Govt vows to continue its protest site retrieval operation

Lite Beer

BANGKOK, 16 February 2014 (NNT) – The government has pledged to forge ahead with its operation to reclaim public areas that have been seized by the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, as chief of the Center for Maintaining Peace and Order (CMPO), has made known that the government will not stop until it has reclaimed all the sites taken by the protesters. According to him, the Friday’s “Operation Valentine” to retrieve public areas had shown that the officers could seize all the sites back if they wanted to, but fears of clashes and violence prompted the police to do it peacefully without using any force.

The minister vowed the government would not stop until all the sites were given back to the people, adding that the operation was not designed to disperse the protesters, but only to apprehend the core leaders wanted under arrest warrants.

He revealed that some illegal objects had been found during the Friday’s operation.

He also dismissed claims that the operation was launched to protect his seat as the CMPO chief.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-16 footer_n.gif

Over 200 police officers on standby ready to reclaim Chaengwattana protest site

BANGKOK, 16 February 2014 (NNT) - Around two companies of police officers have blocked Chaengwattana road where anti-government protesters are camped since Sunday morning. Talks will be held with their leaders in an effort to take the occupied area back.

Gunshots and firecrackers were heard at 2 AM on Sunday at Chaengwattana but no injuries were reported. There was also sound of gunfire last night near the head office of the PTT company which is the rally site of the People’s Army and the Thailand’s Energy Reform Network. No injuries have been reported.

At 1 PM today, Superintendent of the Thung Song Hong Police Station Pol.Col. Athip Phongsiwaphai will meet with Phra Phuttha Issara, the protest leader at Chaengwattana, to ask him to return the occupied Government Complex.

xnntlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-ZeqzANMpW.web
-- NNT 2014-02-16

• Like 1

Another police attempt to reclaim Chaengwattana government complex

2-16-2014-11-40-00-AM-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Another police attempt to reclaim Chaengwattana government complexAnother police attempt to reclaim Chaengwattana government complex

Police closed the Chaengwattana road to all traffic early this morning (Sunday) in yet another attempt to reclaim the government complex from anti-government protesters.
Hundreds of policemen together with trucks for detaining suspects were deployed at Chaengwattana road from Soi 14 to the TOT office early in the morning and they eventually sealed off the road to traffic.

It was reported that Pol Col Athip Pongsivapai, superintendent of Thung Song Hong police, would told talks with Phra Buddha Issara, leader of the protesters at the Chaengwattana protest site, for the return of the government complex at about 1 pm today.

Police tried yesterday to disperse the protesters but later retreated. The protesters did not put up violent resistance as they chanted prayers.

Gunshots and explosions from giant firecrackers were heard at the Chaengwattana protest site and also at the PTT head office where another group of protesters have been holding out for over a month.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/another-police-attempt-reclaim-chaengwattana-government-complex/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=another-police-attempt-reclaim-chaengwattana-government-complex

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-02-16

2-16-2014-11-40-00-AM-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Another police attempt to reclaim Chaengwattana government complexAnother police attempt to reclaim Chaengwattana government complex

Great illustration of the whole police intervention farce - which way are we to go and will it be befor e or after we take hands out of the pockets? Perhaps they're waiting for Chalerm but it's too late on the day for him.

The mirage of the " prize " of regaining access to these buildings has had such an alluring glare to Chalerm that the actual reality of them being retaken has not yet taken root. For once officials enter them and sit down, they will actually realize that they can do - nothing. This administration - through its dissolution and lack of quorum - is disempowered, constitutionally - from doing anything. Those who express great relief at the sight of officials sitting at their desks are easily pleased. In the meantime, Chalerm's gambit to save his bacon as the head of CMPO, is fizzling. Government House was apparently retaken yesterday. Yet, shortly after the symbolic retaking, the police quietly went home, and the protesters quietly returned. The interplay of saving face is all that remains of this waltz, as each side recognizes the necessity to grant it.

Edited by Scamper
  • Like 1

Isn't it curious that one PDRC leader, Suriyasi, starts the rumour on his Facebook page that Chalerm wants to be PM and needs to show how suitable he is and the suthep "I'm no fan of suthep, but" sheeple lap it up as the gospel truth. Priceless.

Facebook - the new opium for the masses.

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

How can several hundred police in riot gear who apperently chased away protesters be considered "not designed to disperse protesters"?

And again? How can they state this operation was "only to apprehend the core leaders" and at the same time they state "that the government will not stop until it has reclaimed all the sites taken by the protesters.

Clearly they dont know what they are saying.

Im no fan of the protesters or the hassles they have caused at and near these sites. But the constitutional court has ruled these demonstrations as legal and within the peoples rights.

So what right does the CMPO have to do this??

No matter what the minister says he is facing human rights and constitutional violation by forcing these people to leave. No one can say force was not used as it was in clear print yesterday that there were some injuries to protesters who tried to block the riot gear packing police.

Its been clear that court rulings be they criminal, civil, or constitutional are not abided by the CMPO and various other gov organizations and leaders.

So the only possible reason for doing this is to protect his job by showing strength.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"How can several hundred police in riot gear who apperently chased away protesters be considered "not designed to disperse protesters"?"

I can explain that: Most policemen resist violence, specially against elderly women and beautiful girls. These aren't "designed to disperse protesters".

But there are some very red police, specially at the border patrol police close to Myanmar (I think these) they are "designed to disperse protesters".

Chalerm said he was going to go in disguise with undercover cops to arrest protest leaders. Didn't happen. Chalerm said he was going to close down protest sites on Valentines day. Didn't work. So to save face Chalerm said he used 2000 police in riot gear to arrest the protest leaders. Didn't work. So plant a few guns and drugs and call it a win win.

I find it amazing that the protestors had over 8 hours warning they would be set upon by the regime and they didn't hide or remove any weapons or drugs. Not only that they didn't use any of these weapons on the police. Yet there were a few firecrackers going off and not one firecracker was recovered from the protest sites.

I wonder why the regime of accused mass murderer, convicted criminal and fugitive Thaksin chose the sacred Buddhist holiday to send the regime police, notorious for their brutality and already guilty of killing several protesters as well as overseeing brazen broad daylight assassinations targeting PDRC protest leaders. They chose it because they knew they were planting "evidence" and Thaksin could ship his sister up north to be well away from the predictably incompetent and messy operation overseen by Chalerm.

​Thaksin ships yingluck around so much he really needs to tattoo a "Ship this way up" sign on her head with arrows pointing up.

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 2

There is no doubt in my mind, from my regular trips through the Chaeng Wattana complex, that the police could retake this site fairly easily given a day and the correct impetus. Something else is controlling this situation and it says something about the seeming castration of the caretaker government and its angry little pet dog Chalerm. Time will tell but 3 attempts with 100s (I saw approx 500 riot police yesterday) of police available I feel that if they wanted to they would have by now.

From my selfish perspective I just want the road cleared but with no right to say that I will live with whatever they feel is right and it would seem, for now, that this is how it will be. As you might note from my report on the protest site this action has only made the situation worse again so I wish they would either clear it or leave it alone.

Picking a spot will only make it angry.

Isn't it curious that one PDRC leader, Suriyasi, starts the rumour on his Facebook page that Chalerm wants to be PM and needs to show how suitable he is and the suthep "I'm no fan of suthep, but" sheeple lap it up as the gospel truth. Priceless.

Facebook - the new opium for the masses.

Like many others in PTP, not least the PM, Chalerm confuses his ambitions with his abilities.

• Like 1

Chalerm's problem is that he is using the police to conduct this operation. Even though the government is giving extra pay, the police are still incompetent to do the work at hand. Ask the line patrolmen to take bribes from motorcyclists with no helmets and they will excel. Ask their commanders to take bribes and look the other way when gambling operations are in plain view and they will excel. Look at the photo above. They are disorganized and there are no clear directives coming from Chalerm. The protesters are very few (according to the Thaksin lovers on this forum) and mostly unarmed, old ladies who don't have jobs to go to. So why is it taking so long?

Even if they were, miraculously, able to take back the site, what's to stop the protesters from moving to another location and setting up shop. This government has no clue what it is doing or what to do and so they are making a show of doing something. What a joke they are.

Maybe the police are imcompetent for this kind of operation but who else can or should they use? Can't be military, so who else?

About time! Suthep's made his point and has awakened people to what this corrupt government is doing to the point where they are being investigated for said corruption. Now can we all have these agencies re opened so that we may get on with our lives? Thanks from Waiting To Exhale.

If he stops now, everything will continue like it is....actually it will continue as an almost single party system without opposition.

And all that opposed Thaksin will be in big troubles, specially the courts. There were already talks to "change the structure" of the courts.

And even if Yingluck must go, we get her sister or brother in law (both in parliament, actually 5 of the family now) as premier.

If there should be a change Suthep must continue now.

Really? So you are saying those disrupting ordinary citizens from recourse to justice/civil and criminal adjudication via this complex truly are self interested selfish children. There is no reason for them to maintain this strategy. They couldn't give a crap about the ongoing massive inconvenience they are causing and should, given the present circumstances as stated in my post, bugger off back home! ENOUGH already mad.gif

• Like 1

How can several hundred police in riot gear who apperently chased away protesters be considered "not designed to disperse protesters"?

And again? How can they state this operation was "only to apprehend the core leaders" and at the same time they state "that the government will not stop until it has reclaimed all the sites taken by the protesters.

Clearly they dont know what they are saying.

Im no fan of the protesters or the hassles they have caused at and near these sites. But the constitutional court has ruled these demonstrations as legal and within the peoples rights.

So what right does the CMPO have to do this??

No matter what the minister says he is facing human rights and constitutional violation by forcing these people to leave. No one can say force was not used as it was in clear print yesterday that there were some injuries to protesters who tried to block the riot gear packing police.

Its been clear that court rulings be they criminal, civil, or constitutional are not abided by the CMPO and various other gov organizations and leaders.

So the only possible reason for doing this is to protect his job by showing strength.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Preventing government workers into their worplace and entering their workplace to harass them is criminal trespass; it is not a simple freedom of speech anymore than me going into your house to peacefully protest. The Constitutional Court recognized freedom of speech as part of the anti-government protests bbut clearly avoided ruling on any criminal aspects of the protests that it said are better dealt with by the police than gthe court.

• Like 1

Chalerm's problem is that he is using the police to conduct this operation. Even though the government is giving extra pay, the police are still incompetent to do the work at hand. Ask the line patrolmen to take bribes from motorcyclists with no helmets and they will excel. Ask their commanders to take bribes and look the other way when gambling operations are in plain view and they will excel. Look at the photo above. They are disorganized and there are no clear directives coming from Chalerm. The protesters are very few (according to the Thaksin lovers on this forum) and mostly unarmed, old ladies who don't have jobs to go to. So why is it taking so long?

Even if they were, miraculously, able to take back the site, what's to stop the protesters from moving to another location and setting up shop. This government has no clue what it is doing or what to do and so they are making a show of doing something. What a joke they are.

Maybe the police are imcompetent for this kind of operation but who else can or should they use? Can't be military, so who else?

There are few countries in the world where police operate independently of government jurisprudence. Where they are found it is usually where you see government coups or anarchy. I don't see how Thailand can operate as a truly democratic nation when there is no real mechanism to assure the Rule of Law. For police to function as they see fit (ie., to hide from any violence or criminal activity) without regards to the Rule of Law is just as corrupt as a government official taking a bribe.

There are few countries in the world where police operate independently of government jurisprudence. Where they are found it is usually where you see government coups or anarchy. I don't see how Thailand can operate as a truly democratic nation when there is no real mechanism to assure the Rule of Law. For police to function as they see fit (ie., to hide from any violence or criminal activity) without regards to the Rule of Law is just as corrupt as a government official taking a bribe.

That's all very interesting but doesn't answer the question, if not the police, who else?

Mmmm..... if not the police than who???? What a perplexing question!

I was at a protest site about three weeks ago and I saw a guy with a Spiderman's costume on.

I'd say Chalerm should put on an Iron Man's outfit and meet Suthep at Government House. If there is a standoff, Chalerm can use his ray gun and wrist rockets. It is the perfect character for Chalerm. That way he kills two birds with one stone. He gets to run around in a costume like a five year old and he faces off against Suthep.

I wonder why the regime of accused mass murderer, convicted criminal and fugitive Thaksin chose the sacred Buddhist holiday to send the regime police, notorious for their brutality and already guilty of killing several protesters as well as overseeing brazen broad daylight assassinations targeting PDRC protest leaders.

Regardless of what "side" you have taken, when you use language like this your post loses all credibility.

..........only with unreasonale red shirt protestors - the rest of us KNOW hes right!!

• Like 2

About time indeed. And please re'open Asoke intersection today.

Yes, please. Someone get rid of the stage, the speakers, the noise.. It's enough.

Or set up shop elsewhere: preferably far, far away from here.

Where were you in 2010? Or are you one sided?