Online share trading in Thailand

Hi,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I am wondering if any farangs make some drinking money doing online trading from Thailand? I'm currently going through the process of making the move to Thailand and would like to make some money trading online which I've done for years here in Australia. I take it you can't just use your Commsec or CMC accounts (this is what I would like to use) like you would normally as you would need an Australian residential address and Australian contact phone number. I would be looking at trading solely the ASX so the Thai SET 50 and local Thai brokers would be no good to me and Interactive Brokers looks messy and complicated. I'm happy.....well not happy but willing to pay tax to the ATO for CGT if need be. Also is it still the case that you don't pay any CGT on income derived from overseas investments in Thailand. Not sure if that's changed or not?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated and great informative forum for everything Thai.

CL

• Like 1

Not sure why you can't use the accounts you currently use in Australia if they do online trading. Once the account is set up you should be able to do everything online including moving money from your trading account to your bank account and vice versa. That your your residential address and telephone number may be "a bit out of date" shouldn't be a big deal.

I trade thru a UK broker and have just keep my old address for their records. Confirmations etc are paperless anyway.

I also use Standard Chartered Bank in Singapore to trade US, UK, Singapore and Australian stocks. Not a great platform but functional, all online and easy to transfer to/from bank accounts

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

To open a trading acc. for SET here in Thailand you need to have a work permit, or any type or residency visa, not a tourist visa, bank account, fixed address (where to receive your letters: monthly statement reports, trading reports, dividend)

as well, during the opening process they request bank statement (last 3 months)

all the best.

• 2 weeks later...