bear...from Harrods, you're joking. A plastic carrier is about $20, what perfume did you buy for christ's sake...555
  • Like 2

Harrods... handbag... perfume...brand names... $50... blink.png

Did you mean $500?

• Like 1